Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would find it genuinely concerning if it’s still a wide open ballgame at this stage in the process. 

You are college football talent evaluators. That’s your job. These guys have all been on the radar for 4+ years as potential draftable QBs, but for at least the last year or two, it’s been clear that these 6 guys were pretty much going to make up the 2024 class. 

You’ve watched every snap they’ve ever taken on the All-22, of course, dozens of times. But more than that. You’ve also watched all the film you can get of their practices. You’ve met with all of them at least twice. You’ve watched them at the Senior Bowl or the Combine or their pro day. You’ve talked to their college coaches and teammates. You’ve talked to opposing coaches and players. You’ve sent the PIs out to talk to everyone from their hometown and college town — their families, teachers, high school coaches/teammates, ex-girlfriends, one night stands, neighbors, cops, bartenders, best friends’ moms, the guy who ran the weight room.

You’ve crunched all the analytics and the player tracking data. You’ve had your doctors and biometrics people weigh in. You’ve crowdsourced via hundreds or thousands of discussions about them with your trusted colleagues from other teams. And you and the whole personnel staff have hopefully spent virtually every waking moment for the last half-year dissecting them from every angle. 

If you've acquired all that data and done all that analysis — and you’re still thinking that it will all come down to one day’s worth of meetings a week before the draft? That’s a problem. Frankly, if you learn anything “new” about them at those meetings, that’s sort of a problem, because it means your process was incomplete or inaccurate.

As it was termed by a poster yesterday evening, the job should be “someone’s to lose” by now. The meeting with that guy should just be about confirming what you already know.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Slightly off topic, but I just can’t get out of my head how transformative the VR thing could be to both quarterbacks and to teams evaluation of qbs.  

For evaluation purposes, connect the VR to a screen so coaches can see what the qb sees, input their college offense, and then throw in various defensive looks to test their processing/decision-making.   

And for qbs, the ability to essentially play full field without needing other players present - how massive is that?  Eventually you can microchip balls and put these guys solo on a practice field.  Better yet, give coaches control to set/redo plays - “try it again but with a bit more touch”, “this time without the heel click”, etc.  

Total game changer IMO, and those are just some off the cuff (relatively) basic uses.  I’m betting this explodes in the next several years.  

We should buy it. Copywrite it. And then prevent anyone else from using or benefiting from it. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Its not hard for me to imagine he becomes solid or good. I'm not scared in the same way I'd have been with Wilson or Ponder or Manuel or even Pickett where I literally could not see a way period, where they'd be anything other than bust. But, I also just don't see any way in which he should be rated ahead of Maye, or even some of the other guys in the class. There are too many signature alarm bells in his profile to justify a top 2 pick. Its crazy. 

I think part of it is the lake breakout stuff isn't as dramatic as you paint.   It's not as if he went from meh to great.  He went from good to great. I post here Daniels rookie season and the season before his last and Pickett's rookie season and season before last.

And if it really is crazy as you put it, why worry?  It won't happen.  Peters isn't a moron.  So if its a mornic move in your eyes, I'd sleep at night with no worries.

Personally I firmly want Maye at #2.  But am not in the camp that if they do it its nuts but if I did think it was nuts I wouldn't worry because even though i am not as authortative as some are here as to what's the right and wrong move -- I've read enough and heard enough about Peters that I know he's not an idiot.

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 11.34.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 11.34.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 11.35.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 11.35.14 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ghost of said:

Every time I see a chart like that it looks good for McCarthy. It's funny to see so many dismiss based on an eye test for games they ain't even watch but advanced stats show a well balanced performance in areas that would matter most. Combine with physical talent and mental makeup...

Well, he's going inside the top 10, probably inside the top 6, so he's almost certainly going ahead of where Herbert did. I think its pretty simple, there's data that's intriguing, but a really incredibly incomplete cv, you're basically taking a huge risk w/a guy with that limited a profile. He could hit a grand slam, but a single or strike out seems more likely. Id take him over Daniels via trade down though (but to be fair, I'd trade down over taking Daniels period in any scenario, maybe even Nix). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Not at all.

