Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheTeam980.com: U.S. military veterans share opinions on the name ‘Commanders’

TK

On 2/1/2022 at 11:26 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

As another military guy, the name Commanders does nothing for me.  But I also don’t FEEL a big military tie to it.  Maybe I should considering most of my COs were Commanders.  

Still hate the name though.

Definitely agree with you, Commanders doesn’t feel like it’s tied to the military. A commander is just someone who directs a team, which I think is one of the things that bothers me the most. You don’t have a team of Commanders, because if everyone is giving directions nobody is. The team is the important thing, the commander just gives them the tools they need to get the job done. 

We should have just stayed the Washington Football Team.

Whatever. It’s done. 

• Like 2

As a 28-year military veteran, Commanders is one of the very worse names you could name a football team.  They are not involved in direct combat.  They are managers of personnel and materiel.  They represent the coaches on the sidelines.  Commanders does not represent the players on the field. 

It's a great name for a chess team.  But a professional football team?  Never!  I truly hate the name...

...but I'll get over the name quick, fast, and in a hurry if they become consistent winners and eventual world champions.

OTOH, what would it have cost Snyder to buy the rights to Redwolves?  He's a freaking billionaire.  Why ask the fans, then name the team something that makes no sense whatsoever?  Is he that delusional about his own brilliance or does he simply hate the fan base? 

Did anyone not have the nerve to tell him that "Commanders" was a stupid idea and tell him why?  How this team has any fans at all is a mystery starting with that imbecile that looks back at me in the mirror.🙄

Edited by cakmoney61
Added two short paragraphs.
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

OTOH, what would it have cost Snyder to buy the rights to Redwolves?  He's a freaking billionaire.  

Yeah I don't understand how someone worth four billion dollars can't work something out with whoever has the trademark. Snyder spent a hundred million on a boat but can't spend that on his business? 

Anyone know how or if he obtained the trademark for Commanders? Someone must have owned it since it was being used three years ago for an AAF team.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yeah I don't understand how someone worth four billion dollars can't work something out with whoever has the trademark. Snyder spent a hundred million on a boat but can't spend that on his business? 

Anyone know how or if he obtained the trademark for Commanders? Someone must have owned it since it was being used three years ago for an AAF team.

Unlike the team, the yacht is something he actually cares about.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That line about commanders not doing the fighting themselves but sending other people to die for them cuts deep.

It seems clear to me now that the intent may have been to honor the military (I'm skeptical of even that, though, honestly), but no one from the military was consultated before hand.

It's like throwing a birthday party for someone that hates birthday parties.  😒

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That line about commanders not doing the fighting themselves but sending other people to die for them cuts deep.

It seems clear to me now that the intent may have been to honor the military (I'm skeptical of even that, though, honestly), but no one from the military was consultated before hand.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/09/politics/navy-seal-commander-dies-training-accident/index.html

I gotta take issue with "Commanders" not directly involved in fighting. Once an officer gets to a certain level this is certainly true. But many commanders fight along side the troops. The above is a bit of an extreme example but still holds true.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It seems clear to me now that the intent may have been to honor the military (I'm skeptical of even that, though, honestly), but no one from the military was consultated before hand

They didn’t workshop this with anyone 

6 or 8 of them sat in a room together for 2 years and didn’t bother involving anyone. 

why would you when your think you’re so smart you don’t need others input?

this group thinks they’re gonna build a stadium 😂 

they’ll probably design it such that you can’t fit a full sized field in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/09/politics/navy-seal-commander-dies-training-accident/index.html

I gotta take issue with "Commanders" not directly involved in fighting. Once an officer gets to a certain level this is certainly true. But many commanders fight along side the troops. The above is a bit of an extreme example but still holds true.

More then fair, thanks for the clarity.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Respectfully, this is an exception, not the general rule.

Edited by cakmoney61

7 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Respectfully, this is an exception, not the general rule.

Not really, infantry, artillery, armor commanders (Captains) are all front line leaders. As are many others, most upper level commanders started out in the trenches so to speak. I get it that once they progress they are not on the front lines but many unit commanders have lost their lives fighting. Not looking to argue the point but I just take issue that all commanders are sitting behind a desk. Just differing view points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

The whole fan involvement in the name chance was an obvious sham.  Snyder knew he was going with Commanders 2 years ago.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Not really, infantry, artillery, armor commanders (Captains) are all front line leaders. As are many others, most upper level commanders started out in the trenches so to speak. I get it that once they progress they are not on the front lines but many unit commanders have lost their lives fighting. Not looking to argue the point but I just take issue that all commanders are sitting behind a desk. Just differing view points.

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's not about being true to the real world but the feelings and impressions the name evokes. The military types interviewed for that story would be well aware of what you're saying. They're just going with what the name says to them.

13 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, it's not about being true to the real world but the feelings and impressions the name evokes. The military types interviewed for that story would be well aware of what you're saying. They're just going with what the name says to them.

This retired USAF veteran wholeheartedly agrees with them. 

