Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Haskins (RIP) pick would have been a much bigger deal.  Sure, we lost out on the opportunity cost of a different player, and the bust was the bust.  But it didn't prevent us for doing anything, which is the real change. 

We needed a QB, so it does prevent you from affecting real change as the problem is occupying that position. Then it's hard to give up on a 1st rounder, so that hurts the whole team. Seems like there's a better way to get players up to NFL speed and not hurt the whole team. Got to win on those picks or it's an organization setback.

Rams will pay the ferryman eventually, but they might have 2 Super Bowls before it comes due.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Best post i have read in a long long long time.

Come on Jamin, you have the tools, use the criticism as motivation. 

People are too over reactive on Jamin because we took him in the first. I understand that first rounders need to pan out and understand some frustration for the FO for that move… but Jamin didn’t pick himself. He was still a raw outside backer in college who is hyper athletic that they tried in the wrong kind of role at first.

He was always going to take time. Despite being a first rounder.

And he still is going to take time. 

But patience is a virtue with raw players.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

The logic on your part is he will try harder? If he gets 7 sacks, it’s because he’s on the final year of his deal? 

Not coming at you in a condescending way, just curious to hear your thoughts. 

It's not some wild thought that some players play better in their contract year, its almost a cliche as far as FA's in multiple sports.  Yeah they had their best season but that was in their contract season will that extend further now that they got their money.  As for the reasons, its pretty self-evident. Nothing sinister about it.   But in short yes, not everybody has the same level of committment which is also a cliche about sometimes the difference between great players versus good players. 

There are a number of variables as to why but committment and work ethic is certainly one of them.  Michael Jordan among others talked aplenty about their great play isn't just about talent.  And its not always that dramatic -- its not that crappy players become great for example -- its that some players have their best seasons in the years that are critical to their financial livelihood.

If you think its just random coincidence that so many players have had their best seasons in their season heading to FA -- maybe so? No way to know for sure. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not some wild thought that some players play better in their contract year, its almost a cliche as far as FA's in multiple sports.  Yeah they had their best season but that was in their contract season will that extend further now that they got their money.  As for the reasons, its pretty self-evident. Nothing sinister about it.   But in short yes, not everybody has the same level of committment which is also a cliche about sometimes the difference between great players versus good players. 

There are a number of variables as to why but committment and work ethic is certainly one of them.  Michael Jordan among others talked aplenty about their great play isn't just about talent.  And its not always that dramatic -- its not that crappy players become great for example -- its that some players have their best seasons in the years that are critical to their financial livelihood.

If you think its just random coincidence that so many players have had their best seasons in their season heading to FA -- maybe so? No way to know for sure. 

To piggyback, thinking about it as “try harder” is way too narrow of a thought process. For athletes at ANY level, preparation is one of the most important factors. In the pros it is amplified because everyone is a professional level player. Best players in their state growing up. 

There are freaks at every level, too. But that number drops as you climb the levels and competition catches up. 

The reason players generally have better contract years is generally in their preparation, not their on-field effort necessarily. They take better care of their bodies, limit risk to their bodies, invest in rehab techniques, train harder, study film more thoroughly with a larger magnifying glass.

That’s also the reason why some people don’t like signing big money FA because once they get the bag they dial down some of that preparation (not all, by the way.) Or they still do a lot of it but they skip a workout here or there and miss some film… they may still play great but it wasn’t what you thought it was going to be. In some cases we’ve seen here, specifically, they get paid and just stop doing much of anything (Haynesworth).

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

? this isn’t exactly a novel idea, guys try harder and pop off in a contract year all the time. They have extra incentive, after all. 

Yep. 

And it's not extreme.

Life is shades of grey typically.  I had years in school where I was more motivated than others.  I was a B student in college mostly but then when I realized what I wanted to do and I wanted to get in a good grad school my grades rose closer to 4 GPA.  I was the same guy the whole time, my grades were always good but I could take it up a level when I wanted to turn good to great.  And I did.

Bringing this back to football, obviously to play great you need great talent.  Some have it, some don't.  But the ability to push youself on a 10 level isn't how everyone rolls.  I talk about it all the time on the draft thread when you read about draft prospects, some dudes are just special in their motivation and drive, others not the same.  College coaches talk about it and when they do I pay attention to that dynamic -- when they have a dude who is special on that front they are touted that way -- and its not because its a dime or dozen quality but because its a quality that not every player has.