It's like the perfect zen moment, horses at one with the world, contemplating their navels amidst the constant farts. lol

Nice… Gonna try that explanation on my wife tonight while we’re laying in bed🤞

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

As it was termed by a poster yesterday evening, the job should be “someone’s to lose” by now. The meeting with that guy should just be about confirming what you already know.

I think that's exactly what is happening, in addition to Washington simply completing its 'process' - just like we saw with the HC hire. Feels like the exact same timeline; Daniels is Ben Johsnon, and Maye is Quinn, in this iteration. Lot of media buzz about Johnson/Daniels, while Keim keeps telling us to just hold on a sec there.

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We should buy it. Copywrite it. And then prevent anyone else from using or benefiting from it. 

It would be a patent thing but the tech has been around since like 2014. Case Keenum used it, the 49ers have had it for 10 years, James Winston had it with the Bucs. Im sure most teams tried it or have it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

No, it was from the article about Daniels using it (a German team testing/building it in conjunction with Daniels’ usage/feedback).  Or rather, not that I know of.  

I hear you, but I’m talking about imputing pro defenses.  The idea behind inputting their college offense (for evaluation purposes) is just to take that learning variable out.  

I haven’t heard of any other qb (college or otherwise)) using it - at least that company’s development was new/in progress, but that’s all I know.  

Obviously I don’t know what the Impact will be, but the potential is there to be completely transformative IMO.  

Taking this a step further, you could test college QB's pre-draft and provide a grade if this technology did develop into something useful.  Probably a while before that happens.

Years of testing before it solidified into a useful tool for evaluation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jayden is talking about what the teams will do for him and invest in him on and off the field and who will believe in him. It is a very entitled attitude. It’s not about coming in and working and proving himself to make the team better, it’s about what he gets out of it and what they will do for him.

Drake is talking about the glory days of the Pats and Washington and he specifically mentions multiple people by name and about helping getting them back there. Jayden does not mention people by name. They both are a little nervous. Maye does a shoulder shrug too often when he talks but comes across better in my opinion. Jayden is much more self centered and entitled. 

Another note regarding interviews. Drake and Caleb stayed at the combine and gave interviews to the NFLN broadcast. Jayden left early. Maybe he missed mom, was otherwise homesick or needed milk. Not sure. 

In fairness, sometimes you're just going to project something you aren't. I have to be social because of the nature of my work, but I definitely find it difficult as an introvert, and can definitely throw off vibes that are contrary to what I actually am like in person. Jayden supposedly is either shy, introverted or both, and if he is both, he's just not going to come off as well in interviews period because he'll be misread, period. Otoh, part of your criticism is based upon what he specifically said, and that is that, you can't change that, but part is also the vibe he gives off (the attitude), and that may just be misconstrued. I am curious if he's just shy or not, because, to put it bluntly, introverts, by nature, are going to be less likely to pursue positions like QB simply because of the social demands of playing it (unbelievably draining). 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Beat me to it. Well said. 

The only thing I'd add:

McCarthy--

Has everything you look for in a leader and communicator, comfortable and totally at ease on the podium. Truly, a rare find with respect to off the field qualities, charisma, character, sincerity, and likeability. Will immediately be a hometown media favorite.

Only question I have is the on the field stuff, and much of that is due to how he was used at Michigan.

He simply wasn't given the same opportunities that the other top 4 qbs had-- whether that was because the offense was dominant in the run game or because the coaches had doubts he could do it, is for others to judge.

Love that he accepted his role, never complained, and always found ways to win within the structure of his offense. True us, not me player.

Maye--

Confident, intelligent, sincere, but not polished. Perhaps slightly over energetic (possibly nervous tension), but he generally comes off as a good likeable guy which is important. 

Has a strange nervous tic where he lifts his shoulder spontaneously, but seems to be doing much better with this particular interview than in others I've seen.

