Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Hypothetically, if he makes the team as the returner, which WR is not active on gameday (assuming they go with 5)?  Probably Sims, unless Brown is completely unplayable.  

Sims is also a special teamer. My guess is all 6 would be active in that case but it would obviously depend on the rest of the roster. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Sounds like more of a speculation "if a deal is going to get done" rather than a statement built on inside info.

Scared me there for a min.

Jason is awful and that tweet is nothing more than speculation. Wide receivers this year have got some huge contracts so it’s going to be tough negotiations to sign Terry. Awesome … tell me more Jason!?

Also I like the Erickson signing. Guy’s a vet so I rather trust a vet over any undrafted rookie free agent and I don’t want to see Dotson playing on special teams to keep him fresh. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Sounds like more of a speculation "if a deal is going to get done" rather than a statement built on inside info.

Scared me there for a min.

JLC, I can't take seriously when it comes to Commander's news.  Just can't.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It should only be a ton of work if there is a significant issue on one side of the table, like if he doesn’t want a long term deal, if we don’t want a 20mil+ APY receiver etc.

The market value is set. He deserves better than getting the tag in 12 months too.

Mclaurin is 27 in September. I could potentially see him wanting a shorter deal to then reassess / cash in again when he’s 30.

Slightly different approach :

Give him a fully guaranteed 2 year extension for 57-63mil and add that to his 2022 3mil remaining deal. That essentially leaves him with a fully guaranteed 3 year 60-66mil deal depending on what APY you agree on. 

Add on 2 voidable years to spread the cap hit.

Secures his rights amicably for 3 seasons, let’s him hit 30 and then take a final big contract payday. Gives him options to play elsewhere if that his something he wants to do.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

It should only be a ton of work if there is a significant issue on one side of the table, like if he doesn’t want a long term deal, if we don’t want a 20mil+ APY receiver etc.

The market value is set. He deserves better than getting the tag in 12 months too.

Mclaurin is 27 in September. I could potentially see him wanting a shorter deal to then reassess / cash in again when he’s 30.

Slightly different approach :

Give him a fully guaranteed 2 year extension for 57-63mil and add that to his 2022 3mil remaining deal. That essentially leaves him with a fully guaranteed 3 year 60-66mil deal depending on what APY you agree on. 

Add on 2 voidable years to spread the cap hit.

Secures his rights amicably for 3 seasons, let’s him hit 30 and then take a final big contract payday. Gives him options to play elsewhere if that his something he wants to do.

Given our draft for need approach I can't help but think Dotson is McLaurin insurance as well as another weapon for Wentz.

I think they wanted a receiver anyways (or at least I did). But If McLaurin holds out (not likely... I don't think)... Or doesn't re-up... They have a receiver on the roster who is capable of being an excellent pro and is on a rookie contract. If he does re-up... they have a complimentary receiver who is on a rookie contract.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Given our draft for need approach I can't help but think Dotson is McLaurin insurance as well as another weapon for Wentz.

I think they wanted a receiver anyways (or at least I did). But If McLaurin holds out (not likely... I don't think)... Or doesn't re-up... They have a receiver on the roster who is capable of being an excellent pro and is on a rookie contract. If he does re-up... they have a complimentary receiver who is on a rookie contract.

Yeah generally agree although I do think there is a chance he holds outs. Can’t see him playing for 3mil.

I just hope that we haven’t let the draft pass with a a major contract ‘issue’ on the table. I’m not saying there is one, but if it transpires that we ‘knew’ strongly enough that we couldn’t get a re-up done, I’ll be disappointed we missed that high point of trade value for him when it was clear certain teams were desperately looking for help.

That said, there is still time to get something worked out. Mclaurin is a great pro and rightly deserves to be paid top WR money, now IMO. With a bit of luck the FO do it’s part.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah generally agree although I do think there is a chance he holds outs. Can’t see him playing for 3mil.

I just hope that we haven’t let the draft pass with a a major contract ‘issue’ on the table. I’m not saying there is one, but if it transpires that we ‘knew’ strongly enough that we couldn’t get a re-up done, I’ll be disappointed we missed that high point of trade value for him when it was clear certain teams were desperately looking for help.

