Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Agreed, although I'd really like more Thunder and less lightening. A Big RB/Small FB kind who can be a ST, short yardage guy and lead blocker. Todays pass happy league leaves smaller LBs more vulnerable to an occasional dose of pounding the rock when necessary.  Mike Sellers (although huge) would still eat in todays NFL 

I hear you.

Here is a running back, FB really, that caught my eye.  Projected as a UDFA, and got a broken leg last year (healed now), but the more I watch him, the more I like him.  Seems to play with a real passion and even has some good pass catching and ST skills.

Zander Horvath, from Purdue.  One service said he was probably too slow to play in the NFL.  IDK, tell me what you think.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I hear you.

Here is a running back, FB really, that caught my eye.  Projected as a UDFA, and got a broken leg last year (healed now), but the more I watch him, the more I like him.  Seems to play with a real passion and even has some good pass catching and ST skills.

Reminds me a little of Mike Alstott formerly of the Bucs. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I hear you.

Zander Horvath, from Purdue.  One service said he was probably too slow to play in the NFL.  IDK, tell me what you think.

Heck, give me Jeremiah Hall. He has great hands and his presence on the field doesn't always mean run. Ultimate H-back kinda guy

9 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I hear you.

I like his game.  Really good contact balance.  I like both his directness and the subtlety of his moves.  Does a good job using his blockers in space, and has a nice stiff arm.  In terms of other NFL running backs, yeah, his speed is definitely going to be on the low end, but those other things he brings mostly make up for it IMO.  Reminds me a little of Alfred Morris - that blend of power, the little shifts in his body to throw off angles and the balance, but without the one cut and go ability and a bit less speed.  I’m curious about his short yardage game and his run/pass blocking.  Can he get 2 (consistently) when you need 1?  It’s not something that shows up highlight reels of course.  If he has that in his repertoire, and is a capable blocker, then he’s more interesting (to me) than Peyton Barber, and Peyton was a key, albeit unsexy, contributor for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

MLB for sure is #1. 

I think you forgot #2: Backup swing tackle.  Leno (I think? I can't keep him and Lucas straight) is still unsigned, and they need a good backup swing tackle.  That's probably the hardest remaining depth signing to get.  Hopefully they can re-sign Leno.  That would essentially put the OL to bed from a minimum starter perspective.  Then they could go out and get guard depth somewhere.   

DL depth and TE "something" because we don't know when Thomas will be back or what he is going to be when he gets back.

The good news is, ALL of these things can be found in the draft or reasonably easily in FA.

The one thing that I think is now going to be interesting, I think all of the absolutely QB needy teams have signed SOMEBODY except the Panthers and Seahawks.  However, Jimmy G. and now Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker are both available.  The 49ers will not trade Jimmy to the Seahawks.  I think he's going to end up staying put at this point.  

Baker has to be moved.  I think the only place that makes sense is Carolina. 

The effect of this, however, is who knows when the first QB might go off the board I just saw a mock that had no QBs taken up until our pick, and we passed on them as well.  I just find that hard to believe.  At this point, I kindof WANT Willis and Pickett to be gone before our pick so we don't feel included to take a QB.  I'd prefer to just roll with Wentz and get a LB or WR (or BPA) at #11.  

Though I do think if that happens, the Steelers might trade up.  The Falcons could still take a QB in the top 10.  The Panthers might depending on if they get Baker...

It's all very interesting.

I didn't forget swing tackle, but the question was about having a competent starter at ever position. At least, that's how I interpreted that question. MLB there is no viable starter. I'm not sure the really has two viable starting guards (Norwell yes, Schweitzer is a maybe) or a real WR2 (Samuel is a stretch IMO) or possibly another starting LB (outside of Holcomb, the only other possibility is Jamin Davis who comes with a lot of questions). So if you wanted the freedom to not feel obligated to take a position in the draft, you want to cover those holes. But depth is an issue almost everywhere, including swing tackle and the other positions you mentioned. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd rather draft one. You can always get good RBs in the middle rounds and there are a couple of studs that should be available in round 2.

I agree that the draft is the way to go. Though I'm dubious the team uses a higher pick on one. Washington NEVER invests at the RB position. You have to go back over 50 years to find the last time Washington used a first round pick on a RB. And in that same time frame, there have only been 4-5 seconds rounders total, the highest of which Reggie Brooks at #45 overall in 1993. The rest are basically late 2nd rounders. Using a mid-second on a RB is virtually unheard of in Washington. It seems almost impossible to use so little assets at one position, but Washington some how does it.

25 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I agree that the draft is the way to go. Though I'm dubious the team uses a higher pick on one. Washington NEVER invests at the RB position. You have to go back over 50 years to find the last time Washington used a first round pick on a RB. And in that same time frame, there have only been 4-5 seconds rounders total, the highest of which Reggie Brooks at #45 overall in 1993. The rest are basically late 2nd rounders. Using a mid-second on a RB is virtually unheard of in Washington. It seems almost impossible to use so little assets at one position, but Washington some how does it.

They did invest Champ Bailey in a RB...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

He quit that job over a year ago. He's not really doing anything specific these days

This is good news.