(I notice that he now occasionally puts his arms behind his back and clasps his hands together, perhaps this was suggested to him to cut down on the shoulder shrugs?)

Think he will have no problems and be an exemplary team leader and spokesman for the franchise that drafts him.

Just not on JJs level as a communicator, but no other qb  in the draft is either.

Jayden--

Needs a lot of work. Was not very comfortable, which makes the viewer/audience subliminally uncomfortable as well.

Would benefit from speaker training, including body language techniques, voice projection, eye contact, and directed practice sessions with feedback.

That said, he was generally likeable, direct, and honest. He just needs more experience, better focus, and a better understanding of the intricacies of professional communication.

All of this is fixable, but he will definitely need to work at it.

• Haha 2

2024 NFL draft: Latest buzz, prospect rumors, mini-mocks

We're inside two weeks from Round 1 of the 2024 NFL draft. Draft boards are starting to firm up, team needs are becoming more clear and 257 prospects will hear their names called in Detroit over April 25-27. Along the way, intrigue around what every team is going to do on Day 1 is continuing to pick up.

We've heard a lot of buzz about early picks, standout players, potential trades and the quarterback market. So we asked NFL draft analysts Matt Miller, Jordan Reid and Field Yates to break down the latest intel from around the league.

Is Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy really in play at No. 2 overall? What should we expect on Day 2 trades? And which teams could use a true "best player available" approach in Round 1? We get into all that and then let Matt, Jordan and Field build perfect mini-mock drafts for three intriguing teams. Finally, our experts empty their scouting notebooks with what they're hearing, seeing and thinking.

Are you buying or selling J.J. McCarthy being in play at No. 2 overall?

Reid: Selling. I still think this decision for the Commanders is going to come down to LSU's Jayden Daniels vs. North Carolina's Drake Maye. McCarthy has created a ton of intrigue throughout the league during the pre-draft process, but the No. 2 overall pick is still seen as too high for such an inexperienced passer. He has less than half of the career pass attempts of Daniels and played in a run-heavy Michigan offense. So while McCarthy is still projected as a top-10 pick, I think No. 2 is just too high. The Vikings, Broncos or Raiders -- via trades up the board -- are viewed as more likely landing spots for him.

Miller: Buying. I remember the 2018 draft all too well, when every pundit expected Sam Darnold or Josh Allen to be selected No. 1 overall. Then 24 hours before the first round kicked off, news circulated that Baker Mayfield would be the pick. My point is teams do things differently than we all would and make surprise selections every single year. While McCarthy wouldn't be my pick -- he's my QB4 -- we don't know what Commanders owner Josh Harris, general manager Adam Peters and coach Dan Quinn want at the position.

As Jordan pointed out, McCarthy is inexperienced compared to Daniels (who would be my pick), but I can't rule out the possibility that Washington has fallen in love with McCarthy following his pro day and its time spent with him individually. I'll say it's unlikely right now that it would be a quarterback other than Daniels at No. 2 overall, but history has proved that nothing should be ruled out.

Yates: Selling. While we have all been around long enough to never say never, my belief is that the second pick in the draft will be Daniels or Maye. McCarthy will not have to wait long to hear his name called and has had a very impressive spring after an excellent season leading Michigan to a national championship, but I do not believe he will wind up at No. 2.

Propose a Round 2 trade that could make sense.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Reid: The Washington Commanders trading up from No. 36 into the end of Round 1 (or one of the first few picks of Round 2) to select either Oklahoma tackle Tyler Guyton, BYU tackle Kingsley Suamataia or Arizona tackle Jordan Morgan. With five Day 2 picks -- including Nos. 36 and 40 -- the Commanders can build a package to get the best offensive tackle still on the board late on Day 1. This OT class is arguably the strongest position this year, but as many as seven or eight could come off the board in Round 1. Washington has a glaring hole at left tackle after releasing Charles Leno, so I could definitely see the Commanders getting aggressive to land one. That likely means giving up either No. 67 or No. 78 to get it done.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4426348/jayden-daniels

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would find it genuinely concerning if it’s still a wide open ballgame at this stage in the process. 

