Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

At the beginning of this season I was clinging to the hope that Ron could somehow get back to looking like the coach he was in his early days with Carolina. 

Even if you give most of the credit to Cam Newton Ron was still light years better at getting his teams ready to play competitive football than he is today.

Those Carolina teams looked far more competent and more importantly consistent than anything we've seen out of him in a long time.

Alas those hopes are long gone and all that's left is the reality that it's most likely going to be at least 2 or 3 years before we have any realistic chance of being a championship contender.

I know there are a lot of fans here that believe a new regime can be competitive very quickly because the roster is close but history suggests the best case scenario for next year is a .500 team who's on the rise and worse case is something like the broncos the last two years while all new ownership and gm/coaches try to get the ship righted.

It's a little depressing knowing the odds that the next 2 or 3 years will be more successful than the last 4 are pretty low but we've been waiting for 30 years what's a couple more right?

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

At the beginning of this season I was clinging to the hope that Ron could somehow get back to looking like the coach he was in his early days with Carolina. 

Even if you give most of the credit to Cam Newton Ron was still light years better at getting his teams ready to play competitive football than he is today.

Those Carolina teams looked far more competent and more importantly consistent than anything we've seen out of him in a long time.

Alas those hopes are long gone and all that's left is the reality that it's most likely going to be at least 2 or 3 years before we have any realistic chance of being a championship contender.

I know there are a lot of fans here that believe a new regime can be competitive very quickly because the roster is close but history suggests the best case scenario for next year is a .500 team who's on the rise and worse case is something like the broncos the last two years while all new ownership and gm/coaches try to get the ship righted.

It's a little depressing knowing the odds that the next 2 or 3 years will be more successful than the last 4 are pretty low but we've been waiting for 30 years what's a couple more right?

I think there are enough good players that you can build out a quality roster, but you have to get the HC/QB combo down pat. That's where the Broncos have royally effed up, as well as various other loser franchises.

Once you figure out HC/QB, everything else is kinda easy.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think there are enough good players that you can build out a quality roster, but you have to get the HC/QB combo down pat. That's where the Broncos have royally effed up, as well as various other loser franchises.

Once you figure out HC/QB, everything else is kinda easy.

You're right and something like the lions who seem to have figured it out is (in my opinion) the best we can hope for which I'd gladly take but also means we'd be pretty bad next year, average the year after that and very competitive (ignoring yesterday) the year after that.

And that's sort of best case scenario that we have two more years of suck to blah I don't even want to contemplate worse case.

I'm with Jonathan Allen, I'm just so ****ing tired of losing I want to win now but that's not gonna happen so here's to hoping 3 or 4 years from now we can be a real competitor.

It doesn't take four years to be good. Most teams can turn it around by like year two. But again, you gotta get the QB/HC pair right.

Lets say we tank and hire Ben Johnson as HC and draft a Drake Maye or Michael Penix or whomever. That could instantly turn us around into 11+ wins.

Heck even in 2012 we won 10 games with RG3 and Shanahan. That could have been a heck of a duo but, well we all saw how things went down.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It doesn't take four years to be good. Most teams can turn it around by like year two. But again, you gotta get the QB/HC pair right.

Lets say we tank and hire Ben Johnson as HC and draft a Drake Maye or Michael Penix or whomever. That could instantly turn us around into 11+ wins.

Heck even in 2012 we won 10 games with RG3 and Shanahan. That could have been a heck of a duo but, well we all saw how things went down.

Anything is possible, we all saw mcvay turn the rams around instantly but history suggests most all new regimes struggle for at least a year and usually two before they're any real threat in the playoffs.

You gotta remember we're not just talking about a new coordinator or even a new coach, we're talking about a completely clean slate because of the new owners.

It'll be a new Gm probably new scouts, new coaches, new everything. 

That almost always takes several years to become effective. 

like I said I'll take it I'm just tired of waiting.

Edited by redskinss

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Anything is possible, we all saw mcvay turn the rams around instantly but history suggests most all new regimes struggle for at least a year and usually two before they're any real threat in the playoffs.

But like I said I'll take it I'm just tired of waiting.

