Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No way. His advanced age and playstyle means he HAS to play day one. If he doesn't, the pick is already in question.

I didn’t say he was going to get a year. I just think he needs one (at least).

The narrative seems to be that Daniels is ready to start and Drake Maye needs a year to develop but to me, Maye is the more complete quarterback. Maybe you can get away with starting Jayden and just do easy stuff and hope that him being fast can compensate 🤷‍♂️. He’s not going to play quarterback in year one better than Drake Maye is though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, illone said:

Accuracy is where he actually WAS the best in this draft class.

That's all I got 😂

JJ was certainly among the QBs most consistently on-target:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/what-does-accuracy-tell-us-about-the-2024-quarterback-draft-class/

For this exercise, we’ll look at completion percentage and on-target rate, as charted by Sports Info Solutions, for each depth of the field. 

SIS defines on-target percentage as “a pass that hits the receiver in stride, regardless of whether the pass is completed.” It’s not a perfect one-for-one stand-in for accuracy, but it paints a picture of ball placement we can use to set up a prospect’s profile.

Here’s a look at the 2024 class with their depth rates, completion rates and on-target rates compared to each other.

2024-QB-Class-Rates-1024x314.png

The first thing to note is how different the college and NFL games are from a depth standpoint. Only the quarterbacks listed above threw passes between 1-10 air yards on more than 40 percent of their attempts. 

Meanwhile, NFL quarterbacks live in this world. Among 32 qualified quarterbacks in 2023, only three were below 40 percent. The average for NFL quarterbacks last season was 47.7 percent.

Edited by Dah-Dee

4 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Wow! That must have been a hell of an experience.

I know you're not going to volunteer it, because you would view that as being too prideful and that, much to your credit, is not who you are---

H

The 40 I wouldn't run in track alas they didn't have that back then as a competitive race, if they did that would be my best one, the shorter the run the better I am.  But I would run a 40 and also the mile for the HS soccer team before the season in tryouts.  They'd time us for both.  My best with the 40 is 4.38.    I was usually somewhere around 4.4.  Which is very good by layman standards but nothing insane.  The mile I was good enough to usually but not always beat my soccer teammates but was not track worthy-- my best was usually somewhere around 5:30, I've beaten that time but that would be my average back then.  

Track at the 100, somewhere around 11 typically.  200 i don't recall but wasn't as good, somewhere in the high 20s.  My thing was the 100 and relays of the 100 (x 4).  Not much of a long distance runner -- am not bad at it but nothing great.  And I couldn't do hurdles.  

In the SB experience they clocked me about 4 years ago at 4.4.  But I know that's a BS time clearly they did not have the best clock. It felt to me like the low 4'5s.  But it was super cool to see that score flash at the end even though I didn't believe it.  :ols:   But it was my maybe last hurrah as to doing anything ahtletic, it was fun beating a bunch of teenagers including my son back then.  I know people's speed at one point tends to fall of a cliff.  It didn't at that point clearly for me but I might be getting there now because as I said my son beat me in a rematch. 😢

When I go running just about every day, twice a week I'll still do sprints.  I might have the balls to retest my son in a race.😎

Among other things when we get older our balance isn't the same so it hits you with sprints in particular because of the get off.  I've been working a lot on my hamstrings and some on balance exercises to see if I can keep it going.   

lol, probably too much information.  :ols:  Appreicate the comments but its nothing really crazy as for bragging. I've read other posts from people here who have gone much further than me athleticially.  For me its just some high school sports.  I know others here have done the same.  I believe some here played some college, too.  The most humble dude I always think is @KDawg, the dude coaches high school football for a living and we'd debate him X's and O's and that dude lives and knows X's and O's by a mlle more than I would guess anyone here.  Yet he almost never mentions he's a coach.

Bringing this to Jayden Daniels.  Yeah in my small way that I can relate from playing sports eons ago.   I'd play just about every sport recreationally.  And my go to move really in any sport is to use my speed.  And I enjoy watching dudes in all sports who are uber athletic -- especially uber fast.    And Daniels to my eyes is a blast.  The straight line running is BS.   He's elusive in open field.  He's elusive horizontally and laterally.   Cooley said he's a walking highlight reel and IMHO he's 100% right about that.

I think he has VERY good vision.  Look if you have the ball in open field, and you are dodging players on the left and then the right, on and on, eventually someone is going to catch you from a blind spot.   But the fact that he can get that deep and far on these runs is incredible.  

