Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Bengals busted on Akili Smith. They shouldn't draft Carson Palmer. Or Joe Burrow.

The Ravens busted on Kyle Boller. They shouldn't draft Joe Flacco. Or Lamar Jackson.

the Bills busted on EJ Manuel and JP Losman. They shouldn't draft Josh Allen.

The Texans busted on David Carr. They shouldn't draft CJ Stroud.

The Chargers busted on Ryan Leaf. They shouldn't draft Phillip Rivers. Or Justin Herbert.

Yeah this whole "high 1st round busts exist, therefore trading down is best" theory is just flat out bizarre.

35 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Caleb isn't a puppet or anything like that but dad is super involved.

The father is all about maximizing the Williams brand.

It's been that way since at least HS.

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing either.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d prefer all football, all the time.  Brand after you do something.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

And stroud cemented himself as a top 2 pick by throwing, most guys had him ranked #1 because he threw.

Stroud made an interesting choice last year, skipping all the testing and just throwing, but it definitely paid off, he went from top-10 prospect to 1-2 prospect after what virtually every scout/analyst said was one of/the best throwing session(s) ever at the combine.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-buckeyes-cj-stroud-nfl-combine-throw-jaxon-smith-njgba-draft

"C.J. Stroud is having one of the best throwing sessions I've seen at the Combine," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweeted Saturday.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2024/2/29/24083859/rewatching-c-j-strouds-immaculate-nfl-combine

"Considering the majority of the top-tier QBs such as Caleb Williams and Drake Maye won’t throw at the Combine, it makes Stroud’s performance all the more glamorous. They know they can’t repeat his spectacle and don’t want to damage their current draft value. Meanwhile, Stroud can look back on his performance and point to a singular moment in time where the past would become the present."

13 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Just relax man and let the process play out, stop studying tape that you're not getting paid to watch lol. At the end of the day we have sharp minds in the building who can figure this thing out!

I look back at Shuler and Ramsey and Campbell, and RGIII (who I'm still fine w/a trade up for), and Haskins and I just don't trust anybody implicitly. This is a team that has drafted and developed only one QB that came close to franchise level talent since the Great Depression. I'm all out of trust.

Of course I don't trust myself either, other than sniffing out busts, I have zero track record of consistently sniffing out hints, so, who the hell knows. I know I like Maye more than Daniels and am flummoxed at people who prefer Daniels, but w/my track record of hits, the only bit that's meaningful is that Daniels gives me significantly more bust vibes than Maye. That being said, I view these guys as the best guys we were in position to draft since probably 2004 and I like them a bit better than I liked Rivers or Ben Roth back then. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bantu said:

The second tweet in this response, coupled with how he has conducted himself with the 76ers, etc. should be enough reason for everyone to not freak out over this news. But, I completely understand where naysayers are coming from and have to admit the optics aren't great...

... Now back to your regular scheduled programming of posters roasting each other about their QB opinions 

The guy made his billions managing the money of other billionaires and millionaires. His ownership team is damn impressive. It’s one of the biggest assets the team currently has. He knows how to sell a vision of success. Our stadium sucks, our facilities suck and our name sucks, but our ownership team doesn’t. Having him in the room is a plus in my opinion. Until he proves he is directly meddling and not helping, he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

40 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

The difference is at your pro day, you are in control of the entire situation. At the combine there is a bigger risk of failure, especially with the qbs throwing, maybe not as much for the measurable activities. 

During game day, the situation will never be comfortable and controllable.

Yeah, I spelled out the first part of your post in mine.  The second part touches on what I was referring to and is a good point.  

29 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I wouldn't be against the combine, for the vast majority of QB prospects it serves as a great platform, alongside the Pro Days.

But for the select few who are in a position to not need the boost a combine would bring (the Williams, Maye and Daniels of the world) there just aint much reason to do it.

True enough, I meant my comments to be in regards to if I were McCarthy’s agent (or any of the top guys), but good point that the reward outweighs the risk for others.  Your point about a platform is spot on as well - you’re not as likely to have whole contingents at a pro day, and I didn’t factor that aspect.  

Not directed at you guys - Is it true that combine throwing influenced Stroud and Richardson’s stock, or is that more speculation?

32 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I like Maye, Williams despite his superior athletic abilities raises too many red flags imo, I question his maturity. I tend to favor above average athletes who will outperform due to their superior mindset over top athletes who lack maturity/mindset. In the end I trust this FO/coaches to make the best choice.

I don't think that's a Lincoln Riley issue because many college offenses are player-centered and depend on their guy to make a play, particularly when the guy is gifted athletically. You have to ask what type of system a guy ran in college and adjust it to the pros. Lincoln has had a lot of improvise QBs but Mahomes was one of them.

