Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

The 2023 NFL Draft offensive tackle class is an enigma, but halfway through the season, it’s starting to look like a much stronger group than what was first anticipated. In a 2023 NFL Draft class that’s getting deeper and deeper, who are the top 10 offensive tackle prospects, and who stakes the strongest claim to the OT1 title at this moment?

Top 10 OTs in the 2023 NFL Draft

6) Darnell Wright, Tennessee

PFN was higher than most on Darnell Wright entering the 2022 campaign. He first caught my eye when I was scouting Will Anderson Jr. against Tennessee last season. I watched the Volunteers’ left tackle fold Anderson with one arm on a running play, using overwhelming upper-body torque to seal the Alabama star out with shocking suddenness.

That was the snap with which Wright got my attention. Additional research revealed a promising profile on the 2022 NFL Draft stage: a massive 6’6″, 330-pound mauler with elite power capacity, a five-star recruit background, and versatility between left and right tackle.

Wright came into 2022 needing to refine his game further. But over halfway through, he’s done just that while looking very natural on the right side of the line for Tennessee. When he saw Anderson again a couple of weeks ago, he locked down the Crimson Tide rusher in pass protection, using surprising short-area athleticism, strong hands, and efficient sets to lull Anderson into submission.

Wright’s method of success is one that’s translatable as a starting right tackle in the NFL. He still struggles with pad level and leverage at times, but Wright can simply erase defenders with his dominating strength and power.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023-nfl-draft-top-10-offensive-tackles/

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/34633986/2023-nfl-draft-rankings-mel-kiper-big-board-top-prospects-every-position

Kiper

_end_rule.png61.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

HT: 6-3 | WT: 310 | Previously: 2

That's right -- a new No. 1 prospect. Carter has been fantastic since he returned in late October from missing two games because of a knee issue. He has three sacks in his past five games, including this show of force in the SEC title game against LSU. Georgia had five defenders picked in Round 1 last April, and Carter arguably was more disruptive than all of them in 2021. He's explosive at the snap and finishes well around the ball, even though he didn't put up huge numbers (8.5 tackles for loss). He has a big frame and can play as a 3-technique tackle. He can dominate from the interior.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Will Anderson Jr., DE, Alabama

HT: 6-4 | WT: 243 | Previously: 1

Anderson's sack numbers are down (10) from his historic 2021 season (17.5), but he ranks third in the country with 21.5 tackles for loss after being No. 1 (34.5) last season. He has a stunning 124 pressures over the past two seasons, which is 49 more than the second-best defender (San Jose State's Viliami Fehoko). He is a dominant and complete edge rusher who might have been the No. 1 overall pick last April if he had been eligible for the draft. Anderson doesn't take plays off, is versatile and plays the run well. He's explosive off the line of scrimmage. Nick Saban & Co. use him as a stand-up outside linebacker, as a down defensive end and even at tackle, where he can blow up guards and centers at the snap.

96.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

HT: 6-3 | WT: 232 | Previously: 4

Levis' stats aren't going to blow you away, but he doesn't have a great supporting cast of playmakers around him. He has 19 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions this season, and his 60.3 QBR ranks 61st in the country. But when I went through all his starts at Kentucky earlier this year, I was really impressed with his game. Levis has a rocket launcher for an arm and makes some "wow" throws. That has gotten the Penn State transfer into trouble at times, but it's clear watching him that he believes he can fit the ball into any window. My comparison is Matthew Stafford.

Levis plays in a pro-style offense at Kentucky, and he's not going to need much time to adjust to the NFL. He can maneuver the pocket and throw on the run. Many of his turnovers came when he tried to use his arm to force throws, and he's going to be punished for mistakes at the next level. Levis is the real deal, though, and there are lots of fans of him in the NFL.

4. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

HT: 6-0 | WT: 194 | Previously: 5

The reigning Heisman Trophy winner has an incredibly quick release. He's accurate and is an anticipatory thrower who knows how to hit receivers where they need the ball to run after the catch. He doesn't make many mistakes. He's one of the best "processors" I've scouted over the past decade, meaning he goes through read progressions to find his target or knows exactly the right time to escape the pocket.