You are college football talent evaluators. That’s your job. These guys have all been on the radar for 4+ years as potential draftable QBs, but for at least the last year or two, it’s been clear that these 6 guys were pretty much going to make up the 2024 class. 

Sheehan said he talked to two people who have been part of the process like this.

One said.  Prodays are confirmation biased.  We are heavily leaning this way but lets give it another spin to make sure

The other said prodays is big for QBs because that's your shot of being time with them on the blackboard running players and seeing how their minds work

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

In fairness, sometimes you're just going to project something you aren't. I have to be social because of the nature of my work, but I definitely find it difficult as an introvert, and can definitely throw off vibes that are contrary to what I actually am like in person. Jayden supposedly is either shy, introverted or both, and if he is both, he's just not going to come off as well in interviews period because he'll be misread, period. Otoh, part of your criticism is based upon what he specifically said, and that is that, you can't change that, but part is also the vibe he gives off (the attitude), and that may just be misconstrued. I am curious if he's just shy or not, because, to put it bluntly, introverts, by nature, are going to be less likely to pursue positions like QB simply because of the social demands of playing it (unbelievably draining). 

Maybe he just needs mommy holding his hand during interviews and on the sideline during game days to make him comfortable like during the Alabama game. 

He wants an NFL QB job and to be picked at top of the draft. Being shy or an introvert is not an excuse.  Around 10 guys on planet earth can do that job at an elite level any given year. The physical, mental and social aspects of the position all play into the ability to be successful.

If he is going to act aloof, go pout in his room when the team hits some adversity then the job isn’t for him. In that short interview he said being supported and invested in is the most important thing to him. To me that reads as don’t be critical and stand by me no matter how poorly I perform. That’s not how the NFL works.

His clapping back on social media is also a terrible sign. The dude has thin skin and is weak. He took no accountability for the failings at ASU. He has the makings of a self-absorbed diva who will make everything about him instead of the team. Hard pass for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2024 NFL draft: Latest buzz, prospect rumors, mini-mocks

We're inside two weeks from Round 1 of the 2024 NFL draft. Draft boards are starting to firm up, team needs are becoming more clear and 257 prospects will hear their names called in Detroit over April 25-27. Along the way, intrigue around what every team is going to do on Day 1 is continuing to pick up.

We've heard a lot of buzz about early picks, standout players, potential trades and the quarterback market. So we asked NFL draft analysts Matt Miller, Jordan Reid and Field Yates to break down the latest intel from around the league.

Is Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy really in play at No. 2 overall? What should we expect on Day 2 trades? And which teams could use a true "best player available" approach in Round 1? We get into all that and then let Matt, Jordan and Field build perfect mini-mock drafts for three intriguing teams. Finally, our experts empty their scouting notebooks with what they're hearing, seeing and thinking.

Are you buying or selling J.J. McCarthy being in play at No. 2 overall?

Reid: Selling. I still think this decision for the Commanders is going to come down to LSU's Jayden Daniels vs. North Carolina's Drake Maye. McCarthy has created a ton of intrigue throughout the league during the pre-draft process, but the No. 2 overall pick is still seen as too high for such an inexperienced passer. He has less than half of the career pass attempts of Daniels and played in a run-heavy Michigan offense. So while McCarthy is still projected as a top-10 pick, I think No. 2 is just too high. The Vikings, Broncos or Raiders -- via trades up the board -- are viewed as more likely landing spots for him.

Miller: Buying. I remember the 2018 draft all too well, when every pundit expected Sam Darnold or Josh Allen to be selected No. 1 overall. Then 24 hours before the first round kicked off, news circulated that Baker Mayfield would be the pick. My point is teams do things differently than we all would and make surprise selections every single year. While McCarthy wouldn't be my pick -- he's my QB4 -- we don't know what Commanders owner Josh Harris, general manager Adam Peters and coach Dan Quinn want at the position.