Why do you say Caleb has maturity issues? He's not the Johnny Manzel type, and he's managed to be the highest-paid college guy without incident. Ironically, the SC guys usually are more prepared for the bright lights than most guys, even though their QBs have a questionable history.  

Just now, skinny21 said:

Not directed at you guys - Is it true that combine throwing influenced Stroud and Richardson’s stock, or is that more speculation?

I think the effect it had on Stroud was probably somewhat negligible. He was already considered a likely top 3 pick for the most part. As far as Richardson, I think it was his entire combine workout. He's such a freak of nature athlete that I'm sure it helped someone decide to take a huge chance on him as such a high pick.

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know. We saw what happened with RG3 with an overbearing father. What if he starts questioning the playcalling or scheme? There are just too many bad possibilities.

Again, I'd still take him at #2 overall, but the concerns are legitimate.

And yet everyone supports Harris being in on the QB interviews after years of slating Dan for interfering. Let’s have some consistency in stand points.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe Harris has a thing for shoulder cartilage just like Peters?

I wanna know if he was sitting at the table or watching from the closet.

lol

Yeah, its not much of a question what positional direction we are trying to go here.

I also get the bad optics given our past but him being there is overblown in terms of being a negative.

It will probably net a bigger reaction if he shows up a pro days and we get visual proof of him interacting w/ prospects. Prepare for that backlash.

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know. We saw what happened with RG3 with an overbearing father. What if he starts questioning the playcalling or scheme? There are just too many bad possibilities.

Again, I'd still take him at #2 overall, but the concerns are legitimate.

They already hired his college coach to run the offense in anticipation of moving up to draft him. That ship has sailed. 

Just now, Est.1974 said:

And yet everyone supports Harris being in on the QB interviews after years of slating Dan for interfering. Let’s have some consistency in stand points.

It's also historical precedent.

Harris has a history of not interfering in direct sports operations. He picks great people to do that and let's them do it. He sets the long term strategic vision of the team.

Historically there have been bad things associated with helicopter dads in pro sports. Interfering, causing distractions, causing controversies, etc. A bunch of **** that's really not helpful to the team or to developing a young player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Richardson's stock definatly saw a DK Metcalf effect. Exploded at the draft.

Part of that is that he had space to explode tho.

Top guys can't blow up if your at the top. People were dang near fainting over RG3's combine, but he had nowhere to go vertically.

Just now, mistertim said:

Harris has a history of not interfering in direct sports operations. He picks great people to do that and let's them do it. He sets the long term strategic vision of the team

Very fair point.

I think he’s also in the room to gain first hand assurance before sanctioning a major trade….:bye:

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Very fair point.

I think he’s also in the room to gain first hand assurance before sanctioning a major trade….:bye:

Anything is possible. Harris would certainly have to give his approval before something that big goes down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Veretax said:

Yes, but I'd also note bears sources are putting out more smoke screens than Cerrato and Bruce Allen combined right now.

Okay,  I've been an 'okay I'd trade down camp for a while, mainly because I imagine three teams will try to trade up, with Atlanta, Minnesota being 2 of them.  But is anyone else scared of the Giants Drafting Daniels?  Do you feel the same about Maye?

I swear that graphic alone might be enough ammo to make me sit and pick the best guy at #2 because of that.

The owner has a hard on for Daniel Jones.  Plus, Daboll is on the hot seat; is he going risk his job going with a rookie?

Giants may take a flier on the lower tier qbs and gave them sit, they are going with Jones this year.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don't believe Harris sitting in on interviews is the same thing as Snyder literally making draft picks from his yacht.

Now if Harris does step in and say "we are drafting XYZ", then yeah, that'd be problematic.

But until then, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

The owner has a hard on for Daniel Jones.  Plus, Daboll is on the hot seat; is he going risk his job going with a rookie?

Giants may take a flier on the lower tier qbs and gave them sit, they are going with Jones this year.

I think the Giants have a great shot at getting Maye

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Listening in to an interview and interferring are two wildly diffferent things. 

I don't have an issue with Dan listening to the interview with Haskins.  I do have an issue with Dan overriding his scouts and saying we are taking Haskins.

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening in to an interview and interferring are two wildly diffferent things. 

I don't have an issue with Dan listening to the interview with Haskins.  I do have an issue with Dan overriding his scouts and saying we are taking Haskins.

Agree. The point is everyone is jumping to conclusions on Caleb’s dad. No benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the same pause should be given on that subject too.

• Thumb up 1