Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

In another words Wentz was couple of degrees better than TH last year...still not a nigh-day difference. To you it looks like that but to me he is an upgrade but not to that magnitude. It will be a different conversation when he can get at least 11 wins and win a playoff game. For 28mil that should be the expectation from a guy who is a "night-day" better than TH. 

One went 11-2 and was ranked top 10 league wide. The other was on Darnolds shoulders keeping his head above water in the shallow end. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

One went 11-2 and was ranked top 10 league wide.

Didn't he go 9-8 last year though?

I think what you are forgetting is that TH started for the 1st time last year compared to how many years has Wentz been in the league. Got it keep that in perspective as well. 

Edited by zCommander

4 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Didn't he go 9-8 last year though?

I think what you are forgetting is that TH started for the 1st time last year compared to how many years has Wentz been in the league. Got it keep that in perspective as well. 

No I don't.

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

In another words Wentz was couple of degrees better than TH last year...still not a nigh-day difference. To you it looks like that but to me he is an upgrade but not to that magnitude. It will be a different conversation when he can get at least 11 wins and win a playoff game. For 28mil that should be the expectation from a guy who is a "night-day" better than TH. 

Factoring in the schedule, if he doesn't win 10 or more it is a total disappointment. They played almost every single top QB last year, the starting QB went down game 1, the D was garbage 1/2 the year, DROY played like crap and missed 1/2 the year, the OL and TE had major injuries and they won 7 anyway. Heineke came close to leading the league in INTS and they still won 7 games. Wentz will have to do much better than that. 

If it gets close to midseason and they are 3-5 or worse the fans will be begging for a replacement. 

This seasons clown show potential is much higher than the last several. 

RR could be firing the DC in less than 6 months. 

It looks to be an exciting season for "fans" like me, either way it goes!

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Factoring in the schedule, if he doesn't win 10 or more it is a total disappointment. They played almost every single top QB last year, the starting QB went down game 1, the D was garbage 1/2 the year, DROY played like crap and missed 1/2 the year, the OL and TE had major injuries and they won 7 anyway. Heineke came close to leading the league in INTS and they still won 7 games. Wentz will have to do much better than that. 

You missed the entire team got COVID and we played a game with a QB who was on the team for 48 hours before he started the game.  Whatever his name was, I don't remember.  Gilbert maybe?

When you say it like this, it really speaks to how amazing a job Ron did squeeze 7 wins out of that season.  I have said many times, the team didn't win BECAUSE of TH in a lot of instances.  He had a couple games where he made big plays at the end, and he had one outstanding game against Tampa.  And they played a REALLY crappy Giants team at the end of year, he sucked, but they still won.  

The rest of the wins were mostly a function of the defense playing better and running the stuffing out of the ball.

TH is a good backup.  I'm glad he's on the team to be a backup.  He can go into a game and not soil himself. He isn't an NFL starter.  He's a guy you want on your roster who you never want to play.  Which is totally fine.  

He's not a starting QB in the NFL.  Every single team has made that clear.  Including the Commanders, who literally called Andrew Luck to see if he wanted to make a comeback instead of entertaining the thought of TH being the day one starter.  The actions of the team, which made a HUGE offer to get Wilson, and were in discussions with everybody about a QB should show you how much they thought of TH.

Put another way: Let's say Wentz was plan ... what? I mean, they clearly wanted Wilson, they would have absolutely traded for Carr or Rodgers if either was available and would come here (they weren't and they wouldn't have, but they would have tried), they inquired with Luck, they looked at the draft and decided they didn't like anybody, and they looked at FA and know that they would be stuck with a crappy situation, and they still knew that ALL of these plans were better than having TH start.

So they pulled the trigger on Wentz. 

Another way of looking at it: they were willing to trade a 2nd and 3rd (most likely) and pay $28M to a QB who's on this third team just to ensure TH didn't see the field unless there was an injury. That's a pretty big indictment of what they think of him as a starter.  It's not an indictment of what they think of him as a backup.  (Though, the fact they just drafted his replacement might indicate they like him as a backup but are also ready to move on from him in that role also.)

