Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I don't disagree with the premise that Jayden and McCarthy would be the more likely to be ready on day 1 and Maye has the most upside.

A.  Daniels.  As Logan pointed out his running can be used as a crutch as he figures the rest of it out.

B.  McCarthy.  Plays a pro offense now.  I think he's the cleanest off platform thrower of the three which should help him initially.

Why I think Maye has the most upside and I agree with dudes like Paulsen and Bullock on this who were once in the camp that Daniels should be the guy but now lean Maye...

A.  He makes IMO the most wicked throws of the bunch.  And he does it on all three levels. 

B.  He's the best at varying the speeds on his throws in this group

C. Best thrower in between the numbers, 2nd level, which is a staple trait in the NFL

D. His age -- just 21.  McCarthy too on that front.  More room to improve versus them peaking now.

E.  His size-frame should in theory help his durability.  It's not about weight purely.  It's about frame.  McCarthy put on some pounds this off season which I like but during the season he looked to be around 200 pounds, ditto Daniels

F.  Daniels and McCarthy had everything working in their favor.  Great protection.  Daniels had elite receivers.  McCarthy had an elite running game and nothing was on his shoulders.  Maye had to carry the team on his back

The idea that Maye is inaccurate isn't correct.  Inconsistent at times yes.  Misses some easy ones at times, yes.  But this dude isn't like name that inaccurate raw college prospect over the years like Jake Locker or even Josh Allen.   

He had an insane year his freshman season at 20 years old which is insane.  He didn't even play the seasom before in HS because of COVID.    He's oozing with talent.  And I like that he played with a crap O line and supporting cast last season -- trial by fire.  Some of his detractors like to say he failed that trial by fire but he clearly didn't fail he just wasn't as good with everything working against him.

This segement below with Brugler might be the best I've watched about these QBs.  No hot takes.  Nothing crazy.  And he dives deep into all 4 QBs.  Lots of detail, very entertaining.

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 4.05.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 4.06.34 PM.png

maye.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I think the Josh Allen (lite) comparison for Drake is pretty spot on. Big, strong armed QB's that have a natural ability to make plays, but needed some time to improve as a passer. Drake doesn't have the same obscene athleticism as Allen, though very few do, but the similarities are there. As a regular guy football fan, Maye excites me the most as a prospect. I think he has a higher ceiling than Daniels or McCarthy, even if he might have a lower floor (slower release, spotty accuracy at times). I do trust our competent staff and talented GM to be able to develop a QB properly, so I don't mind if we draft a more raw prospect at #2.

Not a fan of Daniels overall. The slight frame would give me nightmares every time he takes a shot. I do love his lightening fast release though. The ball pops out of his hand quick. Maybe it's just that he reminds me of RG3, and that PTSD hasn't healed.

• Like 1

Split crowed here on Daniels/Maye.  

1. It's lying season still up till draft day.  I think it's Maye all the way. JMO.  

2.  Will be disappointed if he's not the pick.  

Daniel's crowd will feel the same way.  I get it.  :)  

• Like 1

Just read an NFL.com article by a writer who said he thinks the Commanders are going to pick JJ McCarthy.  Could just be another off base hunch by the writer.

Not sure he has heard anything from reliable sources representing the Commanders.

• Thanks 1

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

Just read an NFL.com article by a writer who said he thinks the Commanders are going to pick JJ McCarthy.  Could just be another off base hunch by the writer.

Not sure he has heard anything from reliable sources representing the Commanders.

Nobody has gotten anything reliable from Commanders sources, not even the "usual" guys who had access to previous regimes. Whoever the rando NFL guy is is just making **** up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, illone said:

What number will JJ wear since #9 is retired?

😁

Can't wait for the crying when we take him at #2 for the people that haven't looked into the numbers/ analytics of JJ. He is the real deal. Every bit as good as Daniels and Maye. He will look good in #8 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

What's the basis for your assertion that it's easy and achievable within a three-month timeframe?I strongly disagree; it's much harder than some people make it out to be.I often liken changing natural motor mechanics as a passer to adjusting shooting form in basketball.

