Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I hope we don’t blow a big contract on Honey Badger. He can still play but he’s basically a better version of Landon Collins. He’s not great in coverage but is good against the run and is a threat blitzing. I think he would be a luxury signing for us - and I don’t have much confidence we would use him correctly if we did sign him.

I hope Jsteelz is wrong on this, and someone comes in with more money and signs him.  He's not the same player.  His tackling was off last year and he's lost a little bit of step.  I hope we go in another direction.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skinsfan93 said:

Im not saying he can’t hit. I have a good buddy who is a Chargers fan and he likes him but thinks he’s replaceable with a rookie. For our MIKE I just prefer someone who is 240+ who won’t get swarmed up. 

Check out some film, he fights through the wash and lays wood.  Doesn't stand around (see Jamin Davis)

:229:The Rook

13 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

So are you saying they asked Flowers to take a pay cut? That’s different than restructuring his contract. 

I don’t know, just speculating. As I thought about this it’s actually more likely that Flowers was just asking too much on the extension talks so the team just decided to move on.

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I thought he was known to be a good coverage guy? Has he fallen off? 

He’s better than Collins but his coverage grades have been on the slide.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/26/kansas-city-chiefs-tyrann-mathieu-pro-football-focus-free-agent-rankings/

I suppose "real" NFL people and players think Honey Badger has a lot left.  Don't know about that kind of contract....

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/03/15/cowboys-marcus-spears-dream-tryann-mathieu/

On an NFL Live segment on Monday, Spears made a wish that sadly even Jerry’s checkbook can’t handle. The analyst said he wishes more than anything that Chiefs Tyrann Mathieu could be a safety for the Cowboys. Trust us, Marcus. We all wish this. But there’s just little-to-no way it actually happens given all that is going on in Dallas this offseason. The team never seems to spend big on the secondary and with a budgetarily strict year like this one, it’s likely not going to start now.

That doesn’t mean Spears’ instinct isn’t correct though. Mathieu is an excellent safety. The 3x Pro Bowler and 3x first-team All-Pro safety has made his mark on the NFL. In 2021, Mathieu had three interceptions, three fumble recoveries, and 76 tackles. It would be a dream to watch him play with Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs. But the safety’s projected market value is a massive $14.8 million per year, a number the Cowboys just can’t afford.

Edited by HigSkin

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Starting to think they may go into camp with 70 this year. 

Sam Huff?

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I suppose real NFL people and players think Honey Badger has a lot left.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/03/15/cowboys-marcus-spears-dream-tryann-mathieu/

On an NFL Live segment on Monday, Spears made a wish that sadly even Jerry’s checkbook can’t handle. The analyst said he wishes more than anything that Chiefs Tyrann Mathieu could be a safety for the Cowboys. Trust us, Marcus. We all wish this. But there’s just little-to-no way it actually happens given all that is going on in Dallas this offseason. The team never seems to spend big on the secondary and with a budgetarily strict year like this one, it’s likely not going to start now.

That doesn’t mean Spears’ instinct isn’t correct though. Mathieu is an excellent safety. The 3x Pro Bowler and 3x first-team All-Pro safety has made his mark on the NFL. In 2021, Mathieu had three interceptions, three fumble recoveries, and 76 tackles. It would be a dream to watch him play with Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs. But the safety’s projected market value is a massive $14.8 million per year, a number the Cowboys just can’t afford.

Marcus Spears has no clue about football. The folks on ES are the real experts! Take your crazy talk elsewhere! 😜

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, moondog said:

I think it was the dolphins but you’re right. Could be a maturity issue or something. But he wanted to come back here and given he hadn’t played for Rivera I have to think the oline vouched for him. Oh well. It’s done now but all of a sudden there is a huge gap on dline and oline depth. 

this is my concern. I’m not all that interested in getting into the weeds of individual contracts while there’s a larger issue.  We’ve weakened both lines.  Lost rotation players on the Dl and both starting guards on the OLine.  How does this make the team better?  Seems extremely unlikely either unit is better next year after these moves. 

I really hope I don’t see a splashy signing at safety, after this.  I’d hate to get significantly worse along the both lines and have to pretend getting better at safety makes up for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I jus wish I knew what problem they saw with Flowers the player or the contract.

Didn't Flowers only miss one game last year and it was due to COVID?  He was very much a rock in an ocean of Flux last year.

This gamble makes me uncomfortable at best, I get giving them a chance, but haven't we seen them walk into seasons with patch work olines before and seen it backfire, too? That's different then the oline becoming patchwork during the season.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised we haven't resigned Lucas yet.  We jus talked yesterday about being optimistic while realistic, I want this to work while still having door open for constructive criticism and yea, some venting as well.

Very fair.

As for Flowers, he had a 10M cap number. It’s not a red alert emergency number you have to dump in every circumstance, but when they couldn’t come to terms on an extension they were comfortable with (they tried), why not pursue such an extension with another player who will be here longer than a year (with a year 1 cap number lower than 10M no doubt)? That’s what I assume they want 

Edited by Conn

1 hour ago, skeenzfan said:

So you let a younger player who was durable and played well go to sign older players that played for you in CAR? Makes no sense. He should have been a candidate for an extension. 

He was, they couldn’t agree on one, wasn’t that reported earlier today? That’s why he was released.

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'd much rather sign Wagner than Mathieu.

Could not agree more their are a ton of great safety prospects in this draft. We cant get Hamilton, but with a trade down D. Hill or J. Brisker can be had and they both look solid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Could not agree more their are a ton of great safety prospects in this draft. We cant get Hamilton, but with a trade down D. Hill or J. Brisker can be had and they both look solid.

Yes Sir.  I was hoping we'd use the draft to get one too.  Hamilton will fall before we get a chance to draft him but Brisker I think would be there in the 2nd when we pick and might be the better of the two. He hits like a brick!  

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Curious about this Mathieu rumor...makes me wonder...did we do a reverse McKissic on McCain?

I wouldn't think so.  We needed them both back.  I thinkthe Mathieu rumor is just that too.  A rumor.  

Edited by RWJ