Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 hours ago, philibusters said:

Dotson was a dream pick for me at 42 (before the Carson trade).  I didn't really have him on the radar at all for 11.  Obviously we traded down to 16, but he likely wouldn't have been on my radar.  I honestly did not go into the year thinking WR and DT were big needs.   Given that we let Ion and Settle go I figured we were intent on resigning Payne and if we wanted them we could draft a guy like Ridgeway in the 5th round or so.   I also saw WR as a need, but not necessarily a first round need.  At 11 I wanted Kyle Hamilton and at 16 I wanted Devin Lloyd or Tyler Lindenbaum.  I saw Dotson as likely a late first rounder.   However, I think I was wrong.  I think if we had say traded back to 27 he would be long gone (either KC or Green Bay likely grabs him), but going into the draft I was thinking late first round for Dotson.  Mathias at 47 I think was a mistake.  We took a DT in the second round in a very thin IDL class.  This year is so much deeper and it would make so much more sense to take a DT this year if we were going to take one in the first or second round.  I think Mathias will fine.  He is a level below Allen and Payne and 24 I don't have much hope he'll reach that level, but I think he is a quality depth/serviceable starter.  Just don't like the pick at 47.

I think in 5 or 6 years when we look back the 2021 draft will look better than the 2022 draft.  Too much reaching in 2022.

Lloyd got off to a hot start but has significantly cooled since. As I mentioned, one tenet for first round picks is to draft guys at premium positions to capture value. If Dotson becomes an above average #2 receiver, Lloyd would have to become a top 5 player at ILB to match his value

8 hours ago, method man said:

Lloyd got off to a hot start but has significantly cooled since. As I mentioned, one tenet for first round picks is to draft guys at premium positions to capture value. If Dotson becomes an above average #2 receiver, Lloyd would have to become a top 5 player at ILB to match his value

Plus, we got Robinson in that trade back (along with Howell & Turner) for a 6th rounder and Olave (we traded #120 we also got in the trade down)

15 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Olave looks like a bonified number 1. I’m still pissed we missed out on London 

You are entirely too reactionary. I wanted London as well. Dotson is a good receiver and a good get. We also landed Robinson because of the trade. A much needed piece.

I know you don’t want/aren’t asking for my advice, but sometimes I think you need to take a deep breath.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Olave looks like a bonified number 1. I’m still pissed we missed out on London 

Yep. Olave was my #1 pick and I was his biggest advocate on this board. Dude is basically a McLaurin clone. But Dotson has been real good too(hamstring injury aside but that can happen to anyone), particularly in crunch time, and the trade down netted us another quality starter. 

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. Olave was my #1 pick and I was his biggest advocate on this board. Dude is basically a McLaurin clone. But Dotson has been real good too(hamstring injury aside but that can happen to anyone), particularly in crunch time, and the trade down netted us another quality starter. 

I also wanted Olave, he was #1 on my WR wish list. I just feel like he has almost limitless potential. Awesome route runner, absurd acceleration and great speed, very reliable. I am not 100% convinced that we will look back at this trade and be 100% satifsfied in the upcoming years simply because I think Olave will be a star.

Dotson also looks like a really good player and I am happy he is on our team. He seems like a really good guy and hard worker and like someone who will be a strong (but maybe under the radar) contributor for many years in this league. But I am not 100% sure he can be a difference maker in the same way Olave might be. Jury still out on both though obviously.

I hoped and thought that Dotson wouldn't be much of a step down from Olave, but that's looking wrong unfortunately.  I'm concerned that Dotson isn't as fast as I thought he was.  There was all kinds of talk of him running low 4.3 40s at Penn State, which would make him as fast as Samuel, but have we seen that kind of speed from him in our building?

I think Dotson will be good still because his hands and concentration and body control are still so good and special, but the size and speed are a bit concerning in regards to his ultimate upside.  I'm hoping he comes in next season a lot stronger.

I wish we had taken the second trade down.  On draft day I would have taken it and used it to get Lloyd, which would have been fine.  But with some hindsight benefit, taking the second trade down and getting Linderbaum or Christian Watson was our best move.  We're sitting pretty right now if we could have snagged one of them and then had all of these extra picks to get guys like Malcolm Rodriguez or Tariq Woolen.  Still could have gotten Howell and Paul and BRob too, who were our best picks IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

You are entirely too reactionary. I wanted London as well. Dotson is a good receiver and a good get. We also landed Robinson because of the trade. A much needed piece.