That said, there is still time to get something worked out. Mclaurin is a great pro and rightly deserves to be paid top WR money, now IMO. With a bit of luck the FO do it’s part.

But was it the high point? That was a super deep draft at WR. Deebo was known to be available and up to now he has not been moved. It may very well be they already fielded offers for Terry but no one was offering enough. 

I believe them when they say they will get a deal worked out. Unlike the previous regime, this FO does not always have to win the deal at all costs. They signed Allen July 31st. Ron said they prefer to get these deals done more during the offseason, early to mid summer. No reason to think they will not get it done unless Terry wants silly money. If that happens you have to let him walk or trade if you can. He is a great player but you can't be held hostage. There is a point where it's too much. 

JLC was the first to tip off that Washington (Dan) wanted Haskins before the draft.  He was the first who tipped off that things aren't hot with Trent before everything fell apart.

No one is right all the time and certainly JLC doesn't break that mold but what I don't love about this is him tipping off that there were problems with Trent before the rest of the world later on chimed in.  I gather his source was Trent's agent.  I gather in this case his source is Terry's agent.

I like Rivera but I try to be balanced about him, I say what I like and what I don't like.  On the aggregate, there is much more I like about what he does than i don't and if things are sort of muddled I give him the benefit of the doubt.  In the buckett of what I don't like about him -- the #1 thing is he's too much a creature of comfort and routine.  In some aspects, I like it.  but on some aspects I don't.  And this is a case in point. 

Judging on his interviews, he seems to like to embrance sort of a linear approach to the offseason that feels neat and tidy to him.  Early on focus on FAs.  Then shift to the draft.  After the draft take some time off and before training camp do your contract extensions for in home players.  This whole approach of we will get to Terry later is probably going to cost them about 6 million a year on the cap.  Terry was projected to get about 18-19 million at the start of the off season and now he's in the 24-25 range according to the over the cap guys if I recall. 

They've done some smart things as far as slow playing FAs at times and getting players at deals.  But that same approach can also burn them, Terry being a case in point.  I don't like their one size fits all approach to contracts. 

Just because you got Jonathan Allen like Rivera likes to cite for a good deal in the summer doesn't mean Terry's situation works out just as swimmingly.  Terry plays a more premium position and put up big time stats last season.  Allen at least statistically wasn't coming off a big season at that time so i think that helped the negotation.  Terry on the other hand, i am sure his agent knows for example if Washington doesn't give Terry 25 million or so a year, some other team will, so they can try to leverage that to push a trade just like what happend with AJ Brown, T. Hill, etc. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But was it the high point? That was a super deep draft at WR. Deebo was known to be available and up to now he has not been moved. It may very well be they already fielded offers for Terry but no one was offering enough. 

I believe them when they say they will get a deal worked out. Unlike the previous regime, this FO does not always have to win the deal at all costs. They signed Allen July 31st. Ron said they prefer to get these deals done more during the offseason, early to mid summer. No reason to think they will not get it done unless Terry wants silly money. If that happens you have to let him walk or trade if you can. He is a great player but you can't be held hostage. There is a point where it's too much. 

I think it was high point with maybe a #10 pick available from the Jets say. No facts to that, all very subjective though. I would personally think we’d have got a very favourable draft pick haul for Terry. Again subjective. 

Hopefully a deal gets done. No reason to ship him out really. He’s pretty much the face of the franchise right now, from a player perspective.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes please. Think KC were heavily linked, even though that was pre draft.

Edited by Est.1974

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JLC was the first to tip off that Washington (Dan) wanted Haskins before the draft.  He was the first who tipped off that things aren't hot with Trent before everything fell apart.

No one is right all the time and certainly JLC doesn't break that mold but what I don't love about this is him tipping off that there were problems with Trent before the rest of the world later on chimed in.  I gather his source was Trent's agent.  I gather in this case his source is Terry's agent.