From my experience, most people struggle to change their shots, and those who succeed often take a long time. They have to be incredibly dedicated and somewhat obsessed with the process to make it happen.

Moreover, those who do manage to change their shot usually believe deep down that the change is necessary; it's not something they do just because someone else tells them to.

It's often overlooked how challenging it can be to convince someone that they need to change their mechanics, especially when they're poised to be a top 3 pick, have likely secured generational wealth for their family, and have experienced significant on-field success. Even individuals who come across as amiable in interviews may resist this process, and it's not necessarily right or wrong for them to do so. It's a highly nuanced and layered situation.

Well I think "good place" and "easy and achievable" may not be the same thing.  I think Maye's footwork, when not running for his life, is "fine."  It could be better sure but it's not terrible, so it's a reasonable starting point.  It will be a process, but I don't think it's being built from nothing.

As for his willingness to learn, I think Maye will be very open to it.

After every missed throw during his pro day, he apparently re-ran the throw again to get it right, which is what pushed his throw total up a bit.  Generally speaking he's never come off as a diva, really none of the QBs have, but there's a clear willingness to go back and work on fixing his mistakes, which bodes well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

F.  Daniels and McCarthy had everything working in their favor.  Great protection.  Daniels had elite receivers.  McCarthy had an elite running game and nothing was on his shoulders.  Maye had to carry the team on his back

The idea that Maye is inaccurate isn't correct.  Inconsistent at times yes.  Misses some easy ones at times, yes.  But this dude isn't like name that inaccurate raw college prospect over the years like Jake Locker or even Josh Allen.   

He had an insane year his freshman season at 20 years old which is insane.  He didn't even play the seasom before in HS because of COVID.    He's oozing with talent.  And I like that he played with a crap O line and supporting cast last season -- trial by fire.  Some of his detractors like to say he failed that trial by fire but he clearly didn't fail he just wasn't as good with everything working against him.

I want Maye and agree with just about everything you said and quoted in that... very detailed post 😋

EXCEPT some of the ideas/things in the small-ish quoted excerpt.

Daniels and McCarthy didn't have *everything* working in their favor. Daniels had the pressure of playing with the worst-by-a-mile defense of any of the top QB prospects, almost constantly under the gun to score-or-else. McCarthy was playing for a team with a bullseye on its back every single week; everybody they played wanted to take down Michigan/Harbaugh, just about every game was "The Big Game" for the other team.

In addition, I see a reference to Michigan's "elite running game" but nary a peep (see what I did there, Hoppy Easter!) about the fact Maye's sidekick in the backfield was 1,500-yard All-American RB Omarion (I'm proud of myself for not calling him Ontario again, sigh) Hampton, 5th in the nation in rushing yards, who led the ACC in every major rushing stat and was one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award. Maye DID NOT "carry the team on his back" - we have to concede he had more than a little help there, especially when we've got folks bending over backwards to credit the success of Daniels and McCarthy, at least in big part, to teammates.

I also take issue with "inconsistent at times." Maye was consistently inconsistent for two full years. Good games mixed with meh-or-worse games both years (and coming up small in the biggest games, even in his breakout 2022 season, referencing the trial-by-fire criticisms); and multiple breakdowns/analyses of Maye have referenced a disturbing tendency toward headscratching decison-making and inexplicably-bad throws - which I am not convinced, as apparently is the case for at least some analysts, can all be laid at the feet (ha, I did it again, see that... okay sigh) of bad mechanics.

Notwithstanding those concerns, despite those concerns, no matter how we want to phrase it, I am super pumped about the possibility Washington drafts this still-very-young stud with, as Jerod Mayo put, "no ceiling."  I'm not convinced the decision-making can be coached out of him, but with his talent/ability it'll be exciting no matter what.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Can't wait for the crying when we take him at #2 for the people that haven't looked into the numbers/ analytics of JJ. He is the real deal. Every bit as good as Daniels and Maye. He will look good in #8 

Where can I find these numbers / analytics?