The knock on Young is size; he doesn't have a huge frame, which NFL scouts will likely play up as we get closer to the draft. I don't think he's quite 6-foot, and he's likely never going to be much more than 200 pounds. Still, his arm is more than good enough for him to be a great signal-caller at the next level. After a 47-touchdown, seven-interception season in 2021, Young has 27 touchdown passes and five picks this season, and his 83.7 QBR ranks eighth.

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

HT: 6-1 | WT: 200 | Previously: 16

Smith-Njigba had a lost season, finishing with just five catches because of a nagging hamstring injury. He announced earlier this week that he's entering the draft and will try to heal up before the combine in March. This injury shouldn't affect his play in 2023, and I still think he could be a star at the next level. This is the same wideout who led Ohio State in catches (95) and yards (1,606) last season, even on a team with two wide receivers drafted in Round 1 of the 2022 draft. He has stellar burst and explosiveness out of breaks. He's a hands catcher who can run the entire route tree, and he can make defenders miss after the catch. Most of Smith-Njigba's work came from the slot last season -- all but eight of his catches came while aligned there. He led the FBS in receiving yards per route run (4.0). There's a great chance he will remain the top receiver off the board in April.

77.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

HT: 6-4 | WT: 294 | Previously: 6

I feel good about making Skoronski my top-ranked tackle over Paris Johnson Jr. He is a technician who can bend. He shrugs off quick pass-rushers and can contain rushers who try to win with power. Skoronski started 33 games at left tackle for the Wildcats, and he keeps getting better. He allowed just nine pressures and one sack this season, even though his team has struggled. He could be Northwestern's second top-15 offensive tackle pick in three years (Rashawn Slater in 2021).

7. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

HT: 6-3 | WT: 215 | Previously: 3

Stroud has 81 touchdown passes and just 12 interceptions over the past two seasons and has led the Buckeyes to the College Football Playoff. This season, he ranks second in the country in yards per dropback (8.9) and third in QBR (87.7) and yards per attempt (9.4). He is quite simply a fantastic passer. He has smooth mechanics, good (not great) arm strength and can throw with touch to all levels of the field.

Stroud is coming off his worst game of the season, a two-interception performance in the loss to Michigan. I didn't drop him a few spots because of that game, but he did show a few things he needs to improve. He has to get better when he's off schedule and plays break down; I'd like to see him use his legs to scramble for first downs. He can be a little too rigid in the pocket. Still, I see Stroud as a rookie starter in the NFL.

251.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

HT: 6-0 | WT: 214 | Previously: 7

Robinson does everything for Texas. He runs inside and outside, catches passes and scores a lot of touchdowns. I'm a big fan. Robinson's 2021 season ended when he dislocated his left elbow, but he showed elite ability in those 10 games. He led the FBS in broken tackles forced per game (4.1) and averaged 112.7 rushing yards per game. He is a cut-and-go runner with outstanding vision and explosiveness. Another thing I like about Robinson's game: He catches passes with his hands, not his body. He has 60 catches in three seasons, averaging 13.4 yards per reception. I think NFL teams could use him even more in the passing game.

I don't love drafting running backs in Round 1, but Robinson deserves this ranking; I grade based on ability, not my first-round philosophy. He's going to go somewhere in the top 32 picks if he stays healthy.

2628.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

HT: 6-4 | WT: 215 | Previously: 20

I thought Johnston was going to have a massive season, but then he had just 12 catches for 114 yards and no scores in his first four games. After that slow start, however, he has been stellar. He has 53 catches for 903 yards and five scores. He towers over defenders and runs through them -- he is tremendous after the catch. As I wrote in October, Johnston wins contested jump balls with ease and has a rare length and speed combination. He's going to be a handful for Michigan to cover in the College Football Playoff semifinals.

228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson

HT: 6-5 | WT: 275 | Previously: 11

Murphy has a quick burst out of his stance and can close quickly off the corner. He also plays the run well and is physical at the point of attack. He had 11 sacks in his first two seasons at Clemson and has 6.5 this season. He moves inside to tackle at times, so that versatility will help his stock for NFL teams. I wrote in September that I wanted to see his sack production rise before moving him up, and he has done that with four sacks in his past four games.

