Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

6 minutes ago, method man said:

I took a look ahead at the draft and this doesn't seem to be a good center class. You probably have to run it back with Chase and give him another year. They need to have a contingency plan however for 2023

We are about to get a whole season try-out from his backups, so the solution there may already be on the roster. If one of the fill-ins proves serviceable, he is the emergency plan.

The bigger issue is we committed even more money to a guy who you can not be sure suffered no diminished ability from his last season ending injury, and now we are adding a knee surgery on top of it. Giving more money to basically a injured guy who didn't have a real oppo to prove he was over the first injury is risky.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

We are about to get a whole season try-out from his backups, so the solution there may already be on the roster. If one of the fill-ins proves serviceable, he is the emergency plan.

The bigger issue is we committed even more money to a guy who you can not be sure suffered no diminished ability from his last season ending injury, and now we are adding a knee surgery on top of it. Giving more money to basically a injured guy who didn't have a real oppo to prove he was over the first injury is risky.

I don’t think we gave out more did we ? Just converted salary to bonus to spread the cap impact out into future years. Instead of the 4.5mil all hitting this year it is being allocated over this year plus the next two, thus opening up 3mil in this years cap.

Vaild point on the injury uncertainty. 

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t think we gave out more did we ? Just converted salary to bonus to spread the cap impact out into future years. Instead of the 4.5mil all hitting this year it is being allocated over this year plus the next two, thus opening up 3mil in this years cap.

Correct, no new money.

Its more of an opportunity cost kind of shift, as this helps incentivize him reaching the life of his deal as he will be slightly more hurtful to cut. That's probably the way I should have put it before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Correct, no new money.

Its more of an opportunity cost kind of shift, as this helps incentivize him reaching the life of his deal as he will be slightly more hurtful to cut. That's probably the way I should have put it before.

Yeah it all but guarantees he’s back next year. Too much dead cap to cut him. Hopefully we can get him back to full health and on the field early in the offseason.

In other news, we need to draft OT and IOL in 2023 I’d say.

• Like 2

I'm hoping that O-Line Coach John Matzko can get the best out of these 2nd/3rd/4th string players.  That bunch has a lot of question-marks responsible for clearing running lanes, and maintaining a decent pocket for Wentz to step up into when he throws a pass.

Turner has got to realize that quick check-downs and too many screen plays isn't going to get the job done for a "passing game" especially if they want to keep defenses from shutting down the run.  ...And if they plan to stretch the field to keep the defense honest,  Wentz will need time (and a clean pocket) for any of the longer pass plays to develop.

It was strange to watch how Dallas could stack 8 in the box and shutdown the short stuff, decide they could still get enough pressure with only 3 D-linemen, and when they wanted to simply finish off Wentz with a delayed blitzer.  The Washington O-Line was that ineffective in pass protection.  Heck, I even started to wonder if all the screens were actually planned plays or simply desperation moves.

• Sad 1

With respect, if  Turner over-commits to the running game and the dink&dunk its likely Tennessee will feel comfortable in stacking the box --and then the Washington running game will have problems. 

Turner needs to play this week's opponent's weakness, not last week's.  While their D is stout, Dallas' defense had problems stopping the run; in contrast Tennessee has problems stopping the explosive play (usually a pass play.). We have to threaten to stretch the field, to make the running game effective enough to sell play faction passes.  So, pass-pro is going to be very important.

Edited by Wyvern

22 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Regarding the photo of the two Commanders OLs blocking each other, it shows how sad the state of OL is.  They plugging in guys they're bringing in off the street who can't even do the basic things.  This all falls back on Ron and the FO not addressing the position with quality depth.

No ron let the high skill players leave to sign more of his washed up former carolina players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Are we usually running power or zone or close to a 5050 mix?

Being serious now.  The current regime moved away from Gruden's preference for  power schemes, looking for more mobility and speed out of their O-Line.  However they didn't go to full zone blocking as was preferred and perfected by the Shanahan regime.  Part of the reason might be due to RB Gibson not being the typical "single cut-back and go" type of RB that meshes well wiTh zone-blocking plays.  (Now, it looked like Robinson was more like that type of runner with the bonus of a little power-running style too, but that's still to be seen).  

So while they wait for Robinson (or Gibson) to fill that style of running, looks like Turner has had to rely on power blocking  running plays more than he'd liked.  And now, with all the offensive line injuries -- who knows what style of running plays Turner feels best fits this latest O-Line abilities.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:49 AM, Wyvern said:

With respect, if  Turner over-commits to the running game and the dink&dunk its likely Tennessee will feel comfortable in stacking the box --and then the Washington running game will have problems. 

Turner needs to play this week's opponent's weakness, not last week's.  While their D is stout, Dallas' defense had problems stopping the run; in contrast Tennessee has problems stopping the explosive play (usually a pass play.). We have to threaten to stretch the field, to make the running game effective enough to sell play faction passes.  So, pass-pro is going to be very important.

What we need to do is pass more out of run formations. The problem(or one of the problems)seems to be that our formation is giving away our intent. We run out of obvious run formations and pass out of obvious pass formations. Now the run game is still working to an extent but Dallas all but shut it down in the 2nd half.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Its deja vu all over again, except last year we thought our D Line was this great strength before we got gashed by air and ground and this year we felt good about our O line and its decimated and an embarrassing punch line now. 

I had concerns about our depth on the interior of the OL. Its not really fair to compare since the DL had a ton of investment put into them.

We've had two All Pro caliber OL since Rivera has been here and he's let them both walk for essentially which amounts to nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is a ways out but, if I were GM, I'd try to first get a tackle in the offseason and move Cosmi inside to guard, where he can be a dominant Pro Bowl level player. The draft is one place to look to but I think Andre Dillard would be a potential steal in free agency. The dude has the misfortune of being stuck behind Mailata and Lane Johnson. When he has played, he gets penalized but has been very good. He could be the RT

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, method man said:

This is a ways out but, if I were GM, I'd try to first get a tackle in the offseason and move Cosmi inside to guard, where he can be a dominant Pro Bowl level player. The draft is one place to look to but I think Andre Dillard would be a potential steal in free agency. The dude has the misfortune of being stuck behind Mailata and Lane Johnson. When he has played, he gets penalized but has been very good. He could be the RT

Jawaan Taylor and Elton Jenkins are other guys I’d target. Give Charles a full season audition at guard.  Take the hit on the Norwell cut.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Jawaan Taylor and Elton Jenkins are other guys I’d target. Give Charles a full season audition at guard.  Take the hit on the Norwell cut.

My worries with Jenkins is that he's been dinged up over his career. I agree about giving Charles a full season audition at guard