Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

On 12/26/2023 at 10:33 AM, Wyvern said:

Just noticed that Rivera's birthday is Jan. 7.Β  Do you think the new ownership would fire him on his birthday?Β  Maybe they could at least wait until the 8th?

Β 

If I'm Ron I see that as a win-win.

Β 

See the owner at 09:00, get fired and cash a bunch of $$$ by 10:00, say goodbye to the guys at Redskins Park at 11:00, early date at 13:00 with the wife and get a "special present" at 16:00.

Β 

Media would spin it another way, though.

Β 

But they could spin the firing on Ron another day as a "humiliation" when no one else is getting fired. Like "see what's happening in Washington! Ron just got fired!".Β 

Β 

Best choice is firing him with the rest of dregs on black Monday. It'll get a footnote on most newspapers that and next day.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 1

I am glad that it seems Harris will let Ron finish the year. It’s better for the long term health of this franchise if viable GMs and coaches see this place as a stable institution rather than what Tepper is creating with the Panthers (and obviously what we’ve had under Snyder).

• Like 5

I think Ron is going to be "instructed" on what to do in the final by Harris through Shen.Β  I have a feeling they're just letting the SF game play out the way it's going to play out because the chance of fumbling this into a win is so miniscule even with Brissett playing and getting maybe better QB play.

Β 

But I don't think that lasts through to the Dallas week.Β  I think Harris/Shen are going to make it clear they want to "evaluate all the players who are at the bottom of the roster" and treat the game like the 3rd preseason game.Β  I think you might see a lot of the starters sit, From might make an appearance, etc.Β Β 

Β 

There's no reason to do that against SF.Β  They're going to win anyway.Β  Unless they pull an enormous choke job.Β Β 

Β 

But against Dallas, my feeling is there will be some conversations.Β  And my secondary feeling is if Ron balks at them, he'll be fired before the game and they'll insert somebody to be interim HC and carry out the plan.Β  Doubtful it's EB.Β  Probably some random coach.Β 

I think Ron will do what he's asked to, though.Β  Quietly.Β 

Β 

I just think Harris is too smart with future capital to let Ron squander it with a meaningless win against the Cowboys.Β  Shen will be the conduit.Β Β 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think Ron is going to be "instructed" on what to do in the final by Harris through Shen.Β  I have a feeling they're just letting the SF game play out the way it's going to play out because the chance of fumbling this into a win is so miniscule even with Brissett playing and getting maybe better QB play.

Β 

But I don't think that lasts through to the Dallas week.Β  I think Harris/Shen are going to make it clear they want to "evaluate all the players who are at the bottom of the roster" and treat the game like the 3rd preseason game.Β  I think you might see a lot of the starters sit, From might make an appearance, etc.Β Β 

Β 

There's no reason to do that against SF.Β  They're going to win anyway.Β  Unless they pull an enormous choke job.Β Β 

Β 

But against Dallas, my feeling is there will be some conversations.Β  And my secondary feeling is if Ron balks at them, he'll be fired before the game and they'll insert somebody to be interim HC and carry out the plan.Β  Doubtful it's EB.Β  Probably some random coach.Β 

Β 

I just think Harris is too smart with future capital to let Ron squander it with a meaningless win against the Cowboys.Β  Shen will be the conduit.Β Β 

I hope you're right, but I doubt they meddle with the coaching of the team.

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they will in the last game. Harris isn’t a dummy. Β 

I say no. Β If they are ordering a coach to tank the final game, to keep draft position; no quality coach will come here.

Β 

They will see that as owner interference; even if it’s for a game and against a coach on his way out.

14 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I say no. Β If they are ordering a coach to tank the final game, to keep draft position; no quality coach will come here.

Β 

They will see that as owner interference; even if it’s for a game and against a coach on his way out.

It’s exactly what the Eagles did in 2020. Β They were close, pulled Hurts and put in Nate Sudfeld to ensure they got the 6th pick.Β 
Β 

It is not owner interference when literally everyone can see it’s the right thing to do. Β 
Β 

The new coach will be happy to have the 2nd or 3rd pick and the opportunity to pick a top QB to work with and they won’t give a damn about Ron being told to sit starters and evaluate younger players. Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It feels like the Ron era has set us back unfathomably. I wonder how long it will take us to actually become a good football team again. So many of the teams who were just as atrocious as us, are now really good. The friggin Cleveland Browns are about to clinch a playoff spot, a week early. The Cincinnati Bengals are a winning franchise now ( not going anywhere this season obviously, after losing their stud QB ) Even the Detroit Lions are a force to be reckoned with and just won their division. Jacksonville is competing for a playoff spot. It's so frustrating seeing these teams become extremely respectable, while we still suck horribly πŸ˜₯

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

That makes sense.

