Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Commanders 'n Chiefs (No Politics In The Stadium Edition)

TK
Message added by TK,

1473048416_ScreenShot2022-08-20at7_02_19PM.thumb.png.3bf5e06fac0d3b28aad7603b4ee91d11.png

51 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Then CORRECT them! SMH it shouldn’t be this difficult 

At this point, Ron is trending towards being Norv Turner-esq.  He'll point out all the things that are not working but has no stinking idea how to go about fixing them.   

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A change on the defensive side is due. At this point I’m not even sure it’s totally on Del Rio. I could see him going somewhere and maybe being successful again. But it’s time in DC.

Thats basically what I hear coach saying without saying it. I just hope he takes the action. I feel like he’s really slow to pull that trigger. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A change on the defensive side is due. At this point I’m not even sure it’s totally on Del Rio. I could see him going somewhere and maybe being successful again. But it’s time in DC.

It really seems we're just effing cursed as well. Even before the current coaching regime came in, we've mostly been horrible on 3rd down. Over the last 6 seasons, we've been bottom 5 in 3rd down defense 4 times. 2 of those years we were dead last 

They screwed up by not firing Del Rio at the end of the year..His replacement would have to be on the staff already and i have no faith in any of them to turn the Defense around..Looks like it will be another wasted year.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Dyami has to learn to high point the ball if he wants to get more looks imo

I'm not very impressed with Brown, but there are a couple of things to point out on that play. First, that pass was pretty high; it's not like it hit him in the hands. Sure, if he were 6'5 he probably would have gotten it, but he's not.

Second, the DB mauled him on that play. He didn't get both hands up because as they went up for the ball the DB's right arm was basically hooked over Brown's left arm and holding it down so he couldn't get both hands up, and which also probably stopped him from getting as much leap as he could have.

You can kinda see both in this screenshot:

brown.png

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I'm not very impressed with Brown, but there are a couple of things to point out on that play. First, that pass was pretty high; it's not like it hit him in the hands. Sure, if he were 6'5 he probably would have gotten it, but he's not.

Second, the DB mauled him on that play. He didn't get both hands up because as they went up for the ball the DB's right arm was basically hooked over Brown's left arm and holding it down so he couldn't get both hands up, and which also probably stopped him from getting as much leap as he could have.

You can kinda see both in this screenshot:

brown.png

I’m not basing my opinion on a single play.  He doesn’t extend his arms to catch the ball and it hurts his ability to win contested matchups

Just now, Stone Cold said:

I’m not basing my opinion on a single play.  He doesn’t extend his arms to catch the ball and it hurts his ability to win contested matchups

Ok maybe this was the wrong post to use to reply. I know someone was complaining about him only putting one hand up or something. 

47 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I am still waiting to see Dyami Brown take the top off the defense with his "Desean Jackson" speed.  He was out there, but he was covered.

:229:The Rook

I thought he had a ton of chances and did nothing also, another bad draft pick! Bad pregame show where you actually have an ex-raven on set, terrible tv and radio booth, terrible name, terrible uniforms, terrible stadium, terrible owner and president.

Folks we are lucky to have Ron, an average coach and great person, who do you think the next clown will be with Snyder and Wright picking. We are lucky to have players like 4, 17, and 93, guys that at least care. Carson looks like he could care less as he throws another 50/50 ball on third down. Howell stands no chance here.

Then to top it off I come here after the game and there are 29 stinkin pages, 29 pages thats it, tell me this team isnt leaking fans. The old fans cant relate to this new team and there is nothing to bring in new fans. Can you imagine if this team starts out 2-5! Sorry just frustrated that something I once really enjoyed, yes a long time ago history has been erased and will be 2nd rate probably from here on out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I  am somewhere between this point and the ones who are very upset.

I do think it was a "meh" performance.  I also think it's a good wake up call at the right time.  I'd rather it happen in preseason than have another slow start to the season ala the last two years and then they wake up. 

Just wait until the season starts. You are going to be very disappointed at the start.

Just got home. Didn't see the game. Looked at the scoreboard and the stats. Not too happy about the 1st offense and more disappointed at the D though. If these pre-season games are the pre-cursor to the regular season then 11-12 wins are no longer the expectation for me anymore. :(

Washington's broken preseason defense has Ron Rivera sounding like a broken record. 

