Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

I haven't listened to Longo yet.  He was on Sheehan's podcast.  But Keim said he texd back and forth with Longo.  Someone here posted about that.  I posted about that in the FO thread.

But the gist was Longo said his offense is very similar to Klingsbury.    Longo and Klingsbury are close.   And Longo told Keim that the Klingsbury hire was very exciting.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't listened to Longo yet.  He was on Sheehan's podcast.  But Keim said he texd back and forth with Longo.  Someone here posted about that.  I posted about that in the FO thread.

But the gist was Longo said his offense is very similar to Klingsbury.    Longo and Klingsbury are close.   And Longo told Keim that the Klingsbury hire was very exciting.

I like it. 

19 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Allbright's on it.  💣

I listened to Longo on Sheehan. He said it’s very similar offense, Sheehan kept trying to get him to say who they should draft and he said he liked all of the 3 guys Sheehan mentioned. But he said he knows Drake and vouched for Drake’s character and work ethic and stuff. Basically, what you would expect.

My guess is they take Drake based on familiarity unless they have Jayden Daniels rated significantly higher.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It is the same idiot that posted "His sources say Ben Johnson is not leaving Seattle without a deal in place". The guy is a frikin idiot.

Same dude who spoofed me on a 6 year deal. Live and learn, and know who to ignore from now on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

We have 90 million in cap space and 2 picks in rounds 2 and three. There is zero shot the OL you saw last year will be starting week one next year. 

Yep, we literally have 5 draft picks between the start of round 2 and the end of 3/start of 4. People keep pretending the OL can't effectively be addressed unless we use the 2nd overall pick on one, or trade down and select one. First, that ignores the bust factor, and second that ignores the fact that we can have a Stromberg situation as well, people have already forgotten we used day 2 draft capital on the young Center prospect with a "future average starter" grade and then of course there's the point already mentioned, that we have a giant collection of draft capital and salary cap space to address the issue, not just the value of the 2nd overall pick. 

There is a real sacrifice i failing to acquire an OL in the top 10, but it's also a fools errand. We had Jansen and Samuels, we had Scherff and Trent Williams and it never meant anything in the least. 3 elite top 10 lineman selections across 15 years and a top OL from the top 30ish, immaterial because the guys taking the snaps were mediocrities or worse. You can't build an OL for noone. You have to build an OL for an actual talent. A QB is either it, or they are not it, we don't have "it", we've got to get it. Simple as that. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I gather from Keim and Peters and Quinn flat out said this -- they haven't even dived into the QBs yet.  But somehow random people on the Internet know what they plan to do?

I mean, Peters was working in his capacity as a personnel guy all season for the 49ers before he came here. He definitely has watched some of these QB’s, I would think. Or at least receiving reports from area scouts who were watching them. 

But yeah, they probably haven’t been having those conversations yet other than high level talk about likely taking a QB with that #2 pick in terms of strategy. And they wouldn’t tell anyone anything about it regardless. 

But I’m betting a guy like Peters has high level thoughts about these guys that he hasn’t broached with many in the organization yet because he’s been busy, um, building that organization. 

• Thanks 1

a 2nd rounder for Howell?

Uhhh yes please.

Similar players have been traded for less...

I think Tannehill was moved for a 4th rounder, albeit was drafted in the 1st round.

If this is true and there actually is a market for Sam, I'd be shocked if he went for a 2nd. 

31 minutes ago, Conn said:

I mean, Peters was working in his capacity as a personnel guy all season for the 49ers before he came here. He definitely has watched some of these QB’s, I would think. Or at least receiving reports from area scouts who were watching them. 

But yeah, they probably haven’t been having those conversations yet other than high level talk about likely taking a QB with that #2 pick in terms of strategy. And they wouldn’t tell anyone anything about it regardless. 

But I’m betting a guy like Peters has high level thoughts about these guys that he hasn’t broached with many in the organization yet because he’s been busy, um, building that organization. 

He probably has an early opinion on them.   But he also is the same dude that says he tailors his work to the scheme and coach.  So now that he has the HC and offensive coordinator I gather they will dive into it.  Though he said in one interview I watched that the initial dive will be into FA since that comes first.

• Like 1

Kingsbury will have great intel on Caleb thru his time at USC and Maye thru his connection to Phil Longo.

Jayden I'm not sure where / how strong the connections are.

Wouldn't surprise me if they spent more time doing work on Jayden, bringing him in for visits, etc. to plug the knowledge gap.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Yep, we literally have 5 draft picks between the start of round 2 and the end of 3/start of 4. People keep pretending the OL can't effectively be addressed unless we use the 2nd overall pick on one, or trade down and select one. First, that ignores the bust factor, and second that ignores the fact that we can have a Stromberg situation as well, people have already forgotten we used day 2 draft capital on the young Center prospect with a "future average starter" grade and then of course there's the point already mentioned, that we have a giant collection of draft capital and salary cap space to address the issue, not just the value of the 2nd overall pick. 

There is a real sacrifice i failing to acquire an OL in the top 10, but it's also a fools errand. We had Jansen and Samuels, we had Scherff and Trent Williams and it never meant anything in the least. 3 elite top 10 lineman selections across 15 years and a top OL from the top 30ish, immaterial because the guys taking the snaps were mediocrities or worse. You can't build an OL for noone. You have to build an OL for an actual talent. A QB is either it, or they are not it, we don't have "it", we've got to get it. Simple as that. 