I know you don’t want/aren’t asking for my advice, but sometimes I think you need to take a deep breath.

I dont know about good. I think he'll be a solid contributor through his career with pretty much zero chance of being a bust. That was my pre draft thought on him. Hes tiny and doesnt have great speed. Its good.

IMO he'll never be an elite WR and I hate not drafting guys in the first that pretty much have zero chance of being elite. Id much rather have the second trade down and taken Watson. 

I absolutely hate drafting for floor and year one contribution. Thats what this entire draft was about.

I have plethora of other issues with the robinson pick that Id rather not get into. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I was the same, like you Drake London was my guy.  But Jahan Dotson is a good get -- that trade landed them Robinson, Turner and Howell.  Very Howie Roseman -- Eagles style move which is unusual for the FO during the Dan reign of terror.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont know about good. I think he'll be a solid contributor through his career with pretty much zero chance of being a bust. That was my pre draft thought on him. Hes tiny and doesnt have great speed. Its good.

IMO he'll never be an elite WR and I hate not drafting guys in the first that pretty much have zero chance of being elite. Id much rather have the second trade down and taken Watson. 

I absolutely hate drafting for floor and year one contribution. Thats what this entire draft was about.

I have plethora of other issues with the robinson pick that Id rather not get into. 

Man, I don’t understand why every thing this team does is wrong to you. I realize they make a lot of poor decisions but this is excessive.

• Like 1

This draft is looking good for Y-TEs type based, some really intriguing prospects.  Mayer was my guy to start the season and i still love him.  i've talked about a couple of others since but the dude I am focused on at the moment is Darnell Washington.  Boy could we use a dude like that with this current offense.

While I'd love a QB upgrade.  I would be OK with doubling down on being this old school round and pound team.  12 personnel. 13 personnel.     Add to the O line and add a mountain TE type.

I watched his game against LSU.  He's a fun watch.  For a big dude he can motor down the field, and block on the 2nd level and he does it with a mean streak.  Tone setter.  More agile-looks to be a better athlete than Bates.   Run blocking, pass blocker good at both.  Played slot, played wide, they lined him like an H block on one play.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Man, I don’t understand why every thing this team does is wrong to you. I realize they make a lot of poor decisions but this is excessive.

Because I disagree with just about everything that Ron and Co do from a 10k ft view. I think they are building their team to be in playoff contention on a year to year basis instead of trying to be a SB contender on a year to year basis. In the mold of a yesteryear model that isnt conductive to modern times with people who have at best an extremely speckled past and at worst terrible at their jobs based on record history. That and they have an ass backwards team hierarchy of power that I have zero desire in continuing with our without Dan. 

Think this year and really the entirety of their tenure they have been extremely fortunate in so many regards. The 2020 season playing in the division that was on pace until the last week of the season to be the weakest in win percentage of any division in American sports history. Just about everything about this season from the terrible OOD schedule. The complete lack of QBs they have played for the second time in 2 season. The numerous lucky bounces like leading the league in enemy fumble recovery by 13% while leading the league in own fumbled recovered % at I believe 66% and Taylors drop rate vs TO worthy plays that for what ever reason never seem to lead to actual turnovers. 

I think this team is far closer to being bad than it is to being good. It still lacks high end talent Currently built to combat the run game which has little analytical backing in todays game that can be countered with ease by good OC/QB Combo. The Oline needing completely rebuilt. 

And lastely. Has absolutely zero path to any sort of Elite QB or QB prospects cementing ourselves to a 1-2 window thats built entirely on luck.

Sorry for being perceived as negative. I dont think I am. Im just calling em like I see em. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because I disagree with just about everything that Ron and Co do from a 10k ft view. I think they are building their team to be in playoff contention on a year to year basis instead of trying to be a SB contender on a year to year basis. In the mold of a yesteryear model that isnt conductive to modern times with people who have at best an extremely speckled past and at worst terrible at their jobs based on record history. That and they have an ass backwards team hierarchy of power that I have zero desire in continuing with our without Dan. 

