Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Curtis Samuel will be on the roster regardless. We have an undisputed WR1. We have our WR4 in Brown and resigned Sims as WR5. We also have Milne, but whatever.

So a case can definitely be made that we don't have a legitimate WR2 and Samuel's is a 3/slot.

It's not perfect, which people seem to expect, but its not awful. It's certainly doable with a high floor&ceiling. 

RB we have a receiver and a former receiver that fumbles too much and has been benched repeatedly.

That's a huge hole.

TE we really only have Bates right now. Reyes could potentially be something, but he's not yet. Thomas won't be back for a while and if he's lost speed, he's done because that's pretty much all he brings. 

Thats a huge hole.

It's not like anyone is saying take WR off the table or WR should be the only thing on the table. 

LBer is a lock to be the pick at 11 or 47.

The other is going to be WR or RB most likely, with TE and DB as and outside shot. Those two positions and which ever didn't get chosen with the first two picks is probably your 4rth round flyer.

You can only do so much in one offseason. We answered our biggest question. QB, regardless of your opinion about him. There are options at the other spots.

Drake London can act as a big body receiver similar to a TE. Think Garçon. But ya. I’m in agreement with the rest. RB is a pretty big hole.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m feeling a lot better with Lucas and Johnson in house.

This team, I believe, can truly go with BPA because we can use improvements at all positions.

I'd feel better if we can get Carter back too....he filled a lot of roles last year.

• Like 1

Ok Jermaine Carter know and let’s call it a day.

Question for the board. Do you guys want a vet FA MIKE or FA SAFETY?  Hypothetically Wagner or Mathieu. Both would be great but let’s say one or the other we have to choose. 

Next question. It’s a draft question however it correlates with the FA acquisition of those positions mentioned above. 

if we can solidify one of those positions. Preferably LB  for me. Then we can take Hamilton if he is there. If not trade down you can then grab WR & S with our first to picks, and bobs your uncle. 💪💰🏈

13 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Oh please. Please lord. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Russell Wilson is a Super Bowl winning QB and a 9 time Pro Bowler. Curtis Samuels is a jag. 

I wasn’t trying to compare Samuels to Russell Wilson as a player. Each has a relative value, and they are priced accordingly. What I meant to compare is the situation that each is coming off an injury plagued season, and for some reason we are assuming Wilson will return to form but that Samuel will not. If you want to say his “form“ is he was never a number two receiver, I don’t have a problem with that argument, but we paid him and are still paying him to be one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Haven't invested .  all that much in them. And neither is a true #2.

Samuel is a weapon, but is a gadget/slot guy to be most effective.

I agree with you.  I also think we need another high-ceiling WR, probably a rookie.  

Interestingly, I think what they really want is for Logan Thomas to really be the second option behind McLaurin.  The problem with that is we don't know when he will play or how he will recover.  But the TE has always been a HUGE component of the Turner (formerly Norv, now Scott) offense. 

If you have McLaurin on one side, Maybe Cam Sims on the other, Thomas as the TE, Gibson at RB, you can then rotate in Samuel or Brown.  You're #1 target is McClaurin.  #2 is probably Thomas, gadget guy (can do a bunch of everything) is Sameul, Sims is the 3rd or 4th option.  

Personally, I like to have SPEED on the outside on both sides of the field.  Which is why I want another WR, because I don't think Cam Sims is good or fast enough to demand safety help on his side of the field.

But I really do think they believe Thomas is their #2.  Whether they are right or wrong remains to be seen.

I wonder if they think Brown can really be a true outside kindof guy.  I always thought he was more of a burner you would use from the slot, to try and match him up with 3rd CB, LB or Safety.  Rather than putting him outside and matching him up with a starting CB.  But maybe they think he can take the outside role.  He didn't do particularly well at it last year....

(And I'd draft a WR with speed and upside in the first 2 rounds if there was one they liked.  I am not a draft guy, so I have no idea who.  But assuming there is a guy, it gives you more flexibility.)

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

What about this guy. 

5. Kyzir White

2021 stats: 144 combined tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 sack, 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles

White, drafted in the fourth round by the Los Angeles Chargers in 2018, has steadily improved each season.

With career highs across the board in 2021, including seven tackles for a loss and four QB hits, White is hitting free agency at the perfect age to cash in. His 6-foot-2, 216-pound frame shouldn't scare off any teams looking for upgrades at linebacker, though it warrants mentioning he played some safety in college at West Virginia and is versatile enough to lineup pretty much anywhere.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh good lord. Looking at another panthers player?? ENOUGH ALREADY 😂😂😂 get out of your comfort shell Ron! 

I literally don't care if he brings the entire 2020 Panther backup team to the Commanders.  Who cares? They're cheap and available.  (Thanks Steve).  Also, they are depth, know the scheme, can fit right in, and hopefully they don't play a lot.

I'd have much more problem if we signed a bunch of guys to start.  We have a few of those, but not a ton. 