8 hours ago, zCommander said:

Would love to have our own Brady. :)

I might be wrong, but the way I read @KDawg's response is he was poking fun at the fact some saw TH as the GOAT WFT/Redskins/Commanders QB. 

I dunno.  He could have been talking about Howell, because that's his thing also.  

I will say, TH MIGHT have been the GOAT Washington Football Team QB. Was he better than Haskins (RIP), One Legged Smith, Kyle Allen?  Maybe?   I think peak One Legged Smith might have been better, but we're not choosing between Favre and Rodgers or Montana and Young here....

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You missed the entire team got COVID and we played a game with a QB who was on the team for 48 hours before he started the game.  Whatever his name was, I don't remember.  Gilbert maybe?

When you say it like this, it really speaks to how amazing a job Ron did squeeze 7 wins out of that season.  I have said many times, the team didn't win BECAUSE of TH in a lot of instances.  He had a couple games where he made big plays at the end, and he had one outstanding game against Tampa.  And they played a REALLY crappy Giants team at the end of year, he sucked, but they still won.  

The rest of the wins were mostly a function of the defense playing better and running the stuffing out of the ball.

TH is a good backup.  I'm glad he's on the team to be a backup.  He can go into a game and not soil himself. He isn't an NFL starter.  He's a guy you want on your roster who you never want to play.  Which is totally fine.  

He's not a starting QB in the NFL.  Every single team has made that clear.  Including the Commanders, who literally called Andrew Luck to see if he wanted to make a comeback instead of entertaining the thought of TH being the day one starter.  The actions of the team, which made a HUGE offer to get Wilson, and were in discussions with everybody about a QB should show you how much they thought of TH.

Put another way: Let's say Wentz was plan ... what? I mean, they clearly wanted Wilson, they would have absolutely traded for Carr or Rodgers if either was available and would come here (they weren't and they wouldn't have, but they would have tried), they inquired with Luck, they looked at the draft and decided they didn't like anybody, and they looked at FA and know that they would be stuck with a crappy situation, and they still knew that ALL of these plans were better than having TH start.

Another way of looking at it: they were willing to trade a 2nd and 3rd (most likely) and pay $28M to a QB who's on this third team just to ensure TH didn't see the field unless there was an injury. That's a pretty big indictment of what they think of him as a starter.  It's not an indictment of what they think of him as a backup.  (Though, the fact they just drafted his replacement might indicate they like him as a backup but are also ready to move on from him in that role also.)

I might be wrong, but the way I read @KDawg's response is he was poking fun at the fact some saw TH as the GOAT WFT/Redskins/Commanders QB. 

I dunno.  He could have been talking about Howell, because that's his thing also.  

I will say, TH MIGHT have been the GOAT Washington Football Team QB. Was he better than Haskins (RIP), One Legged Smith, Kyle Allen?  Maybe?   I think peak One Legged Smith might have been better, but we're not choosing between Favre and Rodgers or Montana and Young here....

I like people not knowing what I meant. Makes me more enigmatic.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let me clear up the Luck narrative. Before the name change it was apparent they were are also going to go for a big name QB to go with the name change. TH was not going to fit that bill. Wilson was on top of their list. But before the Wentz talk some of you wanted Turbisky or Marriota and the like. To that I said you go with TH instead and select a QB next year from the supposedly better QB class. But the FO wasn't going to do that. They wanted a big name to start the season with the new name. So they had to settle for Wentz and were willing to pay Wentz what he got paid for one year and hope for more though. We shall see if the FO made a wise choice or if they were shortsighted in the way they were thinking. 

