Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

I'm starting to think Eric B is not as bad in interviews as many people say.

It may just be there are not a lot of good answers you can give when employers question you about a rap sheet like that.

"Why didn't you testify?"

"Did you provide prostitutes and alcohol to kids?"

"Why did you choke a lady out?"

Hard to come out of a job interview smelling like hotel soap when you gotta fend off questions like that. That'll depth charge anybody.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

It may just be there are not a lot of good answers you can give when employers question you about a rap sheet like that.

Hard to come out of a job interview smelling like hotel soap when you gotta fend off questions like that. That'll depth charge anybody.

100% this. Saying well that was 20 years ago is not a real answer either anymore unfortunately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

They were the number 2 ranked defense in the league with an offensive head coach so he couldn't have sucked too bad

The Eagles were loaded on defense but Gannon is getting killed here for his pedestrian Super Bowl defense where he had no answers for the Chiefs. No sacks and blew a 10 point halftime lead. 

Many here in the Philly area are glad he's going to Arizona so they can get someone else to replace him. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

I feel better about Roman than Bieniemy, whom I still feel uneasy about. Would be fine with Shurmur or Lynn — disappointed with Zampese but not end of the world.

This is from a total outside perspective, though. Without knowing the details, it’s not much more robust than dart-throwing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I didn't know this stuff about Bienemy...it explains a lot.

Wonder if this team gets roasted if they elect not to sign Bieniemy.  You got the narrative about him missing out on HC jobs but if he shoots for a coordinator job and doesn't get that -- that feels a bit embarassing especially after Andy Reid pushing this so hard.

I think a wildcard here is payday.  Greg Roman got 3.5 million a year.  Hard for me to picture Dan giving something like that.  And Bieniemy also from what I read is expecting a big pay day.

This isn't the organization to go to anymore for assistant coaches who want to get paid.  Also I believe if I understand the rules, Roman would be had for free in season 1 because the Ravens are paying his salary so it would be about the seasons after -- so maybe Roman ironically ends up cheaper? 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if this team gets roasted if they elect not to sign Bieniemy.  You got the narrative about him missing out on HC jobs but if he shoots for a coordinator job and doesn't get that -- that feels a bit embarassing especially after Andy Reid pushing this so hard.

I think a wildcard here is payday.  Greg Roman got 3.5 million a year.  Hard for me to picture Dan giving something like that.  And Bieniemy also from what I read is expecting a big pay day.

This isn't the organization to go to anymore for assistant coaches who want to get paid.  Also I believe if I understand the rules, Roman would be had for free in season 1 because the Ravens are paying his salary so it would be able the seasons after -- so maybe Roman ironically ends up cheaper? 

Roman would not be free. His salary from Washington would offset what he’s owed by the Ravens. If Ravens were paying him 3 mil and Washington pays him 2 mil for 2023 then he would only collect 1 mil from the Ravens. He has to make an effort to find employment. His interviewing fulfills that commitment. He can sit on the sofa now and collect the Ravens check if he wants. The Cardinals head coach made a mistake and said he’s going to Thailand and not interested in coaching to the media. You have to make an effort to seek employment as part of these deals. 

If there is in an offset like in Roman’s case the agent usually negotiates the deal with a ramp so it’s minimal money while there is a second salary but if it’s too obvious the previous team can go to arbitration and not have to pay because they would argue the structure is designed to avoids being paid market rate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd imagine Eric B.'s response would be something along the lines of...

"So I think of all the devious things I did

I used to roll up, this is a hold up, ain't nothing funny
Stop smiling, be still, don't nutin' move but the money

But now I learned to earn 'cause I'm righteous"

Drops mic.

Crazy as this sounds could we hire both EB and Roman?. Roman could be a Running game coordinator/RB coach (non play calling duties and just designs run plays for the offense) and EB be the Offense Coordinator (the play caller). If EB gets a head coaching Job after a year and the owner keeps Ron for 2024 provided they make the playoffs- just promote Roman to Offensive Coordinator. Not saying this will happen and if this is in our budget but just an idea. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if this team gets roasted if they elect not to sign Bieniemy.

I think the NFL gets flak either way without much direction towards us.

If he does not get the job: More of what we have already seen directed at the league.

If he gets the job: Why is he only able to secure a bad OC position w/ next to no job security. Shame on the NFL.

Best case scenario for EB is if he does really well and the new owner makes him the head coach. Given his past I think the only way he gets a gig is being on a staff and the head coach retires or leaves. However, if he does really well and finally lands a gig elsewhere we would get two 3rd rd comp picks. That upside potential is worth it in a lame duck year in my opinion. If it doesn’t work out it all blows up next off season anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Unless I missed something with the previous interviews this one seems more involved? For lack of a better word.

Almost feels like its his job to lose?

Andy Reid wants to give the KC OC job back to Nagy. He asked Ron to take on EB. All the interviews and everything else has been for show. 

• Like 1

This is just mental meandering. I'm assuming any final take Ron has on hiring will be football focused.

But knowing Ron's commitment to minority hiring and all that's tied to that topic NFL wise and in larger scope, I wonder if he'll be pulled more to wanting EB to be the guy if interviews are solid enough.

I can see it being a big meaty off season story if RR in particular is the guy who breaks the EB dam. The whole narrative of EB being unjustly denied so long sets up a big media splash where Ron being Ron is the guy who hires EB with the possiblity of grooming him for the next HC of the commanders even under a new owner. Lots of big media stuff there that may appeal to a new owner.

It's an "early in the off season" thought. 😛

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

This is just mental meandering. I'm assuming any final take Ron has on hiring will be football focused.

But knowing Ron's commitment to minority hiring and all that's tied to that topic NFL wise and in larger scope, I wonder if he'll be pulled more to wanting EB to be the guy if interviews are solid enough.

I can see it being a big meaty off season story if RR in particular is the guy who breaks the EB dam. The whole narrative of EB being unjustly denied so long sets up a big media splash where Ron being Ron is the guy who hires EB with the possiblity of grooming him for the next HC of the commanders even under a new owner. Lots of big media stuff there that may appeal to a new owner.

It's an "early in the off season" thought. 😛

Agree.  Ron has talked about minority hires.  He's been a touted leader in adding women in higher ranks.  The new rap of we got better culture in that building centers a lot on diversity. 

Hiring Bieniemy considering the context of what's lead to this point -- has a bonus component to the narrative of them being forward thinking on diversity.

Add that to the cache of coming off a SB win and his pedigree, Bieniemy would likely be a rare blockbuster PR hit for this team

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Ron has talked about minority hires.  He's been a touted leader in adding women in higher ranks.  The new rap of we got better culture in that building centers a lot on diversity. 

Hiring Bieniemy considering the context of what's lead to this point -- has a bonus component to the narrative of them being forward thinking on diversity.

Add that to the cache of coming off a SB win and his pedigree, Bieniemy would likely be a rare blockbuster PR hit for this team

Until they ask EB at the opening press conference “why did you choke a female parking lot attendant  at the Colorado campus and threaten to rape her?”. This one can go in either direction. I can see a Sally Jenkins hit piece in the Washington Post blowing up the positive vibes.