Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

1 hour ago, Bantu said:

The pushback from Wentz apologists about his apparent lack of success in practice sessions is surprising. Descriptions of his struggles sound exactly like his struggles in live game action. What is so hard to believe? 

I applauded the move to bring Wentz here, all things considered.  I still do.  But I'm no Wentz apologist - a rough camp, for may of the same reasons he's struggled in the past - is nothing to overlook, but at the same time - it's a new system, with new personnel, with more pressure than he's probably ever felt in his life.  It's not completely out of pocket to give him some leniency for those reasons.

At the end of the day, I'm fully expecting to get the whole gamut from this dude - highs and lows.  All I really want is to be entertained and he should bring that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

These reports on Jamin Davis are devastating. What a bust of a first rounder at a position we could not afford it.

This is as bad a bust we've seen at a non-QB position in awhile

1 minute ago, Bantu said:

This is as bad a bust we've seen at a non-QB position in awhile

Simply terrible. It's bad enough that we wasted a 1st rounder on him but worse yet, we have NO depth at the position behind him. 

If I were the FO, the LB position is top priority in the draft next year. However, this time, don't be cute about it and try and act like the smartest guy in the room going so far outside of consensus to reach on a prospect.

On the Mayo, Davis stuff.  The reason why we see Davis with the 1's sometimes and Mayo with the 1's sometimes according to Keim is it seems like they like Davis in passing downs and Mayo on running downs.

Don't know if Keim is right but he usually is and often gets inside info that drives his points.

It's not hard to miss that the local media really really really loves the narrative that Davis isn't working out -- its a certainly a sexy story to have a first round bust.  Keim seems a bit more measured though on this as he typically is.

As for what the facts are?  I don't know.  But listening to just about every podcast out there, seems like the overall impression on Davis is not great, not bad, somewhere in between in camp.  Rivera and Del Rio though seem to be touting his camp so who knows?  From my own experiences in camp, I found it tough to judge LBs because there isn't much hard hitting-tackles, etc.  So mostly what you can do is see if the LBs are following the sequence of the plays well.  The preseason games are likely much more telling for that spot. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Kicker news....LOL

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/pfbid0qNAXJq3SUV4yuAhDB1pTXLKALFAatNSaipyqVGAzf4WSREsERuhWB95gyTu2QSxdl

Comp update: Ravens are giving Pro-Bowl kicker Justin Tucker a four-year, $24 million extension that includes $17.5 million guaranteed and an $11.5 million signing bonus, per source.

The NFL’s highest-paid kicker.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

One year of playing tie is definitely not enough time to label anyone a bust. Especially a LBer with little experience, but elite traits.

LBs are often a slow play position to develop ala TEs.  Guys that some of us loved on the FA thread that we wanted ala Devondre Campbell among others weren't hot from the jump.  They developed.

Feel a litte bad for him because its not hard to miss that the local media knows they can get the fans stirred up by saying something negative about him because of the stakes of him being a first rounder and its a sexy story to say he's not working out.   From most accounts, he's a hard working dude, comes from a military family.  I am less forgiving of Dyami Brown who supposedly struggled with his chemistry with Wentz in OTAs yet he's the one dude who didn't go to California to work with Wentz.

On another note, hearing a reporter, I don't recoginze his voice, touting Curl right now on the radio.  Keim also has touted him a lot

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LBs are often a slow play position to develop ala TEs.  Guys that some of us loved on the FA thread that we wanted ala Devondre Campbell among others weren't hot from the jump.  They developed.

Feel a litte bad for him because its not hard to miss that the local media knows they can get the fans stirred up by saying something negative about him because of the stakes of him being a first rounder and its a sexy story to say he's not working out.   From most accounts, he's a hard working dude, comes from a military family.  I am less forgiving of Dyami Brown who supposedly struggled with his chemistry with Wentz in OTAs yet he's the one dude who didn't go to California to work with Wentz.

That's a good point. It's a shame McKissic didn't go either and I assume that Bates didn't because he was injured, which we now know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a good point. It's a shame McKissic didn't go either and I assume that Bates didn't because he was injured, which we now know.

Judging by Keim, McKissic also having a big camp.   A lot of good news in the mix about a lot of players, hopefully it plays out during the season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh, we're still overreacting to a 2nd year LB who was drafted as a raw prospect isn't Ray Lewis?

Well, he was drafted 19th and Ray Lewis was drafted 26th in their respected drafts, so ...

;)

:229:The Rook

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, you're saying he doesn't have any fight or fire in him?

Just make sure that all the knives are replaced with plasticware.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, hearing a reporter, I don't recoginze his voice, touting Curl right now on the radio.  Keim also has touted him a lot

Really hoping Davis surprises everyone this year, especially with like you pointed out all the media attention. Seems like a good all around dude. Rooting for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh, we're still overreacting to a 2nd year LB who was drafted as a raw prospect isn't Ray Lewis?

The problem though is that we drafted a LB "as a raw prospect" with the 19th overall pick in the first round.   This pick sucked on draft night last year, and it's looking exponentially worse now.

Edited by ColonialWBSkinsFan
clarity
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

The problem though is that we drafted a LB "as a raw prospect" with the 19th overall pick in the first round.   This pick sucked on draft night last year, and it's looking exponentially worse now.

Sure. But that’s not his fault. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sure. But that’s not his fault. 

I agree that it's early to throw in the towel on Jamin, I don't think the "not his fault" argument holds water. It wasn't Heath Shuler's fault that he got drafted in the first round. That was Washington's decision. It doesn't matter whose fault it is: Person doesn't live up to the value of his peers drafted after him, he's a bust.

I'll wait for some playing time during the regular season to really form an opinion, but I can't deny that the only value he's had so far is that he kept Jon Bostic off the field.

• Like 3