2641.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech

HT: 6-6 | WT: 275 | Previously: 15

I wrote about Wilson in our draft notebook last month, and my guy Jordan Reid has been on him since he watched the 2021 tape. Wilson has been a consistent menace off the edge for the Red Raiders. He has seven sacks and 15 total tackles for loss, showing explosion at the snap as a pass-rusher and taking on blockers and holding his ground in the run game. For edge rushers, it's all about physical traits and tools, and the 6-foot-6 Wilson has everything teams want in that regard. He has a high ceiling.

228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

12. Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

HT: 6-5 | WT: 300 | Previously: 12

Bresee, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2020, tore his left ACL in September 2021 and played in just four games, but I was impressed with his tape. He locates the ball well and explodes into the backfield at the snap to disrupt throwing lanes and find ball carriers. He's aggressive and hustles on every snap. He can be a major force inside at the next level. Bresee has 2.5 sacks this season.

87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

HT: 6-4 | WT: 251 | Previously: 8

Mayer has 67 catches for 809 yards and nine touchdowns this season, the latter of which leads the country among tight ends. In three seasons at Notre Dame, he has 180 catches for 2,099 yards and 18 scores. NFL teams want tight ends who can stretch the deep middle of the field -- and block well enough to line up next to offensive tackles. That's Mayer, who can be a force in the red zone. Linebackers simply can't cover him (and safeties struggle with his size). He has a wide catch radius and could produce as a pass-catcher in the NFL. He's a complete player.

14. Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

HT: 6-6 | WT: 315 | Previously: 9

After a season at guard, Johnson kicked outside to left tackle for the Buckeyes this season. He has impressed, allowing one sack and just six pressures as C.J. Stroud's protector. The former five-star prospect has a great chance to be the top tackle in this class. He moves his feet well in pass sets and in the run game, and he has the quickness to keep up with speedy edge rushers. Johnson has everything NFL teams look for in a Day 1 starter at left tackle.

30.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. Jordan Addison, WR, USC

HT: 6-0 | WT: 175 | Previously: 10

We discussed Addison earlier this season when he had seven catches for 172 yards and two scores. What stands out about him is his route-running ability. He just gets open, and he can do it in so many ways. He can make up ground with late bursts to track the ball. He explodes off the line of scrimmage. Addison had 100 catches for 1,592 yards and 17 touchdowns at Pitt last season. He struggled a little bit with an unspecified injury over the past two months, but he has 59 catches for 875 yards and eight scores this season. He was used out of the slot more at Pitt -- he had 76 catches and 14 touchdowns when lined up there in 2021 -- but could play anywhere at the next level.

103.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

HT: 5-10 | WT: 172 | Previously: NR

Flowers, who has 300 catches and 31 touchdowns in his college career, is one of my favorite prospects in this entire class. He's so elusive, so quick in and out of his breaks. He plays out of the slot or lined up outside. He can take a jet sweep to the house. He just gets open and makes plays. He forced 25 missed tackles this season, the third most in the country for wideouts. Flowers' size won't "wow" teams, but just put on the tape, and they'll see why I think he's a first-round talent.

213.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

HT: 6-2 | WT: 200 | Previously: 14

This cornerback class is going to be a tight race all the way until April's draft. I'm a fan of Porter, a lanky and physical defender who can reroute receivers with the best of them. He is aggressive, though he has just one career interception in 29 career starts. With all corners, the testing numbers at the combine will really matter, but I like what I see from Porter on tape. He had his hands full against Ohio State, but he impressed again.

2483.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

HT: 6-2 | WT: 201 | Previously: NR

Gonzalez started 18 games at Colorado -- including six as a true freshman in 2020 -- before transferring to Oregon before the season. After an inconsistent game in the season-opening loss to Georgia, he has been a lockdown corner ever since. Gonzalez picked off four passes this season; he has the hands of a receiver. He has excellent length and the recovery speed to make up for mistakes in his technique. I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise even higher.