I like Rivera but I try to be balanced about him, I say what I like and what I don't like.  On the aggregate, there is much more I like about what he does than i don't and if things are sort of muddled I give him the benefit of the doubt.  In the buckett of what I don't like about him -- the #1 thing is he's too much a creature of comfort and routine.  In some aspects, I like it.  but on some aspects I don't.  And this is a case in point. 

Judging on his interviews, he seems to like some to embrance sort of a linear approach to the offseason that feels neat and tidy to him.  Early on focus on FAs.  Then shift to the draft.  After the draft take some time off and before training camp do your contract extensions for in home players.  This whole approach of we will get to Terry later is probably going to cost them about 6 million a year on the cap.  Terry was projected to get about 18-19 million at the start of the off season and now he's in the 24-25 range according to the over the cap guys if I recall. 

They've done some smart things as far as slow playing FAs at times and getting players at deals.  But that same approach can also burn them, Terry being a case in point.  I don't like their one size fits all approach to contracts. 

Just because you got Jonathan Allen like Rivera likes to cite for a good deal in the summer doesn't mean Terry's situation works out just as swimmingly.  Terry plays a more premium position and put up big time stats last season.  Allen at least statistically wasn't coming off a big season at that time so i think that helped the negotation.  Terry on the other hand, i am sure his agent knows for example if Washington doesn't give Terry 25 million or so a year, some other team will, so they can try to leverage that to push a trade just like what happend with AJ Brown, T. Hill, etc. 

Agreed on JLC. Thoroughly unlikeable guy but he is right very often. Certainly more credible than many of his detractors like Art from back in the day. That guy was a total Snyder lapdog

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I can't see us paying Bradberry when we already are paying Jackson and Fuller big money.    We'll sign a vet on a 1 year deal.

Exactly my take too. There are a lot of veteran names still out there who would be quality depth. My take is they want to see what they have in Holmes this weekend before potentially signing someone. They also have Corn Elder but that guy is PS depth

22 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Almost feels dirty hoping 2 Giants, Bradberry and Martinez get cut for us! :ols:

Judging by NY media on twitter, while Martinez is a fantasy here there is no indication yet that they are letting him go.  But as for Bradberry it feels like a forgone conclusion.

Martinez took a pay cut to stay in NY so i don't think he's a big cap savings move.  I am guessing at a minimum they bring Martinez to camp and let the competition play out.  I am not a big fan of McFadden.  I like Beavers, don't love him.  I guess will see what transpires there. 

If his health checks out my top guy remains.  Alexander.  i do like Martinez but want some indication that the Giants are actually considering releasing him before getting my hopes up.

2 hours ago, method man said:

Agreed on JLC. Thoroughly unlikeable guy but he is right very often. Certainly more credible than many of his detractors like Art from back in the day. That guy was a total Snyder lapdog

lol, Art was IMO entertaining but as for content I think he's the only dude in the history of the board who loves and will back to the end (including the last time i recall him posting here) Dan Snyder, Bruce Allen and Vinny Cerrato.  I recall his last push was to try to convince us it was Jay who was all in on drafting Haskins, and Dan had nothing to do with it. 

Yeah i recall him hating JLC.  JLC can be arrogant.  i'll give him though back when he was the WP beat writer, he'd respond to emails, I'd send him some asking about this and that and he's actually repond to them in detail.   He's also one of the rare American sports writers who digs the Premier League so I liked that about him.

Hopefully he's wrong about Terry.  I am guessing he's right but it might not be that ominious.  Could be just him checking in with Terry's agent and his agent told them they got miles to go to work this out.

I wonder (just a guess on my end) if this FO are shocked by the sticker price changing so much from what they thought it would be when the off season started and if so are grappiling with their part of in my mind of screwing this up some. 

I'm not sure where this Blake Martinez stuff is coming from, but he took a pay cut from the Giants last month to stay.

In terms of available CB's, I would think Kyle Fuller might want to play with his bro and Chris Harris played for Del Rio in Denver

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by NY media on twitter, while Martinez is a fantasy here there is no indication yet that they are letting him go.  But as for Bradberry it feels like a forgone conclusion.

