Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's such a lazy take that because Kingsbury had Murray in Arizona that he prefers a dual threat QB. Here are the QB's he has had since becoming an Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach:

Case Keenun

Johnny Manziel (1400 yards rushing in 2012- This is the exception)

Davis Webb

Patrick Mahomes

Nic Shimonek (Mahomes replacement who had -66 yards rushing in 2017)

Alan Bowman (-26 yards rushing)

Jeff Duffey (369 yards rushing)

One of these QB's was a dual threat. The rest were all mobile QB's who were a passer first and could scramble when needed.

Edited by actorguy1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

I'm cool w/ any of the big three but JD has too much going in his favor for me not to lean in his direction.

The mechanics are simply superb, both throwing and footwork. He does not make his own job harder.

Then he has the best proven and consistent accuracy and is the best decision maker as a passer which is huge.

He is by far the best under pressure in a world where the other top prospects struggled. I don't expect him to face less pressure in the NFL, so knowing he put up a 120+ passer rating when the heat was put on is a nice security blanket.

Plus, SEC supremacy does not hurt. Doing it against a good spread of NFL talent vs doing it against guys who are gonna be bagging groceries in a few months means more to me. 

Like everyone he's got his problems to fix. He's gotta protect himself better and throw more when breaking the pocket being some of the major ones, but that is fixable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's such a lazy take that because Kingsbury had Murray in Arizona that he prefers a dual threat QB. Here are the QB's he has had since becoming an Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach:

Case Keenun

Davis Webb

Patrick Mahomes

Nic Shimonek (Mahomes replacement who had -66 yards rushing in 2017)

Alan Bowman (-26 yards rushing)

Jeff Duffey (369 yards rushing)

None of these QB's was a dual threat. They were all mobile QB's who were a passer first and could scramble when needed.

And it also ignores the fact that his only real options were Rosen or Murray.

It's not.like there was an abundance of tall pocket passers available, you had daniel jones and he would have been the reach of the century at 1.

• Like 1

I want the best qb for our team, whoever that is--- period.

I'm committed to staying open minded and objective and not allowing my personal feelings or wishes to influence my judgement or to cast aspersions on forum members who may have a different opinion.

With that in mind here's a Saturday potpourri of vids from multiple sides of the debate

----

First off, a former fan of Jayden Daniels now is convinced that Drake Maye is the better choice and he has good reasons for his conversion...

A little something for those supporting McCarthyism...

I really like this kid (JJ), not at 1.2, but I do like him and see the possibility of something special in him.

So I understand why some people here would consider him earlier in the draft than I would be comfortable taking him (right now).

XXX

Finally here's Mel's latest mock draft...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Daniels' 2023 season didn't happen by accident, it was no fluke. The kid worked his butt off, *and* explicitly led his teammates to improving in the process. Seems like some people want to credit a big chunk of Daniels' success to the talent around him, when the exact opposite appears to be true: Daniels made everyone better.

It seems like a shame that his insane innate desire to win didn’t kick in until just now. 

Imagine if he had discovered his deep-seated obsession with being the best before his 5th season as a college starter — he’d probably be playing in the pros right now, rather than the middle 60% of his career being perceived as overwhelmingly disappointing. And I’d wager that guys like Herm Edwards, Ricky Pearsall, Johnny Wilson, Curtis Hodges, Kayshon Boutte, etc., probably wish that they’d gotten the chance to work with the version of Jayden that makes everyone around him better and explicitly leads his teammates to improve.

Sorry to be a smartass, but after a while these narratives start to wear thin. If working super hard is what made all the difference, why wasn’t he always working super hard? Gives a bit of “contract year” vibes, doesn’t it? Joe Whitt had a great line in his intro presser, where he said that if you can decide to work harder on demand, you weren't working hard enough to start with.

I suspect Jayden always worked hard and wanted to win. I think he’s probably a great kid. I can believe that he committed himself totally before his last year — but I think the outcomes/results are causing the actual extent of the intangibles to be overblown and exaggerated. LSU was a perfect storm on offense last year, elite OL play and elite receiver play, along with a QB who played amazingly in his 5th year as a college starter (after FSU, that is). Attributing the play of all those different units and players to “Jayden really decided to bust his butt and they followed him” is vastly selling short their individual talents and contributions, in my view.

If you like and accept the narrative that Jayden was the rising tide that lifted the ship of guys like Nabers, Thomas Jr, Lacy, Taylor, Campbell, Jones, etc., that’s fine. Though I will say, most of those guys were already really good prior to this past offseason, so the timeline doesn’t exactly hold up there.

Given that the likelihood of him being our pick seems higher today than ever (thanks Breer), I hope you’re right on this. I hope it’s a totally accurate narrative and he has super-elite intangibles that these other kids — both of whom became legit stars much earlier than he did — can’t match.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm cool w/ any of the big three but JD has too much going in his favor for me not to lean in his direction.

The mechanics are simply superb, both throwing and footwork. He does not make his own job harder.

Then he has the best proven and consistent accuracy and is the best decision maker as a passer which is huge.

He is by far the best under pressure in a world where the other top prospects struggled. I don't expect him to face less pressure in the NFL, so knowing he put up a 120+ passer rating when the heat was put on is a nice security blanket.