On Saturday, the Commanders had no answers for Patrick Mahomes, and while they certainly aren't the first and definitely won't be the last to experience struggles against him, they looked particularly helpless at Arrowhead Stadium — especially on third downs.

And as he assessed the starting defense's performance versus the AFC title contenders, Rivera identified one cause of the shortcomings that he also harped on throughout a disappointing 2021.

"We've got to understand our responsibility of staying in our pass rush lanes, not giving him an opportunity to escape the pocket and extend the play," Rivera said.

Mahomes' second touchdown pass summed up the defensive line's discipline problems to perfection, per the coach.

"That was the big disappointment," Rivera explained. "We had great pressure coming off the backside and the defensive end gets upfield, doesn't get to his level, washes up and over and Mahomes just steps where he was, buys time and he's able to stretch it a little bit."

Here's the sequence that Rivera was referencing.

Just after the snap, Casey Toohill puts pressure on the left tackle by racing out wide, so Mahomes has to scoot forward in the pocket.

However, instead of running into another Commander, Mahomes is welcomed by a large swatch of grass and a very clear throwing window. That's not how it's supposed to go.

Based on Rivera's comments, the blame here belongs to Toohill for going too far around Mahomes. Because Toohill wasn't able to stay on "level" with Mahomes, the superstar easily evaded him and found his tight end for a score before Montez Sweat could notch the sack. 

"This is team defense," Rivera said. "This isn't just you run around the edge or you jump out, you have to be disciplined, we have to make sure we coach them up to be disciplined."

When Rivera's squad was having similar trouble stopping opponents and getting off the field in 2021, he expressed displeasure with how Jack Del Rio's front was operating. To Rivera, the D-line was too interested in hunting for big plays as opposed to sticking with what they were taught and allowing plays to come to them.

"They need to stop pressing and trust their teammates," Rivera said last November. 

Well, after another subpar effort in Kansas City, Rivera emphasized a similar message.

"You have to stick to the process, you have to do your job," he said.

Earlier in training camp, Rivera made the choice to fire Sam Mills III, who had been the defensive line coach for the organization since 2020. Mills III was replaced by Jeff Zgonina in hopes that Zgonina would better reach a unit the club has invested so much in the past few campaigns.

Despite that adjustment — and yes, it's early in Zgonina's tenure — and some personnel changes on the depth chart, too, the results are still similar. The frustration from the Commanders boss is as well.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

This team is bad. The entire organization is bad. If they were a business, their doors would closed decades ago. Fortunately for them, they can print money.  I wouldn’t hire the front office to run a Dollar General.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I mean what did I expect to see here… shame on me

Amigos, we’re not great, we’ve been talking about it for months. Most predictions here were around the 8-9 win mark. So how the **** are you all so surprised that we looked bad vs the best qb in the game?

it’s preseason against a super bowl contender and all of you are writing us off, calling for peoples heads like we stand no chance to make this season interesting in the trashiest division. 

Let’s get some OL and TEs healthy and hope turner buys a new playbook and let’s see where it takes us. 

We’re good enough to play some meaningful games down the stretch and this game does nothing to change that expectation.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Play some meaningful game toward the end of the season…. That goes for about every team in the league barring 3 or 4.  This is our 3rd year under Rivera with no cap restrictions (unlike Shannahan). I expect more.  I just don’t see it. We’ve invested in defense for years and it’s awful. I like Rivera as a person but his coordinators schemes are dated. If we win more than 7 games this year, I will be shocked 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I mean what did I expect to see here… shame on me

Amigos, we’re not great, we’ve been talking about it for months. Most predictions here were around the 8-9 win mark. So how the **** are you all so surprised that we looked bad vs the best qb in the game?

it’s preseason against a super bowl contender and all of you are writing us off, calling for peoples heads like we stand no chance to make this season interesting in the trashiest division. 

Let’s get some OL and TEs healthy and hope turner buys a new playbook and let’s see where it takes us. 

We’re good enough to play some meaningful games down the stretch and this game does nothing to change that expectation.

The issue is that it's the same problem popping up over and over again. The 3rd down defense was dreadful, just like it was dreadful last season. Yes, Mahomes is probably the best QB in the NFL right now, but that shouldn't be an excuse for being as horrible as we were on 3rd downs.

It's a pattern, and I think it's going to keep popping up until something changes.

• Like 1