Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

Post all articles, media reports, tweets, etc regarding OTAs and Training Camp here.

What position battles are you most excited for? Who's your dark horse to make the squad?

One of my favorite parts of the year. Looking forward to seeing who emerges and chopping it up with you guys about all the offseason camps.

Looks like the Chase/Sweat/Payne drama was much ado about nothing with everyone present in Ashburn for phase 2 of OTAs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'll also add that Logan Paulsen's comments on OTAs on the burgundy zone podcast were very exciting as well 

Said the TE room is loaded, best he's seen on this team. Said Cole Turner already looking like a starting caliber NFL F-TE. Also said Hodges looks like he could also contribute year 1. The size and catch radius of all our TEs is elite.

TE is probably my most exciting position group thus far. Gonna be difficult to stash any of these guys on the PS without getting poached by another team. Thinking we keep 4. Does Logan start the year on IR? Ditto Sammis Reyes, he's been out for the first portion of OTAs nursing an injury (doesn't bode well for his chances). 

I believe Amari Rogers has been moved from TE to WR, opposite for AGG who has been converted to a TE.

Logan Thomas

John Bates

Cole Turner

Sammis Reyes

Curtis Hodges

Antonio Gandy-Golden

What a stacked position group.

Personally I think the best chances to make it through waivers to the PS are Reyes and AGG (despite where he was drafted).

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'll also add that Logan Paulsen's comments on OTAs on the burgundy zone podcast were very exciting as well 

Said the TE room is loaded, best he's seen on this team. Said Cole Turner already looking like a starting caliber NFL F-TE. Also said Hodges looks like he could also contribute year 1. The size and catch radius of all our TEs is elite.

Good to hear Paulsen hype Turner because he wasn't that high on him as a draft pick as opposed to Cooley who really dug Turner.

Parras was on Standig's podcast and was asked which darkhorse type player looked good to him last week and he said Hodges.

Sheehan also said today that he heard that they have some concerns as for when Logan Thomas will be ready this season

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Logan Thomas

John Bates

Cole Turner

Sammis Reyes

Curtis Hodges

Antonio Gandy-Golden

What a stacked position group.

Stacked with potential and one proven guy coming off a major injury. 

We do this to ourselves every offseason, look at physical traits and project it to be a "stacked" group and then the regular season rolls around and reality sets in.

I truly hope you're right but I'm waiting to see some production before I start buying the hype this time.

Been fooled way too many times.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good to hear Paulsen hype Turner because he wasn't that high on him as a draft pick as opposed to Cooley who really dug Turner.

Parras was on Standig's podcast and was asked which darkhorse type player looked good to him last week and he said Hodges.

Sheehan also said today that he heard that they have some concerns as for when Logan Thomas will be ready this season

Yeah Paulsen commented on his pre-draft stance as well. Said the hardest thing to scout is a players drive because he isn't in the interview rooms. But said it's been obvious that Turner wants to be great and has shown why the team fell in love with him. Great work ethic.

And your comments on Logan make sense as to why we brought in so much TE talent. 

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Stacked with potential and one proven guy coming off a major injury. 

We do this to ourselves every offseason, look at physical traits and project it to be a "stacked" group and then the regular season rolls around and reality sets in.

I truly hope you're right but I'm waiting to see some production before I start buying the hype this time.

Been fooled way too many times.

Id argue Bates more than proved himself last season and should be even better in his Sophomore season.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Id argue Bates more than proved himself last season and should be even better in his Sophomore season

I think he proved he belongs on an nfl roster and is an excellent blocker but 20 catches for 249 and one touchdown is hardly proven to be "stacked" as you put it

Again I like the way the position group looks and I'm excited to see how they develop but no way I'm willing to say it's stacked yet.

Wait and see for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm all in on Holcomb. Swole for Cole!

Bates put up most of his stats at the end of the year bailing out Heini and finding the soft zone holes. I think he's going to look like Ertz with better blocking. I'm excited about TE and RB this year.

And hearing about 40 & 70 yard bombs has me giddy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Anybody hear anything about the rookie safety?

interested to know how much burn he is getting.

Also wanna see the Oline set up in drills, but I'm not so sure they are that far along yet.

Full media access is tomorrow. Today was just a few snippets from social media influencer/podcaster day.

Hoping to get some more juicy tidbits with the regular beat reporters and the coach/player media availability post-practice. 

I'm buying a Percy Butler jersey myself, hope I don't jinx him.

• Like 1

From a pass-catching standpoint, Gandy-Golden should have little difficulty making the transition. After all, it should be easier to beat linebackers in coverage as opposed to cornerbacks and safeties.

Blocking, however, will be the deciding factor on whether Gandy-Golden can find a home at tight end.

"It is kind of hard right now because we're not in pads, but we wanna make sure he knows those assignments and where he is headed," Rivera said.

Gandy-Golden should be able to carry over many of the traits he used as a receiver to lock down cornerbacks, although he'll be dealing with a more aggressive style with defensive linemen and linebackers. That's where his size comes in, and the muscle mass he's added should help him handle the physical demands of the position.

The Commanders have an abundance of tight ends, even with Thomas going through his recovery. In addition to him and Turner, there's also John Bates and Sammis Reyes, both of whom have traits that excite the coaching staff.

So, there are some hurdles in Gandy-Golden's path as he tries to make the roster. But with four months between now and when the 53-man roster is decided, there's still plenty of time for him to make his case.

"If you have some size and some athletic ability and you are a guy that has ball skills, I think you can transition very well to that position," Rivera said.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Me too.

But I temper it with knowing that it's OTAs and both Dotson and Wentz aren't really being challenged by the defense right now.

Excites me knowing that our defense is already in mid-season form, not challenging anybody 💪

• Haha 10

9 hours ago, Conn said:

Excites me knowing that our defense is already in mid-season form, not challenging anybody 💪

It's so funny. Exactly one year ago, everyone thought Del Rio and the defense would be monsters. Now, everyone thinks it is monstrous. The D still could be very good. We still have a D line that could potentially terrorize quarterbacks. We do have questions in the secondary and linebacker though. Is Fuller good? Can Jackson recover his Cinci swagger? Do we have two or three decent safeties? Can Del Rio call a good game? Do we have two good linebackers on the team?

We'll find out the answers, but it's crazy how almost all of us were sure that the D was the strength of this team a year ago and now we think it is the albatross holding them back.

• Like 2

Listening to Finlay and BMitch, Finlay said it's interesting he has yet to see a 3 LB'er set in these OTA's.  Could be something or could be nothing.  BMitch added often times in OTA's they work on certain things and might not want people to see to much of what will really be happening in season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2