Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

7 hours ago, China said:

So I'm watching the snowboard half-pipe and I can't help but notice the huge discrepancy in what the men and women do.  The women were struggling to do 540s and 720s, barely getting any height above the lip, and yet in the qualifiers I'm seeing the men getting huge air and doing 1440s and I even saw a 1620.  I'm surprised as I don't think this large a difference between men and women is seen in some of the other events.

I had this same exact conversation with my wife last night.  Why do the men get so much higher than the women?  Why can they twist so much faster?  It's not like women can't do that because we've all seen women's gymnastics and figure skating.  It is definitely something very strange and i'm curious what the actual reason is.

My wife said maybe it's the weight but then you see Japan's #1 dude looks like he is tiny yet he gets higher than anyone else, so clearly it's not just a weight thing.

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Is she hot?

Young snow sports chick. 

yeah dude. Of course she is. 

54 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I say, let a player play.  Always happy to see someone involved in the Olympics get paid besides the amazingly corrupt IOC.

No one’s saying not to let her pay

what does picking China over USA have to do with getting paid? Our athletes get paid too…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with @tshile, the Olympics used to mean something.  I used to get excited about them but this year I can honestly say I haven't watched a second of them.  That may change here, but as I've gotten older priorities have switched around a bit.  

For someone who is not watching and does not care, you sure have strong (and very long) opinions on them. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If anything, the whole Gu stuff shows why Olympics and its  associated nationalism is an increasingly antiquated notion in a global world.  It's no longer about amateurism and no longer about nationalism.  It's a heavy dose of profiteering, tax sponsored grift, and propaganda with a pinch of athletic excellence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

If anything, the whole Gu stuff shows why Olympics and its  associated nationalism is an increasingly antiquated notion in a global world.  It's no longer about amateurism and no longer about nationalism.  It's a heavy dose of profiteering, tax sponsored grift, and propaganda with a pinch of athletic excellence.

but her claim is through her mother. 

it’s not like she was a free agent and China offered the best contract. 

i mean I disagree with her but, who am I to tell someone else where to draw their identify from… 

to me it’s as simple as - fine, then go be with China, don’t market yourself here, and I don’t want hear a damn thing about your story, go do that **** in China since that’s your identity now. 

i don’t think it calls into question the 99.9999% of the rest of it. It’s just an odd case. 

and if she didn’t win gold probably 85+% if the people complaining wouldn’t say a word about it. 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

but her claim is through her mother. 

it’s not like she was a free agent and China offered the best contract. 

i mean I disagree with her but, who am I to tell someone else where to draw their identify from… 

to me it’s as simple as - fine, then go be with China, don’t market yourself here, and I don’t want hear a damn thing about your story, go do that **** in China since that’s your identity now. 

i don’t think it calls into question the 99.9999% of the rest of it. It’s just an odd case. 

and if she didn’t win gold probably 85+% if the people complaining wouldn’t say a word about it. 🤷‍♂️ 

I meant more in the sense that it's no longer that simple to say athlete A's achievement is connected to their roots in country X.  These people are no longer a simple byproduct of one nation.  Set aside the root.  Many of the finest Olympic athletes train in countries other than the one they represent.  It's kind of silly to puff up with national pride at your country's rep when they often train at another country, coached by another nationality. (Except US, cause, you know, US rocks and we kick pinko commie asses).

59 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sure they would.  They'd be reveling in schadenfreude that she didn't win. 

So she's Dallas?  Then hell with her! 

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

I had this same exact conversation with my wife last night.  Why do the men get so much higher than the women?  Why can they twist so much faster?  It's not like women can't do that because we've all seen women's gymnastics and figure skating.  It is definitely something very strange and i'm curious what the actual reason is.

My wife said maybe it's the weight but then you see Japan's #1 dude looks like he is tiny yet he gets higher than anyone else, so clearly it's not just a weight thing.

Have you not watched men's basketball compared to women's? On average, men are just significantly stronger than women so men are far more explosive. 

