Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I remember the situation in carolina was something weird about the franchise tag

I don't remember the exact situation, but they tagged him, then they removed the tag.  I think he refused to sign it.  Once a player signs the tag, it's binding.  

He didn't sign it, and instead of paying him, they just let him walk for nothing.  

Then he came here an underperformed his contract.

There's no question they liked him in that defense, but they also had absolutely no intension of paying him a top-5 CB contract.  My guess is they wanted him on the tag for one more year, because they were still SB contenders at that point. We signed him in 2016, so Carolina was coming off of their 15-1 SB year.   They didn't mind keeping him around short term, but I think they knew he wasn't worth the big money long term.

They were right.  

Bruce was stupid.

Neither of those things is particularly surprising.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dyst said:

I’d be okay with that if that guy didn’t have a 14-19 record. So not sure how much faith we can have in his decision making so far.

Yeah, and the guy has only three winning seasons in his last 11.

I really like the guy, think he's got character and integrity which are rare qualities in this modern world but is he a winner?

Kinda sobering when you think about it.

:sad tearful eyes emoji:

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yeah, and the guy has only three winning seasons in his last 11.

I really like the guy, think he's got character and integrity which are rare qualities in this modern world but is he a winner?

Kinda sobering when you think about it.

:sad tearful eyes emoji:

So here's how I look at it, and why I think this year is so important for Ron:

The Panthers in 2010 were 2-14, and just horrendous everywhere.  This is the year BEFORE Ron took over.

Panthers:

2011: 6-10.  Improvement of 4 games, rookie QB.  This was a good improvement, and on the right track. Rookie Cam played in some, but not all of the games.  They finished strong. 

2012: 7-9.  Slight improvement.  Cam in his second year, more pieces around, still learning how to win.

2013: 12-4.  Big improvement.  Won the NFC South for the first time in a while.  Notable because both the Saints (Brees) and Falcons (Ryan) were good teams at the time.

2014: 8-8-1.  Step back year.  Newton didn't play as well, and missed a few games due to injury.  The defense really seemed to regress, interestingly.  But they finished with a 4 game winning streak and won the division again. And they beat Arizona in the playoffs.  Which is something.  

2015: 15-1. Went to the SB.  Probably should have won it, honestly.  But the Denver defense had Cam and the offense figured out.  So even though Peyton couldn't throw the ball through a pane of glass, they won.  (That Denver defense doesn't get enough credit for how good they were.)

2016: 6-10: SB set back.  They had a bunch of injuries, lost a few players to FA and retirement.  There has always been a thing about a SB hangover.  (Except for New England.)  

2017: 11-5: After one year out of the playoffs, they were back.  That's 4 of 5 years.  That's not bad.  

2018: 7-9: Cam played a bit, but wasn't healthy.  Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen both got starts, and both of them and Garret Gilbert saw relief work.  

2019: 5-7: And then he was fired.  Cam started 2 games, but was never healthy.  Kyle Allen started 14 games, and he is what he is.  Will Grier (who?) started 2 games, though that might have been after Rivera was gone.  

Commanders:

The Redskins were 3-13 in 2019, fired their coach in-season, and were putrid just about everywhere.  This is the year BEFORE Ron took over.

2020: 7-9: Won the division.  Wouldn't have if Dak hadn't gotten hurt.  But going from 3-13 to 7-9, especially with Haskins, Kyle Allen, Alex Smith (and then Haskins again and Smith again) at QB is remarkable, even if they played a weak schedule  

2021: 7-10: Lost starting QB after 16 snaps.  Got 7 wins anyway. That's not a terrible coaching job any which way you cut it.

Bottom line: I bolded the seasons where Ron wasn't "rebuilding" and had a team capable of winning.  In those seasons, he had 4 winning seasons, and 2 losing seasons.  I even added the 2018 season in there even though Cam was REALLY beat up, really couldn't throw the ball, but he played.  So, you could say maybe they should have had a better record than 7-9 just based on that alone.  

