Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

Surely Schweitzer is a no-brainer re-sign?  Sure, he’s had some injury issues, but he’s a guy you feel comfortable if he has to start, and gives you insurance at G/C.

Then they have the chance to make a decision on Norwell and Roullier depending on how things shake out in the draft.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, skinny21 said:

Surely Schweitzer is a no-brainer re-sign?  Sure, he’s had some injury issues, but he’s a guy you feel comfortable if he has to start, and gives you insurance at G/C.

Then they have the chance to make a decision on Norwell and Roullier depending on how things shake out in the draft.

He's fine depth. But we need a legitimate starting LG. Cosmi can slide in at RG. 

We can't bank on Chris Paul. Dude has played, what, one game? And he was a super late rounder. Let him compete for a backup job sure and if he blows you away in camp then its a bonus.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's fine depth. But we need a legitimate starting LG. Cosmi can slide in at RG. 

We can't bank on Chris Paul. Dude has played, what, one game? And he was a super late rounder. Let him compete for a backup job sure and if he blows you away in camp then its a bonus.

Yep. I would let Paul be quality depth this year vs starting him unless they are super high on him. 

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed, we can’t bank on Paul, though I think him competing for a starting job is reasonable - even if it’s with a 1st rounder that’s presumed to win the job.

Maybe I’m not as down on Norwell as I should be, but if the draft shakes out in such a way that we address T and C instead, I don’t feel like him, Paul and Schweitzer competing is a terrible situation.  Certainly not ideal though.

I notice that no one is mentioning S. Charles in this discussion.  Paul seemed to be more of a LG, while Charles was tried on the right side of the line with "uneven results"

IMHO, Trai Turner will probably not be re-signed, but Norwell gets retained mainly ffor cap reasons, unless he really declines.  Schweitzer is likely brought back as a decent multipurpose IOL role and sometimes starter. 

I'm fairly confident  Cosmi gets slotted somewhere, and maybe both Leno and Lucas get retained too.  I've no idea when (or if) Roulllier will even be able to play at a decent level in 2023 and suspect Washington drafts a center to groom for Roullier's role.  So, depending on what other O-linemen Washington drafts, what are your thoughts on Charles still being on the roster for the 2023 season?

14 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I notice that no one is mentioning S. Charles in this discussion.  Paul seemed to be more of a LG, while Charles was tried on the right side of the line with "uneven results"

IMHO, Trai Turner will probably not be re-signed, but Norwell gets retained mainly ffor cap reasons, unless he really declines.  Schweitzer is likely brought back as a decent multipurpose IOL role and sometimes starter. 

I'm fairly confident  Cosmi gets slotted somewhere, and maybe both Leno and Lucas get retained too.  I've no idea when (or if) Roulllier will even be able to play at a decent level in 2023 and suspect Washington drafts a center to groom for Roullier's role.  So, depending on what other O-linemen Washington drafts, what are your thoughts on Charles still being on the roster for the 2023 season?

I can’t see him making the roster.  Not being able to earn a starting spot with all the turmoil they had on the line this season is very telling.  I‘m pretty confident he’ll be replaced when the final cuts are made.

• Like 2

Re-sign Schweitzer - can compete for backup G and C spots, then see how the draft goes.  If we land a center early, Roullier can be released, if we land a G early, Norwell can be released.

I think Charles is a definitely on the fringe, but I could see him as our 9th/10th guy - having a G/T as your last man can be valuable.

LT - Leno

LG - Paul competes with Norwell or an early round draftee

C - Roullier starts at center (unless we land a center early), backed up by Schweitzer and either a young guy, or a re-signed Larsen.

RG - Cosmi (maybe this is a competition with Schweitzer?)

RT - Lucas competes with a draft pick (if we don’t draft one, then Cosmi as the backup)

Gotta say, looking at that group, I’ll be somewhat surprised if we don’t draft 2 olinemen in the first 3 or 4 rds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Re-sign Schweitzer - can compete for backup G and C spots, then see how the draft goes.  If we land a center early, Roullier can be released, if we land a G early, Norwell can be released.

I think Charles is a definitely on the fringe, but I could see him as our 9th/10th guy - having a G/T as your last man can be valuable.