57.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

HT: 6-4 | WT: 232 | Previously: NR

Well, I wrote before the season that I was putting Richardson in my Big Board because of his potential. You can't coach his talent and physical ability, and NFL coaches will see the tools and try to develop him now that he has decided to enter the draft. He had an up-and-down season, throwing 17 touchdown passes and nine interceptions while running for nine scores. His 70.6 QBR ranked 35th in the country.

Richardson is still very raw -- his mechanics and footwork need a lot of work. He has accuracy issues on shorter throws that should be easier. And yet, the arm strength and the dual-threat ability are so intriguing that a team near the end of Round 1 absolutely could take him and let him develop. What I say about the draft is that we're trying to project who a prospect could be, not evaluate exactly what he is right now. Richardson hasn't come close to his ceiling. He's going to be a polarizing prospect for the next few months.

20. Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

HT: 6-0 | WT: 193 | Previously: NR

Safety, cornerback, whatever -- Branch can play wherever you put him on defense. I wrote about him last month, pointing out that versatility. He plays primarily in the slot for Alabama, and I think he is most likely to end up as a free safety in the NFL. He has 23 pass breakups over three seasons, including seven in 2022. He also has three career picks and is a good blitzer when asked to crash down. The versatility helps a lot here, and Branch should be an instant starter as a rookie.

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Thoughts on Todd McShay calling out Jaxon Smith-Njiba for not playing?

I find it gross and outside his lane.  I’m sure others will disagree.

I am not sure what exact quote you are referring to, but if its the quote that basically said that he is talked to some GM's and they are taking note that Jaxon Smith-Njiba is not playing despite being healthy, I don't mind it.   He is just reporting what he is hearing.

Plus he is getting a scholarship worth maybe 30k per year and he getting hundreds of thousands in NIL money.  I get that hamstring injuries are tricky because they reinjure so easily, so I totally get why he made the decision he made, but at the same time, if you were giving the player NIL money or you were one of his teammates, I could see why you would be annoyed.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

I am not sure what exact quote you are referring to, but if its the quote that basically said that he is talked to some GM's and they are taking note that Jaxon Smith-Njiba is not playing despite being healthy, I don't mind it.   He is just reporting what he is hearing.

Plus he is getting a scholarship worth maybe 30k per year and he getting hundreds of thousands in NIL money.  I get that hamstring injuries are tricky because they reinjure so easily, so I totally get why he made the decision he made, but at the same time, if you were giving the player NIL money or you were one of his teammates, I could see why you would be annoyed.

The media offers opinions on everything. I don’t see why this situation should be different.

You could say because he’s an amateur athlete but that is no longer the case. Guys getting paid on NIL are no longer amateurs. They are professionals.

high level collegiate ball is semi-pro football now.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to grab Porter with out 1rst and he should be right there.

I'd also love to trade back and just load up on Oline.

If this season has shown us anything, it's that our depth on O-line is not going to cut it with journeymen time and time again.  

• Like 4

I don't think Skoronski or Paris Johnson JR are still going to be on the board when we pick in the first, and they have been the only two OT prospects that I've actually liked so far.  Thus we should go BPA in the first round and hope for a blue chip faller as the best case scenario.  Even if the BPA is a seemingly redundant defender like Bresee, Myles Murphy, Isaiah Foskey, or Trenton Simpson.

Say a front six defender is the BPA and the pick:

- The team isn't going to be spending big cap money on a QB this offseason.   Not a lot of roster holes needing first round pick attention outside QB.  Maybe we take a QB in the draft if a stud falls into our lap in the first, but it seems more likely that we'll punt on QB in this draft.

- We've had success developing day 2 and 3 big DBs into good players and don't need to draft corner early to pluck a first or second year starter.  It's probably the position group that this FO is the most expert at drafting.

- Probably going to be franchise tagging Daron Payne.  Getting a long term deal with him done is going to be very difficult.

- We don't know what we have with Phidarian Mathis, but even if he pans out, he's not the prospect that someone like Bresee is.

- We don't know for sure what we have with Chase.  We might end up in a situation where we have to tag him or let him walk too, making Edge uncertain long term.