I dropped 2011, 2012 out because you can't expect winning seasons the seasons after you take over a 2-14 team. That's unrealistic.  The only time I can remember that happening is when McVay took over from Fisher with the Rams.  McVay is probably good for +2/3 wins by himself, and Fisher is good for -5/6 wins by himself.  They added some talent, and McVay turned that team around FAST.  I think that has as much to do with Fisher being an idiot and mis-using his team as much as anything.  The 2010 Panthers did not have the talent the 2017 Rams did.  

I dropped 2019, because Cam was out, and they had Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke and Garrett Gilbert playing the majority of the games.  You can't win with that.  

I dropped 2020 and 2021 because you can't expect a winning season off of a 3-13 season (though they came remarkably close to .500, which would have been remarkable, I don't care what the schedule was.  If Smith hadn't gotten hurt, they win one more game.  Haskins (RIP) was just SO bad, it was hard to overcome.  

I dropped 2021 because when you play the entire season with your backup QB, unless you've struck gold have have Brady, Warner or Steve Young sitting on the bench, it's going to end badly.  No disrespect to TH, but he's not one of those guys.  

So, the reason I see this year as HUGE for Ron is they need to win 10-11 games minimum.  This team has the talent to compete.  It should be similar to the 2013 Panthers: they spent 2 years building, and then they take off.  Do I think they can get to 12 wins? Eh, that would be a stretch.  But they HAVE to get to 10.  I think they should get to 11.  

If they do that, I think everybody can settle down a bit and say, "yeah.  It took him 2 years to start his run in Carolina, it took 2 years to start the run in Washington, we should have 4 of the next 5 seasons in the playoffs from here."

If he does that, then we're in good shape.

If this year goes south, then that's a very bad sign. And sadly Dan's probably going to have to find another person.  I seriously don't want that to happen because I don't want Dan making any decisions.  He made what could have been a good one.  And he seems to be staying out of the way.  I don't trust him to make 2 good decisions in a row. So I desperately want Ron to succeed this year.  For that reason alone.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He made what could have been a good one.  And he seems to be staying out of the way.  I don't trust him to make 2 good decisions in a row. So I desperately want Ron to succeed this year.  For that reason alone.   

Well, if he has to make that decision again next year then the last one wasn't a good one, right?

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well, if he has to make that decision again next year then the last one wasn't a good one, right?

Eh, a good decision does t always lead the desired outcome. It’s just the best decision based on your knowledge and options at the time.

Im not sure there were many better options out there.  

McCarthy? Marvin Lewis? 

I dunno.  At the time, getting Ron was probably the best he could have done.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well, he gave Bumbling Bruce a decade and Gruden 6 years so it would be typical Doofus Dan to only give Rivera 3 years and then fire him. 

Hopefully useless Danny Boy won't be here to fire Rivera. 

Snyder out

Snyder out 

Snyder out 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well, he gave Bumbling Bruce a decade and Gruden 6 years so it would be typical Doofus Dan to only give Rivera 3 years and then fire him. 

I actually doubt he is going to fire Ron after this season unless it is a complete unmitigated disaster AND he has another plan in place before he fires Ron.  

Ge has enough to be getting on with than to fire an extremely well respected coach.  

The only 2 things I can think of, and one is bananas, would be if he could somehow get Sean Payton to come here in a “coach centric” role (which would require a trade) or, and this is the crazy one, Nick Saban, because Nick is done with the CFB system and wants to try the pros again.  

I mean, there are not a lot of good options out there who would be willing to come work for Dan.  What too-end GM would be willing to, given Dan’s track record of ignoring his football people?  

I think the full control to a coach is his only play.  So if he is firing Ron, he’s got to have a better option lined up.  I think even he knows he can’t go with a Zorn type guy. And I also think he knows if he tries to pass off Marvin Lewis that wouldn’t fly either. 

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually doubt he is going to fire Ron after this season unless it is a complete unmitigated disaster AND he has another plan in place before he fires Ron.  

