Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The good news is the post June money takes care of the in-season stuff.

Of the 4 things I can see them spending big on, I think 3 of them don’t make sense (from the context of weakening our oline/dline)

1.  Wagner - he’s a stud, but he’s older and the draft has a lot of options.  Signing a talented short term guy like Vander Esch to pair with a rookie makes so much more sense to me.

2.  Signing a higher priced receiver - that’s massive dollars for 3 receivers (assuming we extend Terry) and comes with weakening the trenches.

3.  Signing the Honeybadger.  We’d waste the money on McCain, and strengthening the back end by weakening the trenches… I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The issue is if they wanted to make big moves why didn’t they do it days ago when everyone was still on the board 

Is that the issue? Or is that just what you would have done? Obviously the guys they’re targeting weren’t those guys if they’re doing it today, right? You don’t think they thought of the very obvious trick that is pursuing the top guys that they actually want? Sometimes this **** is just too much. Similar to the people who think they just magically decided to pay more for Wentz for no reason. It requires more mental gymnastics than just assuming they have more info about their own plans and opportunities than you do. It doesn’t mean you have to have faith in their plans, or the outcomes of said plans. But assuming they are missing these extremely basic things is just ****ing stupid 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

What if we get Wagner and convince Landon to convert to LB....... OOOOOOO I like that idea.

Landon can’t cover no matter what position he is. He can’t be a high paid player in 2022

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Settle, McKissic, and Scherff were Free Agents.

I'm not sure how much value Ion has. He's older, expensive, and has a history of injuries now.

Flowers might have gotten us something though.

Sorry, I meant like a year earlier. You’d think the team would know who they want back or will resign and try to get ahead of it by getting draft picks if they can.

Though that’s easier said than done. Just hate losing guys for literally nothing. Happened with Kirk and Trent (to a much lesser extent).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Not if he won’t re-work his deal. 

I can be more than patient, and maybe they do have a plan.  But they just lost a really good cog.  Now they have two holes at guard.  I like Schweitzer, and maybe Charles can start, but that seems like wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, dyst said:

So we couldn’t trade guys like Settle, McKissick, Scheriff, Flowers and Iionnidas? 

Settle and McKissic were FA’s, so no.

Scherff we maybe should have traded near the end of his rookie contract when he hadn’t been franchised yet, but that would have been the previous regime. Franchised players don’t really get traded due to the huge cap hit and his situation had already been mishandled for a while. So no, even though it would have been nice.

Ionnidas was cut bc his cap number was poor compared to his impact, and Flowers specifically was on the last year of his deal with a big cap number. So again, no those aren’t usually guys that you can trade. 

Maybe some of these guys could have been traded in prior years but the team was still hoping they’d re-sign for less or develop more, and it didn’t happen. 

The NFL is getting crazier with trades and it’s a lot of fun, but mid-tier players in general still aren’t traded very often, especially when they don’t have rookie contract years left. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Of the 4 things I can see them spending big on, I think 3 of them don’t make sense (from the context of weakening our oline/dline)

1.  Wagner - he’s a stud, but he’s older and the draft has a lot of options.  Signing a talented short term guy like Vander Esch to pair with a rookie makes so much more sense to me.

2.  Signing a higher priced receiver - that’s massive dollars for 3 receivers (assuming we extend Terry) and comes with weakening the trenches.

3.  Signing the Honeybadger.  We’d waste the money on McCain, and strengthening the back end by weakening the trenches… I don’t know.

Agree with these 3 points. I think we end up getting WR, T/G, RB, DT through our first 4 picks of the draft if we keep current picks. Probably a a DB and DE late. Add in other options if we trade back from #11 like a LB, CB, TE, etc.

I think we spend on a LB and OG now. Norwell and Vander-Esch would be sweet. And probably wouldn't break the bank. But I think those two signings (or Turner or Darryl Williams) would make people feel a lot better about these moves, AND these contracts could go out several years to contorl the players and fill holes long-term. Ion and Flowers were free agents after 2022.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

"Signing the Honeybadger.  We’d waste the money on McCain, and strengthening the back end by weakening the trenches… I don’t know."

What if they play the honey badger in Landon's old spot as an in the box disruptor guy that can also cover?

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"Signing the Honeybadger.  We’d waste the money on McCain, and strengthening the back end by weakening the trenches… I don’t know."

What if they play the honey badger in Landon's old spot as an in the box disruptor guy that can also cover?

I’d hate that even more as Curl is a fit there (as a mostly in the box SS, not linebacker), lol

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We expected this but it can't be for much and bigger moves have to come.

This explains all the cuts today. We probably made Cam Sims a Commander for life with a 10 year 150 million dollar contract.

Which would certainly be a bargain a few years down the line!

(CITR ducks to dodge a well thrown cyber salt mackerel)

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I step away for an hour and all hell breaks lose.

The McLaurin extension wouldn't kick in until next year, so we don't need the cap space this year.  

I'm really surprised by the Flowers cut.  I figured he'd get an extension similar to what Laken Tomlinson got.  3 yrs, 40 mil; which would have lowered his cap number.

Bottom line - We had better be signing some people other than Cam Sims.  

BOBBY WAGNER!

It’s just frustrating because we had all these defensive lineman, for a purpose. You’d think the purpose would be to use some as trade bait, or cheaper talent when its time to move some of the “bigger, higher asking” talent ones. 

Instead we just lose them - for nothing. I understand it was part of the old guard who drafted them but nonetheless, this organization has no continuity with a plan.

Now Rivera has a plan, but he too likely won’t be around to see it through because the new guy will have his own vision.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1