Think this year and really the entirety of their tenure they have been extremely fortunate in so many regards. The 2020 season playing in the division that was on pace until the last week of the season to be the weakest in win percentage of any division in American sports history. Just about everything about this season from the terrible OOD schedule. The complete lack of QBs they have played for the second time in 2 season. The numerous lucky bounces like leading the league in enemy fumble recovery by 13% and Taylors drop rate vs TO worthy plays that for what ever reason never seem to lead to actual turnovers. 

I think this team is far closer to being bad than it is to being good. It still lacks high end talent Currently built to combat the run game which has little analytical backing in todays game that can be countered with ease by good OC/QB Combo. The Oline needing completely rebuilt. 

And lastely. Has absolutely zero path to any sort of Elite QB or QB prospects cementing ourselves to a 1-2 window thats built entirely on luck.

Sorry for being perceived as negative. I dont think I am. Im just calling em like I see em. 

I have some of the same concerns. But drafting Dotson and Robinson instead of Olave was a VERY 10k ft view move.

Think about it.

1) McLaurin was still a question mark. We needed a receiver. Ideally London, Wilson or Olave would have been it. I had Dotson next on the list. 

2) We needed a bell cow back. I was fine with Hall, Walker or Robinson... or Pierce.

3) We could have gotten Olave, but without the trade back we don't wind up with Turner (meh), Howell (We'll see) or Robinson (big time get for this offense).

4) Trading back allowed us a good to very good receiver, a bellcow back that can truly carry the load and potential at the QB spot and a receiving tight end. I'm meh on Turner for now, but receiving tight ends/tight ends in general take a bit longer to get up to NFL speed historically.

The moves were very big picture moves.

Was the same thing for drafting Mathis. If Payne was gone you get Mathis a year in the system to get up to speed... and he's a hell of a player. 

I agree we lack high end talent. I agree we have a tougher path to a high end QB (though I don't agree that there is no path. Trading Sweat or Young, trading back in this years draft are options to get draft capital to get up higher next year). 

I agree that the middle of the road strategy is underwhelming. 

But not everything is bad. And not everything happens in a vacuum. 

You are jaded by this team and I understand that. But take a deep breath brother. There is some good here. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1) McLaurin was still a question mark. We needed a receiver. Ideally London, Wilson or Olave would have been it. I had Dotson next on the list. 

No? At least Terry wasnt a question mark to me. I think hes a great number 2 but is often pushed around too easily in press to be a consistent number 1. The drafting of Dotson was a 10k view pick to be a guy that produces regardless this year as opposed to Olave Watson or Jamo. Dotson I thought had easily one of the best chances to be productive year one and hes been alright at it. Still has significant ceiling questions. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

2) We needed a bell cow back. I was fine with Hall, Walker or Robinson... or Pierce.

So we needed another 3rd round RB to fix the "mistake" of the previous 3rd round RB. Personally I do not like RBs really before maybe the 5th. 4th the absolute highest due to the nature of them on second contracts overwhelmingly likely to not match the production. Very rarely am I resigning RBs. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

3) We could have gotten Olave, but without the trade back we don't wind up with Turner (meh), Howell (We'll see) or Robinson (big time get for this offense).

I personally wasnt that high on Olave here. We needed size and a bonified X. I had my doubts that Olave produces there. I was happy with the trade back. Not happy with the results thus far. Turner showing nothing is not surprising but still disappointing none the less. Howell is highly unlikely to do anything just by historical average. Robinson has been pretty good, not great, but still not a fan of selection of RB early. Especially one that has pretty much zero explosiveness and wont ever be a threat. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

4) Trading back allowed us a good to very good receiver, a bellcow back that can truly carry the load and potential at the QB spot and a receiving tight end. I'm meh on Turner for now, but receiving tight ends/tight ends in general take a bit longer to get up to NFL speed historically.

Same as above. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The moves were very big picture moves.

I personally dont think youre zoomed out enough. The very big picture move of the draft was about getting guys who produce this year and for the most part that has been the case sans injuries to Dotson and Mathis. Thats the big picture. When youre talking about individual players thats not big picture.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree we lack high end talent. I agree we have a tougher path to a high end QB (though I don't agree that there is no path. Trading Sweat or Young, trading back in this years draft are options to get draft capital to get up higher next year). 

I agree that the middle of the road strategy is underwhelming. 

