Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Drakes inconsistencies appear to be coming to the forefront. I still would prefer him over Daniels. But watching Daniels run all over the park is going to be exciting as hell. 

It was almost the exact same inconsistencies that caused Allen and Herbert to fall out of the top 3.

Someone is gonna get a steal. 

• Like 6

I'm a little surprised the spielman prediction isn't being talked about more.

He was hired to help find our new general manager, as someone said earlier he was in the interview with peters and there's  no doubt the subject of the number 2 pick came up as well as quarterbacks.

This could be the first internal leak and we all missed it, it's certainly the closest thing we've had to a source familiar with the team.

Of course it could be nothing, just spielman guessing who we'll take with no inner knowledge but it could be something too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank you for proving my point. Everyone was focused on being so wright, they missed that.

Malcomb Kelly and Jason Candle resent this post. 

• Haha 2

Just now, mistertim said:

A guy who pulls his eyes down and runs as soon as there's pressure at a borderline historic rate is a running QB.

My issue with this is you saying he does it as soon as there is pressure and there is plenty of tape of him not doing that. I just don't agree with your analysis there. Most people don't, actually. So I don't know what else I can do to dissuade you there. I think he manages pressure better than Maye actually. Room for improvement for both, though. 

Daniels ranks 193 out of 196 QB prospects since 2019 in how low his pass rate vs run rate when pressured is.

That means almost nothing to me. And you know my argument here is why take credit from him for positive plays he is making? When he does take off, he is very effective. He averaged over 8 yards per carry last season. It would be stupid for him not to run it. Its basically a guaranteed 1st down. Its the smart play. 

And IMO it's likely to be even worse in the NFL as be won't have the kind of OL and elite WRs he did in college. 

Right. He wont have WRs that can get open and OL that can black in the school. Excellent point. 

• Like 1

Not sure this was posted, apologies if i missed it: John Keim was on the Kevin Sheehan pod and said he’s heard JJ McCarthy is ahead of Drake Maye on the Commanders board and all signs continue to point to JD being the pick. That is as direct as I've seen mentioned - in relation to their board.

Edited by Kalu44

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In that interview with Shannon, Daniels alluded to bulking up.  He's aware of the issue.  Obviously this team is aware of it too so if they pick him I gather its all hands on deck as to bulking up.

It's not just about bulking up, though, it's the frame. If you (not YOU you, but you get what I mean) could come to me and say "Don't sweat, it, he'll be alright," then cool. Otherwise, his recklessness will get him hurt in the NFL... badly. Some DE or LB trying to make a team will take a pre-season shot or someone with a chip on his shoulder will say "This is my chance" and it won't be pretty at the NFL level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'm a little surprised the spielman prediction isn't being talked about more.

It's worth noting as well that in all his previous draft segments w/ the same host/show, Spielman was very deliberate and careful with how he worded what he thought Washington would do. I believe even earlier he had the host make the pick because of "conflict of interest" (this would have been back in like February). 

So it wasn't just what Spielman said in that moment but how differently he said it compared to past mocks. It came out rather matter of factly, no hesitation. But again, it's possible that he just worded it differently for whatever reason. It did stand out to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I am inclined to agree with this. I thought the reason they were trading him was because of an uncomfortable situation with Maye. Trading him for peanuts was the wrong move if the pick is Daniels. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He wasnt traded for peanuts. The value based on his performance as a bottom 5 QB last year was quite good. We traded him because you dont want two developmental QBs at this stage of our team building cycle.

.... I'm just gonna convince myself that this all happened cuz they want Maye, try to wish it into existence... 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it was funny, I follow Chad on twitter two things about him seeped into the interview

A. Chad's love of junk food.

B.  Chad's love of Terry and Dotson.

Catch him enjoying his love of "junk food" at the Twin Peaks in Pembroke Pines. I've ran into him there a few times. I watched the Colorado and TCU game there with him last year. It's not quite his McDonald's kick but it ranks up there for him.

You guys are miracle workers in this thread. I visit it about once a week until the last few weeks when its been 2-3 times a week. Hard to catch up on it all but I respect the work including the countless redundant posts by the people dug in with their choice of pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

My issue with this is you saying he does it as soon as there is pressure and there is plenty of tape of him not doing that. I just don't agree with your analysis there. Most people don't, actually. So I don't know what else I can do to dissuade you there. I think he manages pressure better than Maye actually. Room for improvement for both, though. 

That means almost nothing to me. And you know my argument here is why take credit from him for positive plays he is making? When he does take off, he is very effective. He averaged over 8 yards per carry last season. It would be stupid for him not to run it. Its basically a guaranteed 1st down. Its the smart play. 

Right. He wont have WRs that can get open and OL that can black in the school. Excellent point. 

So now you're doing the "he doesn't always do that" straw man. He doesn't always do it as soon as there's pressure. But he does a lot. Which is the point. 

I'm sorry that statistic means nothing to you. But if you take a look at some of the guys who were nearly as low in that category and went to the NFL...well let's just say it's not very good company. 