People can say as forcefully as they want that he doesn't see the field or is a straight line runner or whatever.  That's cool.  It has no impact on me.  Zero. I am not saying they should care about what i think.  To each their own.  But for me, I got no doubt his running is special.  And even people don't want to take my word for it -- just look at the numbers.  13 plus yards per scramble is insane.  Not just good.  Insanely good. 

He averaged almost twice the YPC that the electric RG3 ran for his last year in Baylor.  The best running Qb of all time, Lamar Jackson in college didn't match Daniels 8 plus YPC last season.   IMO if anyone went to Adama Peters and tried to explain to him Daniels' running is way overrated my best guess would be Peters would find it beyond laughable.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, illone said:

Accuracy is where he actually WAS the best in this draft class.

That's all I got 😂

Looking at JT O Sullivan and PFF guys talk and JT says his tape is actually more polished than Drake Maye, and that "if you can sling in, why not?" 

After reviewing some 2022 Highlights, he absolutely knows how to throw anticipatory passes, probably his most "WOW!" throw as a freshman, he throws it 40 yards from outside the numbers to the opposite hashmark down the field and he actually throws the guy open.  Can't recall who the receiver was but his defender was not far away from him, the direction of the throw and its loft got him open to catch and then get the TD.

Yes, he isn't showing touch/loft on deep corners (but he still hits them) as other guys but he makes every intermediate/pushing into deep and I've seen him complete a ton of swings and passes to the outside needing touch. 

I keep having this sinking feeling. At least with Brady's draft, everyone else made the same mistake multiple times. There's something about this kid that's electric (I know, because I watched a Cade McNamara team get to the CFP, he was much more like a Stetson Bennett than McCarthy) and he has every other quality. He has the metrics, he takes chances downfield and in the middle, he's not scared, he's safe but not conservative --- he just doesn't have the reps.  

Everything from calling his shot as a recruit, "taking it personal" with Ohio State, beating them 2 times, standing on the field after his two picks cost Michigan the CFP vs. TCU to "soak in the moment" and then winning it this year on one leg (from Penn State onwards) with his head coach suspended for the biggest games of the regular season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Good lord when you watch it condensed like that you really see just how pathetic Maye's OL really was. Wow. 

Interesting, I was surprised at how many of Maye's sacks happened after he had a decent amount of time in the pocket, didn't throw it, and then couldn't escape arriving pressure.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Catching up with the last few pages of this thread and it’s brought out so many topics, QB related, and personal related. Just what this place is about.

Then you get Happy Sack Day and wonder what’s comings next.

Sorry, could not find Caleb sacks cut-up for his biggest ES fan, but here's a consolation prize:

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Pretty difficult to knock Daniels much as all this information floods out IMO

Two great vids, but the Pioli one was dense with relevant information. Pioli spent the last year observing him. His reputation is impeccable. I believe what he says.

There's a lot of stuff I had heard whispers about before that Pioli puts the official stamp of certainty on.

Lets list a few of Polian's direct quotes from the video:

1. "Daniels work ethic and work standard are off the charts."

2. "Daniels got into the office every morning and every single week at 5:30am."

3. "One day he would meet with his offensive linemen."

4. "One day he would meet with his wide receivers."

5. "Sometimes he would meet with his coaches."

6. "He also did this other thing  with  Virtual Reality every single morning."

7. "I remember asking Jayden why he did the VR."

8. Jayden Daniels said, "I've never been to Starkville before, I've never been to Mississippi State, but with VR I know where everything is. I know where the play clock is, I know how deep the sideline is, I know everything about that stadium already, and I know the reaction in that stadium."

9. "This is a guy who is committed to the game and truly one of the finest young men that I have ever met during these processes."

10. "I'm all in on Jayden Daniels."

Does ANYONE know if the Commanders have a VR setup? If not, no matter who we draft but definitely if we get Jayden we need to immediately invest in one of those.

EDIT:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it just occurred to me that Adam Peters,  who got his start at tge Patriots, may have been hired by, or if not, at least worked with Scott Pioli.

Anyone know for sure???

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

For this exercise, we’ll look at completion percentage and on-target rate, as charted by Sports Info Solutions, for each depth of the field. 

Kedon Slovis is someone I'd highly consider doubling -down on the position and taking on Day 3.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Kedon Slovis is someone I'd highly consider doubling -down on the position and taking on Day 3.