Ge has enough to be getting on with than to fire an extremely well respected coach.  

The only 2 things I can think of, and one is bananas, would be if he could somehow get Sean Payton to come here in a “coach centric” role (which would require a trade) or, and this is the crazy one, Nick Saban, because Nick is done with the CFB system and wants to try the pros again.  

I mean, there are not a lot of good options out there who would be willing to come work for Dan.  What too-end GM would be willing to, given Dan’s track record of ignoring his football people?  

I think the full control to a coach is his only play.  So if he is firing Ron, he’s got to have a better option lined up.  I think even he knows he can’t go with a Zorn type guy. And I also think he knows if he tries to pass off Marvin Lewis that wouldn’t fly either. 

Here's the other thing. With all the rumors of Dan being "cash poor" is he really going to want to fire Rivera with 2 years left on his deal when Rivera is making 7 million a year? So hes going to fire Rivera and pay him 14 million. Not to mention the contracts of all of the assistants. Plus I highly doubt he keeps Hurney around at the very least so gotta pay that contract. He might would keep Mayhew. But then on top of that he likely has to pay TOP dollar to even begin to try to get someone willing to come here. That's a lot of dough to be spending for someone in Dans rumored situation. Needless to say I agree with you theres no way hes gone this year and likely not before end of contract.

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rivera is not getting fired. Even if we have an awful year, Ron isn't going anywhere. 

i think this is mostly right, but a new owner could want his own guys and we could go through what Carolina is going through now. Now, the difference between here and Carolina is that Carolana was almost entirely dependent on Cam, while Ron is building Washington right now on Carson & Howell, i guess. We'll see how that goes but the new owners may have some patience especially if he looks good this year and by good I don't mean 13 wins I mean another 8 to 9 win season 

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rivera is not getting fired. Even if we have an awful year, Ron isn't going anywhere. 

If that's the case, the only reason he wouldn't be fired, is because Dan doesn't want to pay out the $14 Million Rivera is owed for the last 2 years of his contract, NOT because Dan believes in Ron after another underwhelming season.  We're on what appears to be a shoe-string budget, so that will factor into Ron's job status more than anything else.  Make no mistake about it though, if Ron fails to win at least 8 games with this schedule this year after the Wentz gamble, that's three straight losing seasons.  He would absolutely deserve to get fired, no questions asked.  This is the NFL, if you can't get a team to over .500 in your first 3 seasons, you deserve to get canned.

Edited by samy316
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I like that Peter King doesn't like Snyder but outside of that his hate for this team is a constant and a bit boring.

But the Eagles hype seems to be everywhere.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/23/2022-nfl-power-rankings-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

9. Philadelphia (9-9, lost to Tampa Bay in the wild-card round)

I see the Eagles as the best team in the East. I see Jalen Hurts doing enough to be a C-plus quarterback, with the addition of A.J. Brown. I see the receiving corps of Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins and Zach Pascal being good enough to make the Eagles a top-10 offense. I see Haason Redick returning to the scene of his prime (he played college football at Temple) and James Bradberry fortifying a corner depth chart to make this the best defense in the NFC East.

What I like about what the Eagles have done this offseason is this: They’ve created a team with a legitimate chance of winning now, with a legitimate offense to make a judgment on Jalen Hurts as the future quarterback. GM Howie Roseman has done it while still retaining enough pieces for the future to address the quarterback position if he needs in 2023. Roseman has three picks in the first two rounds next year, and three picks in the first two rounds of 2024. He’s done his job: He’s built a team for 2022, and he’s built a team that can do a U-turn in 2023 if need be.

The Eagles are better on both sides of the ball than they were in January, and that was capped by the Bradberry signing. In the end, they have a chance to win a game in January. The biggest addition was Brown, and I think he can be the difference in two or three games. “A.J. was a DNA match with us,” Roseman told me after the trade. “He was exactly what we were looking for in a receiver, and he matched our culture.” Good add.

