Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think it was a mayday effort to get someone better than Heinicke. I heard it was a very late pick.

Yeah I would think it was just a 6th or 7th, especially since he was still set to be a FA after which necessitates a new contract or letting him go for nothing. They were desperate to see someone with a heartbeat other than Heinicke when we still had a shot at the playoffs.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, Silvernon said:

Snyder has been a fairly patient owner over the years. Sure getting his hand in the cookie jar sometimes, but that's 

a common sports owner attribute everywhere. 

Gibbs was four.  

Zorn a too long two.

Shanahan was four. 

Gruden was five and a third.

Callahan an interim.

Rivera is comfortably getting through three, but a QB this year gets him to six years or more.

Plenty of reasons for them to make the big splash this offseason to buy all these guys a guaranteed fourth year with Washington and likely semi-guarantee the fifth and sixth outside of a Haskins bomb of a pick. 

Draft is still probably the most realistic option. That's why I don't pay too much attention to second rounders this year because that pick is for sure gone. You can say good bye to next year's first too. 

The thing that gets me about the Haskins pick is that I've heard nothing about our plans if we didn't get Haskins. It is honestly very similar to this year. This is not to excuse Snyder making the pick but after so long, we can't just keep ignoring a position and say things will work out. We traded for Smith and it didn't work so we should have been all in and at least willing to draft someone. The fact that we were going for Sweat meant we were going to kick the can down the road. I'm not for Snyder making the pick but we needed a young QB. 

Same with this year. Whether it's Corral, Pickett, Howell Riddler, etc. We need to try somewhere and say this is the future is our franchise. 

We can do it with a Tribusky who will be this year's Keenum but fans aren't going to see potential in Tribusky. They'll get excited for some of these guys. Honestly I could see the excitement for Riddler because he can run and similar to how Heinicke got us excited this year and how Hurts got Philly excited, or Prescott with Dallas as a rookie. It doesn't make him an all pro but running QBs with a deep ball are an ok gamble. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Ugh...they got me ****ed up with this Trubisky nonsense. So we were going to trade picks for him at some point? How can a coaching staff be so into a guy who's shown himself to be so subpar? Is Ron just completely sick of Dan already and is trying to get fired so he can take the money and go elsewhere or something?

I am not a Trubisky guy. But I am also not worried about this.

None of these reports indicate that they think he’s the answer. Every beat guy thinks they will shoot higher.

The rap seems to be if they shoot and miss the fallback likely is Trubisky AND a rookie QB.

I see from your posts you aren’t big on them trading for Jimmy G. That move I think might be something you might have to worry about. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I knew about that, but I meant before the season when he was a free and clear FA on the market. 

I have thought about that also and my take is that like most, they had some reservations about Trubisky. Here's where it gets interesting and this is why I'm a little higher on Trubisky than most. I know that Ron is very close with the Buffalo coaching staff. I also know that Ron loved Trubisky coming out of college. I would bet my entire bank account that he had more than a few conversations with Buffalo to see how Trubisky was doing and got a lot of positive feedback. I think the feedback was so positive in fact, that it pursuaded Ron to make the call at the trade deadline to try to grab Trubisky because he didn't want word to get out of how well he was doing and have to compete with others for him in Free Agency. Unfortunately though, The trade at the deadline never happened and here we are. I don't think Ron is rolling the dice on Trubisky. You better believe he has some inside info on him! 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a Trubisky guy. But I am also not worried about this.

None of these reports indicate that they think he’s the answer. Every beat guy thinks they will shoot higher.

The rap seems to be if they shoot and miss the fallback likely is Trubisky AND a rookie QB.

I see from your posts you aren’t big on them trading for Jimmy G. That move I think might be something you might have to worry about. 

I'd be fine with Jimmy G if they also drafted a rookie in the 1st. But my worry with Jimmy G is that the price will be such that a team wouldn't want to spend it to only have him as a bridge or stopgap. I'm assuming he'll cost a 2nd round pick at least. If you spend that on a QB then you generally are bringing him in to be your guy. And for me, Jimmy G is not a franchise QB at all.

