Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Still don't see the point of 6 WR's over 4 TE's. Dyami doesn't sound like he's developing at all. Why waste an inactive on game day spots on him instead of a TE (or whoever) we can stash away from the practice squad.

I'd say for potential, but the question is does he have the chance to be much better than a guy we pick up off the street mid season? Like Michel or another small speed guy? At this rate I think I'd rather have Carter than him. Is he even a speed guy? 

But yeah, potential. 

32 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I heard that a lot of teams are playing starters an entire half in these 3rd preseason games. Which absolutely stuns me, with the regular season just 14 days away. I figured we wouldn't see any starters at all, for the most part.

Neither starting QB played in the Chiefs/Packers game.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I don't think anyone is bending over backwards to justify the pick. Could there have been better picks at 19? Of course. But that hasn't really been the main point of the debate so far IMO.

It's more been whether Davis a "bust" or not. I think he was an upside pick and expecting him to come in and be NFL ready after only 1 season of starting in college is sort of silly. And I agree with you 100% that it was stupid and arrogant of Ron and JDR to try and force such a raw player into a Mike position.

But I'm not going to make any judgements until I see how he plays this season.

I don't think he had a great year but I think people had unreasonable expectations for him. I think he put up respectable numbers last year and showed flashes, especially late in the season. Compare his numbers to other rookie lbs and they're respectable. He just needs to be better with his instincts 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hmm, I wondering if this implies that Mahomes and Rodgers are now considered to be locks to make the 53. Was hoping we might pick one of them up on cut-down day  and let them battle it out with TH and Howell.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bowhunter said:

Hmm, I wondering if this implies that Mahomes and Rodgers are now considered to be locks to make the 53. Was hoping we might pick one of them up on cut-down day  and let them battle it out with TH and Howell.

There are posters on this forum who would argue they'd take Heinicke over Mahomes and Rodgers. I'm not even kidding.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I was disgusted by the jamin pick. Rivera being a LBer, LB coach, and D coordinator, in my mind he had to nail it if he drafted Lb in the 1st. 

Jamin was RAW, we all knew this, and I was hellbent on being right that we blew this pick. (I wanted Micah bad and wanted to trade up). 

now we’re going into year 2 and all I’m reading about is jamins progress. I want to be wrong about jamin and now the trending arrow is pointing upward. We’ll have to see how he fares come gametime, but compared to last preseason the reviews are night and day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I think the point is, if everyone knew he was so raw, then why did our dumb ass front office pick him #19 overall, and then try to force him into a position he'd never played and apparently doesn't match the skillset for ?!?   I don't hate Davis as a player, but to argue that the decision to pick him was anything other than stupidity and arrogance on RR and JDR's part is pointless.

Serious question, not just to you, @KDawg, but to everyone else here who is bending over backwards to justify the decision to take Davis at #19:

Right now, would you rather have Darrisaw and JOK, or Davis and Cosmi?   Because by taking Davis at 19, that's what we gave up on.

who is bending over backwards to justify the pick? I’m not. I wanted Najee Harris.

What I am doing is defending the kid. It’s not his fault the FO picked him where they did. So to that end it’s not his fault that people didn’t do the research and understand that he was raw as hell. A raw project (that is improving) cannot be considered a bust before he plays a game in his second season. In fact, mid third season is the bust line imo, and I bet he surpasses that line this year. Maybe even early. 

It’s just silly to condemn a raw kid just because the team took him first. If he doesn’t pan out he was a wasted pick, yes. But it’s too early to say that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There are posters on this forum who would argue they'd take Heinicke over Mahomes and Rodgers. I'm not even kidding.

MAYBE one.  The one who likes to keep repeating that TH beat Brady, Wilson, Carr and Ryan.  And if Ryan makes the HOF....   But probably not even him.  I think even he would not be that silly.  

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

“and how do you plan to build a roster around Mahomes huge overpaid contract, tell me that? Heinicke’s contract is the best value in the NFL and he has something you can’t put a price tag on—heart”

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Was listening to Chris Russell and another media guy talk about how soft this team is and how other people are saying the same thing.

That's a real indictment on Rivera in year three.

This team starts slow, adjusts kind of slow. Lots of problems on the defensive side, that I would put on questionable scheming and lack of discipline more than lack of toughness. One thing I wouldn’t criticize this team for is their fight and heart under Rivera. They don’t really get blown out and give up, they fight even when they aren’t executing. They won 7 games against a murderer’s row of QB’s with COVID and injury issues with ****ing Heinicke at QB, and that’s with a horrendous defense the first half of the season. Saying they’re soft is a Doc Walker type oversimplification of the problems they had. They sucked because of a lack of talent and poor execution, which are criticisms of Rivera I’m open to, he’s the head honcho. But this team finally has fight imo. They aren’t soft. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

This team starts slow, adjusts kind of slow. Lots of problems on the defensive side, that I would put on questionable scheming and lack of discipline more than lack of toughness. One thing I wouldn’t criticize this team for is their fight and heart under Rivera. They don’t really get blown out and give up, they fight even when they aren’t executing. They won 7 games against a murderer’s row of QB’s with COVID and injury issues with ****ing Heinicke at QB, and that’s with a horrendous defense the first half of the season. Saying they’re soft is a Doc Walker type oversimplification of the problems they had. They sucked because of a lack of talent and poor execution, which are criticisms of Rivera I’m open to, he’s the head honcho. But this team finally has fight imo. They aren’t soft. 

Couldn’t have said this better. Tons of problems, some I think that will be marginally better this year. Being soft and rolling over ain’t one of them. And we’ve had plenty of that to know the difference. Id love to know the context of Russell saying that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Did you just make this up? I am going to assume you "think". To that I would say you are wrong. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

MAYBE one.  The one who likes to keep repeating that TH beat Brady, Wilson, Carr and Ryan.  And if Ryan makes the HOF....   But probably not even him.  I think even he would not be that silly.  

Maybe that poster from ODU? 

I saw no one on D flash against the chiefs but admit maybe I missed Jamin as I pretty much have his entire career. I can remember seeing him make ~3 'ok there's our stud' plays last year. I expect to see a first round LB causing chaos or making tackles 5 times a game if not 10+. That is not an unrealistic expectation IMO.

RR should be under scrutiny this year 4 sub 500 seasons in a row and picks like Jamin to be Frank Reich. I assume RR won't tap out of games early like 2 years ago. There are not enough games and the division is tight. The nuNFL favoring offense is geared for fast comebacks and he has a strong arm QB and WRs to try for pass happy comebacks.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Gotta figure if your starting QB is playing then you also want your starting O Line in there as well. So your also taking into account a lineman getting hurt in addition to the QB. Kind of ups the risk even more, that's not including WR, RB, TE etc.  But I can also see the value in getting the reps. Tough call.

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Brady makes it into the HOF and so does Wilson and Ryan.....then Heineke also makes it by default?  Because he did beat them right?    ...sarcasm.