LT - Leno

LG - Paul competes with Norwell or an early round draftee

C - Roullier starts at center (unless we land a center early), backed up by Schweitzer and either a young guy, or a re-signed Larsen.

RG - Cosmi (maybe this is a competition with Schweitzer?)

RT - Lucas competes with a draft pick (if we don’t draft one, then Cosmi as the backup)

Gotta say, looking at that group, I’ll be somewhat surprised if we don’t draft 2 olinemen in the first 3 or 4 rds.

Pretty solid, I want Wes back. So you think Roullier and not Larsen with another add on form FA or hopefully the draft?

I am hoping 2 picks in the first 4 rounds go OL unless they get a nice FA

Edited by DWinzit

46 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Pretty solid, I want Wes back. So you think Roullier and not Larsen with another add on form FA or hopefully the draft?

I am hoping 2 picks in the first 4 rounds go OL unless they get a nice FA

Oh, I have no idea… though to be clear, I was saying either Roullier or an early draft pick starting at center (w/ Schweitzer and some other backup).

I’ve sort of been operating under the assumption we don’t land a quality FA lineman, instead leaning on the draft and in-house guys (Paul and Cosmi)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Finlay and Mitchell segment on just now talking about targeting Bradberry, Risnor, and Jawaan Taylor.  Obviously ownership issues play a part in what we can do in FA.  But those are the types of guys who could provide a big improvement to the line if they could get one or two of those.

I'd say no to Bradbury.  Strictly a zone corner.  I expect us to target CB in the early part of the draft.  The staff has shown they can develop young DBs.  If we are spending FA money, it has to be o-line.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I'd say no to Bradbury.  Strictly a zone corner.  I expect us to target CB in the early part of the draft.  The staff has shown they can develop young DBs.  If we are spending FA money, it has to be o-line.

I would hope their FA plan is to prioritize bringing in at least one starter capable OL and a vet QB to compete/work with Howell.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I assume it was reference to a different Bradbury, C as opposed to CB.......

35 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I assume it was reference to a different Bradbury, C as opposed to CB.......

Ah, I see that.  I'd say no to Garrett Bradbury.  Too much money, and a healthy Rouiller is a better player.  I'd keep Chase (and have a viable young replacement obviously).  If we targeting o-line (and going run-heavy), then McGary is the target.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Finlay and Mitchell segment on just now talking about targeting Bradberry, Risnor, and Jawaan Taylor.  Obviously ownership issues play a part in what we can do in FA.  But those are the types of guys who could provide a big improvement to the line if they could get one or two of those.

Agreed.  I love how those guys don't miss many games.  Jawaan Taylor in particular would be a nice signing, but it does look like his potential contract could be expensive.  14 AAV according to Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/jawaan-taylor-29070/market-value/

Risner's projected contract is only 9.5 AAV https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/dalton-risner-29077/market-value/

Risner should be more "gettable."  But that's also because he's not as good as Taylor, doesn't play tackle, and he's two years older.  Not a deal breaker since OLs can play for a while after losing their speed, but it does kind of feel like scrounging up that 5 million more to pay Taylor is a much better deal than going for Risner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:15 AM, mhd24 said:

Ah, I see that.  I'd say no to Garrett Bradbury.  Too much money, and a healthy Rouiller is a better player.  I'd keep Chase (and have a viable young replacement obviously).  If we targeting o-line (and going run-heavy), then McGary is the target.  

Too much money for Rouiller and without a major contract restructure as stated in a post above, we move on. Use the money more wisely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 10:27 PM, method man said:

Charles is definitely gone. He’s a RFA and I doubt they tender him. Also doubt he’d want to come back here if he is non tendered

Not sure if I’m correct here, but wasn’t it Saahdiq Charles getting serious love from Bieniemy on the day of his introductory press conference? Seemed a close connection there if it was ?

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Est.1974 said:

Not sure if I’m correct here, but wasn’t it Saahdiq Charles getting serious love from Bieniemy on the day of his introductory press conference? Seemed a close connection there if it was ?

You're right and maybe there's a chance he comes back to fight in camp for the minimum but they are morons if they tender him.

• Like 1