24. N.Y. Giants (4-13, out of the playoffs)

With a manageable schedule, and a QB-friendly head coach in Brian Daboll, and a receiving corps that at least starts camp with a chance to be impactful, and the first time in years the Giants can look at an offensive line with two high-achieving tackles (Andrew Thomas, Evan Neal), Daniel Jones actually has a chance to be the quarterback he was drafted to be in 2019. Daboll and Joe Schoen aren’t lying when they say they think Jones has a chance to be the guy for the future. While odds are against it, Jones is set up to have the best chance he’s had to be a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. If he’s that, the Giants could win seven. Amazing, isn’t it, that this franchise who snuffed out New England’s Super Bowl twice in the last 15 years hasn’t won a playoff game in a decade—and a seven-win season would get the locals fired up. 

26. Washington (7-10, out of the playoffs)

Mike Florio said this first, and I loved it: Carson Wentz is in the perfect spot for the 2022 Carson Wentz. He has no godfather in Washington. To review: Wentz entered the NFL under the fatherly wing of Doug Pederson, then went rogue against Pederson, then landed under the fatherly wing of Frank Reich, then underachieved and got fired after one season in Indy, then got traded to Washington. He’s with strangers. He’s got to prove himself to new people, and he has a decent crew of receivers (Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson, Curtis Samuel) to help prove himself. That’ll be a fun subplot for another building season in D.C.

• Haha 2

Sheehan on the radio today talked about talking to someone he knows in the organization he trusts, his takeaways

A.  They think they are a really good team, double digit win team, if judged purely on offense a 13-3 caliber team.

B.  they think the national media who is down on this team will be shocked by how good this team is but the NFL teams not so much, the national media is totally asleep on the team but not the NFL according to that source

C.  They think Wentz is loaded with weapons, among other things they do think Dyami Brown will emerge thanks to having a "real QB"

D.  They think Logan Thomas is a stud but they don't think he will be ready to start the season.  they are high on Cole Turner

E.  They like but don't love Antonio Gibson right now, among other things they don't think he had the durability to grind through a season.  They are higher on the RB room now that Robinson is in the fold.

F.  They are high on the O line and believe its  a unit that's coached up well

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

We'll see how that goes but the new owners may have some patience especially if he looks good this year and by good I don't mean 13 wins I mean another 8 to 9 win season 

8-9 wins is good with this schedule and with offensive improvements? Heineken won 7 with much less last year and a much more difficult schedule. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like that Peter King doesn't like Snyder but outside of that his hate for this team is a constant and a bit boring.

But the Eagles hype seems to be everywhere.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/23/2022-nfl-power-rankings-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

9. Philadelphia (9-9, lost to Tampa Bay in the wild-card round)

I see the Eagles as the best team in the East. I see Jalen Hurts doing enough to be a C-plus quarterback, with the addition of A.J. Brown. I see the receiving corps of Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins and Zach Pascal being good enough to make the Eagles a top-10 offense. I see Haason Redick returning to the scene of his prime (he played college football at Temple) and James Bradberry fortifying a corner depth chart to make this the best defense in the NFC East.

What I like about what the Eagles have done this offseason is this: They’ve created a team with a legitimate chance of winning now, with a legitimate offense to make a judgment on Jalen Hurts as the future quarterback. GM Howie Roseman has done it while still retaining enough pieces for the future to address the quarterback position if he needs in 2023. Roseman has three picks in the first two rounds next year, and three picks in the first two rounds of 2024. He’s done his job: He’s built a team for 2022, and he’s built a team that can do a U-turn in 2023 if need be.

The Eagles are better on both sides of the ball than they were in January, and that was capped by the Bradberry signing. In the end, they have a chance to win a game in January. The biggest addition was Brown, and I think he can be the difference in two or three games. “A.J. was a DNA match with us,” Roseman told me after the trade. “He was exactly what we were looking for in a receiver, and he matched our culture.” Good add.