Edited by Hersh

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Have you not watched men's basketball compared to women's? On average, men are just significantly stronger than women so men are far more explosive. 

Not sure wtf basketball has to do with these winter sports but okay.

Snowboarding is a lot like gymnastics or diving, except in the snow on a snowboard, and in the olympics, you can argue that women are better than men in both of those sports. 

And even if we come to the conclusion that men are better than women in those 2 sports, the gap in the differences between the two is pretty small in comparison.  

The gap between the skills in men and women in snowboarding is huge.  It's like a different sport all together.  And you even have a 16 year old boy who is far from being a strong male adult, who is light years ahead than any women in the sport.

You can even say that the freestyle jumping requires much less physicality than snowboarding since you are literally gliding down the snow until you hit the jump and do your trick, and the men in that sport are also significantly more skilled than women.  I'd say that is more comparable to diving than snowboarding since they are basically stationary until they jump. 

Edited by purbeast

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sure they would.  They'd be reveling in schadenfreude that she didn't win. 

i can’t speak for everyone else, but I’d worry she hadn’t succeeded in living her best life and despair over the failure of such a potent force for unity between our two great nations.  

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Not sure wtf basketball has to do with snowboarding but okay.

Snowboarding is a lot like gymnastics or diving, except in the snow on a snowboard, and in the olympics, you can argue that women are better than men in both of those sports. 

And even if we come to the conclusion that men are better than women in those 2 sports, the gap in the differences between the two is pretty small in comparison.  

The gap between the skills in men and women in snowboarding is huge.  It's like a different sport all together.  And you even have a 16 year old boy who is far from being a strong male adult, who is light years ahead than any women in the sport.

There is a huge gap between 99% of women and men one the elite levels of sports. That was the point of basketball. 

Size and strength make all the difference. Shaun White is 5'9 150+ lbs. Chloe Kim is 5'3 115.  Even a guy that is small like Chloe Kim is still significantly stronger than she is. In gymnastics they aren't really that close in general. Sure there are rare exceptions such as Biles on the vault or floor but even she was just the first woman to do a trick a few guys have done on vault. There is a reason gymnastics event are different for men and women aside from the vault and floor exercises. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Not sure wtf basketball has to do with these winter sports but okay.

You can even say that the freestyle jumping requires much less physicality than snowboarding since you are literally gliding down the snow until you hit the jump and do your trick, and the men in that sport are also significantly more skilled than women.  I'd say that is more comparable to diving than snowboarding since they are basically stationary until they jump. 

I'm not sure what the confusion is here.  Men are bigger, faster, stronger.  I'm not sure what it takes to grab big air on a snowboard but I'm assuming it's a combination of speed and the pump at the top of the half pipe which is almost like jumping.  If those are the only two factors at play, then men still have a decidedly bigger advantage than women.

That's the analogy to basketball.  The men's game can be played above the rim, the women's game is not.  Overall leg strength and speed are factors here.  

• Like 3

I guess I didn't word it as intended, but what I am surprised about is just how large the gap is in snowboarding and the freestyle ski jumping.  It is like a whole different sport.  Yes I know men are stronger, faster, etc.

Like on the half pipe most women didn't even look like they were getting their whole body above the lip of the half pipe.  I think the men at the worst were getting like 10+ feet above it.  Then you have them doing like 1800's easily and I think you had women barely doing 900's if even that.  

Like that is just such a significant difference.   A lot more of a difference than you see in sports like gymnastics, diving, figure skating.  

The huge gap is what is surprising, not that the men are better at it.

Edited by purbeast
clarification
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I guess I didn't word it as intended, but what I am surprised about is just how large the gap is in snowboarding and the freestyle ski jumping.  It is like a whole different sport.  Yes I know men are stronger, faster, etc.

I guess what I’m saying, is that I too noticed how big the gap was. And for a second thought “wow”

and then immediately wrote it off as women being inferior per usual

(jokes)

so yeah I share in the initial surprise. Cause it is a huge huge difference. I just quickly wrote it off as men being ‘better’ at sports as usual

• Like 1