28 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

We'll take McCarthy at #2 when big beards actually fly.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

First of all, most posters I read here that favor Maye have stated, repeatedly, that a JD pick is still something they can be excited about and optimistic. Two or three I can think of would be more concerned with his durability, but still acknowledge his top level talent.

Second, the "can't wait for the crying" sounds like a troll from someone with a bit of an antagonistic attitude towards their fellow es'ers.

The implication that "they" haven't "looked into the numbers" seems gratuitously, insultingly, and even stupidly presumptuous. Few here haven't looked into most everything as you could tell if you're coherently following the conversation.

Nothing wrong with your support for JJ, imo, even if it's a minority take in this forum.

Next time try going with less of the other crap.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

JJ's a late riser.  He might be good, he has a decent amount of things going for him, but he's untested.  He's lived a charmed college life.  At times he's been a passenger in Jim Harbaugh's car.

Does that mean he can't succeed?  No, he very well might, but I'd be concerned about the lack of adversity.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.  Daniels and McCarthy had everything working in their favor.  Great protection.  Daniels had elite receivers.  McCarthy had an elite running game and nothing was on his shoulders.  Maye had to carry the team on his back

This to me is the biggest reason to stay away from JD and JJ - both had unbelievable talent surrounding them.  JD was incredibly pedestrian until the move the LSU with an all star WR corps.  Both receivers he had are likely going in the first round.  Did Maye play with anyone going in the top 3 rounds?  I don’t think so.  

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

JJ's a late riser.  He might be good, he has a decent amount of things going for him, but he's untested.  He's lived a charmed college life.  At times he's been a passenger in Jim Harbaugh's car.

Does that mean he can't succeed?  No, he very well might, but I'd be concerned about the lack of adversity.

Untested as in he wasn't asked to pass a ton? No he wasn't. But when he was asked to step up and not just against lackluster talent mind you. He showed he can do it. And do it on the big stage. Where a lot of his competition/opponents will be playing on Sunday. He is actually one of the best when he is tested (under pressure) with D-lineman in he face. This board underrates him in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

This to me is the biggest reason to stay away from JD and JJ - both had unbelievable talent surrounding them.  JD was incredibly pedestrian until the move the LSU with an all star WR corps.  Both receivers he had are likely going in the first round.  Did Maye play with anyone going in the top 3 rounds?  I don’t think so.  

I've seen some people say Tez Walker could go as high as the 3rd round, but I don't see it at all. All he has is speed. His route running sucks, he's not a particularly fiery competitor, and he has stone hands with some terrible drops. I think he's more like a 6th or 7th rounder that a team will take a flyer on just to see what they can do with his speed.

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I thought I was all alone on JJ island 🏝️ 

Welcome!

The crying will be temporary. Everyone will quickly assimilate all of our new draft picks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me this is a two horse race between Maye and JJ. 

I remove daniels completely out of the discussion for many reasons, but mainly situational. He fits better on a team with a more complete roster, like Minny, Atlanta, Raiders or Saints…

Not a team like Washington that is undergoing a complete culture overhaul. 

If this team was a QB away I’d include him, but my view is that it’s going to take a few years to right the ship and GMAP/DQ will want a younger guy with upside they can mold. 

JD is much closer to a “finished product” imo. 

Just a theory, anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Maye had an all American running back, 1 receiver took in the 3rd last year and another going in the 3rd this year.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Not sure if this is what you were referencing, but after reading your post I snooped around NFL.com and they have a new mock draft that has us taking JJ.

The most important info in the short blurb on our pick is their parenthetical admission that their sources are "not affiliated with the Commanders"

In other words, they don't have a clue what we're going to do. 😃

Here are the first 4 picks, all qbs....

Screenshot_20240331_182822_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b12fc791bc8f110757a265b222193184.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_182834_Chrome.jpg.063f174eaa471f8e4aefbab925bbd644.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_182854_Chrome.jpg.21347838fd3328942e033d1424c366ac.jpg

Screenshot_20240331_182911_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fe415dfd2c4937150ecc247a6cc67238.jpg

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2