Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Oh absolutely. In fairness though, Jimmy G's shoulder was only cleared recently. Still feels too late to start a "QB competition" for the Giants.

Sapp was teammates with our GM for 2 years, and I think there's another connection I'm forgetting.

Which GM? Mayhew?

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sapp is in camp in Commanders gear? 

What's his connection to our coaching staff? He played against Mills. Beat JDR in the SB. How does that happen?

This may seem like a far fetched idea to us Commanders fans but it is nice to see us reaching outside the ole Carolina Coaching and Staff tree to get some outside help.

If you can't beat them, have them join your team! We need more winners on our staff. 

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

This may seem like a far fetched idea to us Commanders fans but it is nice to see us reaching outside the ole Carolina Coaching and Staff tree to get some outside help.

If you can't beat them, have them join your team! We need more winners on our staff. 

Yeah, I'm not really talking about that. I don't care at all about the Carolina connection. Hell, be sweet if Peppers was there.

Lots of talk about Cole Turner basically being a WR for all intents and purposes. Armani Rogers is the same size as Cam Sims. If Rogers is impressing, why do we need Cam Sims? Sims and Rogers are listed at 6'5-220 and 6'5-225.

6 "WR"

McLaurin, Dotson, Samuels, Milne, Turner, Rogers

3 "TE"

TE won't be thin either with Logan Thomas, John Bates, and then either Curtis Hodges/Sammis Reyes

3 QB's, 3 RB's, 9 OL. That leaves 1 last spot for an additional OL or an extra WR.

For more comparison of Rogers:

"Rogers was a participant at the UCLA Pro Day, posting a 4.56-second 40-yard dash, 4.31-second short shuttle, 7.20-second three-cone, 34 inches in the vertical jump and 10'10" in the broad jump."

Sims had similar (if slightly worse) times as Rogers at his Pro Day.

19 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sure. But that’s not his fault. 

Yes, you're 100% right, it wasn't Jamin's fault.  And no player should ever be directly faulted for being drafted "too high", as of course they have no direct say in the process.   But this is a BIG fail on the front office / coaching staff side (looking at you, Ron Rivera).  To draft a very inexperienced, weakside linebacker with a premium, top-20 overall pick, then try to put him in a position (Middle LB) where he never even played in college, was a reckless, arrogant play that so far looks awful.  

I actually like Davis, I truly hope that he can become a Pro-Bowl level player.  But this whole thing is on Rivera's head at this point.  And it's not a good look, at all.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yes, you're 100% right, it wasn't Jamin's fault.  And no player should ever be directly faulted for being drafted "too high", as of course they have no direct say in the process.   But this is a BIG fail on the front office / coaching staff side (looking at you, Ron Rivera).  To draft a very inexperienced, weakside linebacker with a premium, top-20 overall pick, then try to put him in a position (Middle LB) where he never even played in college, was a reckless, arrogant play that so far looks awful.  

I actually like Davis, I truly hope that he can become a Pro-Bowl level player.  But this whole thing is on Rivera's head at this point.  And it's not a good look, at all.

So being where we are, is it even worth considering doing a trade for Roquan Smith? That would mean investing 2 first round picks (Jamin and 2023 to Bears) and a LOT of money in the LB position. *quoted to stay on topic, general question to all

9 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

So being where we are, is it even worth considering doing a trade for Roquan Smith? That would mean investing 2 first round picks (Jamin and 2023 to Bears) and a LOT of money in the LB position. *quoted to stay on topic, general question to all

If we were one player away, I'd say yes. But this team isn't close to being just one player away. 

My preference would be to roll the dice on a mid-tier vet for depth and then draft LB high next year.

• Like 3

I can’t believe people think we will go with 2 rookie tight ends as replacements for wide receivers?

Turner will definitely be busy as the main receiving tight end until Logan is ready. Bates is the main blocking tight end. When Logan comes back we can see how Turner has progressed and then we can have some options splitting Turner out wide. At the end of the day Turner is a rookie!

I like Rogers and think he’s similar to Logan (former qb). He has size and some speed but he was undrafted. Again he’s a rookie and we need at least a half a season to see how he will do in the NFL. NO way I would count on him as our main backups at wideout going into the season. Cam has shown he has some decent hands, improved on his route running and has size over Terry and Dotson. And he plays special teams. 

I think the battle cones down to the last wideout position between Milne and Erickson. If Dax can return punts then he probably has the edge although PS may make more sense as Erickson is a vet and has more experience. I think Logan starts on PUP with Turner Bates and Rogers with Reyes on PS. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

No.

Unless you want Sweat and Payne to be definitive no go extensions. Roquan Smith's cost would have to replace at least one of them. And since Payne may already be a foregone conclusion that means Sweat. I'd replace Sweat for Smith... but the additional cost of a first rounder makes that hard to comprehend. 

Just now, KDawg said:

No.

Unless you want Sweat and Payne to be definitive no go extensions. Roquan Smith's cost would have to replace at least one of them. And since Payne may already be a foregone conclusion that means Sweat. I'd replace Sweat for Smith... but the additional cost of a first rounder makes that hard to comprehend. 

Would Chicago go for Payne and a 2nd round pick for Roquan?

3 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I can’t believe people think we will go with 2 rookie tight ends as replacements for wide receivers?

Turner will definitely be busy as the main receiving tight end until Logan is ready. Bates is the main blocking tight end. When Logan comes back we can see how Turner has progressed and then we can have some options splitting Turner out wide. At the end of the day Turner is a rookie!

I like Rogers and think he’s similar to Logan (former qb). He has size and some speed but he was undrafted. Again he’s a rookie and we need at least a half a season to see how he will do in the NFL. NO way I would count on him as our main backups at wideout going into the season. Cam has shown he has some decent hands, improved on his route running and has size over Terry and Dotson. And he plays special teams. 

I think the battle cones down to the last wideout position between Milne and Erickson. If Dax can return punts then he probably has the edge although PS may make more sense as Erickson is a vet and has more experience. I think Logan starts on PUP with Turner Bates and Rogers with Reyes on PS. 

Has anyone said anything about Rogers playing receiver?

Just now, Jbird7 said:

Would Chicago go for Payne and a 2nd round pick for Roquan?

I don't believe we can trade the second as it is a part of the Wentz trade. Unless they go for a 2024. But I'm sure they will get some high end offers for him that are better than that.