Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

Russian ex-minister says invasion of Ukraine is stalling because officials stole from military budget for 'mega-yachts in Cyprus'

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-ex-fm-kozyrev-miitary-failing-budget-spent-yachts-2022-3

So ****loads of rubles have been siphoned off for goodies elsewhere, no honor among thieves eh Pooty?

Saw something else that the Russians sitting around for six weeks waiting for the war to start (sitting around Russia which knows how to throw a ****ing winter) siphoned off a lot of the fuel from their vehicles to keep from freezing, didn't dare admit it, and that led to lots of them running out of gas

Good luck with all of that

Every missile they fire is one less they have and without access to foreign parts and chips they may not be able to make more. Essentially all they really have in abundance is artillery shells (the Russians do love their artillery) so in a "when all you have is a hammer every problem is a nail" kinda way they have to ramp up the shelling, it's all they got.

Personally I'll be surprised if this is over before Memorial Day, the Ukrainians are going to have a long hard spring.

10 minutes ago, dunfer said:

Why would we be downplaying russian loses? thats what its implying right?

Difficult to get unbiased numbers, so its really just an estimate.  I wouldn't be surprised they just did something take the average of the "official" Ukraine number (~12k at this point) and the Russian number.  (~500) Much as I support Ukraine I don't believe they are beyond juking the stats. 

I'd also be interested in what are Ukraines losses.  Things in the south and east haven't gone nearly as well, pretty sure there were some large formations which were neutralized. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

7 minutes ago, dunfer said:

Why would we be downplaying russian loses? thats what its implying right?

I don't think our intel agencies intentionally downplay their KIA. I think they're cautious, wanting verifiable deaths. The situation on the ground is what it is, the different estimates don't matter.

It is frustrating that, on the one hand, days ago the talk was how the Russian logistics were all screwed up, they don't have food or fuel and are running out of ammo, yet the reality is they're still attacking, still shelling, not giving up. So it can't be but so dire for them. I certainly hope that they run out of everything and have to surrender, it just isn't happening like that. Yet.

5 hours ago, China said:

Chernobyl Loses Power as Ukraine Calls for Cease-Fire to Fix Nuclear Plant

Russian forces disconnected the Chernobyl nuclear power plant station from Ukraine’s power grid, according to the state-run grid operator Ukrenergo, prompting concerns about the cooling of nuclear materials at the site.

“Because of military actions of Russian occupiers the nuclear power plant in Chornobyl was fully disconnected from the power grid. The nuclear station has no power supply,” Ukrenergo wrote, using the Ukrainian spelling for the nuclear power plant.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Wednesday called for a cease-fire to allow for repairs to the plant.

Click on the link for the full article

Just pointing out - it's certainly possible that the power has been cut out accidentally.  War.  Power lines.  Those kinds of things.  

Maybe they were just shelling some fleeing civilians, and missed the civilians.  

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Why didn’t we say this from the beginning???

Pretty sure I made the point in this thread that 

1)  I considered it unlikely that the Ukrainians have skilled pilots, capable of fighting Russians, sitting around wishing they had airplanes.  

2)  And that maybe if the only airplanes in the sky are Russian, might be better considering the number of untrained Ukrainians we're handing antiaircraft missiles to.  

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

What lasts longer…. Kiev resistance or Russian economy?

Read an interview recently that suggested that Russia has until June (3 months) until their country completely tanks.

With continued support from the West…. I think the Ukrainians can hold out until then.

It’s going to be really ugly all around by the end of this.

Part of me says that we need to be pushing the narrative, right now, that the sanctions will stay in place until Russia withdraws and rebuilds all the damage they've done.  

Establish the doctrine that wholesale warfare against civilians is something that actually does cost you.  

Get that narrative out there now, while the Ukrainians have the popularity that comes from being a successful underdog.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Pretty sure I made the point in this thread that 

1)  I considered it unlikely that the Ukrainians have skilled pilots, capable of fighting Russians, sitting around wishing they had airplanes.  

2)  And that maybe if the only airplanes in the sky are Russian, might be better considering the number of untrained Ukrainians we're handing antiaircraft missiles to.  

Yeah it may be that the number of planes is not the bottleneck for the Ukrainian Air Force. They may not have enough pilots, maintenance crews/equipment, armaments, etc. to fully utilize extra fighters. Maybe the Pentagon did a cost/benefit analysis and determined the risk of escalation wasn’t worth it if the fighters weren’t going to significantly improve the Air Force’s capability. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Part of me says that we need to be pushing the narrative, right now, that the sanctions will stay in place until Russia withdraws and rebuilds all the damage they've done.  

Establish the doctrine that wholesale warfare against civilians is something that actually does cost you.  

Get that narrative out there now, while the Ukrainians have the popularity that comes from being a successful underdog.  

i was wondering about rebuilding the damage, but could russia afford to rebuild? what would it cost..billions. trillions? where would they get it?

8 minutes ago, dunfer said:

i was wondering about rebuilding the damage, but could russia afford to rebuild? what would it cost..billions. trillions? where would they get it?

Germany took decades repaying EU countries. It happens.

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

And all those committing war crimes are brought to justice. 

This campaign isn’t just about stopping this invasion… but also sending a message to China.

And it should be about crippling Russia’s capacity to ever try this again. 

No sense going through all this just to kick the can down the road. 

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

This makes me wonder back to what the policy was in the US before we got involved in WWII.  I seem to recall a lot of people volunteering in Britain.   Were they active soldiers? 

For some time, the US actually had laws on the books preventing the US from doing anything about the war in Europe.  

Because the perception in the US was that WW1 was a European war that the US got sucked into, and we should just ignore Europe's problems, cause they don't affect us any.  (Unless we get involved.)  

For example, I understand that early in the war, FDR wanted to sell a bunch of surplus WW1 Navy ships to the Britts.  And Congress passed laws forbidding it, because that might make it look like we were supporting one side.  

I think I read somewhere that the Flying Tigers, the US pilots who traveled to China to fight against the Japanese, before Pearl Harbor, had to renounce their US citizenship, to do it.  (And they were supposedly reinstated, later.)

• Thanks 1

This is going to on for years. Russia will eventually have all of Ukraine; though won’t be in control. Ukrainians will fight Russia guerilla style.

Adolf Vladimir Putin will exterminate as many Ukrainians as he can.

He will never stop. The Russian people won’t overthrow him because most of them believe his lies.

The only hope is the Russian Generals realize they have to take him out and I am not sure they do that.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:27 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

This will be over quickly once Putin moves. After initial opposition from Ukrainians; they will quickly accept their fate.

Europe will not impose heavy sanctions.

22 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

This is going to on for years. Ukrainians will fight Russia guerilla style.

🤨

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10