As for what Kdawg meant/said it was about Howell. ;)

37 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Let me clear up the Luck narrative. Before the name change it was apparent they were are also going to go for a big name QB to go with the name change. TH was not going to fit that bill. Wilson was on top of their list. But before the Wentz talk some of you wanted Turbisky or Marriota and the like. To that I said you go with TH instead and select a QB next year from the supposedly better QB class. But the FO wasn't going to do that. They wanted a big name to start the season with the new name. So they had to settle for Wentz and were willing to pay Wentz what he got paid for one year and hope for more though. We shall see if the FO made a wise choice or if they were shortsighted in the way they were thinking. 

As for what Kdawg meant/said it was about Howell. ;)

No, let me clear this up so it’s crystal clear: the rebrand and marketing had nothing to to with the fact TH can’t run significant parts of the playbook.

They weren’t searching for a big name.  They were searching for a starting NFL QB.Because they didn’t have one on the roster. 

Or as close to it as possible if they couldn’t get their guy.

They struck out with Wilson. 

If they had failed with Wentz they would have signed Mitch or Mariota because even they are better than TH.  And they would have drafted a guy, maybe Howell, earlier

TH was never in their plans because he cant run a full NFL playbook.  It had nothing to do with being a big name because even they knew Wemtz was going to being more quests than answers, and wasn’t going to generate that much excitement.  

It’s as simple as this: TH can’t be an NFL starting QB.  It seems everybody, including every GM and coach in the league and every poster on this message board minus 3 seem to understand that at this point.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, let me clear this up so it’s crystal clear: the rebrand and marketing had nothing to to with the fact TH can’t run significant parts of the playbook.

They weren’t searching for a big name.  They were searching for a starting NFL QB.Because they didn’t have one on the roster. 

Or as close to it as possible if they couldn’t get their guy.

They struck out with Wilson. 

If they had failed with Wentz they would have signed Mitch or Mariota because even they are better than TH.  And they would have drafted a guy, maybe Howell, earlier

TH was never in their plans because he cant run a full NFL playbook.  It had nothing to do with being a big name because even they knew Wemtz was going to being more quests than answers, and wasn’t going to generate that much excitement.  

It’s as simple as this: TH can’t be an NFL starting QB.  It seems everybody, including every GM and coach in the league and every poster on this message board minus 3 seem to understand that at this point.  

The only problem here is that you are not thinking like a businessman. ;)

I have owned a business for over 13 years. Trust me there is a lot of things go into making sure you can sell your product(s). As the saying goes "sex sells" but in this case the QB sells seats and merchandising and season tickets. TH wasn't going to do that and not for someone who was a backup and then became the starter by default. He was not the shinny new toy there were looking for. They clearly said with the name change we are going to get that QB. It all had to do with the name change. I mean they actually said that. 

Turbisky better than TH now that is laughable. 

By the way, have you not seen how for the last 20+ years this is exactly what has been going on? How many QB have we actually try to develop? The FO or Danny for that matter is not going to wait around for that. He likes to eat his porridge hot. 

Edited by zCommander

I'll start by saying that I liked the Wentz signing. I think (thought?) that he's a good QB, even though there's something about him that I don't like, (maybe because I still think of him as an eagle, or maybe because he looks like Prince Harry's twin brother?)

But over the last few weeks, all of the negative press has really started to affect me and I've started to worry that maybe everyone else is right and we're just fooling ourselves. Various stats do seem to show a decline in his play over the years, maybe this can be justified by the players he had around him or maybe he's just getting worse.

I opted for a 10-7 record in the prediction thread, but now I'm starting to think that it all might fall apart and we're heading for a disastrous season. This is usually the time of the year when my optimism is on the up, hitting it's apex during camp when I think we can win it all, but this year it's in reverse.

I'm usually one of the more optimistic posters on here, but I'm really struggling right now. Help me out guys, I seem to turning into a Debbie Downer and I don't like it.

Just to be clear, this isn't anything to do with the ridiculous Wentz vs Heinicke argument.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zCommander said:

Turbisky better than TH now that is laughable. 

