Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2022 General offseason discussion thread

Zim489

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Well, towards the end Shanny definitely felt no desire to shield his players. He was happy to throw everyone under the bus, pour gasoline on their remains, light it up, and then detonate dynamite he placed along the bridge as he drove off.

While this may be true this was a different situation, he was at the end and knew he would be gone. He didn't do it at OTAs that year, rarely does any other coach.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't really remember Gibbs actually criticizing a player publicly. I remember him going out of his way to put everything on his own shoulders.

He wasn’t shy about Sean Taylor not showing up and not being able to reach him (I think he used “disappointed”, which—for Gibbs—is almost a profanity-laced tirade lol)…Wasn't shy about why he was not starting Ramsey when Brunell looked horrid in 2004 (although that one seemed due more to frustrations from the press and fans incessantly wanting Brunell benched than to anything Ramsey had done).

And can’t say for sure but Gibbs may have said some stuff publicly about Lavar in 2005…it seems a foggy memory without me looking it up.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

About the only thing I liked about Gruden was, unlike most every other coach, he told it straight.  Remember what a big deal it was when he called out Robert for not having a clue, using a 1 step drop when it should have been 3?  That was a big deal because it was rarely done. Gibbs?  Come on, he went out of his way to back his players, he hid his true feeling from the press as almost every coach does. 

The claim that coaches routinely call out players and give their true feeling to the press is nonsense. I can't believe I am even debating this.

The ones I mentioned voiced their disappointment and displeasure when they felt it was needed. And unfortunately Sean Taylor gave ample opportunities for Gibbs to be disappointed during his first two seasons. You don’t have to be a Bill Parcells to make your feelings known. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Well, towards the end Shanny definitely felt no desire to shield his players. He was happy to throw everyone under the bus, pour gasoline on their remains, light it up, and then detonate dynamite he placed along the bridge as he drove off.

Towards the end?…Anyone else remember the Haynesworth and McNabb public feuds in the first season of Shanny’s tenure?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:20 AM, SkinsGuy said:

Coach Rivera can't do that.

One, the players voted on him. Not the coach. Rivera unilaterally voiding it would make their voting for their team captains appear bogus.

Two, OTAs are strictly voluntary. Coaches or teams cannot punish or seek retribution on a player for not participating in them.

Coach Rivera stripping Young of his captain status for not being there at OTAs would most likely invoke action by the NFLPA to the NFL to take action against the Commanders for violating the CBA.

Which could mean a big fine, or maybe even a loss of draft picks. Or both.

Rivera taking action like that over OTAs would just cause more problems than anything. 

After a wonderful day of barbecuing and feasting on my world famous Flintstone sized ribs- "burp!" (so big and meaty they'll topple your car at the drive in) I was all set to teach some of you ill mannered but loveablly ignorant youngsters the meaning and importance of discipline, honor, and team accountability today. 🤪

But to hell with all that!

My ship just came in. I have hit the lottery boys and girls and I intend to spend the rest of my daze living like a king in the lap of luxury.

How you ask?

A few minutes ago I checked my email and lo and behold what I found there. My personal ticket to power and earthly paradise.

You may read on with envy...

"Dear Sir/Madam I am Mr. Stefano Pessina, a brother of the Illuminati District brotherhood of Sochi, I am inviting you to join the Great Illuminati Brotherhood Organization to become a billionaire, for fame, power, business, and lucrative position. Every new member is to receive the sum of $5,000,000 00 USD as a benefit and 5,000.00 USD as a monthly payment and a new home in any country of their choice. and a model Golden Mercedes Benz-SUV 2022, if you are interested in becoming a member of the Illuminati Brotherhood, send an email via [EMAIL ADDRESS REDACTED FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE GULLIBLE] to guide you on how to be a member."

So long you Commander loving suckers I got me a ticket to wealth, prosperty and unlimited power. 

Maybe one day I'll up and buy this team, out of pitty, with petty cash.

See ya later you poor ignorant no money having internet swine!

Now I'm going to go cuss out and make jealous my neighbors, the folks at the YMCA, the greeter at WalMart, my pastor, his wife, the deacons and the entire gospel choir who been looking down at me for years,  and most of all I'm gonna deal with that nasty fry lady at McDonalds that refuses to fry me up a pork chop sandwich every damn time I go there.

One thing ya'll can count on-- money will never change my humble old fashioned values.

Now go **** yourselves losers, I got to call my broker.

XXXXXXX

Seriously, I got this phishing email today and I lmfao. Although it's at least a couple of steps up from the Nigerian prince type scams its still hard to believe that anyone would ever fall for it.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Wyvern said:

It was communicated that Sweat was given an excused absence for Tuesday May 24..

How do you get excused from something that is voluntary?

Wouldn't the nflpa step in if we were giving excused absences from voluntary off-season work?

26 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Wouldn't the nflpa step in if we were giving excused absences from voluntary off-season work?

He was pregnant but he gave birth on his own last week and then rushed here to be with the team. Due to the national shortage of baby formula he breast feeds him during breaks.

That's the kind of old school dedication that wins championships!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

And can’t say for sure but Gibbs may have said some stuff publicly about Lavar in 2005…it seems a foggy memory without me looking it up.