- We don't know what the future holds with Montez either.  He might cost too much money, and Murphy has the potential to be a lot better than him.  If you get Murphy, then you're getting like a top five pick pedigree faller like we did with Jonathan Allen, and you can let Montez walk.

- If Trenton Simpson is there, we should just pick him.  We wouldn't have to worry about his immediate fit since he can play in the stack and wouldn't have to come off the bench or put any of our current DLs on the bench.  He's not a true ILB type field general like Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd, more like an overhang player and hybrid rush/stack linebacker.  He is a good enough blitzer/edge rusher to play exclusively in a pressure role, but Clemson uses him in coverage and as a weakside pursuit player too.  If you're looking for a guy to fill a Micah Parsons type role, this is him.

- If it's Foskey, the fit is a little more awkward, but he still gives you high end insurance if Chase busts or Montez walks.  If they don't?  Then you've got an elite situational speed rusher like the Seahawks and Giants did during their SB windows.

This could be a moot discussion though, because it kind of feels like Bresee and Simpson are going to go back to Clemson and the top ten will get thinned out of elite junior front seven players, making sure Murphy and Wilson and maybe even Foskey don't make it far into the first.  It's more likely we'll be choosing from a group of Tuipolotu, Brian Branch, and Derick Hall in the 20s, at which point I might pass on them for one of the receivers or interior OLs.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I don't think Skoronski or Paris Johnson JR are still going to be on the board when we pick in the first, and they have been the only two OT prospects that I've actually liked so far.  Thus we should go BPA in the first round and hope for a blue chip faller as the best case scenario.  Even if the BPA is a seemingly redundant defender like Bresee, Myles Murphy, Isaiah Foskey, or Trenton Simpson.

- The team isn't going to be spending big cap money on a QB this offseason.   Not a lot of roster holes needing first round pick attention outside QB.  Maybe we take a QB in the draft if a stud falls into our lap in the first, but it seems more likely that we'll punt on QB in this draft.

- We've had success developing day 2 and 3 big DBs into good players and don't need to draft corner early to pluck a first or second year starter.  It's probably the position group that this FO is the most expert at drafting.

- Probably going to be franchise tagging Daron Payne.  Getting a long term deal with him done is going to be very difficult.

- We don't know what we have with Phidarian Mathis, but even if he pans out, he's not the prospect that someone like Bresee is.

- We don't know for sure what we have with Chase.  We might end up in a situation where we have to tag him or let him walk too, making Edge uncertain long term.

- We don't know what the future holds with Montez either.  He might cost too much money, and Murphy has the potential to be a lot better than him.  If you get Murphy, then you're getting like a top five pick pedigree faller like we did with Jonathan Allen, and you can let Montez walk.

- If Trenton Simpson is there, we should just pick him.  We wouldn't have to worry about his immediate fit since he can play in the stack and wouldn't have to come off the bench or put any of our current DLs on the bench.  He's not a true ILB type field general like Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd, more like an overhang player and hybrid rush/stack linebacker.  He is a good enough blitzer/edge rusher to play exclusively in a pressure role, but Clemson uses him in coverage and as a weakside pursuit player too.  If you're looking for a guy to fill a Micah Parsons type role, this is him.

- If it's Foskey, the fit is a little more awkward, but he still gives you high end insurance if Chase busts or Montez walks.  If they don't?  Then you've got an elite situational speed rusher like the Seahawks and Giants did during their SB windows.

This could be a moot discussion though, because it kind of feels like Bresee and Simpson are going to go back to Clemson and the top ten will get thinned out of elite junior front seven players, making sure Murphy and Wilson and maybe even Foskey don't make it far into the first.  It's more likely we'll be choosing from a group of Tuipolotu, Brian Branch, and Derick Hall in the 20s, at which point I might pass on them for one of the receivers or interior OLs.

Agree with pretty much all of this except I’m not really sold on the kid from Clemson.  Really love the kid from Arkansas who I think will actually grade out higher after pro day/combine numbers reveal themselves.  The way we’re currently structured in conjunction with the way this draft lays out, plus what we do well, we should absolutely stack the deck in the front 7 then address the ol 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

What are your thoughts on Broderick Jones from GA?

