Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Need I really mention Josh Doctson?

Wasn't Docston the dreaded 2 #2s at WR draft?  him and the Comb Kelly 

There are absolutely "safe" WRs in the 1st. Olave will be a really good NFL receiver, its whether or not you want to take a risk with some of the other options

London = Can he get any separation at the NFL level... ton of contested catches in college, but you want your receivers to get a little open right? 

Williams = is he the same after that ACL injury 

Edited by Inigo Montoya

As for our WR's, Ross Tucker was on the radio yesterday here in Philly and he said something about the Eagles WR's that I think may hold true in Washington too:

"I think the Eagles are betting that the young WR's they have on their roster are getting better and will be much better next season after playing this season." 

I can see this in some of our young guys....one or two of them may really pop like Kam Curl did as a rookie. Maybe the staff thinks Cam Sims is ready to take the next step? Dyami Brown should be much better this coming season. 

Cam Sims is listed at 6'5, 220 lbs, is he capable of lining up as a pseudo TE in the slot? I can see Wentz really liking a big target like Sims....

13 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There are absolutely "safe" WRs in the 1st. Olave will be a really good NFL receiver, its whether or not you want to take a risk with some of the other options

London = Can he get any separation at the NFL level... ton of contested catches in college, but you want your receivers to get a little open right? 

You're a few years out with Doctson. I think that you mean Devin Thomas.

• Thumb up 3

20 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

At the end of the day this team is not good at drafting first round wide receivers, and when we do we don't know what to do with them and if they get drafted here their career dies very quickly. So yeah.. I am a little gun shy at taking a WR in the first round.

I’d say this team has not shown a great ability to draft a WR in the 2nd round either.  This draft has to be one of the worst of all time image.thumb.png.f850957db9306730b4a22e1a392251c1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Drafting a #2 should be slotted for the second or third round. You don't take a WR in the first round and slot them in a #2 role. The history of this team taking first round WRs is atrocious, the last time we had a great receiver that we picked in the first round was in 1980 (Art Monk). In 40 years we really haven't gotten a good WR from the first round.

Desmond Howard, 1992, relative bust

Michael Westbrook, 1995, never reached his potential and for where he was picked we lost on that one.

Rod Gardner, 2001, again another first round WR that we selected that never reached his potential

Need I really mention Josh Doctson?

At the end of the day this team is not good at drafting first round wide receivers, and when we do we don't know what to do with them and if they get drafted here their career dies very quickly. So yeah.. I am a little gun shy at taking a WR in the first round.

I think you're missing something very important. What do we do if we lose McLaurin? Rely on Samuel to be the #1?

Also... This is a different league. Teams have 2 #1s now.

But I suppose you're right. Waddle has no business in Miami any more. Adam Thielan is a non factor in Minn now, right? Dallas should have never drafted Lamb. The Rams didn't need Kupp and OBJ last year. The Bucs with Evans AND Godwinn? They clearly don't know what they are doing.

But by all means, keep letting history for 30 years ago effect your mental health :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

As for our WR's, Ross Tucker was on the radio yesterday here in Philly and he said something about the Eagles WR's that I think may hold true in Washington too:

"I think the Eagles are betting that the young WR's they have on their roster are getting better and will be much better next season after playing this season." 

I can see this in some of our young guys....one or two of them may really pop like Kam Curl did as a rookie. Maybe the staff thinks Cam Sims is ready to take the next step? Dyami Brown should be much better this coming season. 

Cam Sims is listed at 6'5, 220 lbs, is he capable of lining up as a pseudo TE in the slot? I can see Wentz really liking a big target like Sims....

Devonta Smith really started coming into his own toward the end of last season. Im afraid he is going to haunt us for quite a few years.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

44 minutes ago, London Kev said:

You're a few years out with Doctson. I think that you mean Devin Thomas.

Yeah, you're mixing him up with Devin. 

Doctson was, if I recall correctly, the first WR taken his draft year. I think many on the board were hoping we'd grab Ryan Kelly, the center from Bama. Don't quote me on any of this though lol. 

Edited by duffy
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, duffy said:

Doctson was, if I recall correctly, the first WR taken his draft year. I think many in3 the board were hoping we'd grab Ryan Kelly, the center from Bama. Don't quote me on any of this though lol. 

