Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Even like were he willing man and available man, like I want no part of Jake Haener here man. He like says "man" like every fourth word man. Like man that's not ok man with me like.

Just joking of course, but maybe Haener's frequent use of the word "man", would fit in with Sam Howell who really liked to use the word "yeah" a ton during his interviews.  (Sam frequently started his responses with a "yeah".)

Between the two of them, one could hold "H-&-H" drinking game during their interviews.. Where everyone has to take a drink each time Haener said " man" or when Howell starts off his reply saying "yeah."

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Since we're all 100% agreed that Carr is at the top of our must have list, I just watched the qb skills challenge and, just like I posted about his practice session,  he lit it up and walked all over his competition.

I'm firing up a 2000 Ford Focus that got it's first dent ever yesterday from gale winds blowing a shopping cart into the passenger front fender and heading for Vegas to offer him a ride to our ES hq where we can put him through a battery of tests and interviews at the unmatchable Commander facilities and drinking games at the mod lounge.

• Haha 8
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Since we're all 100% agreed that Carr is at the top of our must have list, I just watched the qb skills challenge and, just like I posted about his practice session,  he lit it up and walked all over his competition.

I'm firing up a 2000 Ford Focus that got it's first dent ever yesterday from gale winds blowing a shopping cart into the passenger front fender and heading for Vegas to offer him a ride to our ES hq where we can put him through a battery of tests and interviews at the unmatchable Commander facilities and drinking games at the mod lounge.

I'll make the resy at Morton's.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Even like were he willing man and available man, like I want no part of Jake Haener here man. He like says "man" like every fourth word man. Like man that's not ok man with me like.

Yeah well, you know, that’s just like, uh, your opinion …man.

edit - looks like someone got in before me 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Aaron is a much better option no dout.  He is the only one that is worth the big money (my opinion).  Carr, Jimmy G. have done nothing in their pass, to put a team over the top that I can see and would be 4 years of the same.  Aaron might still have a few years left and it might benefit Howell too. A  2/3 year deal with the contract spread out over 3/4.  Need to sign, Draft OL, TE, all-purpose back. Most likely lose Payne and maybe a few others,  And have to fight the Jets over him with comp to GB.  Of course Snyder's sale would have to be done first. 

I don’t want anyone. I saying that should Aaron want to be traded; he would be the top qb available.

The best option for us, a lame duck team with a lame duck owner and coach; just sign a lower tier vet to compete with Sam for the job. If Sam is what the Howellhive says he is, he will win the job in training camp and show you enough that he enters 24 as the starter.  If Sam isn’t what the hive says it is then we move on in 24.

That’s the best option for a team that will have a new owner sometime this year and a new coach next year. You don’t commit long term until the new owner is in place.  Since the new owner isn’t taking over until after the carousel for the top qbs is over; all this talk on those qbs is mute.

If the team starts like it usually does ; Ron is likely fired in the season.

The NFL is changing, no longer are there any marriages between star player and QB. It’s all mercenary services; feelings are out the window. 

Free agents do not care about the owner situation, the checks aren’t bouncing. 

Unique situations happen to be with the two elite QBs who sacrificed a great deal of money by signing LONG term extensions versus the new standard 3 or 4 year deal with idea of the QB cashing in again. 

Washington will have a chance at whoever they want. 

41 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The NFL is changing, no longer are there any marriages between star player and QB. It’s all mercenary services; feelings are out the window. 

I think its more than just the QB. Teams are becoming less afraid of dead money.

Philly set the single move record when they traded Wentz 2 years ago. That move hit them for like 30 Mil. They have something like 60 Mil dead cap this year even beyond the impact of the Wentz trade. They are not afraid of it.

The Falcons broke that record when they moved Ryan. That hit them for like 40 something.

If the Pack move Rodgers that would be another 40 Mil hit, once unheard of, now its actually foreseeable as we have a blueprint.

Nobody wants to take that massive hit, but teams are opening up to the idea in a way that would have been viewed as crazy like 3 years ago.

Edited by FootballZombie

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

So speaking of  "Focus,"  Do you think Snyder will find yet another way to do so?

He has the psychological profile of a rodent so I think the cheese will outweigh everything else in terms of motivation.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Unique situations happen to be with the two elite QBs who sacrificed a great deal of money by signing LONG term extensions versus the new standard 3 or 4 year deal with idea of the QB cashing in again. 

Agents flat out told Ben Standig in an article I posed multiple times that Dan is a major issue for FAs and especially QBs and it hurt their pursuit the previous off season.  And QBs with options didn't want to go there.  Other reporters have said the same.  Heck it even made the Football Outsiders NFL preview when talking about the team as a general point.