Glad we agree here. I disagree on trading Sweat or Young. I want to keep both of them but not all 4 Dlineman. Im starting to lean towards keeping only 2 of the 4. League is moving away from 4 down lineman. Passing is just too good and you need more athletes on the field. Not less. Right now Id lean towards Keeping just Young and Allen only.

On QB path I dont see options in the draft unless its Richardson. Maybe Lamar becomes available which I dont think is out of the realm of possibilities. I think he wants to get to FA with a good prospect of Shopping against the ravens to go back to them maximizing his money. Beyond that I just dont see it and honestly I really want no part of Ron picking a QB when hes likely out within the next 13 months regardless. If he is still in charge of the 23 offseason I am absolutely terrified of him giving up assets from a future he wont be a part of straddling the next group with the previous groups QB. That rarely works and hurray we have already submarined the staff with a significantly more difficult path to greatness. 

But if there is no path to QB were bound to just repeat this year of woeful QB play or just sign another middling option where were just wasting our time repeating the same problem of sitting in the middle not doing anything. 

Overall im just tired of the mediocrity

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But not everything is bad. And not everything happens in a vacuum. 

I dont think everything is bad. Theres been a lot to be good about. The middle of the roster right now 23-44 is arguably the best it has been in my lifetime. Theres solid depth pretty much across the board. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You are jaded by this team and I understand that. But take a deep breath brother. There is some good here. 

Theres some good but overall its not and Im worried that were only doing measures to continue not good overall. 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

No? At least Terry wasnt a question mark to me. I think hes a great number 2 but is often pushed around too easily in press to be a consistent number 1. The drafting of Dotson was a 10k view pick to be a guy that produces regardless this year as opposed to Olave Watson or Jamo. Dotson I thought had easily one of the best chances to be productive year one and hes been alright at it. Still has significant ceiling questions. 

He wasn't signed. He was a question mark. I'm not talking about his ability. And we disagree on him there, too. I think he is a high end #1.

So we needed another 3rd round RB to fix the "mistake" of the previous 3rd round RB. Personally I do not like RBs really before maybe the 5th. 4th the absolute highest due to the nature of them on second contracts overwhelmingly likely to not match the production. Very rarely am I resigning RBs. 

Need more than one.

I personally wasnt that high on Olave here. We needed size and a bonified X. I had my doubts that Olave produces there. I was happy with the trade back. Not happy with the results thus far. Turner showing nothing is not surprising but still disappointing none the less. Howell is highly unlikely to do anything just by historical average. Robinson has been pretty good, not great, but still not a fan of selection of RB early. Especially one that has pretty much zero explosiveness and wont ever be a threat. 

You're setting your expectations too high for all of these guys. No wonder you're disappointed.

I personally dont think youre zoomed out enough. The very big picture move of the draft was about getting guys who produce this year and for the most part that has been the case sans injuries to Dotson and Mathis. Thats the big picture. When youre talking about individual players thats not big picture.

I don't even know what this means. You think we didn't make good moves because you see things from 10k above yet the very idea of these guys almost all being productive sans injuries (and Dotson is still a TD machine) you say is a big picture move. You are contradicting yourself. 

Glad we agree here. I disagree on trading Sweat or Young. I want to keep both of them but not all 4 Dlineman. Im starting to lean towards keeping only 2 of the 4. League is moving away from 4 down lineman. Passing is just too good and you need more athletes on the field. Not less. Right now Id lean towards Keeping just Young and Allen only.

So... you disagree with me about Sweat but you agree with me about not keeping Sweat? Getting hard to keep up. 

On QB path I dont see options in the draft unless its Richardson. Maybe Lamar becomes available which I dont think is out of the realm of possibilities. I think he wants to get to FA with a good prospect of Shopping against the ravens to go back to them maximizing his money. Beyond that I just dont see it and honestly I really want no part of Ron picking a QB when hes likely out within the next 13 months regardless. If he is still in charge of the 23 offseason I am absolutely terrified of him giving up assets from a future he wont be a part of straddling the next group with the previous groups QB. That rarely works and hurray we have already submarined the staff with a significantly more difficult path to greatness. 

No options this year. Agreed. Our option is 24. Thinking we can get one this year is a very zoomed in point of view, Zim. I expect the constant 10k above view from you :)

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He wasn't signed. He was a question mark.

Forgotten that part but it was still a need regardless. Especially after year one disaster of Curtis

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Need more than one.