He'd be an interesting pick, especially to go with Maye. As Maye could sit for a bit and work on mechanics, while Slovis could play right away. Getting experience for a young back up, if not trade chip while allowing the top pick to develop. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Agree, Milton for his tools is uber intriguing for me.  Granted he's not the standard backup type.

On another note.   lol, Grant who is a big Maye guy, maybe the biggest among the local media said he poked around on who picked up whom at the airport.

And confirmed that it was Daniels picked up by Peters and Quinn.  And if I heard him right the others took ubers.

So Grant who has been shooting down the other Daniels rumors actually finds this drill meaningfull. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Everything from calling his shot as a recruit, "taking it personal" with Ohio State, beating them 2 times, standing on the field after his two picks cost Michigan the CFP vs. TCU to "soak in the moment" and then winning it this year on one leg (from Penn State onwards) with his head coach suspended for the biggest games of the regular season. 

I keep hearing that Michigan just rolled through the year without ANY adversity...

The sign stealing thing could have EASILY derailed their season, it was in the headlines for a MAJORITY of the year and as you mentioned, yes, they even won a big game without Harbs. That's not easy to do with college kids. Pros, not as big of a deal but in college it can't be understated how important the head coach is to the team, especially a guy like Harbaugh.

That team faced plenty of adversity which makes their run even more impressive, and a lot of that had to do with McCarthy's intangibles. He is a special kid and I hope he lands here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Well, if they took the group out to the right restaurant,  Daniels could have saved Peters and Co some serious cash. 

That's not a system that works well for the over 40 crowd. Let alone over 50 ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 40 I wouldn't run in track alas they didn't have that back then as a competitive race, if they did that would be my best one, the shorter the run the better I am.  But I would run a 40 and also the mile for the HS soccer team before the season in tryouts.  They'd time us for both.  My best with the 40 is 4.38.    I was usually somewhere around 4.4.  Which is very good by layman standards but nothing insane.  The mile I was good enough to usually but not always beat my soccer teammates but was not track worthy-- my best was usually somewhere around 5:30, I've beaten that time but that would be my average back then.  

Track at the 100, somewhere around 11 typically.  200 i don't recall but wasn't as good, somewhere in the high 20s.  My thing was the 100 and relays of the 100 (x 4).  Not much of a long distance runner -- am not bad at it but nothing great.  And I couldn't do hurdles.  

In the SB experience they clocked me about 4 years ago at 4.4.  But I know that's a BS time clearly they did not have the best clock. It felt to me like the low 4'5s.  But it was super cool to see that score flash at the end even though I didn't believe it.  :ols:   But it was my maybe last hurrah as to doing anything ahtletic, it was fun beating a bunch of teenagers including my son back then.  I know people's speed at one point tends to fall of a cliff.  It didn't at that point clearly for me but I might be getting there now because as I said my son beat me in a rematch. 😢

When I go running just about every day, twice a week I'll still do sprints.  I might have the balls to retest my son in a race.😎

Among other things when we get older our balance isn't the same so it hits you with sprints in particular because of the get off.  I've been working a lot on my hamstrings and some on balance exercises to see if I can keep it going.   

lol, probably too much information.  :ols:  Appreicate the comments but its nothing really crazy as for bragging. I've read other posts from people here who have gone much further than me athleticially.  For me its just some high school sports.  I know others here have done the same.  I believe some here played some college, too.  The most humble dude I always think is @KDawg, the dude coaches high school football for a living and we'd debate him X's and O's and that dude lives and knows X's and O's by a mlle more than I would guess anyone here.  Yet he almost never mentions he's a coach.

Bringing this to Jayden Daniels.  Yeah in my small way that I can relate from playing sports eons ago.   I'd play just about every sport recreationally.  And my go to move really in any sport is to use my speed.  And I enjoy watching dudes in all sports who are uber athletic -- especially uber fast.    And Daniels to my eyes is a blast.  The straight line running is BS.   He's elusive in open field.  He's elusive horizontally and laterally.   Cooley said he's a walking highlight reel and IMHO he's 100% right about that.

I think he has VERY good vision.  Look if you have the ball in open field, and you are dodging players on the left and then the right, on and on, eventually someone is going to catch you from a blind spot.   But the fact that he can get that deep and far on these runs is incredible.  

People can say as forcefully as they want that he doesn't see the field or is a straight line runner or whatever.  That's cool.  It has no impact on me.  Zero. I am not saying they should care about what i think.  To each their own.  But for me, I got no doubt his running is special.  And even people don't want to take my word for it -- just look at the numbers.  13 plus yards per scramble is insane.  Not just good.  Insanely good. 

