Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why?  We were assured all offseason that he was the guy behind the success in Kansas City.

Well, he is working with a rookie QB, who was drafted in the 5th round, and the worst OL in the league and a below average TE room. When you compare what EB has to work with, compared to what that dingleberry Jack Del-Dust Up had to work with until the trade deadline, it isn’t even close.  EB’s side of the ball is averaging 20+ per game, with an abhorrent OL and an unknown at QB before the season started.

EB deserves his share of the blame for how we looked against the Giants, and also against the Bills, but he’s had a better showing on his side of the ball BY FAR than Dust Up has.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

EB has had good games, and has had bad games.  

His 2 worst games were the 2 against the Giants. 

Oddly, arguably his 2 best games were against the Eagles, both losses.  

I am biased because I LOVE the Reid offense, and have marveled at it for close to 20 years.  And I was hoping more than anything EB could bring that system here and it be succesful.

But right at the beginning I cautioned it takes A LOT of time to implement that offense well.  It's massively complicated and the most wordy offense in the NFL.  So, I figured it was going to take some time, especially with a 23 year old QB in his first season starting, to figure it out.  

I still think the jury is out on EB.  There's some good, some not so good.  

The offensive line, however, is truly offensive.  

I actually really hope Jack doesn't get fired after the Dallas game.  

The bigger punishment is to stay here and coach these guys for another few weeks.  Ron will probably be fired at the bye week so the HOG can officially start interviewing candidates without having anybody in the way.  It will be interesting to see if they fire Martin Mayhew at the same time as Ron.  My guess is yes.  Which clears the way for a new GM as soon as they have their guy.

I think Jack should just stay put through the season.  He's going to get paid anyway.  Shrug.  Hell, he might even be the interim HC manning the sinking ship after Ron's dismissed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But right at the beginning I cautioned it takes A LOT of time to implement that offense well.  It's massively complicated and the most wordy offense in the NFL.  So, I figured it was going to take some time, especially with a 23 year old QB in his first season starting, to figure it out.  

I still think the jury is out on EB.  There's some good, some not so good.  

I do think it’s a tough ask for a first time playcaller to implement Reid’s offense with this collection of talent.  I expected hiccups and frustration.

But the situational playcalling has overall been a disaster and it was abysmal yesterday.  Not trending upwards.  

I am now officially all the way out on bringing back Bienemy in any capacity.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But the situational playcalling has overall been a disaster and it was abysmal yesterday.  Not trending upwards.  

I'm not sure I would agree it has been a disaster all year, though.  We were one of the best redzone offenses for the majority of the year, and 3rd downs were ok most games that weren't the Bills game where literally nothing worked at all. I think it's getting worse, but I also think he's pressing because he's come to the realization 1. the defense stinks and they have to score on every possession, and 2. the OL stinks so he has to work around that. 

I am going to reserve judgement until after the season as to what my thoughts on EB are on the whole.  I like certain things.  Unlike many, I LOVE the amount we were throwing the ball. So that didn't bother me at all.  But there are tendencies he's got to get figured out.

What is unfortunate for him, though, is I don't thin he has a trusted, experienced lieutenant on the staff that can help point out trends.  For example, "Hey, stop running the draw on 2nd and 10. You've done it 100% of the time."

Which, oddly, I bet is exactly his role when he was in KC.  But he doesn't have that guy.  You'd think maybe a HC could help him with that, but Ron's oblivious to that kind of thing.  

It's always nice to have a sounding board.  I think EB has to do everything entirely on his own.  Partly his fault for not making sure he had that guy on the staff.

• Like 1

I don't know of much material benefit from firing coaches just for the sake of doing so when the inevitable will occur at season's end. 

The Marty party is another issue, which I wish I knew more about. Ben Standig was on radio and definitely implied that the Harris group isn't just throwing back drinks at games and that there is some ground work being laid down on this front. The next head of Football Ops is THE hire to look for and I can't wait to see what direction they go in.

Edited by Bantu

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

"Hey, stop running the draw on 2nd and 10. You've done it 100% of the time."

I probably should have clarified “situational” in the broad sense, because this fits there for me.  The 2nd and 10 draw is an automatic drive killer and it’s his signature move.

The red zone playcalling on the first scoring drive that led to a FG was perhaps the most disturbing sequence of 3 playcalls I can recall, and it starts with the packages.  First and goal from the 5 and we run a slow plodding handoff to the fullback we just brought up 15 minutes ago, even though BRob had been gashing them.  No gain, no surprise.  2nd down, out go the playmakers and in comes Pringle and the gang, nobody there, no surprise - incomplete.  3rd down, the playmakers are back in, and all loaded up to the left practically knocking each other over, again nobody open, no surprise.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I probably should have clarified “situational” in the broad sense, because this fits there for me.  The 2nd and 10 draw is an automatic drive killer and it’s his signature move.

The red zone playcalling on the first scoring drive that led to a FG was perhaps the most disturbing sequence of 3 playcalls I can recall, and it starts with the packages.  First and goal from the 5 and we run a slow plodding handoff to the fullback we just brought up 15 minutes ago, even though BRob had been gashing them.  No gain, no surprise.  2nd down, our go the playmakers and in comes Pringle and the gang, nobody there, no surprise - incomplete.  3rd down, the playmakers are back in, and all loaded up to the left practically knocking each other over, again nobody open, no surprise.