He's completely mediocre and would put us right into mediocre team territory. Then we'd limp along for 3 or 4 years as perennial 8-9 or 9-8 team, maybe with a playoff appearance which goes nowhere, and then we'd have to start over again. By that time Ron would probably be on his way out and some of our core guys would have moved on or be ready to.

So several years of ho-hum mediocrity followed by a complete rebuild. If we get Jimmy G I hope we've named ourselves the Washington Thorazines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd be fine with Jimmy G if they also drafted a rookie in the 1st. But my worry with Jimmy G is that the price will be such that a team wouldn't want to spend it to only have him as a bridge or stopgap. I'm assuming he'll cost a 2nd round pick at least. If you spend that on a QB then you generally are bringing him in to be your guy. And for me, Jimmy G is not a franchise QB at all.

Yep, this is exactly what I’ve said as well. I fear that if they go for Jimmy G as the vet guy, he’s just expensive enough to make them be “done” at QB for a year or two and that’s just a slow death rather than a fast one. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

He's completely mediocre and would put us right into mediocre team territory. Then we'd limp along for 3 or 4 years as perennial 8-9 or 9-8 team, maybe with a playoff appearance which goes nowhere, and then we'd have to start over again. By that time Ron would probably be on his way out and some of our core guys would have moved on or be ready to.

So several years of ho-hum mediocrity followed by a complete rebuild. If we get Jimmy G I hope we've named ourselves the Washington Thorazines.

I am like Switzerland on Jimmy G.  Don't love it, don't hate it.

I like his ability more than you do.  I think he's better than average but clearly nothing special.  My main beef is with his injury history.

I doubt he's their Plan A.  But I'd take him as a fall back over Trubisky in a New York minute. 

I think they are going to swing really hard at Russell Wilson.  I know you think they got no shot.  I don't think they land him myself.  I do think they have a small shot.  But my gut right now is they fail to get him but we end up in the running enough to be mentioned ala what happened with Stafford.  Part of the reason why is last year I think there was no shot they'd be the highest bidder for anyone.  Now, I think they likely, old school Dan/Vinny style end up the highest bidder or close enough to being that.

• Like 1

Oh, just to watch Burrow play, and even his post-game interview, to have a QB like that, I can't remember the last time we did. We've had a couple of good ones (I've been supporting this team for decades) but to have someone with that personality and play is a wish come true. They are so ****ing lucky!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

What a shock. A team gets a legit QB and they are already contenders. 
let’s see what 35 year old bum they trade for this year. Alex smith, Fitzpatrick, let me guess, Carr will be this one. And more mediocrity 

I'd actually be ok with Carr. IMO he's not elite but he's definitely better than Jimmy G. One reservation would be the price. I'm guessing LV would probably be asking for 2 1sts for him or equivalent in picks + players) and I'm honestly not sure a top 10-15 guy is worth that. Could be...and after missing out on another 10-15 range guy in Stafford, I could see WFT going all out if they could get Carr.

That said, I seriously doubt LV deals him unless whoever they bring in as GM and HC decide that a complete rebuild is in order.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd actually be ok with Carr. IMO he's not elite but he's definitely better than Jimmy G. One reservation would be the price. I'm guessing LV would probably be asking for 2 1sts for him or equivalent in picks + players) and I'm honestly not sure a top 10-15 guy is worth that. Could be...and after missing out on another 10-15 range guy in Stafford, I could see WFT going all out if they could get Carr.

That said, I seriously doubt LV deals him unless whoever they bring in as GM and HC decide that a complete rebuild is in order.

