Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ohama.com: Living With Children: You shouldn't high-five a child

Cooked Crack

Should you high-five a child?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should you high-five a child?

• Yeah, why not?
    • You got to be 21+ to get a high five from me.

Arrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh! Will you please just stop doing that, please? Every time I see it, I want to scream, and I’m not an emotionally hyperactive person. I’m talking about adults high-fiving children, and yes, I am about to reveal that I am the Grinch, or so it would seem. 

Knowing my stance on the subject, a parent recently asked, “What’s wrong with adults high-fiving children, John?” 

I recognize a rhetorical question when I hear one. 

The fact that someone even asks that “question” is proof we are lost in Dante’s dark wood when it comes to children and their upbringing. 

The high-five is a gesture of familiarity, to be exchanged between equals. I have traded the palm slap with adult friends. “Dude! Gimme five!” I can be, and am, as cool as the next — the next adult, that is. I will not slap the upraised palm of a person who is not my peer, and a peer is someone over age 21, emancipated, employed and paying their own way.

https://omaha.com/ap/lifestyles/living-with-children-you-shouldnt-high-five-a-child/article_3ebb452a-40df-11ed-900e-07bdd647c271.html

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Haha 2

Wow, I high five the kids on the baseball team I coach plenty...I must be an asshole.

On a totally unrelated note, one of my adult friends used to jokingly refer to HIV as "giving someone a high five."  Kind of a sick sense of humor, but teaching you about Roman numerals at the same time.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think LITERALLY the first thing I taught both my kids is the high-five.  Like, you can't teach a 2-month old much, but they innately understand the concept of the high five. 

I teach kids the "High five, down low, TOO SLOW!" trick to prepare them for life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Buzz. He hates kids. 😆

Edit..but so do I and I really have no idea who it was. Sorry Buzz. 

Haha.  I like that that is what you know me for.  No offense taken.  But I actually voted the other way.

I try hard to limit my interactions with children (though not required in accordance with Megan's Law) but I see no problem with a high five.  If I know I can limit my interaction to a couple seconds but realize it will have a positive effect on the kid, I'll do a high five with them.

Edited by The Almighty Buzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

Wow, I high five the kids on the baseball team I coach plenty...I must be an asshole.

It has to be used carefully though. You can’t just give out high-fives because they didn’t completely **** the bed and lose you the game. 

A nod and a fist bump is enough for these over-entitled rugrats. Save the high five for the walk off homer.

Edited by Corcaigh