Yeah those set of playcalls were awful. Running from 5 yards out is a bad idea in general because your chance of scoring is very low, you're just banking on trying to get a little bit closer, but its even worse that we did it with our 3rd or 4th string RB.

Where are the play actions or iso slants? We don't run clear routes or pick plays. The scheme just sucks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I am now officially all the way out on bringing back Bienemy in any capacity.

It's never made any sense to do so, IMO.  Barring a playoff win, Rivera was out.  Del Rio too.  So why retain the one guy who has not proven to have any sustained success as the next head coach?  Keeping him as OC and then hiring a GM and then head coach is a Snyder hiring Zorn before the head coach type of move.  You can make the argument that Howell is tied to Bieniemy, but that argument has always been silly.  If Howell is a franchise guy, he shouldn't need one offensive coordinator to be successful.  I think there was a time where Kirk had a different play caller going from 2016 to last season or 2021.  

• Thumb up 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

It's never made any sense to do so, IMO.  Barring a playoff win, Rivera was out.  Del Rio too.  So why retain the one guy who has not proven to have any sustained success as the next head coach?  Keeping him as OC and then hiring a GM and then head coach is a Snyder hiring Zorn before the head coach type of move.  You can make the argument that Howell is tied to Bieniemy, but that argument has always been silly.  If Howell is a franchise guy, he shouldn't need one offensive coordinator to be successful.  I think there was a time where Kirk had a different play caller going from 2016 to last season or 2021.  

Generally, I agree.

But if for whatever reason the team failed to win, but Bienemy and Sam really meshed and had a killer offense - I could see interviewing him.

At this point, I just don’t see that happening as I expect things to only get worse from here as folks officially start checking out.

I'm heavily slanted towards wanting an all new coaching staff.

We don't really do anything particularly well, so there is not much that I desire to protect/keep when offered to opportunity to improve.

All that is left is continuity for continuity's sake but when what you have is not good... whats the point of that.

Even more-so if top brass thinks they have a good shot at luring in desirable talents via their behind the scenes feelers.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm heavily slanted towards wanting an all new coaching staff.

We don't really do anything particularly well, so there is not much that I desire to protect/keep when offered to opportunity to improve.

All that is left is continuity for continuity's sake but when what you have is not good... whats the point of that.

Even more-so if top brass thinks they have a good shot at luring in desirable talents via their behind the scenes feelers.

Very much agree. Starting with a GM. Or if we had a time machine and get the staff from 2003.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The 2nd and 10 draw is an automatic drive killer and it’s his signature move.

What's sad is how predictable it is based on how you got to 2nd and 10.

Incomplete pass on 1st down --> 2nd and 10 draw

Run stuffed on 1st down --> 2nd and 10 pass

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah those set of playcalls were awful. Running from 5 yards out is a bad idea in general because your chance of scoring is very low, you're just banking on trying to get a little bit closer, but its even worse that we did it with our 3rd or 4th string RB.

Where are the play actions or iso slants? We don't run clear routes or pick plays. The scheme just sucks.

A few posters might fall over when I say this, but I don't mind running at 1st and goal from the 5 for 2 reasons:

1. It goes against type.  It's considered a passing down, you only need 5 yards.  Typically, if you get one block, you're in the endzone or at the 1.  Now, if you don't get a block, or the OL gets blown up, then it's no good. One of the things I like out of a gameplan is going against type.  If you always do what the book tells you to do, you get predictable.  So go against type.  

What I don't like is a "jumbo" package and trying to run it in where you telegraph the run.  But I don't mind running in those situations.

2. If you can get 3-4 yards, 1st and goal from the 1/2 really opens up every option on 2nd and 3rd down, run or pass. 

You can throw incomplete on first down, and then you're almost in a known passing situation on second down.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A few posters might fall over when I say this, but I don't mind running at 1st and goal from the 5 for 2 reasons:

1. It goes against type.  It's considered a passing down, you only need 5 yards.  Typically, if you get one block, you're in the endzone or at the 1.  Now, if you don't get a block, or the OL gets blown up, then it's no good. One of the things I like out of a gameplan is going against type.  If you always do what the book tells you to do, you get predictable.  So go against type.  

What I don't like is a "jumbo" package and trying to run it in where you telegraph the run.  But I don't mind running in those situations.

2. If you can get 3-4 yards, 1st and goal from the 1/2 really opens up every option on 2nd and 3rd down, run or pass. 

You can throw incomplete on first down, and then you're almost in a known passing situation on second down.

We have a weak OL but a strong armed QB with mobility. We should be throwing into the end zone. At the very least, I'd like to use Howell's mobility more there.

• Like 1

Rivera basically hinged this whole season on Sam and Bieniemy saving his job and he neglected the to do anything address anything else.  Yeah, he chose 2 DBs with his first two draft picks and they've been totally clueless.  A complete failure of coaching and accountability has us where we are.  It's Thanksgiving week, but January can't come fast enough

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 4