Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ah, ya. He was an intriguing prospect. His issue was that injury didn't sound good. 

Looks like he recovered nicely. 

I thought he was undersized, injury prone and was blessed to have an incredibly talented team around him.

That's probably still all true, but in his first live action he was a monster yesterday.

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

One of my favs in that draft.  Intangibes through the roof.  Eagles accumulate draft picks and can simply add more than this team draft after draft.  I hope we get rid of the buffoon owner who seems to have no clue about the simple dynamic of more draft picks is good -- less draft picks is bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Didn't get to see him play at all but what little I've read on him it sounds like he could possibly be a sleeper?? Sounds like he has a pretty high ceiling? It's so frustrating because here we go once again in another off season and  question marks on our long term solution at QB

40 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Didn't get to see him play at all but what little I've read on him it sounds like he could possibly be a sleeper?? Sounds like he has a pretty high ceiling? It's so frustrating because here we go once again in another off season and  question marks on our long term solution at QB

His ceiling is the best QB in the league. The odds of him getting there are slim though. Think a faster Josh Allen with a tad weaker arm. Problem is that hes extremely raw. 

15 hours ago, Zim489 said:

His ceiling is the best QB in the league. The odds of him getting there are slim though. Think a faster Josh Allen with a tad weaker arm. Problem is that hes extremely raw. 

Reminds me of Malik Willis last year.  Not quite as fast as Willis and maybe tad stronger arm.  Both extremely raw.

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Flutie was a much more legitimate talent. 

I think Tebow is a more apt comparison when it comes to just being bad but the team somehow winning, but the playstyles aren't really the same. Tebow legitimately could not throw the ball at all.

Flutie was also a 4.4 peer guy with a cannon. Man, Flutie with RO offense in the NFL would’ve been amazing. With that said, Heineke being borderline competent from the pocket is something Flutie never achieved. 

22 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Bigger faster stronger than Willis with a better arm. 

He’s a legit sub 4.4 guy? Wow

46 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Bigger faster stronger than Willis with a better arm. 

Think you are underestimating just how good of a runner Willis is.  He didn't run at pro day or at the combine so no official 40 time, but he is rumored to have a 4.37 at Auburn and he clock in at over 20 mph a couple times his senior year at Liberty (though Treylon Burks did that a couple times too and only ran a 4.55 so running over 20 mph per game doesn't always equate to a fast 40 time, but usually it is going to mean you are a sub 4.5 guy).   Richardson is bigger by 3 to 4 inches (Willis is only 6'0.5) and has a stronger arm, but I think Richardson's best case scenario is straight line speed is equal to Willis and he doesn't have to quickness and change of direction of Willis.

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Athletic quarterbacks who check the prototype boxes generally rise fairly quickly. Don’t be surprised to see Richardson shoot up the boards.

IMO 8-12 range where he lands. 

Edited by Zim489

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Athletic quarterbacks who check the prototype boxes generally rise fairly quickly. Don’t be surprised to see Richardson shoot up the boards.

Usually. For funsies I decided to list some I thought qualified as late risers due to several prototypical traits/playstyles.

2022 - Malik Wills fell to the 3rd

2021 - Zach Wilson #2, Trey Lance #3 (I'd argue Wilson as his ability in college to evade pressure, throw off platform, with odd arm angles, and do it with power are prototypical of Mahomes/Rodgers that the league always tries to emulate).

2020 - Nobody fits

2019 - Murray #1

2018 - Josh Allen #7, Lamar Jackson #32 (If I recall Allen's draft stock plummeted during the season but rose again during the draft process?)

2017 - Mahomes #10

2016 - Carson Wentz #2

2015 - Nobody fits

2014 - Nobody fits

2013 - Nobody fits

2012 - RG3 #2, Wilson 3rd round (Wilson was a 1 season riser after transferring to Wisconsin, everyone thought his height made him Day 3)

2011 - Cam Newton #1 (although his last season in college was all-time great so doesn't quite qualify as fast riser)

2010 - Tim Tebow #25

So yeah, I guess we should pencil in Richardson as going higher than we all think he should.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Usually. For funsies I decided to list some I thought qualified as late risers due to several prototypical traits/playstyles.

