Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

40 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I could still see Las Vegas as a possibility, but it's probably Atlanta since he's toward the tail end of his career and I think his wife is from Atlanta. 

Cousins was born in Chicago and is a lifelong fan. Nice way to round out his Career.

Bit yeah as @Warhead36states, no chance.

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ah you see my line of thinking don’t you….

Yea Im picking up what you are putting down. I dont see it happening but it would be a hell of a turn of events for us. 

17 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Cousins to Chicago would be a horrendous decision. 

Coaches and front office will be gone after this season, barring several miracles. And since they don't play a Rivera-coached team multiple weeks in the season, they're probably toast.

• Like 1

Watched a lot of Maye & Williams this year due to the hype before the season. Was almost always underwhelmed with Maye and would find myself making excuses, probably believing the hype/narrative around him. Definitely willing to defer to those that know, scout, and study prospects professionally, of course. I'm not a box score guy, don't weigh stats too heavily. If the talent is weak around the QB, I'm looking to see if they can make chicken salad out of chicken s*** and not dinging them cuz they didn't throw for 40 TDs. Just didn't see a lot of "wow" stuff over and over with Maye, unlike Williams and Daniels where it seemed commonplace. 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea Im picking up what you are putting down. I dont see it happening but it would be a hell of a turn of events for us. 

ATL bound by all accounts. Kirk is a FA genius.

• Thumb up 1

Guess the Russell Wilson situation now blows the whole "we can't drop this guy until such and such a date because of dead cap" excuse. 

The broncos are paying wilson 40 million to play for their competition while the steelers are paying him basically nothing.

Crazy.

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

ATL bound by all accounts. Kirk is a FA genius.

He has a skillset that only 15 other people on the planet can claim. Don't have to be a genius to get paid for it, honestly. Just have to be greedy enough that nothing else matters and they will come to you. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Guess the Russell Wilson situation now blows the whole "we can't drop this guy until such and such a date because of dead cap" excuse. 

The broncos are paying wilson 40 million to play for their competition while the steelers are paying him basically nothing.

Crazy.

Not really, I think after a year looking at the roster, Payton probably felt a tear down was necessary and he could eat the russell cap hit to get out from under the contract in one already lost season. In the same way that some teams eat bad contracts in the NBA, to get assets, basically Payton decided to eat the bad contract for a year to get the hell away from Wilson early and speed up the rebuild. Denver wasn't making the playoffs in '24, no matter what they did, that's why they offloaded underperforming disappointment Jeudy as well. He's tearing down stuff and must have gotten owner approval for a lost "tank" season. The only problem is he did it a year too late, he should have more aggressively tanked immediately but I guess he didn't realize what the Wilson data from '21 and '22 meant (that he was toast and that the Wilson trade was idiocy). The '25 QB class looks at best, "meh," so it will be interesting to see how they try to address QB this offseason? Go after a bridge guy, trade down for Nix or Penix, trade up for JJ or try to get to #3? Probably impossible. Next years class is just not a class that will give you what you need at QB beyond sheer randomness (I can see one or two of those guys possibly hitting, maybe Sanders, maybe Cam Ward), but figuring out which Meh guy to spend a top 5-15 first round pick on will be difficult, and hitting on them even moreso. 

Edited by The Consigliere

26 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Crazy.

That really is a crazy situation. Anyone involved in that trade and contract should be unemployed at this stage.

40 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Crazy.

May be more along the lines of "When you hire Sean Payton you're agreeing to let him do whatever the **** he wants"

And if Payton doesn't like you, you're as good as gone, regardless of the circumstances. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He has a skillset that only 15 other people on the planet can claim. Don't have to be a genius to get paid for it, honestly. Just have to be greedy enough that nothing else matters and they will come to you. 

I always laugh when people call pro athletes greedy.

The NFL makes billions. BILLIONS.

You'd rather the owners pocket the money?

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is it impossible for two money-grubbing entities to be greedy at the same time?

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Quarterbacks aren't just about making plays on the field – they've got to hustle off it too. Working hand in hand with their teams, they've got to be savvy with the cash to build and maintain a winning squad. It's not just about throwing touchdowns; it's a financial playbook for long-term success.

Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen chose to invest in and anchor themselves with their franchises, aiming for consistent long-term success. Just think about it – if these guys had signed 2-3 year guaranteed deals, the potential money they could rake in would be staggering.

It's a partnership until it's not, and eventually, it might become as transactional as NBA superstar dealings. It's not about right or wrong, just not my preference.

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen chose to invest in and anchor themselves with their franchises, aiming for consistent long-term success. Just think about it – if these guys had signed 2-3 year guaranteed deals, the potential money they could rake in would be staggering.

Mahomes got like $500 Mil and Allen is getting paid too.

No professional athlete should ever take less money. Get what you can get while you can get it because once that window shuts, it shuts for good.

Loyalty doesn't mean jack. As soon as you get hurt or your performance drops off, those teams are gonna want that money back.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No doubt, and these players on aggregate die, what, 20% earlier than the average human in the country, and increasingly experience life ruining CTE symptoms as they grow older. I begrudge them nothing. Hell even their contracts are fake bull---- (compare the giant pile of money Strasburg has made the past four years, and will continue to be paid for never pitching again, for the most part, after the World Series win, as compared to say, the concept of the dead cap hit: the Broncos decided Wilson sucks, so that contract which was to run from '22-'28, suddenly just covers '22-'24, what happened to the money? Poof, '25, '26, '27 and '28 were funny money bull---- and disappeared). You've got pampered bunk pseudoathletes, with admittedly supply and demand rare skills like baseball players who also get paid absurdly, and unlike football players, they have little long term health problems other than knees w/catchers, arms with pitchers etc, nothing that shaves off life expectancy by 20-25%. If there's a group of players I want to grab the bag every time in sports of any group, its football players. 

Edited by The Consigliere

Also, the best players absolutely need to make as much as they can because they're the standard setters and the more they get, the more everyone else can get.

For example Mahomes gets $50 Mil a year. That means the next guy can get somewhere around $40-45. But if Mahomes only takes $40, the next guy can only get $30-35 and so on.

A rising tide lifts all boats and there's enough fish for everyone.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

You misunderstand; I don't care what he does with his money or what the NFL does with theirs. This game has a salary cap, though, so his pay directly affects the on the field product. I call him greedy but I can come closer to center with endearing vocabulary, if that's the hang up, and say he is prioritizing the well being of his family. Which no one will argue with lol. You don't have to defend him or athletes. I'm not trying to say he is a bad person only that he is prioritizing getting paid over getting a SB. That's it. 

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Also, the best players absolutely need to make as much as they can because they're the standard setters and the more they get, the more everyone else can get.

For example Mahomes gets $50 Mil a year. That means the next guy can get somewhere around $40-45. But if Mahomes only takes $40, the next guy can only get $30-35 and so on.

A rising tide lifts all boats and there's enough fish for everyone.

Sure. Whatever you have to tell yourself. Kirk Cousins and Pat Mahomes are taking all those millions for the little guy lol. 

Do we really need to litigate this? It should be accepted by now that if you pay a guy 40% of the money for the entire team then he has to do 40% of the work to get to and win a Championship. One guy does it and one guy doesn't. It cant be more clear. We have argued this for years with Cousins and I have been proven right again and again. Money is a resource to make your team better. He takes up ALOT of the resource. If that's for the little guy, fine. As I said IDC. But its not easy to win that way unless the guy is worth it. Kirk so far isn't.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Society issues a greater allowance for greed to barons and elites since, as personifications of greed, they're entitled to behave in accordance with their nature.