Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Wonderful, let's hope his pro coaches can help him improve in those areas. None of these guys are finished products and have plenty of room for improvement. 

You can't fix his frame, bro.  No one can.  He is built the way he is.  He won't last long in the league.  Pros are light years ahead of LSU and the SEC.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

You can't fix his frame, bro.  No one can.  He is built the way he is.  He won't last long in the league.  Pros are light years ahead of LSU and the SEC.  

We'll see, it appears that the scouts disagree with you considering he's going to be a top pick. Of course they've been wrong before so we shall see how the story unfolds. 

1 minute ago, dunfer said:

which is called holding a clipboard for a season or two

That or he'll rely a ton of his running. Daniels isn't necessarily a "1-read-and-run" QB, as I have seen him go through progressions in some of his cutups. But he also has a historically low amount of throws once he breaks the pocket.

There was a tweet posted where he was ranked something like 193 out of 196 qualifying college QBs since 2018 in that stat. So when he breaks the pocket he often tends to just lower his eyes and run instead of looking for guys downfield and making off platform throws.

And as others have noted, the more running a QBs does, the statistical likelihood is that he's eventually going to get injured. 

• Like 1

Breer is no clown. I would assume this is what other teams expect them to do versus the sources being from the team.  But considering Keim said something similar, I gather that's the smoke on this for the moment.

But like Keim said he doubts they have made a decision, these guys are methodical, weigh all info types and they haven't done pro days-team visits yet

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His point woulda been mostly fine if the headline didn't butcher it.

Physically, Maye does compare better to a Burrow than a Mac Jones.

Loses some points for his reasoning on pulling Mac Jones only to follow it up w/ another guy of the same ilk tho. Shoots his reasoning in the foot, even if he is Patriots media and has a familiarity with Mac.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

His point woulda been mostly fine if the headline didn't butcher it.

Physically, Maye does compare better to a Burrow than a Mac Jones.

Loses some points for his reasoning on pulling Mac Jones only to follow it up w/ another guy of the same ilk tho. Shoots his reasoning in the foot, even if he is Patriots media and has a familiarity with Mac.

Yeah for me i don't give a rats behind about the comps, am more interested in the rumors where these guys are expected to go.

2 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Sorry @Est.1974 lol

The Colts were 100% to the finish line in their decision to draft Elway at this point before the draft and the Chargers were 100% in on Eli Manning. The red flag is for the player to discover not the team. 

Caleb should be offended they aren’t a 100% there already and refuse to play for a lame duck coach and 101 year old owner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

We'll see, it appears that the scouts disagree with you considering he's going to be a top pick. Of course they've been wrong before so we shall see how the story unfolds. 

Love Daniels and everything about him! :) Put him in Maye's body and he's stay in one piece.  Whoever Peters and Co. draft, I support all the way.  He (Daniel's) is much smarter than RG3 is or will ever be and more talented.  If he's the pick I'm in but my concerns have been put out here on ES.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with you. It is uncanny how much Maye reminds me of Herbert. The occasional "WTF was that pass" included. Herbert had many of the same footwork issues Maye has now as well. 

The only difference I note is Herbert was a four-year starter, but I definitely didn't see him turning into one of the top guys. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

I looked at weights of QBs from HS to College to Pros a couple weeks back, and generally people of lower weight (sub 195ish) added the most weight from HS to College gaining usually something like 15-20 pounds and then adding another 10 to the pros.  Bigger guys around like 210 in college, added a little both times but not a ton.

IIRC the most anyone ever added in one segment was like 25 pounds.

Which is where the problem for Daniels comes in.  His HS weight was 175.  His LSU website listing says 210, but that's pretty suspect.  If he truly went from 175 to 210, that'd be a 35 pound increase and by far the most from HS to College.  It's not impossible, but it seems kinda unlikely.

And if his playing weight is 200, it's hard to know how much more he can pack on.  People have added weight from college to pros, but it's not always "good" weight.

Also he's 23, so he's maybe less likely to add weight to frame due to age compared to a younger 21 year old true junior.

Then we add in that QBs 205 and under generally don't succeed in the NFL because they're just too light.  Injury risk aside, they're too easy to yoink down for 240+ pound DEs, and will struggle to stay upright against even 200 pound CBs/Safeties coming in, whereas a 225 pound QB might be able to shake them off.

It's not to say that a sub 205 QB can't succeed in the NFL.  We used to think a QB of Russell Wilson's size was just wayyyyy too small, and we've seen how that went.  But the odds would be stacked against him.

The LSU pro day is HUGE for him.  Right now I have his weight as a yellow flag/Question mark, and his arm as a yellow flag/question mark.  He could either clear those up...or turn them into red flags depending on how things shake out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

And yet the pros are filled with more players from that conference than the others. I get your point that the NFL is more advanced than the SEC and college in general, but you can't deny there are many players in the league from Power 5 schools, and the SEC has more national championships than the other conferences in the past ten years. Daniels is skinny by football standards, and he needs to avoid taking hits, but that seems to be the only valid criticism.    

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-06/colleges-most-players-nfl-opening-night-rosters

5 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

And yet the pros are filled with more players from that conference than the others. I get your point that the NFL is more advanced than the SEC and college in general, but you can't deny there are many players in the league from Power 5 schools, and the SEC has more national championships than the other conferences in the past ten years. Daniels is skinny by football standards, and he needs to avoid taking hits, but that seems to be the only valid criticism.    

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-06/colleges-most-players-nfl-opening-night-rosters

You take out the Mannings and you have to go back to Joe Namath to find an SEC QB who won a Super Bowl with the team who drafted him. 

The SEC is a lot of hype until they get to the NFL. Kinda like the SEC basketball teams in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, NOLA2DC said:

Have you literally ignored the other criticisms about his game that have been explained and repeated here multiple times?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Which was unfortunately compounded by the issue of Robert not being any good as an NFL passer and having no value outside of read option. I really don’t blame Shanny. The options were to keep running read option, have a chance of winning and hope that Robert might eventually figure out that stepping out of bounds or getting down is a good thing if you keep telling him over and over and over and over again or we pretend like he can play in a traditional style and have no chance of winning and he is also getting his ass destroyed in the pocket because he looks like one of those big inflatable guys outside the car dealerships, flailing around with no idea how to protect himself so what’s even the point.

Yes.

Curiously enough the Ngata injury was a clear example of RGIII staying inbounds for no particular reason instead of just stepping outside the field.

Bad luck caught up to him and to us since we're searching for our franchise QB

(we never really believed in Cousins)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NOLA2DC said:

That is, it.  That's his ONLY criticism.  He can't take the shots the big dogs are going to put on him. We both know it.  That's my concern.  He's straight up talented and love the guy!  Seriously.  SEC is the best hands down but you said about the Pros being more advanced and when the dogs come to hunt, they are out for blood.  If we do draft Daniels, Peters and Co. to include most especially the coaching staff need to ensure he can slide before contact properly and coach him up to be the best and he's protected.  

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Also, a freak accident that happened to RG3 too.  Eventually, the system he was running, ala 7 from the 9ers was running caught up to him and would've caught up to RG3 had he stayed healthy but again no slide, you're going to get broke in two just like Daniels, eventually.  It's inevitable, at least to me and it's a shame.  I've explained and posted about Daniels and his frame already so I will stop here. 

i see the same thing.

Daniels looks way to thin and can't imagine him absorbing a similar amount of hits as RGIII. 

• Like 1