I am bored with the he said, she said stuff as to what QB talking heads like better Maye or Daniels.

But to chime in a little, i noticed a pattern Maye fans seem heavy on ex-QBs.  Kanell. Hassellbeck. McCoy, Orlovsky, Nate Trice (college Qb)

I listened to this today from Kanell, not only did he rave about his play but said he got to know him some and that he's a great dude

ESPN’s Tim Hasselbeck: Drake Maye most ‘perfect’ prospect he’s seen

"Drake Maye, is to me, about as perfect of a prospect that I have seen in 15 years at ESPN."
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/tim-hasselbeck-drake-maye-perfect-prospect.html

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, illone said:

a 2nd rounder for Howell?

Uhhh yes please.

Similar players have been traded for less...

I think Tannehill was moved for a 4th rounder, albeit was drafted in the 1st round.

If this is true and there actually is a market for Sam, I'd be shocked if he went for a 2nd. 

Count me as equally shocked. I doubt we trade him - he probably has more value to us than anyone else given he played in a similar system to Kingsbury's at UNC. He knows the system and has starting experience - hes a good backup option on a rookie deal. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

We have so many great options to get our QB. Conversely, we have so many options that we may well **** up and take the wrong QB.

I would be curious to know what the anal nerds think the odds are of Caleb being Mahomesish? We should be able to get some raw numbers at this point. 20% or is it closer to 40%?

Or what are the odds of who will be the best QB in this draft class. What is the spread between the top 5. Quantified tiers whatever. Is Caleb 90% most likely?

Edited by RandyHolt

9 hours ago, PlayAction said:

The only bad moves are the ones that don't result in good players.  Selected a bust with the 2nd overall pick would be a bad move.  Outcomes are uncertain so more picks are better.  On the other hand, a franchise QB is a huge difference-maker.  That's why the GM is paid the big bucks.    

I would never make that trade.  Not then and not now.  Picking RG3 at our original spot is a different question.  

I would do it then, and again. It's really basic. You don't have a QB, you go get one. I should also add that Houston basically did the trade themselves so they could get both Anderson and their QB. Do you think they regret it now? CJ stroud? If you hit on the pick, there are no regrets. People pretend it's bad, it aint. You either hit, and get your guy, or miss and suck and try again. I would do it again and again and again forevermore without a second thought so long as the QB prospect was an elite QB prospect and we didn't have one.

I don't even think it should be a question and am utterly baffled at people who pretend it is one. You pretend it is one because RGIII and Bryce Young busted. But if you hit on a CJ Stroud, on a Mahomes a Herbert or whatever, you wouldn't give 1/10 of a you know what, you'd finally have the guy, finally, and options and roads littering your future instead of locked doors and closed roads. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

We all know that Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks.  How did he do that?  By having a very strong offensive line, a strong defensive line and 2 good coordinators- Gibbs on offense and Pettibone on defense.   Has the NFL changed so much that you have to find the franchise quarterback first and then build up your offensive and defensive lines??  Seems backwards to me. Snyder chased quarterbacks and look where that got him.  Our lines need to be built up.  Howell had no chance last year to look good.  We also need another elite receiver like Marvin Harrison Jr.  But what about getting a strong left tackle?  We have so many needs.

Hope Peters and Quinn can figure it all out and not put all their money in one basket that would be either complete hit or complete miss.

Yep, it has changed so much. No we can't use a method that was genius 40 years ago in a totally different league lacking free agency as well as rule changes that have uniformally benefited offenses and QB's in particular. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Kingsbury will have great intel on Caleb thru his time at USC and Maye thru his connection to Phil Longo.

Jayden I'm not sure where / how strong the connections are.

Wouldn't surprise me if they spent more time doing work on Jayden, bringing him in for visits, etc. to plug the knowledge gap.

They will do exactly that. And people will take that and run with it. And then they’ll probably take Maye anyways. 

Then again, you can only meet these guys so many times. So they’ll probably hit all three as much as possible between the Combine, Pro Days, and top-30 visits.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We have so many great options to get our QB. Conversely, we have so many options that we may well **** up and take the wrong QB.

I would be curious to know what the anal nerds think the odds are of Caleb being Mahomesish? We should be able to get some raw numbers at this point. 20% or is it closer to 40%?

Or what are the odds of who will be the best QB in this draft class. What is the spread between the top 5. Quantified tiers whatever. Is Caleb 90% most likely?

If that math was truly possible— and satisfactorily predictive—don’t you think all of this would be much easier? 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Well, since you asked, I would say 5% and I feel like I’m being extremely generous.

7 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well, since you asked, I would say 5% and I feel like I’m being extremely generous.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll take the under haha.

Football player analysis is ALL about numbers now.  Instead of simple draft slots we got lots of time to quantify % chance of making their NFL comparable, or whatever make sense to project.  Instead we will be stuck with you gotta take caleb first overall did you see the tape?? and no numbers to quantify that.

Edited by RandyHolt

I am bearish on Caleb mostly because everyone says he's the best but also because I want my all star QB to be taller than 6'1.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and hear what Klinger is telling our shiny new brass about him. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1