Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

No clue about this guy's credibility but he claims we're offering the most for Danielle Hunter

Might have posted this in the wrong thread!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

No clue about this guy's credibility but he claims we're offering the most for Danielle Hunter

Would definitely like to see that. Have talented guys rotating in and out always a fresh guy to hunt the ball

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Why would Oregon schedule their pro day for Day 2 of free agency?

The 8:00+ min video I watched of him on YouTube he looked polished and good, but you’re 100% right, not a very good time frame knowing that GM, HC, etc would be in the war room with FA going on….

Edited by Command The 414

22 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Confused... does the Mariota signing mean Howell is the PS, trade later, let go? Just not getting it right now.

Option 1: (not popular) Trade down and Howell starts. 

Option 2: Keep Howell in case your #2 pick is not as good as he was supposed to be and you start Howell since 2025 QB class is no good. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just spitballing, no serious analysis: You're absolutely drafting a QB at #2. You've decided you want three on the roster.  You see enough in Sam (won't detail those reasons; just the obvious ones in the pro column  of pros and cons of sam) to keep him as one of three.

You let the process leading into next season determine who is where in the chart. No big deal ( this assumes discussion of this with Sam and Mariota either have happened or will soon).

This would be an easily arguable choice.

Not the only choice that could be argued, but an absolutely reasonable one.

In the meantime, with Mariota signed, this still allows openness to a trade of sam if an attractive one presents itself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Just spitballing, no serious analysis: You're absolutely drafting an st #2. You've decided you want three on the roster.  You see enough in Sam (won't detail those reasons; just the obvious ones in the pros and cons of sam) to keep him as one of three.

You let the process leading into next season determine who is where in the chart. No big deal ( this assumes discussion of this with Sam and Mariota either have happened or will soon). This would be an easily arguable choice. Not the only choice that could be argued, but an absolutely reasonable one.

In the meantime, with Mariota signed, this still allows openness to a trade of sam if an attractive one presents itself.

I agree on the later trade if it there is one. I heard the Giants maybe interested in Howell but that was hanging somewhere on the grapevine. At least the trade will be within Howells rookie contract so another team can absorb it. In the meantime...

I'm still not sure why Mariota is so confusing. If we assume they went into the offseason knowing that they wanted a veteran QB on the roster, whether they keep Sam or not, and that they're almost positive that they'll take a QB at 2, then he makes sense.

They said they like mobility, he's mobile. They wouldn't be looking for a long term starter or to pay an enormous contract, so guys like Kirk and Mayfield are out. There's Tannehill but we don't know what kind of contract he's looking for, and he probably wants a longer term contract and to be a starter. Wilson was probably never a go. Brissett probably also wanted to go somewhere else so he could compete for the starting job. Winston and Minshew got snatched up pretty quick. Mariota is relatively cheap, he's ok with a 1 year backup type deal, he's mobile, he's apparently a good team/locker room guy.

What exactly were the other options considering all of those factors?

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

When did KK indicate that we're going to run a bunch of read option?

He didn't and he does not have to.

Our top offensive brass has historically done a lot with QB runs.

Mariotta is a QB that does not limit the playbook in terms of OB runs.

His presence means that a heavy QB run centric offense could be run if desired. 

It does not mean they will, but it leaves the window open if so desired rather than working against it like a less athletically inclined signing would.

6 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Cousins pick was especially weird because we took him relatively high in the fourth round.

He was not a 6th or 7th round flyer. A high fourth rounder is a spot where you still have hope of drafting a starter/high end backup/special teams stud. We took a QB knowing that we were going to be insanely short of draft picks going forward.

The Cousins pick was entirely Mike Shanahan walking around Ashburn with a large erection demanding that people stare at it.

I propose a perma ban for that imagery.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He didn't and he does not have to.

Our top offensive brass has historically done a lot with QB runs.

Mariotta is a QB that does not limit the playbook in terms of OB runs.

His presence means that a heavy QB run centric offense could be run if desired. 

It does not mean they will, but it leaves the window open if so desired rather than working against it like a less athletically inclined signing would.

Both Maye and Daniels are outstanding runners. Daniels more so of course, but you absolutely can design RPO type stuff around Maye. 