2022 - Malik Wills fell to the 3rd

2021 - Zach Wilson #2, Trey Lance #3 (I'd argue Wilson as his ability in college to evade pressure, throw off platform, with odd arm angles, and do it with power are prototypical of Mahomes/Rodgers that the league always tries to emulate).

2020 - Nobody fits

2019 - Murray #1

2018 - Josh Allen #7, Lamar Jackson #32 (If I recall Allen's draft stock plummeted during the season but rose again during the draft process?)

2017 - Mahomes #10

2016 - Carson Wentz #2

2015 - Nobody fits

2014 - Nobody fits

2013 - Nobody fits

2012 - RG3 #2, Wilson 3rd round (Wilson was a 1 season riser after transferring to Wisconsin, everyone thought his height made him Day 3)

2011 - Cam Newton #1 (although his last season in college was all-time great so doesn't quite qualify as fast riser)

2010 - Tim Tebow #25

So yeah, I guess we should pencil in Richardson as going higher than we all think he should.

Most of these guys actually don't tick the prototype boxes, either.

Willis was 6-1 and played at Liberty.

Zach Wilson was reportedly a character concern coming in. For guys who are talented but not ultra talented that is generally a tick off the ol' prototype box. If they are ultra talented it depends on their level of character concern for flags to matter.

Trey Lance went to ND State. D1AA powerhouse for sure, but there are always questions about prospects from that level.

Josh Allen is one, yup.

Lamar Jackson's only knock was people thought he should be a receiver coming out, so he fell. Ticked the prototype boxes but many didn't think he was a QB so he really doesn't even fit the mold (although you could argue he does and the scouts were morons and I'd buy that argument).

Mahomes fits. In retrospect I'm actually surprised more people didn't see more value in him going into the draft.

Wentz fits except for the ND State thing. 

RG3 fits except for his weight. I'll concede this one though.

Russell Wilson is 5-11 as you noted, so he isn't the prototypical guy.

Newton fits.

Tim Tebow... I guess I'll concede though reluctantly. He had all the tools but not many people thought he had a chance due to his personality (not that he was a character issue just... rubbed some folks wrong) and he wasn't great as a passer.

Trevor Lawrence certainly fits the bill. He was #1 overall. But he was there to begin with.

Andrew Luck in 2012 was a prototype. He was #1 overall.  

EJ Manuel fits the bill. He went 16th and really had no business there.

Blake Bortles didn't have the wheels to fit the bill, but overall is close to prototype (missing the athletic part for this discussion) and he went third overall. 

Jameis Winston fits the bill. He went first overall. 

I realize Richardson is much more raw than some of the guys I've listed. But these prototypical QBs go quick. 

42 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Our OL is a mess. On the verge of being a complete liability. Got to add a couple of players with relatively high picks IMO. 

I'd be okay with every mid round pick going towards the OL, but I'm against OL in round 1 unless its a slam dunk franchise LT type and those don't fall to what will likely be our late teens/early 20s pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd be okay with every mid round pick going towards the OL, but I'm against OL in round 1 unless its a slam dunk franchise LT type and those don't fall to what will likely be our late teens/early 20s pick.

Where we should be picking is where the elite Centers and Guards generally go. This looks like a pretty good draft for Tackle, too, so I'd imagine a couple will be there for us as well.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

elite Centers and Guards generally go

The draft. Thats pretty much it. No positions have a higher hit rate through the draft for all pro players like interior lineman. Centers a bit higher but overall elite talent can be found along the interior line across all draft picks at close to the same rate. 

As for Tackles I have no idea where youre getting this good draft nonsense. Its pretty much universally agreed upon as being the weakest tackle draft in the last decade. 

44 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The draft. Thats pretty much it. No positions have a higher hit rate through the draft for all pro players like interior lineman. Centers a bit higher but overall elite talent can be found along the interior line across all draft picks at close to the same rate. 

As for Tackles I have no idea where youre getting this good draft nonsense. Its pretty much universally agreed upon as being the weakest tackle draft in the last decade. 

Can't you ever make a post that isn't overly antagonistic and arrogant? 

Show me all the day 1 starters at C and G who weren't highly drafted and still had success.

And the OT talk is from around here and some other places. There are plenty of solid prospects that may come out.

Edited by Koolblue13