IMO a 3rd is at least a round too early if not two.

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You're setting your expectations too high for all of these guys. No wonder you're disappointed.

I expect round 1 players to competing for among the best at their positions. Its your best asset every year. It should produce the best players. Doubt Dotson will ever become close to that. 

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't even know what this means. You think we didn't make good moves because you see things from 10k above yet the very idea of these guys almost all being productive sans injuries (and Dotson is still a TD machine) you say is a big picture move. You are contradicting yourself. 

Im not contradicting myself. The 10k ft view is that they are drafting for one year players. Even if I think the guys are decent players I disagree with what they represent as a collective process. 

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So... you disagree with me about Sweat but you agree with me about not keeping Sweat? Getting hard to keep up. 

If your only move is trading Sweat or Young I wholly disagree. If you want to keep only 2 of the the DLine then I can agree with Sweat or Young. Ultimately I think 2 DTs vs 2 of the DEs is an utter mistake and an archaic roster building move. 

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No options this year. Agreed. Our option is 24. Thinking we can get one this year is a very zoomed in point of view, Zim. I expect the constant 10k above view from you :)

Hopefully the franchise can see the issue at hand and attack a way of finding the guy in 24. Manuever and set yourself up to succeed in finding one. Sitting back and hoping one will become close to your pick in 24 will ultimately do them in. For the umpteenth time. If they cant get one this year IMO they should be selling off assets to best position themselves for 24 QB class. 

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Hopefully the franchise can see the issue at hand and attack a way of finding the guy in 24. Manuever and set yourself up to succeed in finding one. Sitting back and hoping one will become close to your pick in 24 will ultimately do them in. For the umpteenth time. If they cant get one this year IMO they should be selling off assets to best position themselves for 24 QB class. 

Which is exactly why I advocate moving on from Sweat and trading him rather than letting him play one more year for us and walk away. 

18 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

Idk how you watch the game tying touchdown the other week and see anything other than a guy that is incredibly talented. He may not wow you physically but he’s just one of those guys who’s going to be great. He has 5 touchdowns his rookie season and missed like 5 games…

Im lost on this one. 

I'd add about Dotson that he has intangibles through the roof, Terry style.  I have high hopes for Dotson. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add about Dotson that he has intangibles through the roof, Terry style.  I have high hopes for Dotson. 

I've liked him since 2020 and I think he has a really high floor.  His hands/concentration for finding the ball through contact are elite and I think he'll maximize his talent and opportunities as a result.  My primary concern is about his size and speed combo limiting his ceiling.

It kind of struck me watching Davante Adams vs the Rams and Tyreek Hill vs the Chargers how important it is to have either power or speed (or preferably both) be a high end receiver.  Seeing Davante punk Jalen Ramsey drove home how reliable he is, even against top notch and highly physical man coverage.  You just have to throw the ball in front of him and the DB and he's going to get it.  Meanwhile Tyreek Hill got the crap kicked out of him by physical coverage, got the middle of the field taken away (which is where Tua's accuracy is elite), and the Dolphins couldn't move the ball at all for most of the night--but he still busted long touchdowns on the two decent opportunities he got during the game.

It's like you either need to be strong to be reliable, or fast to be opportunistic.  The big thing separating Terry and Dotson is strength--Terry has high end power for a 6' receiver and can run through physical coverage.  I knew that this was going to be a problem for Dotson from the jump, but I assumed he had high end speed and now I am concerned that he doesn't.

I'm concerned that we got caught up in the back end of a WR run and ended up drafting a WR with a low ceiling like 15+ slots too early, and passed on either the freak athlete at the position or passed on the next Jason Kelce to do it.  I had Dotson over Watson on my board, so I'm not saying I foresaw how special Watson would look as a rookie, nor would I have drafted him over Dotson if I had been in charge.  But it is already looking like a mistake to not have done so.

And another thing fueling my anxiety about reaching for Dotson is this year's first round WRs look better than him, and the draft boards have most of them ranked in our drafting range.  Addison, Smith-Njigba, and Hyatt would all comfortably grade ahead of Dotson for me, but if we take one of them than we are almost cutting bait on Dotson because he will never get the opportunities to live up to his draft slot as a permanent #3.

I wish we had just taken the second trade down and picked Linderbaum.