As Jordan pointed out, McCarthy is inexperienced compared to Daniels (who would be my pick), but I can't rule out the possibility that Washington has fallen in love with McCarthy following his pro day and its time spent with him individually. I'll say it's unlikely right now that it would be a quarterback other than Daniels at No. 2 overall, but history has proved that nothing should be ruled out.

Yates: Selling. While we have all been around long enough to never say never, my belief is that the second pick in the draft will be Daniels or Maye. McCarthy will not have to wait long to hear his name called and has had a very impressive spring after an excellent season leading Michigan to a national championship, but I do not believe he will wind up at No. 2.

Propose a Round 2 trade that could make sense.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Reid: The Washington Commanders trading up from No. 36 into the end of Round 1 (or one of the first few picks of Round 2) to select either Oklahoma tackle Tyler Guyton, BYU tackle Kingsley Suamataia or Arizona tackle Jordan Morgan. With five Day 2 picks -- including Nos. 36 and 40 -- the Commanders can build a package to get the best offensive tackle still on the board late on Day 1. This OT class is arguably the strongest position this year, but as many as seven or eight could come off the board in Round 1. Washington has a glaring hole at left tackle after releasing Charles Leno, so I could definitely see the Commanders getting aggressive to land one. That likely means giving up either No. 67 or No. 78 to get it done.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4426348/jayden-daniels

JJ is my 1B after Maye at 1A, @Skinsinparadise.  Both #36 and #40 can get us in the mid 1st.  If we could land Fashanu or Fautanu with trading both 2nds, I'm all in and then draft Rosengarten with one of our 3rds.  With Peters being great with mid/late round picks I expect trade downs with one of our 3rds, 4ths (if we get one or two in a earlier trade in the draft) and possible one of our 5ths.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

In Keims interview with Quinn they bring up analytics and specifically the P2S%. It’s just a small tidbit but the overall point is that they look at them (analytics in general) and then try to understand what happened. “Analytics in tap, not on top” is a direct quote of Quinn. 

Specifically about the P2S% he basically said it depends on what happened. He wasn’t super direct and didn’t say anything to end our argument, unfortunately. Did mention throw aways are good plays. Just throwing it up is not. Doesn’t like Hero Ball and that stuck out to me specifically cause all the prospects do it in one way or another. 

Funny to me it sounds like they are endeavoring to stay non biased until they know everything. Who the **** know this **** is stressful lol

That argument, needless to say, lol, doesn't hold water with me. The bad pressure to sack #'s come across 5 college seasons. Not 2023, not 2022, all five. At what point does context go out the window, and you have to admit: this is a flaw.

It's not like the dude is in like the 45th percentile, he's at the very, very bottom historically, period. You can't start writing a narrative to explain away the numbers at that point, that kind of trend line is sticky as hell at the next level. 

For Maye, it isn't great either, we already saw that Howell suffered at UNC and with us for a plethora of reasons of which he has to have some ownership of: he is poor at avoiding sacks, holds onto the ball too long and can run into sacks, and played with a crap offensive line. All those things factored him, some his fault, some not. Maye isn't much better than Howell was, though he is better. I suspect Maye will be below average or a bit worse than that at the NFL level, there's little evidence to suggest Daniels will be anything other than hot garbage when it comes to that metric at the next level. The fact that he improved to a "bad" Maye/Howell type level in '23 is again, not a selling point because #1 the people that fixate on that, are ignoring nearly 80% of his college career and #2 they're ignoring that he had peak talent available and peak opportunity to avoid mistakes in '23 compared to his prior seasons. He will not be playing in the same kind of dreamy, feathered cleopatra bed that he enjoyed last season, with us, or NYG, or New England in the NFL. All 3 of those teams are horse ----, all 3 of those teams lack anything like the playmakers he had at LSU compared to their competition and all 3 of those teams have poor to mediocre OL's and running games at best. 

