Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

If we signed Mathieu and Schobert (insert veteran MLB) ... it kind of solves our defensive needs outside of interior DL depth and possibly a CB. Those can be added in the 4th, 6th, and 7th rounds. Assume it means #11 is free to go to a WR. That makes the 2nd round pick interesting. Do you double down and add an MLB ... go TE? OL Depth? You presumably want your 2nd rounder starting immediately, but there aren't many directions to go where that necessarily becomes the case if those are your next FA moves.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Agreed, if a stud WR is there a 11 then take him. If it's a stud LB or safety then take one. If nothing is there that you don't love, trade back and get more picks.

I just want to point out, if there's nothing there you don't like or want to take, it's also possible there isn't another team which wants to trade UP to get what you're passing on.

The reason most trades occur is because a team covets a player at a certain position where the team who holds the pick has no need for that player. Which is one reason why trades up in the first round are often for QBs.  Not always.  And sometimes you have the funky situation like there was last year with the inter-division trade, but those are very much the exception rather than the rule.

The other things that hurts draft trades is drafts that are deep in a lot of areas, which this one appears to be, except for QB.  So other teams are not going to feel the urgency to trade up for a WR, because there are probably 2 or 3 they like, so they don't need to trade.   

So, the best chance for a trade back is if one of the top QBs falls to 11 AND the Commanders don't want to pick that player.  Say, for example their top 2 QBs are Pickett and Willis, but Corral is there, and the Commanders don't have him high enough on their board (and they are happy with Wentz for now), but Pittsburgh wants Mitch insurance, and they want to come up.

But I can absolutely see a world where the Commanders DESPERATELY WANT to trade down, but nobody wants to trade up.  Which is why I think we're picking at 11. Could be wrong on that, we won't know until the draft starts to unfold, but the odds are they will pick somebody at 11.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah that’s an odd one for me too.

We actually confirmed that deal very soon after it was announced that the Ravens got Williams. Maybe we missed out, maybe coincidence. Could be a cheap fallback pending an upgrade. Or they just like him more than most others do....

If I look at it the same way I (we) have been looking at mlb - signing a relatively cheap, but proven vet and then look to the draft - it makes a bit more sense to me.  Much like mlb, it seems there’s a pretty good group of safeties in the draft.  And if we strike out (in the draft), at least we have competence.  And of course, that added continuity in the secondary could be helpful.  He’s an underwhelming signing though to be sure.

On a separate note, I believed we signed 2 starters (Leno and McCain) in May of last year, so we’ve got a long ways to go before FA plays out.

Sounds like Schobert has some flexibility at inside and outside.  This article about him is a bit dated but relevent.

https://ramblinfan.com/2020/03/04/la-rams-kick-tires-olb-joe-schoebert/

Schobert would be a good fit in the Rams defense under new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley. Despite coming out of a 4-3 defensive alignment, he has played both outside and inside linebacker roles at the NFL level. He flourished in the NFL when he was moved to the middle of the defense. An article by FanSided Factory of Sadness writer Chad Porto confirms the belief that Schobert can transition easily to the 3-4.  With the ability to transition, the experience in the 4-3, and the versatility to play both inside and outside linebacker, Schobert could fill the Rams’ defense needs for a swiss army knife defender.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we signed Mathieu and Schobert (insert veteran MLB) ... it kind of solves our defensive needs outside of interior DL depth and possibly a CB. Those can be added in the 4th, 6th, and 7th rounds. Assume it means #11 is free to go to a WR. That makes the 2nd round pick interesting. Do you double down and add an MLB ... go TE? OL Depth? You presumably want your 2nd rounder starting immediately, but there aren't many directions to go where that necessarily becomes the case if those are your next FA moves.

This draft is so deep on the defensive side of the ball that you are most likely going to get a defensive starter in the 2nd round. I think they are going to go with a WR in the first unless one of the defensive stars fall and you can't pass on him. Other option is a trade down obviously. But as was said earlier this team needs star's. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This offense could really hum with an early-pick WR.

McLaurin

Garrett Wilson/Chris Olave

Dyami Brown

Curtis Samuel

Cam Simms

Dax Milne

With that OL ... the RBs ... could be a fun offense.

Just call us KC East.

The most feared offense east of the Mississippi!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

On a separate note, I believed we signed 2 starters (Leno and McCain) in May of last year, so we’ve got a long ways to go before FA plays out.

Yeah, patience is key.  And the one thing this group has been good at is adding quality starters in the second/third tier of FA.

One question, I don't remember the answer to this: was Leno a late cut by the Bears?  I seem to recall he was cut late, and then we snatched him up quickly.  However, I could be making that up entirely, and I'm too lazy to go back and look.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, patience is key.  And the one thing this group has been good at is adding quality starters in the second/third tier of FA.

One question, I don't remember the answer to this: was Leno a late cut by the Bears?  I seem to recall he was cut late, and then we snatched him up quickly.  However, I could be making that up entirely, and I'm too lazy to go back and look.

Leno was a surprise cut and was late in the process. I can't remember if it came before or after we dropped Moses though.

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Um…no

Um... Yes

If you're talking about Profootballtalk with Florio, it's always been a different picture to the actual post written for as long as I remember. Don't know why but it has. 

