Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Draft Order/Tracker - Current Pick #16

zCommander

8 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Man this draft scares me for QBs. Both high QB prospects are from Ohio St and Alabama. Two schools where QBs always fail in the NFL. 

What schools produce QBs like a factory? 

Right now the best QBs in the league are from powerhouses like...Texas Tech, Wyoming, and Louisville.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What schools produce QBs like a factory? 

Right now the best QBs in the league are from powerhouses like...Texas Tech, Wyoming, and Louisville.

None that I can think of. I just know every single QBs from these school have not have any success. 

Ohio State QB drafted. Justin Fields, Haskins, Don Scott, Johnny Borton, Dave Leggett, Frank Kremblas, Ron Maciejowski, Greg Hare, Cornelius Greene, Art Schlichter, Jim Karsatos, Tom Tupa, Kent Graham, Bobby Hoying, Joe Germaine, Steve Bellisari, Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones.

Alabama

Tua, Matt Jones,  Blake Barnett, Cooper Bateman, Jake Coker, Blake Sims, A.J McCarron, Greg McElroy, John Parker, Brodie Croyle. 

With Alabama you have to go back to 1962 to find a franchise QB lol. His name is Joe Namath.

Edited by djpapeleta360

The one silver lining from the first 4 games, is that we will certainly be in the Top 10 in the draft, and possibly in the Top 5, if we keep playing the way we have been.  This could actually be a good thing for us, since we never seem to suck when there's a great QB class available in the draft.  This is our opportunity to finally select our franchise QB in a great QB class.  If we suck enough, we can get rid of the below average coaching staff, and start anew with a new QB going forward.  I'm now going to be watching Alabama/OSU/Kentucky games moving forward, to see if we have a shot of getting one of those QB's in the 2023 Draft.  Hell, I just might watch any game with a potential 1st round QB prospect, to see which one I'm going to be rooting hard for to end up in B&G.

One more note, if Jalen Hurts keeps ascending this year and takes control of the QB position in Philly, that will help us out bigtime.  They have the Saint's 1st Round selection this year, and if the Saints are also picking in the Top 10, Philly could theoretically be in position to also draft a franchise QB if Hurts falls flat on his face.  We need Hurts to keep killing it, so that they don't become our competition in the draft for picking one of the top QB prospects.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Next 3 games are big if we lose them we are a total rebuild. Do we have any vet player other team would want that are worth trading for draft picks?

Even more than that, there's no one in the FO actually qualified to perform a proper rebuild. 

This team is beyond ****ed and it starts at the tip-top.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Tua and Hurts are fantastic this year and Mac is hardly the issue with the Pats.

Joe Burrow is pretty good too.

No school has a great track record of putting star QBs in the NFL.  They are usually one-offs and the vast majority of QBs that come from any school bust or have unremarkable careers.  The reason Ohio State and Alabama seem to stand out for producing busts is because they are blue blooded programs whose marginal NFL talents at the position get drafted based off playing winning football in college.  Until very recently, neither school tended to recruit five star QB prospects because paying those kids was too risky and expensive for teams that were already going to be powerhouses based on the way they bought the rest of their rosters.  It basically took until Tua for Alabama to start swimming in the 5 star QB pool, and that was basically an acknowledgement from Saban that he had to do it to keep winning championships after Clemson and Georgia and Oklahoma started recruiting the position at that level.

Name Image and Likeness dealing have taken the risk out of recruiting elite prospects for Ohio State and Alabama.  That's why they got those kids.  Bryce Young had over a million in NIL deals waiting for him at Alabama and I think CJ Stroud had like 1.7 million in deals when he signed for Ohio State.  These programs are recruiting and putting out a different caliber of QB prospect than they used to, and you see it in the fact these kids are first rounders now instead of late rounders like Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron and Troy Smith and Cardale Jones were.  Eventually some of them are going to land in good situations in the NFL and be successful.  It's probably already happened.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The school scouting of players especially QBs is beyond dumb in nearly all cases. Theres very few positions over the years that have a good track record. OSU DE Pass rushers. PSU LBs of the early 2000s. LSU WRs. 

Scout the player not the helmet

As a Penn State guy, I can not believe that Will Levis is in the conversation as a 1st round QB prospect.  He couldn't win the starting job for years at Penn State and was more of a gimmick RPO QB that would go in when the ball was near the goal line so he could plow in for a TD.

I'm glad for him, but floored at the success he's had at Kentucky.  I also wouldn't go anywhere near drafting him.

I know it is going to end up being the 2nd round pick swap and perhaps 2 3rds but it is painful what they gave up for Wentz. The 2nd round pick swap was relatively meaningless - I think they were set on Mathis and weren't going to take the guys that went between the picks. The third from 2022 was painful in hindsight. Willis was sitting right there and, although Howell has a much higher floor, Willis was the only one of those QBs with elite tools and thus elite upside. This third, if it stays a third, is going to effectively be a late second