It doesn't take 3-4 years to become a contender.  Rivera used that as a crutch, because he knew that it would be unlikely that he would ever get the team to be a contender within the 5 year contract he signed.  No coach could ever turn this team into a contender under the previous owner.  For all other franchises, you can turn things around overnight, if you have the right HC/QB pairing.  Look at Cincinnati and Miami for example.  Both were middle of the pack to bad teams, and then within 2 years, both are contenders thanks to drafting the right QB and hiring the right offensive minded coach.  That's literally all it takes.  If you can't turn your organization around as a new HC by the end of year 2, then you should be fired after your 3rd season as an HC.  New teams emerge every year as contenders.  The Jaguars and Lions were horrible franchises just 3 years ago, but now both are contenders, because they got the right HC/QB tandem.  We already have a talented team.  It's being held back severely by horrific coaching.  It wouldn't take long for this team to become a contender, if we get the right coach to pair with Sam Howell, or if we go in a different direction and draft a QB with a new HC and FO.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You gotta remember we're not just talking about a new coordinator or even a new coach, we're talking about a completely clean slate because of the new owners.

It'll be a new Gm probably new scouts, new coaches, new everything. 

That almost always takes several years to become effective. 

like I said I'll take it I'm just tired of waiting.

Maybe in the 70s or 80s but not anymore.

McDaniel comes to Miami when they stunk. Year 1 playoffs. Year 2 contender. Because he had Tua and they committed to his development.

Sirianni comes to Philly when they stunk(remember it was right after Pederson tanked against us in Week 17 of 2020). Year 1 playoffs. Year 2(and 3)contender. Because he had Hurts and they committed to his development.

Reid went to KC when they had the worst record in the league. They've been a playoff team every year since I believe. Because he traded for Alex Smith before eventually drafting Mahomes.

Even a little bit farther back. Payton goes to New Orleans when they were awful. He signs Brees. They go to the playoffs year 1. Super Bowl champs a couple years later.

You gotta get the right coach, pair him with the right QB, and make sure the entire organization is on the same page regarding their development. You do that, you basically win right away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maybe in the 70s or 80s but not anymore.

McDaniel comes to Miami when they stunk. Year 1 playoffs. Year 2 contender. Because he had Tua and they committed to his development.

Sirianni comes to Philly when they stunk(remember it was right after Pederson tanked against us in Week 17 of 2020). Year 1 playoffs. Year 2(and 3)contender. Because he had Hurts and they committed to his development.

Reid went to KC when they had the worst record in the league. They've been a playoff team every year since I believe. Because he traded for Alex Smith before eventually drafting Mahomes.

Even a little bit farther back. Payton goes to New Orleans when they were awful. He signs Brees. They go to the playoffs year 1. Super Bowl champs a couple years later.

You gotta get the right coach, pair him with the right QB, and make sure the entire organization is on the same page regarding their development. You do that, you basically win right away.

Did any of those teams have new owners or all new front offices?

Because if you can name me any who were a total reset and not just a new head coach I'd feel a lot better. 

Philadelphia already had what was considered one of the best office structures in the league when they brought in Siriani and were a superbowl champion recently. 

I feel like we're in for some pretty rough seas the next couple years while the radical changes take place, I hope I'm wrong and either way it'll still be worth it once we're completely on the other side of our 30 year nightmare. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Did any of those teams have new owners or all new front offices?

Because if you can name me any who were a total reset and not just a new head coach I'd feel a lot better. 

Philadelphia already had what was considered one of the best office structures in the league when they brought in Siriani and were a superbowl champion recently. 

I feel like we're in for some pretty rough seas the next couple years while the radical changes take place, I hope I'm wrong and either way it'll still be worth it once we're completely on the other side of our 30 year nightmare. 

Giants have ways to go.  They did go 9-7 and won a playoff game in the first season.  I like their off season and their new FO better than ours.  Rivera liked to tout the Buffalo way when he started here but it was the Giants not Ron who have hired Buffalo guys.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Yeah I'm much more concerned about how they rebuild the entire operation than how quick of a turnaround they can make

I agree I'm just frustrated and sick of losing.

You can put me in the f bomb category with Jonathan Allen because that interview resonated with me.

Ron was the coach I wanted us to hire when we fired Jay and I don’t think I’ve said a bad word about him in four years… it’s time for a change though. It looks to me like he’s already thinking about retirement. I think it was Shanahan who said, “once you start thinking about retirement, you’re retired.”

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, CommandB11 said:

I would prefer EB because of where he comes from. The culture he understands and could possibly instill matters to me.

My issue is you can come from a program with great culture and still not be able to put together a game plan. That seems to be the case with our OC.

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ron was the coach I wanted us to hire when we fired Jay and I don’t think I’ve said a bad word about him in four years… it’s time for a change though. It looks to me like he’s already thinking about retirement. I think it was Shanahan who said, “once you start thinking about retirement, you’re retired.”

Ron has a home in Pebble Beach. I have been there a couple times. I would be thinking about going there everyday after coaching this team for 4 years. 

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Don't expect a high return for Young of Sweat.

Philly is all in and continue to strengthen themselves. The rich get richer for 2024.