Β 

There's no need for the air quotes either, because even if we weren't slated for a high pick, it would be the smart thing to do considering the new front office and new regime will want to see as much tape of the backups in a real game before making any roster decision in the offseason (e.g., cuts, trades, extensions, etc). The only wrinkle here is that it's against Dallas. Ron will more than likely refuse initially as he might perceive that any victory - even a shallow one - against the Cowboys at home could restore some goodwill among the fanbase and add a parting bulletpoint on his resume before his imminent departure. Disagree on firing Ron. Harris and company will play it out, even if Ron decides not to go with it, feeling it isn't worth creating a controversy when the Cowboys are perfectly capable of beating this team in its full complementary even with Dallas's dismal road record.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

Ron is a good person and well respected in NFL circles.

Β 

I wish Ron Rivera all the best.

Β 

I know he gave it everything he had in Washington, and I'll always give him credit for helping rid the old owner.

Β 

Ron deserves respect on the way out imho.

Β 

He understands the business side of things.

Β 

Ultimately he wasn't able to get the QB position right, and got exposed as a dinosaur coach that didn't adapt to the modern NFL.Β  All while GM'ing some of the worst draft classes in the league for a few years.Β 

After 4 years the roster is worse but ownership is much improved.

Β 

I call it a win.

Β 

Thanks Ron and god speed!

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, illone said:

Β 

Β 

I know he gave it everything he had in Washington, and I'll always give him credit for helping rid the old owner.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ultimately he wasn't able to get the QB position right, and got exposed as a dinosaur coach that didn't adapt to the modern NFL.Β  All while GM'ing some of the worst draft classes in the league for a few years.Β 

Β 

I call it a win.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ron deserves nothing.

Β 

He chose to work for the scum Dan Snyder. This team was already the worst organization when he took over . Only thing that happened was all the scummy things came to light in his first year.

Β 

He completely failed in both his jobs and this team is worse than when he started. Even worse, the majority of the handful of players that are any good; he inherited.

Β 

Β 

He gets his full season but on the morning of the 8th, his day will be short; as he be will fired.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thanks 2

On 12/26/2023 at 12:33 PM, Wyvern said:

Just noticed that Rivera's birthday is Jan. 7.Β  Do you think the new ownership would fire him on his birthday?Β  Maybe they could at least wait until the 8th?

I fired someone on her BDay this week which was also the day after Chistmas. Do your job or lose it.

3 hours ago, illone said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I call it a win.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Let's be thankful he couldn't give up 3 years of picks and cap space to bring in Lamar, because that was his shot and if he did trade everything and hired EB with this team, we'd be ****ed, but that was his shot.

Β 

Wilson and Watson sucked and crushed franchises. we only lost some 3's and now we're stocked like ****.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron deserves nothing.

Β 

He chose to work for the scum Dan Snyder. This team was already the worst organization when he took over . Only thing that happened was all the scummy things came to light in his first year.

Β 

He completely failed in both his jobs and this team is worse than when he started. Even worse, the majority of the handful of players that are any good; he inherited.

Β 

Β 

He gets his full season but on the morning of the 8th, his day will be short; as he be will fired.

Β 

Exactly. The core players are all pre-Thanksgiving. RR did what we lambasted so many past-their-prime players for doing in the early Snyder years: he simply rode into town, cashed some big ol' checks and hoodwinked a football-clueless owner. RR doesn't deserve diddly squat.

9 hours ago, illone said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I call it a win.

Β 

Β 

Β 

This is a wild take.

Β 

He had nothing to do with Dan selling, in fact - he went out of his way to be complimentary of him on his way out the door.

Β 

I’ve never seen a coach dig their own grave like this guy. Β 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

His firing/release will probably go under reported because the Belichick departure is going to occupy the news cycle outside of the DMV.

You’re correct about that. We’ll enter the news cycle in a big way when we hire a big name, coveted FO candidate and HC candidate combo that nobody (on the national talking head shows) thought would want to come here, because their analysis stops at β€œdoes this team currently have a Justin Herbert or not”.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What’s really going to be juicy is when Silver writes his β€œsources” article that deflects all blame from Ron about a week after he’s fired.

I give it days after, imo. Lots of heroic tidbits about Snyder impulses he resisted the first couple years and how they could have been a wild card team this year if we didn’t trade his pass rushers. About how it took 4 years to instill his culture and he was JUST about to start winning. Probably some shade at Harris for just wanting a shiny new toy and never really being committed to giving Ron a real chance this yearΒ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I give it days after, imo. Lots of heroic tidbits about Snyder impulses he resisted the first couple years and how they could have been a wild card team this year if we didn’t trade his pass rushers. About how it took 4 years to instill his culture and he was JUST about to start winning. Probably some shade at Harris for just wanting a shiny new toy and never really being committed to giving Ron a real chance this yearΒ 

The trading the pass rushers thing is a stone cold lock. Β He’s already started with that nonsense. Β 
Β 

somebody should ask why young and sweat are better for both the teams they went to rather than here. Β 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1