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

What are your thoughts on Broderick Jones from GA?

I'm skeptical about him.  His pedigree is really good as a former top 15 recruit nationally, but I wasn't that impressed with his play when I watched Georgia live the past month.  It boils down to that he looks small and is not physical at all.  Almost like a beefed up tight end or defensive end and the difference in size between him and Jamaree Salyer was really noticeable.  Honestly, he didn't look that much bigger than Will Anderson.  He is a really good mover but I mean you'd expect that from a super blue chip recruit who is very undersized.  I think he's a lunger who ducks his head into contact and he's soft and has no nastiness/will to finish blocks/look for work as a climber.  Similar demeanor to Jaelen Duncan where he never seeks out contact when he can go a snap without it.

I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him but he isn't the complete disaster in pass protection that Duncan has been.  He can block speed on the edge.  But I want a tone setter/leader and dominant run blocker in addition to getting a good pass protector with a first round pick.  Still, I can see him getting picked late in the first round by a team who just desperately needs an edge protector because the kid can move and he can redirect and mirror with elite quickness.

Our culture is bigger than any one position/need though.  It's important and we need to reserve first round picks for hyper aggressive players who love contact.

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm skeptical about him.  His pedigree is really good as a former top 15 recruit nationally, but I wasn't that impressed with his play when I watched Georgia live the past month.  It boils down to that he looks small and is not physical at all.  Almost like a beefed up tight end or defensive end and the difference in size between him and Jamaree Salyer was really noticeable.  Honestly, he didn't look that much bigger than Will Anderson.  He is a really good mover but I mean you'd expect that from a super blue chip recruit who is very undersized.  I think he's a lunger who ducks his head into contact and he's soft and has no nastiness/will to finish blocks/look for work as a climber.  Similar demeanor to Jaelen Duncan where he never seeks out contact when he can go a snap without it.

I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him but he isn't the complete disaster in pass protection that Duncan has been.  He can block speed on the edge.  But I want a tone setter/leader and dominant run blocker in addition to getting a good pass protector with a first round pick.  Still, I can see him getting picked late in the first round by a team who just desperately needs an edge protector because the kid can move and he can redirect and mirror with elite quickness.

Our culture is bigger than any one position/need though.  It's important and we need to reserve first round picks for hyper aggressive players who love contact.

Thanks.  Yeah, if we are intent on improving the o-line, it might be prudent for us to trade down and take multiple stabs at it with the 2nd/3rd round guys.  

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, if we are intent on improving the o-line, it might be prudent for us to trade down and take multiple stabs at it with the 2nd/3rd round guys.  

It'll be almost impossible to get value if we're trying to trade back from the low 20's. Maybe if we end up in the mid teens again, and all these pass rushers come out, but if they don't and we're picking around 21, we'll need to stay put. 

Honestly I hope they consider WR in round 1 as well. Curtis only has one more year on his deal and is likely not going to be here post Ron. If some one like Quentin Johnson some how falls to them. He'd be the perfect X WR this team IMO desperately needs. Shifts Terry and Jahan into their more natural positions.

Literally the first mock I do has QJ dropping.

image.png.cd45db87f0cdebaeaa765120b88f5898.png

Edited by Zim489

Just now, Zim489 said:

Honestly I hope they consider WR in round 1 as well. Curtis only has one more year on his deal and is likely not going to be here post Ron. If some one like Quentin Johnson some how falls to them. He'd be the perfect X WR this team IMO desperately needs. Shifts Terry and Jahan into their more natural positions 

Yeah WR is going to have some dudes in the teens-20s range this year.  I love what I've seen from Johnson watching him live, although he had a bit of a warty performance in the Big-12 championship game where I thought that lanky corner Julius Brents from K-St got in his head and made a lot of plays on him in single coverage.  You don't love seeing a big receiver like Johnson getting punked by length and physicality because it's a warning of what may come in the NFL.  Ideally you'd see him Calvin Johnsoning college players, but he doesn't have that kind of elite make up or strength.  And he gave as good as he got and made a big on Brents too, that was a battle.