Yeah I doubt they trade Carr, too.  But speaking for myself, I'd be jacked up if they traded for Carr.  As Jay said that whole team was on his back.  IMO he's a talented QB.  And yeah I'd easily take him over Jimmy G. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Starter material

1.  Russell Wilson (not that realistic but we might have a punchers chance

2.  Derek Carr

3.  Jimmy G (but not if it took a first rounder, a 2nd I am fine with)

4.  Matt Corral

5.  Malik Willis

6.  Sam Howell

7.  Kenny Pickett

Roll of the dice

1.  Carson Strong

2. Desmond Ridder

3.  Zappe

4. Mariota

5. Trubisky

As always thanks for the input.  I would put Carr 1st as I wouldn't think he would cost as much as Wilsom, draft pick wise.  Jimmy G's value will drop after tonight possibly, a bit.  I think Jimmy G's value is worth a 2nd and 4/5th.  JMO.  I go with Pickett, then Howell, Corral and then Willis.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they are going to swing really hard at Russell Wilson.  I know you think they got no shot.  I don't think they land him myself.  I do think they have a small shot.  But my gut right now is they fail to get him but we end up in the running enough to be mentioned ala what happened with Stafford.  Part of the reason why is last year I think there was no shot they'd be the highest bidder for anyone.  Now, I think they likely, old school Dan/Vinny style end up the highest bidder or close enough to being that.

Yeah I've come around a bit on the Wilson thing to where I think there's a tiny chance, but still probably not going to happen. The most recent news I've read is that his short list includes the Broncos, the Saints, and NYG.

He could possibly widen his list, as you've posted info from reporters who feel that he may be more open than someone like Watson.

But my gut tells me NYG gets him. If they want him and are willing to pay up, nobody will be able to compete with their 2 top 10 picks (plus another 1st next year most likely). If you're a new GM and HC coming in that would be absolutely huge if you could bring in a future HoF QB in your first year. And I'm sure Mara would have no problem with it.

Edited by mistertim

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Jimmy G's value will drop after tonight possibly, a bit.  I think Jimmy G's value is worth a 2nd and 4/5th.  

Probably as for his value.  Yeah he's playing banged up, bum shoulder, in the frigid cold today so it might be a bad day for him.  the pregame today felt like a long promo for Jimmy G.  I was waiting for them to cue in the violins when taking about him. 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But my gut tells me NYG gets him. If they want him and are willing to pay up, nobody will be able to compete with their 2 top 10 picks (plus another 1st next year most likely). If you're a new GM and HC coming in that would be absolutely huge if you could bring in a future HoF QB in your first year. And I'm sure Mara would have no problem with it.

I hope not as for the Giants.  For this reason specifically I am hoping they hire Daboll.  And in turn hope the idea that the Bills being are in love with Trubisky is genuine and not BS fluff -- so that Daboll brings Trubisky to NY.  That would kill 2 birds for me with one stone.

1.  Keep Wilson away from NY

2.  Put a ceiling on the Giants

• Like 1

One thing everyone needs to remember about JimmyG is he has got a no trade in his contract and a huge cap hit which will make it impossible to get him for most teams.

I think he would come here if we gave him a new contract but I think if we are lucky it will effect the interest I him. We do have cap room for him. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

One thing everyone needs to remember about JimmyG is he has got a no trade in his contract and a huge cap hit which will make it impossible to get him for most teams.

I think he would come here if we gave him a new contract but I think if we are lucky it will effect the interest I him. We do have cap room for him. 

FWIW - Jimmy G had a no trade clause the first 4 years of his contract but that doesn't apply in 2022 (5th) year) now and SF only would have a $1.4 mil dead cap hit.  This offseason was speculated target if they actually decided to trade him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/

Contract Notes:

• $48.7M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + 2018 roster bonus + $7.5M of 2019 salary)
  • Additional $9.7M of 2019 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/2019
  • 2018 Roster Bonus: $28M (guaranteed)
  • $15.7M of 2020 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/2020
  • 2018, 2019, & $15.7M of 2020 salary guaranteed for injury
  • Annual Per Game Active Bonus: $47,058 ($800,000, 15 LTBE in 2022)
  • Annual Workout Bonus: $600,000
  • 2019 Incentives add $7.5M injury guarantees in 2021 & 2022
  • No Trade Clause 2018-2021