$2 million dollars and a day 3 pick would be enough to trade for Heinicke and yet Trubisky got a $14+ million dollar contract. I wonder why.

There was talk of us trying to get Trubs. He's a clear upgrade to TH. The league agrees.

What measurables make TH better than Trubisky?

I’m not a TH hater, either. I don’t mind him. He’s an adequate gap filler for injury and such and he can provide a spark based on his personality and overall football intelligence. But he doesn’t have the arm (or hasn’t) and he makes too many ballsy decisions with the ball.

I’m higher on Trubs than most here. But I don’t think he’s some franchise savior. He’s better than he gets credit for, though. He had some really solid years. 

The only argument I can see making sense for TH being better than Trubs (and I’m not sure I agree) is that it is specific to Washington and not league wide, and based strictly on system familiarity.

Otherwise, as a guy using stats for a basis of argument Z, what stats make you think that?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, London Kev said:

But over the last few weeks, all of the negative press has really started to affect me and I've started to worry that maybe everyone else is right and we're just fooling ourselves.

I get it.  Naturally, there is doubt and bad feelings regarding any move this franchise makes, particularly at the QB position.  The smart money is always placed on failure for this team.

That said, it has to be looked at from the perspective of - what other options did they have?  In my opinion, they landed the best possible option they could.  If Wentz didn’t have warts, he wouldn’t have been available.

I guess I’m just not that emotionally invested anymore to where if this doesn’t work, I’ll be devastated.  I’ve learned that if there is any chance for things to go sideways here, they will.  So I won’t be surprised if Wentz ends up getting hurt, injuries plague the rest of the roster, our “easy” schedule ends up anything but easy, or whatever else can help to derail a season.  At that point, the pundits rejoice and consider themselves “right” even though what went wrong didn’t really fit the narrative.

I know it’s overlooked and some folks will say it’s not relevant, but I feel like getting Terry and Carson together as soon as physically possible is incredibly important for next season.  The vibe alone with Terry not being there and building rapport with him is a bad one.  This needs to be worked out in a hurry.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get the Heini knows the playbook argument. He just can't run it all because of physical limitations.

So the new QB needs to learn it, it will take a while and they can't run the whole playbook yet.

So, I wonder. What percentage of the playbook can Heini run vs a new QB. In this case Wentz, but Trubs would have been in the same boat.

Most importantly, the parts of the playbook the new QB can run. With Heini you know every play run will be the stuff inside 20 yards. The new QB can run the ones far beyond that.

So, no. Knowing the playbook doesn't give Heini any kind of edge over Trubs or Wentz.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get the Heini knows the playbook argument. He just can't run it all because of physical limitations.

So the new QB needs to learn it, it will take a while and they can't run the whole playbook yet.

So, I wonder. What percentage of the playbook can Heini run vs a new QB. In this case Wentz, but Trubs would have been in the same boat.

Most importantly, the parts of the playbook the new QB can run. With Heini you know every play run will be the stuff inside 20 yards. The new QB can run the ones far beyond that.

So, no. Knowing the playbook doesn't give Heini any kind of edge over Trubs or Wentz.

It does no matter how you feel about him, but how much of an edge? A coach will always be more comfortable with a hard worker that they are familiar with that knows the basis of the system than a new guy.

But a coach will always also want a better talent more. 

So while I see the argument, I don’t think it matters (and that is a fact based on the fact they traded for Wentz and he is the starting QB, though he is better than TH anyways).

In this case, Heinicke’s system familiarity matters more vs. Howell than it does vs. Wentz and by next season Howell should be more than familiar with the playbook and Heinicke is expendable. And that may happen even sooner than that. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It does no matter how you feel about him, but how much of an edge? A coach will always be more comfortable with a hard worker that they are familiar with that knows the basis of the system than a new guy.

But a coach will always also want a better talent more. 

So while I see the argument, I don’t think it matters (and that is a fact based on the fact they traded for Wentz and he is the starting QB, though he is better than TH anyways).