24. N.Y. Giants (4-13, out of the playoffs)

With a manageable schedule, and a QB-friendly head coach in Brian Daboll, and a receiving corps that at least starts camp with a chance to be impactful, and the first time in years the Giants can look at an offensive line with two high-achieving tackles (Andrew Thomas, Evan Neal), Daniel Jones actually has a chance to be the quarterback he was drafted to be in 2019. Daboll and Joe Schoen aren’t lying when they say they think Jones has a chance to be the guy for the future. While odds are against it, Jones is set up to have the best chance he’s had to be a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. If he’s that, the Giants could win seven. Amazing, isn’t it, that this franchise who snuffed out New England’s Super Bowl twice in the last 15 years hasn’t won a playoff game in a decade—and a seven-win season would get the locals fired up. 

26. Washington (7-10, out of the playoffs)

Mike Florio said this first, and I loved it: Carson Wentz is in the perfect spot for the 2022 Carson Wentz. He has no godfather in Washington. To review: Wentz entered the NFL under the fatherly wing of Doug Pederson, then went rogue against Pederson, then landed under the fatherly wing of Frank Reich, then underachieved and got fired after one season in Indy, then got traded to Washington. He’s with strangers. He’s got to prove himself to new people, and he has a decent crew of receivers (Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson, Curtis Samuel) to help prove himself. That’ll be a fun subplot for another building season in D.C.

Peter King is a clown and has been for years. He finally lost me when he used Sean Taylor being shot as part of his reasoning for not drafting a S in the top 10. For me he lost all credibility. 

No matter what you think of Taylor H or Carson W, everyone will agree that Carson is an upgrade over Taylor. The amount of an upgrade can be debated I suppose but he is a better QB period. The schedule is the easiest schedule instead of the hardest and they added weapons on Off to help Carson be successful. Not to mention a lot of players who showed promise last year now will have an additional year in the system, especially on D and we get a key piece back in Chase Young.

Yet listening to the talking heads this team will not even approach the 7 wins from last year and is clearly the worst team in the Div. I hope all this is due to hate for Danny and they are trying to sabotage him (which I support BTW), but if they really think this way abotu the players? They are morons. I am not saying we are PO locks or even close. But seriously, we should be at least in the hunt for a PO game the last few weeks. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan on the radio today talked about talking to someone he knows in the organization he trusts, his takeaways

A.  They think they are a really good team, double digit win team, if judged purely on offense a 13-3 caliber team.

B.  they think the national media who is down on this team will be shocked by how good this team is but the NFL teams not so much, the national media is totally asleep on the team but not the NFL according to that source

C.  They think Wentz is loaded with weapons, among other things they do think Dyami Brown will emerge thanks to having a "real QB"

D.  They think Logan Thomas is a stud but they don't think he will be ready to start the season.  they are high on Cole Turner

E.  They like but don't love Antonio Gibson right now, among other things they don't think he had the durability to grind through a season.  They are higher on the RB room now that Robinson is in the fold.

It is funny to juxtapose this offseason vs last offseason. Last year media was all over this team predicting division champs etc. Meanwhile Ron was saying publicly over and over again to pump the brakes etc. This offseason has been the exact opposite in the media seems to hate this teams prospects where as Ron is telling anyone who listens that this team is ready to take a step forward.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they thought they were a 10-12 win team last year.  Then Fitz got hurt in the opener.  That, as they say, was the end of that. 

However, what I'm sure they didn't expect was the complete and total collapse of the defense.

My guess is Ron and JDR believe they know EXACTLY what went wrong, and are not going to let it go wrong again.  The question is, are they right?  But I'd be absolutely shocked if they weren't completely confident they know what the problem is, and have a plan to fix it.

Years ago, I can't remember if it was Mike or Kyle, but the 'Skins were having an issue running the ball, and one of them said something like, "we know what the problem is.  We're not going to tell you.  But we know.  And we're going to work to fix it." (Unsaid, so shut up already.)

I mean, that's hard to miss.  