He averaged almost twice the YPC that the electric RG3 ran for his last year in Baylor.  The best running Qb of all time, Lamar Jackson in college didn't match Daniels 8 plus YPC last season.   IMO if anyone went to Adama Peters and tried to explain to him Daniels' running is way overrated my best guess would be Peters would find it beyond laughable.

I enjoyed it. Ran track in high school, though soccer and football were my better sports (injuries ruined me for both though I've started to get back into soccer as a coach, football is way back in the past). 

You would have smoked me so thoroughly lol, though in fairness, I was the opposite, I ran on both relay teams, but was better at the 400, which required endurance and speed, rather than top end acceleration. For some reason I just liked the pain of the 400, to get more personal, it was such a thoroughly painful run, it felt so mental, to push through the agony in the final 100 to try and hold off a challenger or catch someone ahead of you, especially in relays, was just something I thrived on and loved. That phrase beautiful agony, or something like that captures it. I nearly passed out after one race, and was so angry at not catching someone as the anchor at a race at Woodside High School back in '91, I hit my thigh so hard with the baton the bruise stayed there forever. A lot of great memories. Its funny how sense memory works. Sometimes when the wind hits my ears in the right way, I'm transported to the mid eighties, standing in the batters box with my helmet on in little league, the air whispering its way through those ear holes in 80's era batting helmets, with track it was the feel of running into the wind at PAL's and CCS tournaments spring sunshine, 75-85 degrees, blue skies (that was just life in the bay), fresh grass, the scent of jasmine.....the blocks, the blocks stick out, but so does the cold metal of the baton and the pass, and the intense training for our relay teams before we would go to CCS in particular. So many good memories with it. My kid so far is not into baseball at all, my wife bans football (and why wouldn't she after the damage it did to my knee and left foot, let alone head injury issues) but our son has definitely taken to Tae Kwon Do and Soccer so far. Looks like baseball is going to fade away though I hope I can get him to play long enough to be competent in it at hitting, and fielding and throwing as its so much a part of growing up, at least in the past, and it appears my kid is faster than me, which is great (I was pretty fast, but my brother inherited my uncle's speed rather than me (he was a near Olympic level hurdler back in the 60s). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Y'all really about to make me analyze breakout year ages for every good qb since 2000

Why would we care about something that happened almost 25 years ago in this instance? There is a limit to the usefulness of old information given how much the league has changed. Look at the criteria Parcells used to use to draft QB’s. Would never give you an edge now, and you’d get tons of false positives who are not worth drafting highly. The game has changed a lot, player development has changed a lot, expectations for rookies have changed a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it just occurred to me that Adam Peters,  who got his start at tge Patriots, may have been hired by, or if not, at least worked with Scott Pioli.

Anyone know for sure???

They were both (together) with the Pats for five years. Granted at that point Peters was just a scout, but yes Pioli was directly involved with hiring Peters in 2003.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Y'all really about to make me analyze breakout year ages for every good qb since 2000

Just remember that the technical classification makes it easy (I think its like 50th or 60th in QBR), it's easier simply to look for the first: whoa nelly! type year lol. Quite technical, but yeah, a huge percentage of them typically began that process age 19-21, its highly unusual to hit and only do so very late. Even JUCO guys like Rodgers and Newton still had their explosion seasons at age 21 and 20 respectively. 

Interesting. BugundyBlog guy is not an insider, just a blogger, but he strongly thinks it’s Maye (again, just his opinion) 

edit: just remembered, BurgundyBlog guy started as a poster here many, many years ago. I remember because when he was starting his blog, he was soliciting feedback here on ES about the layout of his site and I sent him a PM 

Edited by Conn

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why would we care about something that happened almost 25 years ago in this instance? There is a limit to the usefulness of old information given how much the league has changed. Look at the criteria Parcells used to use to draft QB’s. Would never give you an edge now, and you’d get tons of false positives who are not worth drafting highly. The game has changed a lot, player development has changed a lot, expectations for rookies have changed a lot. 

Breakout age is a sign that crosses era's and times, though i would agree its even more telling back then, as the further you go back, the data gets smeared by redshirting which was used constantly with young QB's far more than today. But going back decades it remains true, a vast majority of elite NFL players and players that can win a spot in the league tended to show it early, period, and it becomes even more consistent as red shirting habits fall away over time. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Clearly he's an amateur hour redraft ff player lol. Definitely not into Dynasty. 

• Like 2