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm still not sure why Mariota is so confusing. If we assume they went into the offseason knowing that they wanted a veteran QB on the roster, whether they keep Sam or not, and that they're almost positive that they'll take a QB at 2, then he makes sense.

They said they like mobility, he's mobile. They wouldn't be looking for a long term starter or to pay an enormous contract, so guys like Kirk and Mayfield are out. There's Tannehill but we don't know what kind of contract he's looking for, and he probably wants a longer term contract and to be a starter. Wilson was probably never a go. Brissett probably also wanted to go somewhere else so he could compete for the starting job. Winston and Minshew got snatched up pretty quick. Mariota is relatively cheap, he's ok with a 1 year backup type deal, he's mobile, he's apparently a good team/locker room guy.

What exactly were the other options considering all of those factors?

And he was the backup QB for our whatever Brian Johnson’s official title is (Looks it up), ah yes, Assistant Head Coach and Passing game Coordinator, who was Mariota PAC last year at the Eagles.  

This is somewhat similar to Kyle brining Grossman from the Texans and Al Saunders bringing Todd Collins with him from the Chiefs.

They wanted a vet QB.  They have gotten a backup QB they are familiar with.

Theres nothing to see here.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Both Maye and Daniels are outstanding runners. Daniels more so of course, but you absolutely can design RPO type stuff around Maye. 

Yes they are and indeed they can, I said as much on the previous page.

The rub is not that one guy can do it and the other cant.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Why would Chicago send a sizable contingent to Bo Nix's pro day? Makes no sense unless they're trading out of #1 overall.

or they didn’t, or they did but it wasn’t to look at Nix but another player they think is a find, or they did to make people think they might trade out to entice a deal, or……Lyin’ Season

• Like 2

Only in this fan base would some argue that Mariota is closer to Maye than Daniels as a comparison, which is pretty wild. It seems like some people are really losing it over their preference for one guy over the other.

I'm fully on board with Daniels as my preference, but I'm also in a total honeymoon phase with the front office and trust whatever decision they make. 

• Thanks 1

I'm down to keep Howell but I'm hoping Denver and Minnesota create a competitive bidding environment for him. It will depend on how they evaluate Sam vs. the Tier 2/3 QB prospects coming out this year.

If the best we can get is a 6th then why not keep him and roll with 3 QBs on the roster?

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Only in this fan base would some argue that Mariota is closer to Maye than Daniels as a comparison, which is pretty wild. It seems like some people are really losing it over their preference for one guy over the other.

I'm fully on board with Daniels as my preference, but I'm also in a total honeymoon phase with the front office and trust whatever decision they make. 

Mariota is a guy who's more likely to break the pocket, scramble, and then find a guy down the field to get the ball to than to immediately tuck it and run, though he can and will if nobody is open. That's how Maye is. Daniels breaks the pocket and many times almost immediately lowers his eyes and runs. IIRC he had a extremely low percentage of times when he threw after breaking the pocket. There was a tweet posted in here where he was something like 193 out of 196 qualifying QBs since 2018 in that stat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Mariota is a guy who's more likely to break the pocket, scramble, and then find a guy down the field to get the ball to *but be so wildly inaccurate with any throw that has to travel more than 8-10 yards in the air that you and everyone else rooting for either team is ashamed to be watching and fervently wishes he'd just pulled it down and run, or slid, or tripped on his own feet and face-planted because even that would have been less horrifying*

Fixed it for you 😋

• Like 1

FYI, Oregon has a lot of other highly touted prospects besides Bo Nix. I've heard it wasn't poorly attended, and teams generally sent their offensive staff to look at it. According to NFL.com, Oregon has 7 draftable players. At least two of which (besides Bo Nix) are getting some Round 1 hype. Troy Franklin and JPJ.

• Like 1

It’s going to be really interesting seeing what happens with Howell. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Peters is discussing how he sees him.  I like the prospect of Mariota being our QB2 over Howell. Mariota isn’t going to be throwing lots of picks. You can really go run heavy with Mariota using his legs as a weapon to keep games close in a pinch if our starter is out for a stretch. You want your backup to be safe with the ball, and manage the game, Sam just isn’t that guy.