I'm really interested to see how they use all the weapons.  It looks like there are somewhere around an average of 63 snaps per game.  Last year, the Ravens were #1 with 69 snaps per game.  Seattle was worst at 56. The Washington Red Commanders had an average of 63 snaps per game, which ranked 17th in the league. Basically, smack on in the middle. 

McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown, Cam Sims, Gibson, McKissic, Robinson, Logan Thomas (when he's back), Turner, Bates...

That's a lot of dudes who can touch the ball.

If they think Brown can actually contribute, then they have 4 WRs who they think can contribute, and 3 RBs, and at least 1 if not 2 TEs.  Take out a few of the rotational backup guys, that's still a lot of people to get footballs.

My hope is this significantly limits the touches Gibson gets.  I personally don't want him getting any more than 10 carries a game.  I don't want there to be more than 22 rushes per game, if they average about 63 plays per game.   Because any which way you cut it, if you run more than 22 times, you're putting a lot of plays on a few number of people.  

Which is why I'm so big on spreading the ball around and attacking the defense all over the field.  Keep them guessing on every down, is it going to be a run? Pass?  Who's getting it?  Use Gibby and McKissic at the same tine.  Throw out 4 WRs and a TE.  Samuel can carry the ball from that set as well.

There is so much they CAN do if they are creative.  Scott Turner needs to become a mad scientist and throw things at teams in waves.  

Cooley actually thought Turner could pass Thomas as a receiver, said he had that kind of skill.  I think you're going to see him right away as a big target while Logan is out.  

When he's back, I think you're going to see some 2 TE sets, but it's going to be a mis-match, because both TEs are basically big recievers.  Both the Patriots and Colts actually used to love to use 2 TE sets and get TEs matched up on LBs.

They need to help Gibby out by limiting his touches, and use him not as a power runner, but as a weapon that can take it to the house every time he gets his hands on the ball.  Get him the ball in space, let him truck a DB and then run away from folks.

It's interesting, it's like the opposite of what Norv did with Stephen Davis.  Davis was here, I was an early fan, but Terry Allen was also here.  In 1998, Terry got hurt, and Norv said, "well, with Davis' speed, we can use more outside speed runs."  

And I was like, "hey doofus, he's bigger, stronger and faster than Terry, you don't have to just run him outside."  Then in 1999, he figured it out.  

Yeah, that seems to be consistent.  They really play well up-front almost regardless of who's there.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully we manage to secure some additions on the other side of the ball. LB, DB and then some interior DL depth would be good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

It is funny to juxtapose this offseason vs last offseason. Last year media was all over this team predicting division champs etc. Meanwhile Ron was saying publicly over and over again to pump the brakes etc. This offseason has been the exact opposite in the media seems to hate this teams prospects where as Ron is telling anyone who listens that this team is ready to take a step forward.

Greenburg thought they were a SB contender.

Others did to.

The reason is because of Young and the defense, and Fitz was going to help the offense.

What very few people realized (Ron did, a lot of us did) is they benefited so much from the QBs they played, it was ridiculous. 

What we didn't realize is the defense was going to fold like a cheap suit.  

The Eagles are getting the same treatment we got last year.  The one difference, they aren't getting the same nightmare slate of QBs we did.  

But they played NOBODY down the stretch.  Sure, they've added to their defense.  So did we last year.  

It didn't work out.  

Let's see what happens.  

If the offense clicks the way they think it is going to click, this could be a really fun year.  If it doesn't, it could be a funeral march. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Eagles are getting the same treatment we got last year.  The one difference, they aren't getting the same nightmare slate of QBs we did.  

I said the same thing in a group chat the other day. Philly won one game against a team with a winning record last year and that was against the Saints who started Trevor Siemian. And honestly when you go look at their schedule from last year most of their games against teams that finished with winning records weren't even particularly close. Add in the fact that typically defenses catch up to running qbs in year two I think it could end up being a huge disappointment for Philly if Hurts cant take big step forward as a passer.

• Like 1