And yes, often the results were good in college against inferior athletes. But the NFL is different and I don't think his running style is going to translate well. Especially with how thin he is and the nutso way he takes hits.

In the NFL he's inevitably going to get decleated multiple times, and it's probably only matter of time until the result is an injury. 

As far as WRs who can get open, it's not a matter of getting open, it's a matter of the difference between NFL open and college open. He's not going to have Nabers amd Thomas getting several yards of separation over and over.

And this is where his low amount of anticipation throws on tape could rear its head. The majority of the time, even on anticipation routes like comebacks and outs, he didn't throw the ball until he saw his guy open. 

He got away with it in college, especially since his receivers were getting so much separation. But that won't be the case in the NFL. Tons of those throws would have been picks in the pros. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's how I feel too. But obviously you and I and the rest of Maye Nation appear to be missing something. 

On the one hand, I can concede that there is just proprietary data we lack access to as well as mental make up details we're missing from due diligence checks on players personalities, criminal history what have you, but it's also not difficult to say....

2011: Locker, Ponder, Gabbert

2012: Weeden a 1st, Wilson a 3rd rounder

2013 or 14: Bortles

2016: Goff and Wentz worthy of top 2 picks

2017: Trubisky ahead of utterly proven Watson, and otherworldly Mahomes

2018: Lamar behind Darnold, and Rosen

2019: Danny Nickels is a top 5 guy

2020: Herbert's mechanics sucks, not remotely in Burrow's universe, like Rodgers, and Mahomes, he needs a lot of work to even be worth a mid to late 1st.

2021: Zach Wilson is Mahomes, Trey Lance is Lamar, who wasn't anyone. The Niner's are definitely taking Mac Jones top 3 because it's all about FLOOR!

2022: Pickett: never mind the previous entire college career, look at those 4th year #'s! Howell's hopeless, he should go 120 picks after Pickett!!!

2023: Purdy's a god of the S2, Stroud's a moron, Young's the next Purdy!

Why do we think we're missing something? I don't know if we're right about Maye, but I know we can make a lot of money knowing they'll be wrong on almost everything. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dude, I've got a bunch of warning points and have no idea how to keep my mouth shut. They're either gonna kick me out or make me a Mod one of these days and nobody wants that.

I would say no one would want me to be a MOD instead though. You would still make a better MOD than me though. 

kissing ass if one day hell freezes over and koolblue is the mod and he lets me keep my membership 

• Haha 2

If the pick is Maye, then I'll tell myself that he will be the next Josh Allen, and Daniels will flame out and get injured.

If the pick is Daniels, then I'll tell myself that he will be Lamar with a better arm and Maye will be Trubisky 2.0.

If the pick is JJ, I will fall into fetal position.

At least I'm covered mentally on 2/3 QBs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

The Ben Johnson situation is different. Because he decided not to interview for the job. I still think had he interviewed he would be our head coach right now. And we would not have signed all of the defensive free agents we did because of it. 

Not sure. The sense I get is that he probably wouldn't have interviewed well even if he had interviewed in retrospect. If he gets a HC job, it's gonna be because the cv relating to Detroit's offense is so absurd, teams will ignore that he behaves like he has a personality disorder. Right now, the esteem isn't that high to ignore something that critical to coaching (man management, mental make up, ability to motivate and relate and communicate effectively with people etc). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I would say no one would want me to be a MOD instead though. You would still make a better MOD than me though. 

kissing ass if one day hell freezes over and koolblue is the mod and he lets me keep my membership 

If either of you two lunatics is ever made a mod, I'll quit this place. 

(Yes, I realize I just gave Jumbo a really easy way to finally get rid of me without going through the hassle of bans)

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Lamar with a better arm

Daniels doesnt have a better arm than Lamar. Not sure where this is coming from all of the sudden. He is a more polished passer than Lamar was coming out. But Lamar has a far stronger arm than Daniels. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

.... I'm just gonna convince myself that this all happened cuz they want Maye, try to wish it into existence... 👍

I thought it was a given that this sentiment applied to anything about anybody for almost everyone posting in this thread over the last 6 months. 🙃

• Like 1

The Lamar comparisons are terrible. Lamar won a league MVP at the same age Daniels will be in his rookie year. Lamar played for a mediocre at best college program with very little to no talent around him and won a Heisman at age 20. Lamar is way more elusive with way more wiggle and is more explosive as a runner with crazy good spatial awareness and instincts(so he doesn't get trucked as often). They aren't remotely close as prospects.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

If the pick is Maye, then I'll tell myself that he will be the next Josh Allen, and Daniels will flame out and get injured.

If the pick is Daniels, then I'll tell myself that he will be Lamar with a better arm and Maye will be Trubisky 2.0.

If the pick is JJ, I will fall into fetal position.

At least I'm covered mentally on 2/3 QBs!

JJ is Drew Brees with wheels, Kirk Cousins with clutch, and he will lead us to many championships. 

There, you now are covered. Unless the Bears take Daniels and we're forced to settle for Caleb Williams. 

• Haha 1