I was into Terry McLaurin before the draft in part because his intangibles were touted to be through the roof including work ethic.  It doesn't mean that those who aren't like Terry are the opposite extreme.  It's that some dudes really push themselves to greatnesses.  And coaches including Saban talk about it all the time -- not every player rolls like that.  And some of the ones who are lets say B level as far as self motivators, can find that A level motivation when the external factors drive them to do so -- for some players that happens in a contract year. But its not lazy versus motivated.  It's B level drive versus A level drive. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To piggyback, thinking about it as “try harder” is way too narrow of a thought process. For athletes at ANY level, preparation is one of the most important factors. In the pros it is amplified because everyone is a professional level player. Best players in their state growing up. 

There are freaks at every level, too. But that number drops as you climb the levels and competition catches up. 

The reason players generally have better contract years is generally in their preparation, not their on-field effort necessarily. They take better care of their bodies, limit risk to their bodies, invest in rehab techniques, train harder, study film more thoroughly with a larger magnifying glass.

That’s also the reason why some people don’t like signing big money FA because once they get the bag they dial down some of that preparation (not all, by the way.) Or they still do a lot of it but they skip a workout here or there and miss some film… they may still play great but it wasn’t what you thought it was going to be. In some cases we’ve seen here, specifically, they get paid and just stop doing much of anything (Haynesworth).

Yep I think it was Keim who talked about Stubbelfield who he spoke to.   Stubblefield wanted that bg FA contract (forgot the story but if I recall it partly centered on not growing up with money) and he a hard career year, 15 acks, heading into FA.  Once he got the fat contract, he admitted to him his drive wasn't the same.

This isn't inventing the wheel with some outlandish theory.  It's a common narrative about FA in multiple sports.  

Drives fuels preperation  -- whether its film study, diet, whatever.  

52 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Best post i have read in a long long long time.

Come on Jamin, you have the tools, use the criticism as motivation. 

My worry is that he’s talking about practice. The same practice where reportedly, on the radio, the offense is getting annoyed at the defense for calling out the plays at the line, something they have no problem doing against their own teammates but will certainly struggle to do against the opposition this year. 

Im not quite ready to write of Jamin yet but if he doesn’t flash in these next two preseason games, we have a problem. 

1 tackle against the Jags.

• Sad 1

Jamin with one year of college ball experience.  Freakish athletic ability. supposedly high intangibes.  He plays one of the slower developing spots for young players, LB.

Look at Devonde Campbell among others at LB, dudes we coveted in FA. Many of them had "meh" starts to their career.

I'd let it play out some.   Keim said the Carolina coaches told him that J. Davis reminds them some of Thomas Davis who also took some time to develop.  Thomas didn't have 100 tackles until his 4th season.  Not saying it will take that long with Jamin but I don't see that spot coupled with his lack of experience fitting a give up soon type of drill with him.

From Football Outsiders

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2455602-great-draft-class-doesnt-matter-rookies-rarely-have-an-immediate-impact

Great Draft Class? Doesn't Matter: Rookies Rarely Have an Immediate Impact

Roughly two-thirds of all drafted players will be buried on benches, relegated to practice squads or outright released.

It makes all of our draft grading sound a little bit silly, doesn't it?

Rookies matter a lot. It's rookie seasons that don't matter much.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, CommandB11 said:

I noticed Chase was constantly on the front of the sideline directly at the LOS during every defensive snap. He was consistently standing directly beside Kerrigan and the chain gang. He also seemed to be the first one to meet anyone coming off the field.

I'm wondering why Chase wasn't in there doing pushups himself? Or did he do some?

57 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I wish that they would announce which field that they're going to practice on and if they're going to be in pads.

Camp is fun, but when the action is on the far field, it's a pain in the ass to watch.

They should really make accommodations for fans to get a good view, regardless of the field.

I've been to quite a few camps, so it's not as disappointing for me, (but it is aggravating),as it is for the fans who have never been, or can only go once.  I felt bad for the kids, and their parents, who were obviously there for the first time, but bummed because they couldn't see ****. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Yea that’s all we need is Gibby fumbling punts. WTF .. why would we want him returning punts?

I see two reasons for it. One is that they want him touching the ball as much as possible and it's all practicing securing the ball in his arms.

The other is that Robinson and McKissic have RB locked down and third string RBs need to carry their weight elsewhere.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I'm 100% in on bringing back Erick Flowers if he'll sign for a year. 3 weeks from opening day and the OL is already having some healthy issues.

They dont worry me, yet, cause they are going to have to play injured. Thats just how it goes. 

I say this knowing fully well ima poop myself if we look like this for the first game of the season lol

• Haha 1