• Like 1

Man you are all aboard the Lind pick. The size for him was very concerning for me. The size is terrible. The arm length is terrible. The strength was terrible even more concerning when you take in the short arms. 

If we did the trade down with Steelers Id be doing Mcduffie Quay or Elam. 

Edited by Zim489

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've liked him since 2020 and I think he has a really high floor.  His hands/concentration for finding the ball through contact are elite and I think he'll maximize his talent and opportunities as a result.  My primary concern is about his size and speed combo limiting his ceiling.

It kind of struck me watching Davante Adams vs the Rams and Tyreek Hill vs the Chargers how important it is to have either power or speed (or preferably both) be a high end receiver.  Seeing Davante punk Jalen Ramsey drove home how reliable he is, even against top notch and highly physical man coverage.  You just have to throw the ball in front of him and the DB and he's going to get it.  Meanwhile Tyreek Hill got the crap kicked out of him by physical coverage, got the middle of the field taken away (which is where Tua's accuracy is elite), and the Dolphins couldn't move the ball at all for most of the night--but he still busted long touchdowns on the two decent opportunities he got during the game.

It's like you either need to be strong to be reliable, or fast to be opportunistic.  The big thing separating Terry and Dotson is strength--Terry has high end power for a 6' receiver and can run through physical coverage.  I knew that this was going to be a problem for Dotson from the jump, but I assumed he had high end speed and now I am concerned that he doesn't.

I'm concerned that we got caught up in the back end of a WR run and ended up drafting a WR with a low ceiling like 15+ slots too early, and passed on either the freak athlete at the position or passed on the next Jason Kelce to do it.  I had Dotson over Watson on my board, so I'm not saying I foresaw how special Watson would look as a rookie, nor would I have drafted him over Dotson if I had been in charge.  But it is already looking like a mistake to not have done so.

And another thing fueling my anxiety about reaching for Dotson is this year's first round WRs look better than him, and the draft boards have most of them ranked in our drafting range.  Addison, Smith-Njigba, and Hyatt would all comfortably grade ahead of Dotson for me, but if we take one of them than we are almost cutting bait on Dotson because he will never get the opportunities to live up to his draft slot as a permanent #3.

I wish we had just taken the second trade down and picked Linderbaum.

I liked Drake London, G. Wilson, Olave a lot and more so than Dotson -- especially London.  I was also one of the higher guys on Watson here. I especially liked Alec Pierce and W. Robinson among the 2nd tier guys.   There were a lot of good Wrs in this mix.  

Dotson though didn't get much love here, I recall joking to you if we are the only ones here who liked him.   I know @KDawg liked him too, and one other. 

I was one of the rare people on this draft thread high on Terry McLaurin before that draft.  Some hated on the Terry pick at the time, I spent more time defending that pick lol than any pick that I can recall.   Part of why I liked him was his intangibles were special.  I don't think every player has some inherent Rocky like drive to be great with the same level of maturity.  You talked about Terry's physicality but that wasn't what he was known for in college aside from his run blocking and special teams work.  Terry himself talked about having to work and turn that weakness into a strength and becoming a good contested catch player in the pros after that not being his thing in college.

I read about Dotson's intangibles but it came to life for me watching the Hey Rookie show from ESPN, seems like a special dude, well grounded, desire to be great.  As Doug Williams mentioned, the dude walks and talks like Terry as far as personality. And he stood out to me among the pack in that show.  I said so on this thread at the time.  Just as I said the same about Micah Parsons who was mostly crapped on this thread for having bad character -- as I said watching that show, Parsons doesn't come like a bad dude, and he seems driven as hell and the players in that show looked up to him as the clear Alpha male in that group.  Granted 5 episodes of watching a player prepare for the combine and interact with fellow players, family, etc -- isn't the be all and end all and could be misleading.  But the two players that really jumped out to me in the last two years was Parsons and ironically his close pal Dotson.

As far as a player, his magic weapon is his hands and IMO can get open including in tight space like in the red zone.  Cooley among others watching the receivers over the years believes he's special as a route runner and comes in and out of breaks very smoothly.  He's plenty fast enough albeit not elite speed.   He had a big camp, got off to a good start to the season and then got hurt.  Yeah the players who played the full season naturally have had a better season than the dude who played about half as much but that doesn't concern me. 

• Like 1