Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

4 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think Dyami is safet to make the roster because he was a third round draft pick and this is only his second year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the cut in 2023.

I think Dyami is making it. We need someone to stretch the field and while Terry and Dotson can go long, they are gonna run a good amount of short to intermediate routes. While Dyami isn’t Desean, he can still run the fly pattern much better than Harmon or Simms. We need more than possession receivers. You gotta have some guys who can hit the home run. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dyst said:

Doesn’t Sims actually contribute more in game and on special team more so than Milne or Harmon.

He prob has the ST edge over Harmon, as he is a semi-decent gunner, but if Dax makes it as a return man his ST role would dwarf Sims'.

I feel like any of the three could contribute the same small level of contributions in an offensive roll considering Sims only had 200 yds last season.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure, I've seen some of that, that article is from the team's website.  I don't know myself since I haven't watched any of camp.  All three dudes on Finlay's podcast have been down on Dyami's camp.  But who knows?

The most "down" has been Pete Hailey, who made it his "one thing" after yesterday's practice.  

I take that with somewhat a grain of salt. But it's tough to know for sure.  

I will say this: Brown has to do something this year, or else his 3rd round roster protection will expire.  I still find it very unlikely he is inactive on gamedays, but he damn well better work himself into a position where he is the 4th WR in, or at least in on specific packages.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I can't keep Lucas and Leno straight.  Somebody suggested Leno is first alphabetically so therefore he comes first, which is LT?  I dunno if that works, but it seems to have helped....

Jay Leno LEFT the late show and returned when Conan didn't work out. 

George Lucas SWINGs Light Sabres in his sleep. 

You got this. 

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think Dyami is making it. We need someone to stretch the field and while Terry and Dotson can go long, they are gonna run a good amount of short to intermediate routes. While Dyami isn’t Desean, he can still run the fly pattern much better than Harmon or Simms. We need more than possession receivers. You gotta have some guys who can hit the home run. 

I agree he’ll make it but listening to some training podcasts has me thinking he’s a bust for a 3rd round pick.  He showed nothing last year and according to the camp reports he’s likely inactive this year on game days barring injuries to other receivers.

Brown makes it because he's the closest we have to Terry, Dot and Samuels without being them. Injury insurance. He also has talent being a 3rd rounder last year.

Sims is a tall target without any healthy TEs, who is good at tough catches (but drops the easy ones and runs a lazy route) and a ST Gunner after we just lost two.

Milne is a decent receiver and a good returner who should make the roster for those two reasons.

Harmon is slow, not that big, not that clutch, doesn't contribute on teams and might be lucky to get on the PS ahead of Michel and the other dude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think it's really unlikely that they'd cut a 3rd round WR after his 1st season unless there were work ethic and personality issues or he was just so horrible that you almost have no choice but to cut him. I think Brown will get another chance.

As far as Sims, he really only brings one thing to the table: he's big. He doesn't run very good routes, doesn't get separation, isn't fast, and he drops too many easy catches (though he'll occasionally make up for it with one circus catch).

Though I'm not entirely sure who would replace him. Harmon I'm meh on. There's really nothing special about him outside of maybe being an ok possession type receiver. We've heard Michel's name several times as looking impressive in camp so he could be the dark horse 6th receiver candidate.

I'm going to go with Terry, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Milne, Michel.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Harmon is slow, not that big, not that clutch, doesn't contribute on teams and might be lucky to get on the PS ahead of Michel and the other dude.

Yup, Harmon's on the cut list.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I'm going to go with Terry, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Milne, Michel.

I like that list.

OL is a problem. They need a Guard. Been posting about the issues since Trai Turner's torn quad. Less worried about TE's because I suspect Logan will be back Week 1 or 2 (just limited) and Bates will have had 4 weeks on the calf strain (strain and tear are the same thing FYI).

• Like 1

The good news is Rivera is hopeful he’ll get one or two of his injured tight ends back next week — he declined to name names — and he thinks the Commanders “more than likely” will have three of their top four back for the opener.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The good news is Rivera is hopeful he’ll get one or two of his injured tight ends back next week — he declined to name names — and he thinks the Commanders “more than likely” will have three of their top four back for the opener.

Sounds like the plan is to keep four :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah 3 obviously are Turner, Bates, Thomas.  4th a battle between Rogers and Hodges, sounds like Rogers might edge Hodges out. 

I believe the new PUP rule is that a player only misses 4 games this year. If so and since Logan would need to get in football shape, I think it makes sense for him to go onto PUP.  We just need the rookie tight ends to step it up in the beginning of the year. 

We will keep Turner, Bates and Rogers with Hodges on PS. That should be good enough, much better than our prior tight end depth chart. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I believe the new PUP rule is that a player only misses 4 games this year. If so and since Logan would need to get in football shape, I think it makes sense for him to go onto PUP.  We just need the rookie tight ends to step it up in the beginning of the year. 

We will keep Turner, Bates and Rogers with Hodges on PS. That should be good enough, much better than our prior tight end depth chart. 

Maybe.  Some of the beat guys think he has a shot to start the season or if not play early, so don't know if he goes on Pup. 

image.png.7c039e8e232c812c018417943814220b.png

I love blurbs like this. First off... I agree. Wentz is QB1 until he is no longer a Commander or he absolutely 100% totally craps the bed. I don't see the latter happening any time soon. Howell will not be QB1 any time soon and I think pretty much everyone understands that.

But I love the line in the middle. "he labored more than usual while facing the starting defense [while playing on the scout team]"

Yes, no kidding. The 3rd/4th teamers he was paired with probably also contributed to that laboring, sir. 

On another note... I am excited for Saturday's preseason game:

Commanders and Chiefs...

Howell vs. Buechele.

A battle for the ages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Some discussion here yesterday on Dyami Brown.

Sheehan just asked Standig about it.  Standig thinks he makes the roster.  His feeling is Dyami hasn't taken the next step from last year.  Been up and down.  Nothing that has stood out but nothing that makes him think he won't make the roster.  He seemed to imply Harmon has looked better but doesn't think Harmon makes it. 

Catching up with Logan Paulsen's podcast with Hoffman.  He said he's heard a lot of hype for Robinson at the Park from multiple people.  He thinks Gibson in a more limited role is good for Gibson and the team -- thinks it could be a blessing in disguise.  He thinks he'd be an explosive kick returner and loves the idea of using him like that among other things. 

He mentioned even this week when Gibson makes hard cuts the ball swings some in his hand, its just part of his natural movement and thinks for that reason he probably will have some fumbles.  But he still likes him.  He mentioned Alfred Morris used to hold the ball incredibly tight.  He sees the same from Robinson. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1