You got a team enveloped with scandals run by a sleazy-incompetent owner and you get to have the pleasure of dealing with that in the Motel 6 version of NFL luxury with the worst facilities and stadium in the league without much of a chance to showcase yout talent in prime time games or with a full stadium.

Yeah I don't think QBs with options are chasing the Siberia version of the NFL if they can play in the equivalent of the name that Meditterianian resort city.  

But if Dan indeed sells that can be a game changer.

With the sale, JLC referended the new owner would still have to make some quick upgrades to change the perception of this team especially as to the facilities.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Are there any veteran vet QBs that have a positive past with Bieniemy? Just wondering as it could help explain the team's interest and willingness to wait at least another week for a formal interview while knowing other teams have similar interests.  

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

Still burying your head in the sand as it pertains to Snyder's ownership being a significant issue?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agents flat out told Ben Standig in an article I posed multiple times that Dan is a major issue for FAs and especially QBs and it hurt their pursuit the previous off season.  And QBs with options didn't want to go there.  Other reporters have said the same.  Heck it even made the Football Outsiders NFL preview when talking about the team as a general point.

You got a team enveloped with scandals run by a sleazy-incompetent owner and you get to have the pleasure of dealing with that in the Motel 6 version of NFL luxury with the worst facilities and stadium in the league without much of a chance to showcase yout talent in prime time games or with a full stadium.

Yeah I don't think QBs with options are chasing the Siberia version of the NFL if they can play in the equivalent of the name that Meditterianian resort city.  

But if Dan indeed sells that can be a game changer.

With the sale, JLC referended the new owner would still have to make some quick upgrades to change the perception of this team especially as to the facilities.

My experience with high profile free agents is that a good majority of them sign with losing organizations that are willing to pay the most. With that said, I will concede the fact better organizations are much more willing to engage in free agency in recent seasons and compete financially with the losing franchise— when the money is the same, I’m with you a 100% the free agent will choose the team set up better to win a championship and for them to contribute. 

Players aren’t choosing organizations, they seek the most money and best opportunity to put up numbers to provide more opportunities to make more money. Everything else is a distant second. Agents can spread all the information they want about their guys seeking great organizations … blah blah… money and opportunity, that’s it. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

My experience with high profile free agents is that a good majority of them sign with losing organizations that are willing to pay the most. With that said, I will concede the fact better organizations are much more willing to engage in free agency and compete financially with the losing franchise— when the money is the same, I’m with you a 100% the free agent will choose the team set up better to win a championship and for them to contribute. 

Players aren’t choosing organizations, they seek the most money and best opportunity to put up numbers to provide more opportunities to make more money. Everything else is a distant second. Agents can spread all the information they want about their guys seeking great organizations … blah blah… money and opportunity, that’s it. 

To pay the most you have to have the cash liquidity to actually pay the most.

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Still burying your head in the sand as it pertains to Snyder's ownership being a significant issue?

I was responding to a slice of the overall pie, this comment shifts it to the entire pie. 

It’s like the tired and old discussions the previous two years about Mcclaurin not going to resign, yes he will, the money was right and he’ll continue to be the alpha in an offense providing a greater probability to hit on another big deal. He appears to be a level headed intelligent dude, he chose to spend his entire prime with Washington.  

Dan Snyder is a significant issue, no disagreement from me. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To pay the most you have to have the cash liquidity to actually pay the most.

League mandate is each team must use 95% of the cap. Washington will spend at least 95% of their cap. 

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I was responding to a slice of the overall pie, this comment shifts it to the entire pie. 

It’s like the tired and old discussions the previous two years about Mcclaurin not going to resign, yes he will, the money was right and he’ll continue to be the alpha in an offense providing a greater probability to hit on another big deal. He appears to be a level headed intelligent dude, he chose to spend his entire prime with Washington.  

Dan Snyder is a significant issue, no disagreement from me. 

League mandate is each team must use 95% of the cap. Washington will spend at least 95% of their cap. 

Yes but that doesn't mandate spending it on big money guaranteed contracts.

We aren't going to out guarantee/spend anyone. We haven't for YEARS. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Don't recall much debate about Terry resigning.  Some debate about why they decided to take so long to get it done last year -- I suspected among others that the delay was Dan wanted to hold on to his cash as long as possible and wait until the summer.  Sheehan recently confirmed that's exactly the reason why it was delayed.

But in general its easier for teams to hold their own players than chase new ones -- thanks to the tag among other things.