Just yuck. I wish these guys at least sounded smarter, they do not. You can't cherry pick excuses for a metric like P2S when you're staring horrific #'s in the face for 80% of the career and subpar/below average for the other 20%....If I show up late to work 80% of the time, and occasionally late 20% of the time, my ---- is getting fired. They aren't interested in the narrative behind traffic, my 8 year olds frustration with his ipad, or my inability to find my backpack because someone put it behind a swinging door....they're just moving on. This kind of stuff strikes me as silly. It would be one thing if it was one season, and there were a ton of injuries, and a bad supporting cast, or his OL sucked etc based on every metric, but it isn't, its 5 seasons, with a manifold of different and largely strong supporting casts. Weak Sauce, period. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You’ve watched every snap they’ve ever taken on the All-22, of course, dozens of times. But more than that. You’ve also watched all the film you can get of their practices. You’ve met with all of them at least twice. You’ve watched them at the Senior Bowl or the Combine or their pro day. You’ve talked to their college coaches and teammates. You’ve talked to opposing coaches and players. You’ve sent the PIs out to talk to everyone from their hometown and college town — their families, teachers, high school coaches/teammates, ex-girlfriends, one night stands, neighbors, cops, bartenders, best friends’ moms, the guy who ran the weight room.

You’ve crunched all the analytics and the player tracking data. You’ve had your doctors and biometrics people weigh in. You’ve crowdsourced via hundreds or thousands of discussions about them with your trusted colleagues from other teams. And you and the whole personnel staff have hopefully spent virtually every waking moment for the last half-year dissecting them from every angle. 

If you've acquired all that data and done all that analysis — and you’re still thinking that it will all come down to one day’s worth of meetings a week before the draft? That’s a problem. Frankly, if you learn anything “new” about them at those meetings, that’s sort of a problem, because it means your process was incomplete or inaccurate.

I kinda sorda agree and it gives me some concern with this regime. They took forever to hire a HC too. I get doing due dilligence but at some point you nut up and make a decision or you get blinded by decision paralysis. I hope AP isn't like this. I don't think he is with how furious he attacked FA.

I think they definitely have a preference right now and after the pro day, they will know 100% sure.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

All it will take for McCarthy to be the pick is for Adam Peters to say "this guy is Brock Purdy" after he visits.

Just going off of body language from the Prodays, I think it's a safe bet he prefers Daniels or Maye.

Yeah but Purdy walked into literally one of the best possible situations a rookie QB could be thrown into. We aren't close to the 9ers in terms of roster makeup, remains to be seen with coaching but Shanny is no slouch there either. Even if McCarthy gives AP Purdy vibes he has to know that Purdy definitely wouldn't have had the same level of success here that he's had in SF

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

That argument, needless to say, lol, doesn't hold water with me.

What argument? I was telling you what Dan Quinn said. I made no argument in that post. 

1 minute ago, Kalu44 said:

Peters mentioned on the latest Keim interview, that he like a QB with a ton of experience, so that would point to Daniels over Maye.

He also supposedly told Daniels he is a 5th round talent. So there is that. 

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Yeah but Purdy walked into literally one of the best possible situations a rookie QB could be thrown into. We aren't close to the 9ers in terms of roster makeup, remains to be seen with coaching but Shanny is no slouch there either. Even if McCarthy gives AP Purdy vibes he has to know that Purdy definitely wouldn't have had the same level of success here that he's had in SF

Sure.  But there is some special sauce in Purdy, and he offers a model of how a QB can be successful translating to the NFL (and early) that Adam Peters has had direct experience with.  If he gets deja vu when he talks to McCarthy, then that's a pretty compelling reason to draft him.

I don't think that's how we're leaning, but I wouldn't rule it out.  It's hard not to see similarities between the two.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He also supposedly told Daniels he is a 5th round talent. So there is that. 

True. That will be an awkward conversation if we draft him, especially after JD keeps pounding the point about wanting to be drafted by a team that believes in him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Peters mentioned on the latest Keim interview, that he like a QB with a ton of experience, so that would point to Daniels over Maye.

Trey Lance had basically one year of experience. 

• Haha 2