Shrug.  This is a "whatever" to me.

Every coach brings players they are comfortable with wherever they go.  

What we need to change this is:

- For the team to have some success on the field, get to 10 or 11 wins, and hopefully win a game in the playoffs.  That will show other players this is a place they can make money and win.  

- For the cycle of negativity around the organization to end.  I don't think this will happen, ever, as long as Snyder owns the team.  Because even if he just locked himself in his yacht and NEVER came out or spoke to anybody ever again, the local media is going to dredge him up at every opportunity.  See yesterday's complete cluster**** on sports talk radio because 980 lost the radio rights because they couldn't guarantee an FM signal for all the games.  It was complete scortched earth for no reason.

- The stadium and facilities need to be upgraded to something better than you would expect at  Jackson middle school in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

They didn't trade him to a team they feel is a threat. That was straight up robbery 5 picks yeesh. They will beat Miami using the picks they stole from them. Tua can't do what Mahomie does.

yeah not enough teams do that, they automatically decide they won't trade in conference. It's dumb IMO. There are teams you can trade with inside the conference and you can still get max value from the player you are trading.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, sebestian said:

What about this guy. 

5. Kyzir White

2021 stats: 144 combined tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 sack, 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles

White, drafted in the fourth round by the Los Angeles Chargers in 2018, has steadily improved each season.

With career highs across the board in 2021, including seven tackles for a loss and four QB hits, White is hitting free agency at the perfect age to cash in. His 6-foot-2, 216-pound frame shouldn't scare off any teams looking for upgrades at linebacker, though it warrants mentioning he played some safety in college at West Virginia and is versatile enough to lineup pretty much anywhere.

This guys seems like a no brainer. I know he is a good hitter/tacler and processes well but despite the smaller LB size, I am not certain how good he is covering. He can hold his own you would think he could fit the hybrid/buffalo

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sebestian said:

What about this guy. 

5. Kyzir White

Seems like a buffalo nickel

I'm fine with Carter as a backup and for depth. He proved last year that he is not a starter in this league, at least not yet. If they sign Carter, they still need at least one more veteran, hopefully a better one

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sebestian said:

What about this guy. 

5. Kyzir White

He was mentioned in this thread. I have a good buddy who is a Chargers fan says he’s good high motor but to me he’s a bit undersized for MLB. 

2 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

He basically missed an entire season with a groin injury. It'd be one thing if it was an ACL or something, but nope....just a groin as far as I can remember. Even Desean Jackson never managed that, and he was hurt half the time.

Now, he could very well stay healthy next year.....but he could also miss a season due to a toe or something. Depending on anything from him moving forward is not something that a good franchise would do. Worst case scenario, if they draft a WR high and Samuel actually plays,  you have a 3rd weapon in the passing game. That's not a problem, it's something that's needed anyway.

Also, with WR contracts as crazy as they are, they need to draft a couple regardless. Taking one high makes too much sense, especially when the next biggest hole, MLB.....doesn't really matter quite as much as it used to. Teams are in nickel with 2 LBs a vast majority of the time, because.....almost every team starts 3 WRs. Even counting Samuel, which they shouldn't, we still only have 2 starters there. Drafting an LB high is just gonna result in Jamin Davis riding the bench, barring injury, which may be a good thing, but its not as big of a hole as the lack of a good 3rd *really 2nd and 3rd* receiver.

Now I know people will bring up Dyami Brown, but he's best served playing a 4th wr role for right now. He can run gos and deep posts, that's about it. Still very raw.

This isn't directed solely at you, woodpecker, so don't take my bluntness as an attack. I'm just tired of reading about how people are penciling in Samuel as a good 2, without him having done anything here.

You make some good points. I think highly of Samuel and believe he can have a really good year, but after reading this, and some of the other posts on here, I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a WR early.

Hopefully there's also some news on DeAndre soon (more as a returner), and I'm a little surprised that we haven't made any moves at LB/nickel or TE yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Drafting a receiver isn't insurance for Samuel.

Samuel is a slot/gadget receiver. He's not a guy that should be on the LOS or stuck to working the sidelines. To get the most out of him he needs to be slotted. Given we don't have anyone to play the outside #2 consistently, drafting a #2 is a must. 

Drafting a #2 should be slotted for the second or third round. You don't take a WR in the first round and slot them in a #2 role. The history of this team taking first round WRs is atrocious, the last time we had a great receiver that we picked in the first round was in 1980 (Art Monk). In 40 years we really haven't gotten a good WR from the first round.

Desmond Howard, 1992, relative bust

Michael Westbrook, 1995, never reached his potential and for where he was picked we lost on that one.

Rod Gardner, 2001, again another first round WR that we selected that never reached his potential

Need I really mention Josh Doctson?

At the end of the day this team is not good at drafting first round wide receivers, and when we do we don't know what to do with them and if they get drafted here their career dies very quickly. So yeah.. I am a little gun shy at taking a WR in the first round.

• Like 1