Yeah, so much trauma to organize in my brain

• Thumb up 1

People bringing up Sims and Brown. They're just guys. Largely a dime a dozen. Talented sure, but neither project to be anyone that scares the opposing D.

You need three. Yes THREE legitimate receiving threats. We have one for sure in McLaurin. MAYBE Samuel is one, we'll see. That still leaves us needing one more.

The Cowboys drafted Lamb when they had Gallup and Cooper. The Bengals drafted Chase when they had Higgins and Boyd.

We need more weapons.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

They should absolutely draft a WR in the first if they feel he is a game change with top 10 potential. No matter what bs that you hear from the FO this team is bereft of O playmakers and you need at least 2 well above average WRs on a team.

Commies only have 3 stand out playmakers:

1. Terry

2. L. Thomas (coming off a major injury)

3. Mcckissick 

When you draft a wr high in the first the expectation is that he is one of the starters. It doesn't matter if he is a #1 or #2 since corners often dont travel with best WR.

You also need multiple Wrs due to injuries and contracts. For example getting another top flight WR gives the team leverage in case Terry is hard to sign. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Devin Thomas and the te from usc. 

was it something Davis. 

Edited by sebestian
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think we all knew this but confirmation...

More from @caplannfl on a Terry McLaurin contract - "It's got to be at least $20 million...The floor is $20 million, and the agent might want $22 million." Caplan says the Christian Kirk deal changed things dramatically

11m

Just get it done damnit! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

I’d say this team has not shown a great ability to draft a WR in the 2nd round either.  This draft has to be one of the worst of all time image.thumb.png.f850957db9306730b4a22e1a392251c1.png

lord have mercy we had a ton of picks and missed on all but one. R Jackson. He at least lasted a bit. 

It’s not that complicated, we need a bonafide #2 receiver 

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

More from @caplannfl on a Terry McLaurin contract - "It's got to be at least $20 million...The floor is $20 million, and the agent might want $22 million." Caplan says the Christian Kirk deal changed things dramatically

11m
  •  

I’d say that was a fair deal. 5 year 100-110mil.

If we aren’t willing to pay that, try and trade him prior to a WR rich draft.

• Thumb up 1

11m
  •  

I think Hill's and Adams contract is more relevant now.

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Wagner had his visit to Rams but unsigned. I really think he is looking for his last huge contract and I don’t think we can afford it. 

We can afford it, it appears we are simply choosing not too. The Colts traded for Ryan and have already re-worked his deal to creat over 6mil in 2022 cap space. 

If he wants his last big contract, we should offer it to him. If he declines, fine, move on.

I love Terry, but he ain't either of those dudes. 

I agree too, which is why the conversation yesterday bounced around about the merits of trading him now for multiple draft picks. Or if you think he’s worth paying just get on and do it.

Edited by Est.1974

Agreed. But he ain't Kirk either. 🙂

And while Kirk broke the seal.... it's already been surpassed. And negotiations typically tend to be based on the top contracts for the position.

So it's more likely WFT will negotiate based on their contracts than Kirk's.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But does the league agree? They are big time in over pay mode for receivers and it can be justified that McLaurin hasn’t played with a real QB. So while he isn’t them by numbers… what if he can produce on that level with a good/great QB? 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But does the league agree? They are big time in over pay mode for receivers and it can be justified that McLaurin hasn’t played with a real QB. So while he isn’t them by numbers… what if he can produce on that level with a good/great QB? 

The rest of the league might be overpaying. We seem to be going in the opposite direction. 

Maybe we offer him 2 years 9 mil with 3 voidable years...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The rest of the league might be overpaying. We seem to be going in the opposite direction. 

Maybe we offer him 2 years 9 mil with 3 voidable years...

That’s my point. If he wants big money I could see this team moving on from him. Hopefully if they do they trade him rather than their usual franchise tag and get nothing routine.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That’s my point. If he wants big money I could see this team moving on from him. Hopefully if they do they trade him rather than their usual franchise tag and get nothing routine.

Said the same yesterday. I wouldn’t blindly advocate we trade him, but if we aren’t paying him get on with the move so that you can use this draft to backfill. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not sure this team learned anything from the Scherff timeline.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tag him. They seem to really value those compensatory 3rd round picks.

• Haha 2