Just looked now and the picture is Aaron Donald and they are talking about Cole Beasley 

Edited by markmills67

Current Defensive Depth Chart:

DE: Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Bradly-King, Shaka Toney

DT: Allen, Payne, Wise, Bada

WLB: Holcomb, Hudson

ML: Mayo

SLB: Davis

CB: Fuller, Jackson, St. Juste, Apke, Hayden

FS: McCain, Forrest

SS: Curl, Reaves

Need a massive upgrade at MLB. Need DT depth, although the team supposedly likes Wise. CB could use some upgrades behind St. Juste as well, although DJ Hayden could stick around and has a decent pedigree. Apke is a ST guy but did get play at CB last year in some sets.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I DO think they might draft a guy, maybe early.  

I think we’ll get excellent value getting both a WR and LB in this draft through the first couple of rounds. The depth is great. I’d love that outcome. Problem is we have several other issues to fix and I really think we are serious about taking a QB before day 2 is over. Therefore lack of picks is currently an issue. 

Let’s see how we progress in FA. Will clear things up. Need a couple, maybe 3, key contributors in through the door pre draft in my opinion.

Offensive Depth Chart:

QB: Wentz, Heinecke

RB: Gibson, McKissic, Patterson, Williams

WR: McLaurin, Brown, Samuel Milne, Simms

TE: Thomas, Bates, Reyes

OT: Leno, Cosmi

OG: Norwell, Schweizer, Charles, Benzschawel

OC: Roullier, Larsen, Ismael

Need another WR at the top and need depth at OT and long-term depth at Guard

So combining those two depth charts here is our needs in order of current roster:

1. MLB

2. WR2

3. OT depth

4. CB depth

5. DT Depth

6. Safety depth

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, he was cut shortly after the draft (they’d drafted Jenkins), early May I believe.  That’s one of the great things about sitting out the first wave of FA - you’ve got a chance at guys that other teams can no longer afford (or they now have a rookie in place).  So yeah, there’s the post draft period, then June 1 cuts, then camp cuts.  Probably don’t want to bank on finding answers in that timeframe, but you can certainly find some cheap competition/depth at a minimum.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t trust Thomas to stay healthy. No basis to that. I also think his contract/age makes him a cut possibility next year. I’d be looking TE as well, even if we only add a day 3 prospects at worst.

It's a really deep draft at TE. I know this is the FA thread so I will not go into specifics beyond what I already have said, but I think that could be an option in the 2nd or 3rd if we trade back from #11 to accumulate picks.

This is all I want left. 

sign a mlb. 
draft j. Brisker S penn st 

draft c. Watkins Wr NDSU. 

my phone is dust. Hopefully when can get it charged I can see a mlb. 4 leaf clover luck.

If this happens I may smoke a cigar ad a precursor of things to come. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

This is all I want left. 

sign a mlb. 
draft j. Brisker S penn st 

draft c. Watkins Wr NDSU. 

my phone is dust. Hopefully when can get it charged I can see a mlb. 4 leaf clover luck.

If this happens I may smoke a cigar ad a precursor of things to come. 😉

Ran a mock simulator where Detroit offered 32+34 and a future 2nd for #11. With those picks I took Watson and Brisker, then hit Christian Harris at 47. You'd probably like that draft.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

From what I read here: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/2022-offseason-questions-will-steelers-be-releasing-joe-schobert/  Schobert was pretty "meh" at MLB for the Steelers. Although we dont have to have a monster stud like Wags, it would be way overdue if we were able to find that guy. I don't think Schobert is a very impressive addition.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’ll get excellent value getting both a WR and LB in this draft through the first couple of rounds. The depth is great. I’d love that outcome. Problem is we have several other issues to fix and I really think we are serious about taking a QB before day 2 is over. Therefore lack of picks is currently an issue. 

Let’s see how we progress in FA. Will clear things up. Need a couple, maybe 3, key contributors in through the door pre draft in my opinion.

I believe the 2nd round qb was attached to signing a Trubisky type.  I think they put it off until next year (though maybe they address it in Rds 6 or 7).  Obviously they have to bring someone in as a camp body (minimum), but I think their insurance (for Wentz) is now the 1st round in 2023.

Agree though that we have ample needs, are lacking the picks to address them, and so need some more answers via FA.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Ran a mock simulator where Detroit offered 32+34 and a future 2nd for #11. With those picks I took Watson and Brisker, then hit Christian Harris at 47. You'd probably like that draft.

If that happens I might have to change my pants. LOL.  

2.  Cigars and glass of 18 year glenfidict. 

Edited by sebestian

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I believe the 2nd round qb was attached to signing a Trubisky type.  I think they put it off until next year (though maybe they address it in Rds 6 or 7).  Obviously they have to bring someone in as a camp body (minimum), but I think their insurance (for Wentz) is now the 1st round in 2023.

Agree though that we have ample needs, are lacking the picks to address them, and so need some more answers via FA.

I think we draft a guy with similar skill set to Wentz and TH is history in 2023. He can’t run Turners book. Not to derail but they take a QB in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

From what I read here: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/03/2022-offseason-questions-will-steelers-be-releasing-joe-schobert/  Schobert was pretty "meh" at MLB for the Steelers. Although we dont have to have a monster stud like Wags, it would be way overdue if we were able to find that guy. I don't think Schobert is a very impressive addition.

Jermaine Carter is the under the radar LB we will get. Plus we draft a great prospect.