He was pressed about Lavar by the media, because he was saying nothing about anything, but Lavar wasn't playing (definitely not starting, I think he wasn't playing much either), and he said something like, "I have had more conversations with Lavar than any player I've ever coached."

And Lavar still didn't play.  

To me, that's also akin to a profanity laced tirade from Gibbs.  I think he was genuinely frustrated both with Lavar and also with the coverage.  Like, "you idiots, if he knew what he was doing, I would play him.  He doesn't, so I don't.  What part of HALL-OF-FAME WITH THREE GODDAMN LOMBARDIES coach makes you think I don't know what the GODDAMN HELL I'M DOING.  Go piss in a river and shut the **** up." 

That's how "I've had more conversations with Lavar than any player I've ever coached" came off to me.

This might have been 2006, I can't remember the year.  But Gibbs was as hot, he just didn't have a spittoon laced tirade about it.  I kindof wished Parcells would have been the coach to address it, because the answer would have been MUCH more entertaining.  (Gibbs was a better coach, Parcells was a better quote.  And neither of those assertions are really close.)

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

My wording could have been better, but I used wording I had seen from online news articles.

I don't think it was an "official" excused absence, because OTAs are technically voluntary.   ...It was more like Rivera "understanding"/explainimg of Sweat's absence from this year's OTAs.  It probably became an issue after Rivera had earlier communicated his strong desire/hope/expectation that Sweat to be there for the 2022 OTAs.

Here's the link.  http://dcsportsking.com/2022/05/24/chase-young-and-montez-sweat-absence-at-otas-explained/

I'd note that Sweat didn't show up to OTAs until this week. so I hope that Ron is also cool with that too.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Interesting….who? Maybe we signed those players to futures contracts after the season ended?

Kelvin Harmon and AGG. I haven't been following the team as close as I used to, but I thought we cut them both last year. Probably re-signed for camp reps I assume.

33 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Kelvin Harmon and AGG. I haven't been following the team as close as I used to, but I thought we cut them both last year. Probably re-signed for camp reps I assume.

Ahh. Yeah they’ve both been signed on and off again from time to time. AGG is converting to TE it appears. 

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ahh. Yeah they’ve both been signed on and off again from time to time. AGG is converting to TE it appears. 

Also I don't recall who wrote it but there was a post on the forum a week or so ago about how AGG spent time lifting and getting specially concocted "vitamin" transfusions at "Laron Landry's Muscle Building Emporium and Antique Shop" in Jasper, Wyoming.

I wish I could find that post.They even showed a picture of what he looked like afterwards and he is a real beast. Almost looked like a complerely different player.

AGG apparently has bulked up so significantly that when Ron first saw him at mini-camp last week he thought he was a rookie tryout old school run stuffing 2 down mlb or a center disrupting nose tackle  and he asked him his name and college.

When Rivera realized who he really was and that he had been messing around with "Professor" Laron's muscle bulking treatments he shook his head and said he better lose some weight fast and cut down on his concoction consumption.

• Haha 4

I am still miffed and pissed we didn't even let Lavar try to block kicks. Yes he was on the field hands on hips waiting for the fake that never happened a single time. I would have liked to have seen him tried in an LT role for a game before writing him off. I know the priority on D was to read react and get run over amid a few decades of bend don't breakness and that was not Lavar. We'll always have that Aikman hit.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am still miffed and pissed we didn't even let Lavar try to block kicks. Yes he was on the field hands on hips waiting for the fake that never happened a single time. I would have liked to have seen him tried in an LT role for a game before writing him off. I know the priority on D was to read react and get run over amid a few decades of bend don't breakness and that was not Lavar. We'll always have that Aikman hit.

Don't remember exactly but didn't he become famous at Penn State for jumping over the line of scrimmage right after the snap and either sacking the qb or blocking a punt/kick?

I think they called it either "Lavar's leap" or "The Lavar Leap" in the papers and on tv the next day.

Anyone remember this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Don't remember exactly but didn't he become famous at Penn State for jumping over the line of scrimmage right after the snap and either sacking the qb or blocking a punt/kick?

I think they called it either "Lavar's leap" or "The Lavar Leap" in the papers and on tv the next day.

Anyone remember this?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Anyone remember this?

Penn State fans do.  I couldn't find the number of blocked kicks he had in college but IIRC it was 6

https://www.facebook.com/BTN/videos/lavar-arrington-blocks-field-goal-with-chest/247633879468859/

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:56 AM, redskinss said:

The list of players for who OTAs are truly voluntary is very small. Yeah, those few guys might get called out. Most of the other guys would be giving away the opportunity to play or even make the team. Remember, especially for certain positions, OTAs are when many players get penciled in a starters or at least high in enough in the order that they are close to locks to make at least the top 60 or so. I suspect that the term excused absence here really just means you gave a reason that was acceptable to the coaching staff.

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

The list of players for who OTAs are truly voluntary is very small. Yeah, those few guys might get called out. Most of the other guys would be giving away the opportunity to play or even make the team. Remember, especially for certain positions, OTAs are when many players get penciled in a starters or at least high in enough in the order that they are close to locks to make at least the top 60 or so. I suspect that the term excused absence here really just means you gave a reason that was acceptable to the coaching staff.

All true, but it still has to be done behind closed doors.

The conversation started with someone saying montez was "excused" from practice.

That may be, I just don't see how we could know that without the nflpa having a problem.