Close the damn deal Ron!

Ron needs to hop a flight down to Cocomo, sip a pina colada or three with Luke  on his beach front estate, regale him with a corny dad joke about the good old days, bash him upside his head with a coconut while he's distracted, drag him back to Snyder's waiting plane, chloroform and bind him for good measure using Dan's private stash labeled "play things", then fly him back up to Ashburn to sign a contract as the newest addition to our coaching staff while he's still groggy.

Then Ron can sit back and enjoy a hot cup of well earned joe.

After all, "Coffee is for closers."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

This is good news.

Close the damn deal Ron!

Ron needs to hop a flight down to Cocomo, sip a pina colada or three with Luke  on his beach front estate, regale him with a corny dad joke about the good old days, bash him upside his head with a coconut while he's distracted, drag him back to Snyder's waiting plane, chloroform and bind him for good measure using Dan's private stash labeled "play things", then fly him back up to Ashburn to sign a contract as the newest addition to our coaching staff while he's still groggy.

Then Ron can sit back and enjoy a hot cup of well earned joe.

After all, "Coffee is for closers."

Don't the Panther's own his rights.  We'd have to trade for him and I question if he wants to come back.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Don't the Panther's own his rights.  We'd have to trade for him and I question if he wants to come back.  

They own his rights as a player.

His playing days are apparently over due to traumatic brain and or cervical issues.

He is as far as I understand free to coach anywhere that he wants to coach.

If you're looking for a value FA at MLB, Jayon Brown is the guy. If you guys remember, he was one of the top names in a crappy off ball LB market last year. He ended up resigning with the Titans and had a bit of a down year, eventually getting benched for Zach Cunningham. They could probably get him for 1 year at $4M or less

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

They own his rights as a player.

His playing days are apparently over due to traumatic brain and or cervical issues.

He is as far as I understand free to coach anywhere that he wants to coach.

There ya go, CITR.  I was conveying that he isn't coming back due to his health issues. 

• Like 1

With height and speed, receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling is a proven deep threat. Among receivers with at least 100 receptions since the start of the 2018 season, Valdes-Scantling ranks No. 1 in the NFL with 17.5 yards per receptions – a full yard better than anyone else. In 2020, he led the NFL in yards per catch (20.9) and 40-yard receptions (six) and tied for second in 40-yard touchdowns (four).

In 2021, he caught 26 passes (matching his career low) for 430 yards (career low) because he missed six games due to injuries. Previously, he had played in all 48 career games. After dropping 15 passes in his first three seasons, he didn’t drop any in 2021.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting where our guys from last year that are sitting out there and where they are ranked, i.e. Landon Collins (#29), Lucas (#38), Flowers (#42)

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-2022-nfl-free-agents-list/

image.png.40f3bddc122ee37a39a0e56216dee67d.png

image.png.68911341648309e3bb1d47d948d18c7d.png

image.png.77d2d941a5c2abc61093dd710dadc366.png

image.png.be3e5e1587c002b6d1b38a78eafa204d.png

Lot of older pass rushers who would be up for a part time role. Those guys could use a veteran in the room who can be a steadying influence

• Like 2

Isn't Kerrigan a free agent?

I don't expect him to be an answer to any of our problems at this point but you could prob get him at Vet min at this point right? Might not even qualify against the cap under the rule of 51. Just bring him in for sentimental fun-sies. Easy pacifier for the fanbase too. 

Also, does anyone know how void years effect Comp pic generation? Like if we lose a player that had void years on his deal does that prevent a Comp pick?

Edited by FootballZombie

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Isn't Kerrigan a free agent?

I don't expect him to be an answer to any of our problems at this point but you could prob get him at Vet min at this point right? Might not even qualify against the cap under the rule of 51. Just bring him in for sentimental fun-sies. Easy pacifier for the fanbase too. 

Haha I actually looked him up yesterday to see what deal he got last year 2.5mil only. So yeah you’d think vet min now.

21 hours ago, drowland said:

By win now mode I mean they have a lot of really good players all their prime.  It's about getting in the playoff field and then anything can happen.  Wentz **** the bed.  Ballard was pissed as well as the owner because he knows the clock is ticking and wasn't going to waste their talent on Wentz or another reclamation project.

I'm fine with taking a swing on Wentz since the contract will be easy to get out of, but the guy hasn't been good in years and it seems because Ron used the Gibbs QB evaluation methodology everyone's buying what Ron's feeding you.  

That's not what Ballard just said on Pat Mcafee. You're making things up and getting played by the media narrative that was made to justify the owner's demands.

RR was absolutely correct to not repeat the same mistake twice like with Stafford last year.

Far more upside compared to negative implications with making a trade here for Wentz.  Wentz allows them to run their full offense. The only other QBs would have been Wilson as Rogers was never leaving GB (he would have retired before leaving GB).

Wentz took responsibility for his poor performance in the last two games of the season.  What he didn't say or talk about was the fact that the Colts entire roster played poorly and somehow haven't managed to win a game in Jacksonville in 7 years. In the Raiders game, Wentz brought the Colts back and their defense lost that game at the end 

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1