Plus, SEC supremacy does not hurt. Doing it against a good spread of NFL talent vs doing it against guys who are gonna be bagging groceries in a few months means more to me. 

Like everyone he's got his problems to fix. He's gotta protect himself better and throw more when breaking the pocket being some of the major ones, but that is fixable.

Jesus ****ing Christ on a hoverboard. How you have seemingly missed pretty much everything that's been discussed and explained on here about issues with Daniels (especially his incredibly questionable performance under pressure) is absolutely beyond me and, to be frank, is borderline impressive because you have to try to be that obtuse.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I’m going to have to disagree with these two paragraphs especially. His style under pressure has been beaten to death, so I won’t rehash that again in this post. The decision-making comment, I’m assuming, you are basing off of his completion percentage, but that fails to take into account that he was given a much simpler menu of options to work with. 

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

:ols:

Dan Quinn: "Look, I can't say this for sure, but I think it's quite possible to envision that Ill walk out my door tomorrow and the sun will still be there and the sky will be blue"

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jesus ****ing Christ on a hoverboard. How you have seemingly missed pretty much everything that's been discussed and explained on here about issues with Daniels (especially his incredibly questionable performance under pressure) is absolutely beyond me and, to be frank, is borderline impressive because you have to try to be that obtuse.

Let’s keep friendlier than this please. It’s entirely possible to discuss which shiny new QB we want amicably. 

• Like 2

SEC supremacy in a year where a B1G team sent Saban into retirement, a team of 2 5 star recruits beat a team with 20+ in the semifinal, in a down year,  where arguably 2 other conferences were better and 3 probably had better prestige ooc wins. The year after without a cheap shot vs MHJr, Ohio State certainly beats a great Georgia team for the title. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

Let’s keep friendlier than this please. It’s entirely possible to discuss which shiny new QB we want amicably. 

Sorry, my bad. I just get frustrated with what I see as the same lazy takes being repeated again and again. I'll pull it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sorry, my bad. I just get frustrated with what I see as the same lazy takes being repeated again and again. I'll pull it back.

That's all this thread has been for the last 50 pages for each QB 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Here's a pretty interesting PFF article that uses "stable" metrics to help evaluate which prospects are most likely to do well in the NFL, based on the last two seasons' worth of college analytics.  

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-2024-nfl-drafts-quarterback-class-stable-metrics

How 2024 NFL Draft's quarterback class stacks up in stable metrics

This series focuses purely on the key stable metrics that translate more often than not from college to the NFL.

• This list includes all 15 quarterbacks from the PFF big board but does not provide any weight to projected draft capital, competition level or their overall ranking, though that context will often be provided.

TOP QBS IN PFF PASSING GRADE FROM A CLEAN POCKET SINCE 2022

TOP QBS IN PFF PASSING GRADE ON STRAIGHT DROPBACKS SINCE 2022

TOP QBS IN PFF PASSING GRADE ON FIRST AND SECOND DOWNS SINCE 2022

TOP QBS IN PFF PASSING GRADE WITH NO PLAY ACTION SINCE 2022

TOP QBS IN PFF PASSING GRADE ON ATTEMPTS BEYOND THE STICKS SINCE 2022

TOP QBS IN LIMITING NEGATIVELY GRADED PLAYS SINCE 2022

• North Carolina’s Drake Maye leads the way: Maye is expected to be a top-two pick in this year’s NFL draft, boasting strong stable metrics.

• Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels avoid red flags across the stable metric board: Both players are ranked among the top four at their position, and they maintain that ranking across these stable metric categories.

CONSENSUS RANKING USING ALL STABLE METRICS SINCE 2022

Rank Quarterback PFF Big Board QB Rank
1 Drake Maye, North Carolina 2
2 Bo Nix, Oregon 4
3 Jayden Daniels, LSU 3
4 Jordan Travis, Florida State 9
5 Sam Hartman, Notre Dame 11
6 Caleb Williams, USC 1
7 Michael Penix Jr., Washington 5
8 J.J. McCarthy, Michigan 6
9 Michael Pratt, Tulane 7
10 Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland 12
11 Kedon Slovis, BYU 14
12 Joe Milton III, Tennessee 10
13 Spencer Rattler, South Carolina 8
14 Carter Bradley, South Alabama 13
15 Devin Leary, Kentucky 15

-------

Also, to help fill in at least one of the blind spots mentioned by PFF above (competition level):

Average Strength of Schedule rank 2022-23 per ESPN College Football Power Index:

Caleb Williams: 25
Drake Maye: 64
Jayden Daniels: 9.5
JJ McCarthy: 17.5
Bo Nix: 39
Michael Penix: 30.5
Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

That's all this thread has been for the last 50 pages for each QB 🤷‍♂️

Well, that needs to end for a while.  Call it a friendly moratorium.  I’m sure things will get crazy again because we men feel very strongly about these things and have little control over their emotions, but we must endeavor to try. 

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Technically the sky is purple. That's all. Have a nice day. 

It's neither. It has no inherent color. Blue and purple are just scattered more than other colors. 

• Thumb down 1