But overall, Dan isn't known to be a big payer at least not in recent years -- and its a low frill organization so you get the nonsense along with the no frill trappings.  There always just about is a team willing to pay for a good to great QB.  It's not easy to outbid teams.  Good players ultimately typically have choices.

And yeah Dan being an issue is really thing.  These narratives don't just come from Standig.  it's been said again and again, national and local.

Can Dan overcome this by offering the highest bid by a good margin -- like hey Aaron Rodgets, GB gave you 50 million, I'll give you 60.  Probably.  But do we want that?  Considering the cap.  

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.36.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.38.04 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I might be wrong, but Im beginning to think that maybe Derek Carr isn't the best solution for Washington's QB woes.

I'm slowly being convinced that even if Carr decided he was willing to try extending his starting QB career at Washington (a big "if", considering the current state of the franchise and Snyderesque reputation) ... perhaps Washington be better served going with someone else, especially considering Carr's price tag.

I've been watching a lot of Raider games and Carr's performances/decision-making, etc.  While he is a solid veteran NFL starting QB, so was Alex Smith.  I see him as a decent game manager, but one who makes too many risky throws when he has to make passes between the seams.  He's a little more mobile than Wentz, but nothing great.  His accuracy on the long passes can sometimes be streaky inconsistent, and he makes a lot of under-throws when trying to hit the long pass in the endzone.. He does a LOT of check-down passes, ones that are well short of the yardage needed to convert on 3rd downs.  I got the sense McDaniel was really losing patience with him by the Raiders teams game, and really deciding on a run-first philosophy, even against good run defenses.

Maybe Carr was simply limited in what he could show by the fact that Walker's injury left Carr with only on viable midrange target.  Maybe McDaniel passing schemes don't free up enough alternatives to D. Adams, which then forces Carr to try those risky passes between the seams where he often tries to muscle the ball into the receiver amidst double or triple coverage. Maybe the Raiders O-line is to blame.

I don't know what was going on behind the scenes with the Raiders ...but it was really hard to watch the guy's games and say...wow, he's still an elite QB that can carry a team on his back.  And while he might be motivated to prove his detractors wrong, and seemed like a passionate, well-known team player, he's not getting younger and time may erode his existing skill-set.

Edited by Wyvern

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't recall much debate about Terry resigning.  Some debate about why they decided to take so long to get it done last year -- I suspected among others that the delay was Dan wanted to hold on to his cash as long as possible and wait until the summer.  Sheehan recently confirmed that's exactly the reason why it was delayed.

Is this not common place amongst NFL owners? I thought most deals and extensions get done in the summer? Purely going off memory and how I have perceived the NFL off season schedule being in relation to resigning guys, so nothing I’m standing on firmly or bullishly. 

Im not challenging whether Dan has money issues, I have zero fan interest with that side of it.  I know Washington will spend 95% of the cap at minimum and have been above that in most years. 

But in general its easier for teams to hold their own players than chase new ones -- thanks to the tag among other things.

For me, it comes down to early access to money able to be offered by the home team and that player feeling comfortable with ability to maintain production. 

But overall, Dan isn't known to be a big payer at least not in recent years -- and its a low frill organization so you get the nonsense along with the no frill trappings.  There always just about is a team willing to pay for a good to great QB.  It's not easy to outbid teams.  Good players ultimately typically have choices.

I don’t disagree completely but opportunity and money trumps all for players. I believe many involved with the NFL remain romantic with the past relating to player’s why behind decisions. The players view themselves as contractors and have grown increasingly comfortable with the business side of things. It’s becoming more and more like the NBA in this regard, business trumps all. This is why I believe Mahomes and Allen deals are outliers and them deciding to join an old school marriage with their respective franchises. 

The entitled middle class QBs hold their teams hostage, but owners appear just about done giving these dudes crazy money. Fans don’t care about this level of QB, owners are learning it impacts the bottom line none (pure speculation on my part :)). 

And yeah Dan being an issue is really thing.  These narratives don't just come from Standig.  it's been said again and again, national and local.

I agree from a totality standpoint Dan is a great liability, but to get a specific player or coach, it doesn’t matter. Give the coach guaranteed money/years and power, he’s yours, give the player money/years and opportunity, he’s yours. 

Can Dan overcome this by offering the highest bid by a good margin -- like hey Aaron Rodgets, GB gave you 50 million, I'll give you 60.  Probably.  But do we want that?  Considering the cap.  

I dislike Dan and believe with all my being culture is the biggest separator in the NFL and Washington has had one of worst cultures in the NFL. With that said, the incoming free agent can careless about FO culture, in my view. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.36.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.38.04 AM.png