In this case, Heinicke’s system familiarity matters more vs. Howell than it does vs. Wentz and by next season Howell should be more than familiar with the playbook and Heinicke is expendable. And that may happen even sooner than that. 

I agree with that about Howell, but he's not up to the speed of the game yet, in addition to learning a pro style offense, so there is a lot more going on. I was comparing veterans. 

A vet who knows 100% of the playbook, but can only run 50% vs a vet who knows 50% of the playbook, but can run 100% of that. 

I am big time relieved they didn't end up with Trubisky.  Among other things I don't think the dude is very bright, and when you look at some of his metrics ala PFF adjusted completion rate in his career, he's neck and neck with Darnold on a number of fronts.  But I do love his mobility.  IMO a slightly more accurate QB than Darnold with nice mobility with a limited ceiling IMO based on lack of QB smarts.  Will see how he does in Pittsburgh.  My bet is Pickett beats him for the job and I am not a big Pickett guy but I don't dislike Pickett either, I think Pickett has a shot.

As for Truibisky versus Heinicke.  I think that would be a dog fight in camp.  I'd give Trubisky an edge though.   Neither is good with the deep ball IMO but Trubisky at least has the arm to get it there.  Both have some wheels but Trubisky has the size to take the hits so his mobility actually translates. 

I think Wentz versus Heinicke is no fight.  Wentz has it locked as he should.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get it.  Naturally, there is doubt and bad feelings regarding any move this franchise makes, particularly at the QB position.  The smart money is always placed on failure for this team.

That said, it has to be looked at from the perspective of - what other options did they have?  In my opinion, they landed the best possible option they could.  If Wentz didn’t have warts, he wouldn’t have been available.

I guess I’m just not that emotionally invested anymore to where if this doesn’t work, I’ll be devastated.  I’ve learned that if there is any chance for things to go sideways here, they will.  So I won’t be surprised if Wentz ends up getting hurt, injuries plague the rest of the roster, our “easy” schedule ends up anything but easy, or whatever else can help to derail a season.  At that point, the pundits rejoice and consider themselves “right” even though what went wrong didn’t really fit the narrative.

I know it’s overlooked and some folks will say it’s not relevant, but I feel like getting Terry and Carson together as soon as physically possible is incredibly important for next season.  The vibe alone with Terry not being there and building rapport with him is a bad one.  This needs to be worked out in a hurry.

Thanks, you make some rational points. I'm still very much emotionally invested in the team and it's really annoying me to think like this.

I totally agree on getting Terry extended ASAP, or at least well before training camp. I like that Wentz and Dotson seem to be developing some chemistry, but having our number one receiver do the same would allay some doubts.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am big time relieved they didn't end up with Trubisky.  Among other things I don't think the dude is very bright, and when you look at some of his metrics ala PFF adjusted completion rate in his career, he's neck and neck with Darnold on a number of fronts.  But I do love his mobility.  IMO a slightly more accurate QB than Darnold with nice mobility with a limited ceiling IMO based on lack of QB smarts.  Will see how he does in Pittsburgh.  My bet is Pickett beats him for the job and I am not a big Pickett guy but I don't dislike Pickett either, I think Pickett has a shot.

As for Truibisky versus Heinicke.  I think that would be a dog fight in camp.  I'd give Trubisky an edge though.   Neither is good with the deep ball IMO but Trubisky at least has the arm to get it there.  Both have some wheels but Trubisky has the size to take the hits so his mobility actually translates. 

I think Wentz versus Heinicke is no fight.  Wentz has it locked as he should.

Pickett is going to beat out Trubisky. He has too many edges even as a rookie over Trubisky. He has veteran edges having played in the literal same stadium for four years. Maybe not right off the bat. But relatively quickly. 

Wentz is far superior to Trubisky or Heinicke.