Speaking of Brents, this dude is like a St-Juste clone and he's not going to be an early pick by any stretch.  He is right up our alley, and there are always DBs from less prestigious programs who are day two and three guys who would fit well into our pipeline and become good players in our secondary rotation.  That is why I'm not hell-bent on picking a corner in the first round of this class.  Also I'm not totally bought in on Kelee Ringo and I'm not sure he's actually better than a second round prospect like Devon Witherspoon.  I'm OK with getting a first round corner if he is a totally dominant leader of men type of prospect like Jaycee Horn and Ahmad Gardner, but I don't think Ringo is that kind of prospect.  My gut says the first round receivers are better than the first round OTs and CBs this year.

I know there is redundancy there, but Jordan Addison and Smith-Njigba could definitely be BPAs pick in the 20s.  Josh Downs, Kayshon Boutte, and Jalin Hyatt are all interesting too in the 20s.  Hyatt in particular would be that game-breaking outside threat who could move the safeties back.

This WR class has better top 50 prospects than almost all of the other position groups.  I like Dotson, but I wish we had gone BPA and picked Tyler Linderbaum last year.  Take special when it's on the board for you, there are Jahan Dotsons in the first round every year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Boutte

Returning FYI 

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This WR class has better top 50 prospects than almost all of the other position groups.  I like Dotson, but I wish we had gone BPA and picked Tyler Linderbaum last year.  Take special when it's on the board for you, there are Jahan Dotsons in the first round every year.

I like Dotson as a player but I hated the pick. He was my number 1 on my do not draft list for WR. I really wish they did that second trade down they talked about. I would have hated Linderbaum and he wasnt going to be an option for us as Chase was still penciled in as the starter. Wont be the case moving forward.

The staff was clearly drafting for floor and production this year as their main importance. Don't think a draft should be done that way. It just leads to overall lower ceiling teams. Which is exactly how this team got where it is. 

• Like 2

I really liked Amari Rodgers in the 2021 Draft. He was a really high ranked receiver for me.

To date… I’ve been looking like a schmuck for that take.

He’s having a great game against Dallas. Leaving Green Bay and having Davis Mills toss the pill to him may rejuvenate his career potential. I can’t believe I just typed that sentence.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2022 at 12:24 PM, Zim489 said:

Returning FYI 

I like Dotson as a player but I hated the pick. He was my number 1 on my do not draft list for WR. I really wish they did that second trade down they talked about. I would have hated Linderbaum and he wasnt going to be an option for us as Chase was still penciled in as the starter. Wont be the case moving forward.

The staff was clearly drafting for floor and production this year as their main importance. Don't think a draft should be done that way. It just leads to overall lower ceiling teams. Which is exactly how this team got where it is. 

Dotson was a dream pick for me at 42 (before the Carson trade).  I didn't really have him on the radar at all for 11.  Obviously we traded down to 16, but he likely wouldn't have been on my radar.  I honestly did not go into the year thinking WR and DT were big needs.   Given that we let Ion and Settle go I figured we were intent on resigning Payne and if we wanted them we could draft a guy like Ridgeway in the 5th round or so.   I also saw WR as a need, but not necessarily a first round need.  At 11 I wanted Kyle Hamilton and at 16 I wanted Devin Lloyd or Tyler Lindenbaum.  I saw Dotson as likely a late first rounder.   However, I think I was wrong.  I think if we had say traded back to 27 he would be long gone (either KC or Green Bay likely grabs him), but going into the draft I was thinking late first round for Dotson.  Mathias at 47 I think was a mistake.  We took a DT in the second round in a very thin IDL class.  This year is so much deeper and it would make so much more sense to take a DT this year if we were going to take one in the first or second round.  I think Mathias will fine.  He is a level below Allen and Payne and 24 I don't have much hope he'll reach that level, but I think he is a quality depth/serviceable starter.  Just don't like the pick at 47.

I think in 5 or 6 years when we look back the 2021 draft will look better than the 2022 draft.  Too much reaching in 2022.