I don't think we would get a ton for Young or Sweat but they are both worth more than Byard.

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Philly is all in and continue to strengthen themselves. The rich get richer for 2024.

I don't think we would get a ton for Young or Sweat but they are both worth more than Byard.

yeah, but a former all-pro gets that return? Very meh.

23 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

You guys are giving up already? After playing a real close game against one of the most New York teams in the NFC? After wins against the Cardinals and Falcons, both of whom are eligible for the playoffs and possibly the Superbowl?

Was it over after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

On another note, I don't think the Cardinals have been eligible to be a threat in the playoffs since 1947.

I don't think people should be piling on EB so much. He doesn't have the personnel he had in KC, but more importantly how can any of his schemes work when the QB is running for his life on every play? They're over 40 sacks already this season and on pace for 98...

If this keeps up, Howell is going to become gun-shy and start suffering from phantom sacks like Jim "Chris Evert" Everett and Chris "Crystal Chandelier" Chandler.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Sad 2

LOVERRO: Dumping Rivera midseason is likely a little too Snyder-esque for the new owner

There’s been nothing funny about the Ron Rivera tenure, though. It’s been just one long .500 football ache, the last bout being the New York Giants — a team so beaten up they’ve been picking guys off their couches to play — defeating the Commanders 14-7 Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

It’s a deep ache, one that has lasted in varying degrees for more than 20 years. Maybe you thought it might stop when Harris and his saviors bought the team from Dan Snyder in July. It did briefly — until the same crew that Snyder assembled took the field this season and it became apparent that the football part hasn’t changed.

Oh, it may change when the season is over. But not tomorrow. Or the next day. Or next Sunday, even if the 3-4 Commanders manage to find a way to beat the Eagles. They could, you know. They almost beat them in Philly a few weeks ago, losing in overtime 34-31.

You know it won’t mean anything. Rivera’s postgame comments Sunday — “We have 10 games left to go. You never know what’s going to happen … you have to take them one at a time” — were an insult to a fan base that knows all too well what’s going to happen. They’ve taken them one at a time for nearly 400 games since the horror began in 1999, and everyone knows damn well what’s going to happen.

That’s why we may be at the point where Rivera’s stoic image on the sidelines and his long-winded coachspeak in press conferences are just too painful for some fans to bear. The calls have gone out far and wide for Rivera to be fired.

That’s not likely going to happen. That would be too Danny-like for Harris. Heck, Snyder, for all the destruction he brought to this franchise, only fired one coach during the season — his first one, Norv Turner, one he inherited, in 2000. 

He hated the rest of them not long after he hired them (except for Joe Gibbs, of course) — Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Jim Zorn, Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden — but he never fired any of them during the season. Even Snyder may have been smart enough to know that would not likely change anything.

Maybe Magic Johnson would disagree. One of Harris’ minority saviors, Johnson tweeted out after Sunday’s debacle, “Disappointing 14-7 loss for my Commanders to the New York Giants. It’s hard to win in the NFL when you only score 7 points.”

Like the great Tom Waits pointed out, “It’s hard to win when you always lose.”

Johnson, though, has enough power to perhaps pick out his seat in the owner’s box on Sunday. There is nothing as limited as a limited partner. This is Josh Harris’ call.

You might think he’s got a head coach there for the taking on his staff in assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Eric Bienemy. And you would be right — except right now Bieniemy and his play-calling seems to be one of the problems. 

His Belichick-like act at the weekly coordinators’ press conference — all double talk and speaking without actually saying anything — was amusing early in the season. But it has gotten old fast.

Asked after the 40-20 loss to the Chicago Bears about balancing cohesion with the offensive unit, Bienemy replied, “Well, first of all my name is boss, my name is offensive coordinator. My name is former player. My name is Dad. My name is Uncle. My name Is sometimes counselor, sometimes my name is, hey, sometimes guys need a shoulder to lean upon. So the thing is there is a delicate situation.”

You want to listen to that every day?

No, as painful as it may be, Harris is going to have to play the hand he was dealt — these cards, played Monday by Rivera speaking to reporters: “I understand our fan’s frustration. Hell, I hear it too and I respect them.” 

If Rivera truly understood the frustration of Commanders’ fans, he would quit.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Bench EB. That is our main problem. Offensive play calling and our OL position coach. 

Move Castilo back to OL and have Zamp call plays and let EB run around practice yelling at people, because that's all he knows how to do.

You tell JDR to try adding a few blitzes too. Explain to him how it can help....

And tell Rivera to stay away from the mic and concentrate on what his staff is not doing...learn to make adjustments and for goodness sake, better game prep

• Like 1