• Like 1

What gets missed in all the 'twice as good as" and cherry picking stats to compare mumbo jumbo is the level of athletes we're discussing here.  Using golf as an example, there are dozens of guys in the PGA that can win a golf tournament on any given weekend.  There are also a lot of guys playing the same events that have pretty much no chance at winning on any given weekend.  When we're talking about the upper echelon of talent at any particular sport/position, the gaps between competitors is much smaller than it is in the lower levels of professional, college, high school and rec league sports.  Those same guys playing the PGA tour every weekend that don't have much of a chance at all of winning a tournament would still beat the snot out of anyone you know, the best at your club, college, etc.

When people use hyperbolic statements like 'twice as good as' or anything like that when referring to professional quarterbacks, it's just that...hyperbole.  It's not meant to be literal.  I don't think there is any QB, including Tom Brady, that is literally 'twice as good as' Taylor Heineke or other backup QB's in the league.  Just because a Tom Brady led team wins 10 games, doesn't mean he's literally twice as good as the guy whose team wins 5 games.  Besides all the other variables that come into play in an 11-on-11 sport, just looking at individual play vs. one another - it'd be very difficult walk away thinking one pro QB is literally twice as good  as another.

To take it the next step, Heineke makes $2MM per season and Wentz is making $28MM - should he be 14x better than Heineke?  There are reasons guys like Heineke get near league minimums to presumably hold clipboards, but at times need to play the position that the guy in front of them is making at least 5x-20x more than them. The gap between a guy like Heineke and Wentz talent wise obviously isn't 14x - but the reason teams will pay Wentz 14x more money is because the difference in that gap in talent is so incredibly valuable, they'll pay the premium for it.

I think @zCommander is more than well aware of this but merely trying to find things to grasp onto for when he inevitably files a grievance at some point this upcoming season in relation to Wentz play.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

Ranking the most productive backup NFL QBs of 2022: 49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo headlines record of veteran No. 2s

Quarterbacks are always the talk of the NFL, and this year, there’s no shortage of famous person power at the position. Consider merely the top 10 signal-callers of 2022, a crop headlined by the use of the ageless Tom Brady on the other hand chock-full of more youthful, ascending play-makers. But what happens when the massive names go down? Injuries take their toll annually, and unfortunately, that contains the QB position.

But which teams are highest in a position to local weather a loss under center? Here’s a take a look at the most productive backups throughout the league:

Note: There are additional QBs listed (33) than teams (32), on account of we predict at least one in all each Baker Mayfield or Jimmy Garoppolo to be traded and assume a starting process previous than the 2022 season.

The youngsters

Tyler Huntley
USATSI

We’re score recent top draft alternatives (since 2020) reduce free the rest, simplest on account of they vary this sort of lot from occupation No. 2s. For example, if our starter went down, we would possibly rather gamble on Jordan Love’s upside than, say, Andy Dalton’s experience. But we might also need the showed vet for a single essential get began or two. So that is how we would possibly rank the kids:

6. Matt Corral (Panthers)

He turns out to have the thought to be essential swagger and mobility, on the other hand how in short can/will he settle into the NFL?

5. Desmond Ridder (Falcons)

It may be an issue to separate him from the Falcons’ rebuilding lineup. Will his self trust translate into consistency?

4. Jordan Love (Packers)

We’ve spotted just one exact sport from him, and he’s nevertheless growing his vision, on the other hand at 23, with good size and a legitimate arm, we nevertheless like his imaginable as a big-play passer.

3. Malik Willis (Titans)

Like Love, he’s just about an entire unknown, on the other hand he moreover possesses some freakish athletic qualities. In his case, it is not simplest the laser arm on the other hand {the electrical} legs. In a pinch, those kinds of gifts can mask other flaws.

2. Kenny Pickett (Steelers)

He’s extensively considered additional of a safe than explicit prospect, on the other hand the person did numerous the little problems smartly in and around the pocket at Pittsburgh, and he would perhaps smartly get began for a playoff-caliber Steelers team as a rookie.