Martinez took a pay cut to stay in NY so i don't think he's a big cap savings move.  I am guessing at a minimum they bring Martinez to camp and let the competition play out.  I am not a big fan of McFadden.  I like Beavers, don't love him.  I guess will see what transpires there. 

If his health checks out my top guy remains.  Alexander.  i do like Martinez but want some indication that the Giants are actually considering releasing him before getting my hopes up.

Like Alexander but he has a torn pec and those can be hard to heal up from.  Red flag for me.  Vet minimum. 

28 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'm not sure where this Blake Martinez stuff is coming from, but he took a pay cut from the Giants last month to stay.

In terms of available CB's, I would think Kyle Fuller might want to play with his bro and Chris Harris played for Del Rio in Denver

John Keim mentioned him the other day as a possibility. Maybe he had old info but to me that feels like he’s heard something. 

As for Bradberry… the only way I see it is if it’s a Flowers/Norwell or Moses/Leno situation and we’re cutting Fuller to bring him on. Could save $8M by cutting Fuller post June 1. Not necessarily advocating for this, because I’m not even sure that’s an upgrade. Just saying it’s the only way I see Bradberry being an option. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Like Alexander but he has a torn pec and those can be hard to heal up from.  Red flag for me.  Vet minimum. 

yep aware of it, medicals have to check out.  Orkapo came back after a torn pec twice back in the day

6 minutes ago, terpfan said:

John Keim mentioned him the other day as a possibility. Maybe he had old info but to me that feels like he’s heard something. 

As for Bradberry… the only way I see it is if it’s a Flowers/Norwell or Moses/Leno situation and we’re cutting Fuller to bring him on. Could save $8M by cutting Fuller post June 1. Not necessarily advocating for this, because I’m not even sure that’s an upgrade. Just saying it’s the only way I see Bradberry being an option. 

I haven't caught up witrh Keim's last podcast but I'll say he basically never name drops for no reason.

As for Bradberry, I'd love it if he's cheap but I don't expect him to be so I doubt he comes here. 

Looking at Brown to get a sense of Terry contract and cap hit, as I'd imagine this is a fairly close comparison.

30 million, not guaranteed in 2026, I see little change they don't cut him there (if salaries continue, maybe it looks better in 2026...??)

I see this as a 3 year 70 mill extension. Basically ~4/75 if true, 18.75 mill per year.

The year 1 hit is 5.6 million, about half on the Collins money, if they wait for June 1st for McClaurin deal, which they seem likely to do at this point.  Still have ~9 mill after Turner G signing (I'm assuming the WR is close to minimum and just knocks someone off the top 51).  

Either way, with a Terry deal, rookies signed (~3.5 mill) I think we have about 15 mill in cap space.  Likely save 5-8 for season, so probably have ~7-10 mill available.    

A.J. Brown Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

image.png.587d5b11f2941d2a59b0bdb83c9996c3.png

24 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Looking at Brown to get a sense of Terry contract and cap hit, as I'd imagine this is a fairly close comparison.

30 million, not guaranteed in 2026, I see little change they don't cut him there (if salaries continue, maybe it looks better in 2026...??)

I see this as a 3 year 70 mill extension. Basically ~4/75 if true, 18.75 mill per year.

The year 1 hit is 5.6 million, about half on the Collins money, if they wait for June 1st for McClaurin deal, which they seem likely to do at this point.  Still have ~9 mill after Turner G signing (I'm assuming the WR is close to minimum and just knocks someone off the top 51).  

Either way, with a Terry deal, rookies signed (~3.5 mill) I think we have about 15 mill in cap space.  Likely save 5-8 for season, so probably have ~7-10 mill available.    

A.J. Brown Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Howie, if he's their cap dude did a great job with the structure of Brown's contract.  They have a nice out on the last year.  Howie is one of the best if not the best in the biz!  

Edited by RWJ

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Howie, if he's their cap dude did a great job with the structure of Brown's contract.  They have a nice out on the last year.  Howie is one of the best if not the best in the biz!  

Are you looking for an internship?  Haha

• Haha 1