Added:  The late great Teddy Pendergrass sang a song titled The Whole Town's Laughing at Me.  It just seems like the entire sports world is laughing at us again.  Dan Snyder is one of the closest things to a curse I've ever experienced.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:43 PM, cakmoney61 said:

This retired USAF veteran wholeheartedly agrees with them. 

Added:  The late great Teddy Pendergrass sang a song titled The Whole Town's Laughing at Me.  It just seems like the entire sports world is laughing at us again.  Dan Snyder is one of the closest things to a curse I've ever experienced.

All due respect, your opinion indicates a lack of understanding of how combat happens in the Army and Marine Corps. In every single combat op I was part of over about 2 years between Afghanistan and Iraq there were "commanders" involved. Sometimes they are Platoon(marines only), company, or battalion...i.e unit Commanders. Look up SFC Alwyn Cashe... you know what he was? A Bradley Commander. Every armored vehicle that crossed the border or rolled down the streets had a "Commander" on board. 

Like or dislike the name but your assertion is flat out wrong when it comes to the 2 Services largely responsible for executing ground combat. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 9:19 PM, RansomthePasserby said:

Definitely agree with you, Commanders doesn’t feel like it’s tied to the military. A commander is just someone who directs a team, which I think is one of the things that bothers me the most. You don’t have a team of Commanders, because if everyone is giving directions nobody is. The team is the important thing, the commander just gives them the tools they need to get the job done. 

We should have just stayed the Washington Football Team.

Whatever. It’s done. 

In fairness, you can make the same case for Chiefs, but I've never heard that complaint from anyone.

I liked your post, and still do, but the more I think about it, it's nitpicking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

All due respect, your opinion indicates a lack of understanding of how combat happens in the Army and Marine Corps. In every single combat op I was part of over about 2 years between Afghanistan and Iraq there were "commanders" involved. Sometimes they are Platoon(marines only), company, or battalion...i.e unit Commanders. Look up SFC Alwyn Cashe... you know what he was? A Bradley Commander. Every armored vehicle that crossed the border or rolled down the streets had a "Commander" on board. 

Like or dislike the name but your assertion is flat out wrong when it comes to the 2 Services largely responsible for executing ground combat. 

You didn't read my first sentence.  I spent 28 years in the Air Force and I am speaking from an Air Force perspective.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In fairness, you can make the same case for Chiefs, but I've never heard that complaint from anyone.

I liked your post, and still do, but the more I think about it, it's nitpicking.

It’s definitely nitpicking and I’m probably just expressing general annoyance and frustration at the whole situation

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:56 AM, KDawg said:

Battery Commanders would be a better name.

Could get a partnership with Duracell and slap an AA on the helmet. 

Duracell helmets >> matrix references to coppertops >> finally get a great qb and call him "the one" >> start calling him Neo >> but we all know that's really Keanu Reeves >> who played for the washington sentinels.  

Tea leaves read.   

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

You didn't read my first sentence.  I spent 28 years in the Air Force and I am speaking from an Air Force perspective.

Perhaps you could have included that in your post where you asserted your veterans status and stated that "Commanders" are middle managers and not involved in direct combat. Or in the following when you responded to Chris and said his example was an not the rule. 

The gentlemen who pointed out the similarity between Commanders and Chiefs sums it up pretty well for me. Another example from another sport is the LA Kings. The players in KC are the Chiefs of the football field. The players in LA are the Kings of the ice. Here in Washington they are the Commanders of the gridiron

I'm not sure which is a more foolish line of argument... commanders is a word kind of like comrade so we'll call them commies or the one that says they're all commanders and commanders don't do anything.  

On 2/4/2022 at 3:14 PM, Renegade7 said:

It's like throwing a surprise birthday party and inviting the ex without knowing they just broke up.

On the other hand, could there be a more Washington name than the Washington Committee or the Washington Pencil Pushers?

6 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Perhaps you could have included that in your post where you asserted your veterans status and stated that "Commanders" are middle managers and not involved in direct combat. Or in the following when you responded to Chris and said his example was an not the rule. 

The gentlemen who pointed out the similarity between Commanders and Chiefs sums it up pretty well for me. Another example from another sport is the LA Kings. The players in KC are the Chiefs of the football field. The players in LA are the Kings of the ice. Here in Washington they are the Commanders of the gridiron

I'm not sure which is a more foolish line of argument... commanders is a word kind of like comrade so we'll call them commies or the one that says they're all commanders and commanders don't do anything.  

I agree that, in my original post, I left out the fact that I was a retired member of the Air Force.  So I apologize for that oversight.  But in the post you quoted, I identified myself as retired USAF (United States Air Force).  

Your last paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with me, so I have no idea why you put that in.  That is not my position on USAF commanders.  They have always had my utmost respect.  My only point was that they don't participate on the field of battle, so the name "Commanders" for a professional football team doesn't resonate with me at all.

Added:  Also, I never referred to commanders as middle managers.  They all sit at the top of the food chain in their respective organizations.  I said they manage their personnel and their materiel.  How is that being a middle manager?

Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize for any confusion or offense that I caused.  I was speaking from my knowledge of the role commanders play in the Air Force and not in any other branch of the military.

Edited by cakmoney61
Added a short paragraph.