1. Tyler Huntley (Ravens)

No, he is not Lamar Jackson, on the other hand he’s a truly best possible change in Baltimore, where he’s confirmed in limited development sizes that he can throw hopefully and create space on the ground. It’s no longer this type of unhealthy issue to have an athlete as your emergency fill-in.

The highest of the vets

Jimmy Garoppolo
USATSI

10. Tyrod Taylor (Giants)

New York is overpaying bearing in mind he’s struggled to even stay healthy coming off the bench in recent years, and he is not specifically right kind irrespective of a dishonest for short-area passing. Still, he’s been a serviceable starter previous than, and he can switch.

9. Andy Dalton (Saints)

He hasn’t posted a winning document as a QB in seven years. He nevertheless throws numerous alternatives irrespective of an increasingly “safe” way. But you’ll be able to additionally’t teach 148 video video games of starting experience, and he’s showed he can also be OK with skill spherical him.

8. Jacoby Brissett (Browns)

Like Taylor and Dalton, he’s come what may managed to be every conservative and fairly inefficient during extended movement. But he’s adapted in short in unexpected occupation changes and confirmed, with the Colts, he can also be borderline playoff-caliber with good enhance.

7. Case Keenum (Bills)

Keenum gets himself into trouble in conjunction with his gunslinging style, on the other hand he moreover extends plays and wins over teammates the equivalent way. An actual journeyman after starting runs in Minnesota and Denver, he would’ve been a higher-upside backup plan for the 2022 Browns, who opted as a substitute for Brissett as Deshaun Watson’s most likely suspension change.

6. Taylor Heinicke (Commanders)

Washington got the entire Heinicke experience in 2022: energetic, exciting and mercurial. He’s highest suited to a run-heavy or short-area attack, on the other hand his moxie, mobility and willingness to try massive throws make him one of the vital additional attractive emergency starters.

5. Gardner Minshew (Eagles)

The size and arm power would possibly certainly not be there, on the other hand this guy is a prototypical No. 2, oozing swagger, flashing athleticism and touting beautiful downfield touch. In 27 occupation video video games with rebuilding Eagles and Jaguars teams, he’s thrown 42 touchdowns to easily 12 alternatives.

4. Nick Foles (Colts)

His disappearing act in 2021 is an indictment of the Bears, who preferred the pricier Andy Dalton as Justin Fields’ predecessor. Foles and his massive arm are volatile, and he needs protection up front. But few backup QBs were additional calm, amassed and ready to make tight-window throws in crunch time when referred to as upon.

3. Teddy Bridgewater (Dolphins)

He’s certainly not been more than a serviceable full-timer, offering a gradual surrender big-time throws. But he’s commonplace, typically right kind, maximum repeatedly avoids killer turnovers and has guided quite a lot of winning streaks in gifted lineups. Most teams would truly love to have him in their locker rooms, so long as he’s simplest stepping in under center for a choose selection of video video games.

2. Baker Mayfield (Browns)

He’s nevertheless starting material. Yes, he’s been on a rocky trajectory, going from bold to sloppy to underrated to battered in 4 years as Cleveland’s guy. His ceiling could be as the aim guard for a run-heavy way that takes energy off his good on the other hand streaky arm. But there’s no doubt, at 26, he nevertheless belongs somewhere for a final audition as a No. 1.

1. Jimmy Garoppolo (49ers)

Like Mayfield, who figures to relocate previous than the start of the season, Jimmy G has to this point maxed out as a mid-tier starter, thriving additional when the burden is not on his arm on the other hand rather on the system through which he plays degree guard. He’s moreover really struggled to stay healthy. And however, at his highest, he’s a prototypical pocket passer who may just make all the throws with deep playoff experience.

https://www.todaylivefree.com/nfl/ranking-the-best-backup-nfl-qbs-of-2022-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-headlines-list-of-veteran-no-2s/