Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2022 General offseason discussion thread

Zim489

Well the draft is over. FA is essentially over. We are now in the dull drums of the offseason until OTAs and then Camp with all just random conversation from the random topics that come up.

We have had a lot of rounds of disucssions with JDR and Turner of the last few days.

JDR himself has been talking a ton recently about not having his DBs all collected during the offseason last year when talking about the pass defense. Odd hes leaving out the LBs when talking about the pass coverage when it was clearly our biggest weakness on defense.

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

Don't know why, but this morning I realized I'm rooting for Charles to steal one of those starting guard positions. Maybe it's just because I want something good to come out of the Trent Williams fiasco. More likely it's that I'd love for one of our rookies to step up for a longer term fix... Although at this point he may only have a year or two left on his contract. Still, I wouldn't mind if Charles could find a way to beat Turner, Schweitzer, and Norwell.

Steep climb though and clearly with the latest signing the coaching staff doesn't think he can do it.

Surprise us and grab your spot, Charles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

qb 4?

I would definitely prefer to see what Cole Kelley brings to the table as a scout team/practice squad QB, rather than revisit the Steven Montez experiment personally. He was completely lost here in addition to being bad. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:19 AM, Burgold said:

Don't know why, but this morning I realized I'm rooting for Charles to steal one of those starting guard positions. Maybe it's just because I want something good to come out of the Trent Williams fiasco. More likely it's that I'd love for one of our rookies to step up for a longer term fix... Although at this point he may only have a year or two left on his contract. Still, I wouldn't mind if Charles could find a way to beat Turner, Schweitzer, and Norwell.

Steep climb though and clearly with the latest signing the coaching staff doesn't think he can do it.

Surprise us and grab your spot, Charles.

You and me both Burgie. It seems each year we tend to focus on the new blood infused and allow the previous years additions to be forgotten. Maybe it's the Cinderella stories or the desire to see true starting quality talent developed by the staff. Fancy Free agent upgrades distracting us from what we once hoped for.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:17 AM, Zim489 said:

I just imagine the conversation going something like this:

Jack Del Rio: With the new additions, we will continue to use the "doughnut" defense this year."

Reporter: "Doughnut?  What is the hole in the middle?"

JDR: "It's the Line Backers ... but we feel really, really good about them."

double take back to the 90s GIF

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

There really wasn’t a good reason to wait on extending McClaurin. Premium players never get cheaper. I do get how acquiring Wentz threw the cap plans into the air, but priorities need to be planned for. 

On the other hand, there’s really no incentive for Terry to extend before the Adams, Brown, and now Samuel and Metcalf deals play out.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

On the other hand, there’s really no incentive for Terry to extend before the Adams, Brown, and now Samuel and Metcalf deals play out.

Agreed. But Terry saying no or not yet is different than the FO not pitching him an offer. 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, Conn said:

I would definitely prefer to see what Cole Kelley brings to the table as a scout team/practice squad QB, rather than revisit the Steven Montez experiment personally. He was completely lost here in addition to being bad. 

I thought he actually played well in the preseason last year and has a nice size/arm combo.

18 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Good lord where the hell does this level of confidence come from

Honestly, it's probably... Look how good we were at times with Heinike, McClaurin and Gibson. Imagine what we can do with Wentz, Samuels, Logan, McKissic, and Dotson!

Besides, if you can't be positive at this time of the year you may as well pack it in.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 3

If and it’s a major if at this point, Carson Wentz returns to his 2017 form this team can have a top 10 offense. If he plays like he did last year they’ll have a middle of the road offense as a ceiling. This entire Ron tenure comes down to Wentz and I find it hysterical

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Besides, if you can't be positive at this time of the year you may as well pack it in.

Difference between positive and delusional. I think theyll have a 14-18th ranked offense. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yup, this is the time to talk about what new wrinkles your gonna add, what new dimensions your gonna bring, all the good stuff.

Every NFL franchise should be in this mode right now. Keep sending out positive vibes. Sky's the limit and everything is gonna work the way you think it will. It never plays out like that, but that is the mindset you gotta have. You've cracked the football equation and distilled the formula.

If your draggin' yourself to the facility and only hoping for mediocrity than the season is already over.

• Like 1

Young still doesn't get it.

Are we even sure he's good?

Flashed in a couple games late in his first season. 

Was dominated by journeymen tackles before he got hurt last year.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, dyst said:

Young, Payne and Montez need to go. These guys think they are better than they are. 

Young is rehabbing an ACL tear and was Rookie of the year. I get the sophomore mistake he made, however he was double teamed on a regular basis before he went under the knife. That entire defense didn't play well until TB game and Jac DelTaco is as predictable as a double headed nickel. I'd easily give Young a mulligan. Sweat had the most production on a bad Defense. Daron Payne has the right to protest, but it's not going to matter. He can't afford to holdout. He has to ball-out to maximize his market value next year. Payne is the odd man out. Sweat is borderline. They'd have to get multiple picks and more to move Young.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Young, Payne and Montez need to go. These guys think they are better than they are. 

Relax.

Sweat requested this day off. He'll be back tomorrow.

Young is still rehabbing from his late season knee injury. No one really expected him to be back this early. Rehabbing takes time.

I'm not sure about Payne's reasons. Contract issues?