Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

35 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The team don’t know yet - so much of the process still to come. So even if John had a direct line to Peter’s he couldn’t know either.

You really think so? I know the final decision hasn't been made, but I'm sure Peters, Quinn, and Kliff were all asked about their preferences in the hiring process. Peters probably had access to Niners' evals on the QBs, and he immediately gets access to our evals. I just think it's about crossing the "ts' and dotting the "i"s at this point. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

What I'm talking about is that saying "X QB beat Y QB" means zero as far as being a good QB. ****ty QBs have "beaten" HoF QBs before. It's an utterly meaningless statement because QBs don't play each other. They play the other team's defense.

Does the Burrow led offense beating the Chief's defense mean that Burrow is better than Mahomes?

How dare you downplay the legend! He beat the great Tom Brady with one of the longest drive in NFL history!!!

t-shirts-men-heavyweight-t-shirt-1,black,print-2023-05-29+f243f4de-f84f-46e6-a21b-1afa30df59e5,2d2d2d.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

You really think so? I know the final decision hasn't been made, but I'm sure Peters, Quinn, and Kliff were all asked about their preferences in the hiring process. Peters probably had access to Niners' evals on the QBs, and he immediately gets access to our evals. I just think it's about crossing the "ts' and dotting the "i"s at this point. 

This is a crucial regime defining decision. They will have initial grades at this point and probably a pecking order but I would think (hope!) they will get deep into the top 3 and probably top 5 QBs during the combine plus individual visits. I don't think anything is even close to final at this stage.

All that said I am one who says that what your scouts grade players during actual games should have more weight that what happens in shorts t-shirts during the post season. Its the interviews and in person stuff that is crucial on top of the in-season scouting IMO. You want to try to find out what kind of person you are getting - is he going to be the first in and last out and how does he process information etc etc.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This is a crucial regime defining decision. They will have initial grades at this point and probably a pecking order but I would think (hope!) they will get deep into the top 3 and probably top 5 QBs during the combine plus individual visits. I don't think anything is even close to final at this stage.

All that said I am one who says that what your scouts grade players during actual games should have more weight that what happens in shorts t-shirts during the post season. Its the interviews and in person stuff that is crucial on top of the in-season scouting IMO. You want to try to find out what kind of person you are getting - is he going to be the first in and last out and how does he process information etc etc.

Yeah. I mean, I think seeing them in person might help if there are questions about velocity or whatever but these scouts were also at the games so saw it in person then too. 

I think the combine and pro days are just to answer any questions about height or weight. And then the interviews for how they process information, how they explain a down year in 2023 or why they transferred, address any character concerns, leadership, etc. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Its the interviews and in person stuff that is crucial on top of the in-season scouting IMO. You want to try to find out what kind of person you are getting - is he going to be the first in and last out and how does he process information etc etc.

Kliff probably: I heard you spend a lot of time playing Hello Kitty: Rollerskating adventure?

Draft Prospect: I do not! I play big boy games!

Kliff: I KNEW IT! Get him outta my sight! You disgust me!

I wonder how Kliff will feel about JD using VR to train?

920a30fd-3504-47d4-931d-f2fa104c82d7_text.gif.51c6980e01eea282327d38c4d2453085.gif

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yeah. I mean, I think seeing them in person might help if there are questions about velocity or whatever but these scouts were also at the games so saw it in person then too. 

I think the combine and pro days are just to answer any questions about height or weight. And then the interviews for how they process information, how they explain a down year in 2023 or why they transferred, address any character concerns, leadership, etc. 

You think meeting someone in person you are about to stake your professional future on might help?

Its not about velocity or mechanics its trying to get a sense of the person. Get between his ears - what are we getting here, is this someone I (the coach) can work with? How will he fit in the locker room? The in person visits are a crucial part of the process for any player but especially a QB. Having said that just like any other interview process (and I do a lot) you don't really know what you are getting until you have them inside the building.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Bloody Hell people have long memories of posting history in this place :rofl89:

Back in 2009 you posted something really stupid. Don’t think we’ve forgotten it. 😀

Dammit, Dah-Dee beat me to it (and did it better).

Edited by London Kev
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don't disagree, and I feel like the bulk of the eval has been completed. I'll assume that most of us have been in the hiring process at regular jobs, and the personal interview is the last step, but you usually have a ranking in your mind before the interview.  The way these kids are prepared nowadays, I don't expect any of them to fail a one-on-one interview; as if they were going to select Maye, but Daniels blew them away, so they took him. In most instances, the interview confirms what you've already heard. If Maye is the guy you like,he'll probably be the choice unless something unforeseen happens, like a trade in front of us.   

Edited by NOLA2DC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

What I'm talking about is that saying "X QB beat Y QB" means zero as far as being a good QB. ****ty QBs have "beaten" HoF QBs before. It's an utterly meaningless statement because QBs don't play each other. They play the other team's defense.

Does the Burrow led offense beating the Chief's defense mean that Burrow is better than Mahomes?

Such a profound statement. One QB doesn't beat another QB, they beat the team. I never knew that. 😁

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Preferred Option 1 - Trade up for Williams

Preferred Option 2 - pick Daniels at #2 and also bring in Russell Wilson on a 2 year deal.

Preferred Option 1 - Don't trade up, keep picks and draft OL

Preferred Option 2-  Pick Maye at 2 and have Howell as backup with both on  rookie deals

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Preferred Option 1 - Trade up for Williams

Preferred Option 2 - pick Daniels at #2 and also bring in Russell Wilson on a 2 year deal.

I can't get a read on what the market will be for Russell Wilson. Is this a year where he becomes a high level backup or will teams still see him as a worthy starter?

I think I'd rather just bring Jacoby back

4 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Such a profound statement. One QB doesn't beat another QB, they beat the team. I never knew that. 😁

And yet some people still bring it up as if it has any meaning with regards to QB talent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

You can't take an offensive lineman 2nd overall in a quarterback rich draft even if you don't need a quarterback. 

The pick is too valuable to do that, in essence you'd be using multiple first round picks and a second or 3rd on one offensive lineman.

If that were the preferred option you gotta trade down first.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yes, and I don't see this FO spending draft capital to bring any player in.

If the team happens to get some offers for Sam I say take them and get a hopeful draft pick out of it.  You bring Jacoby back as a veteran and groom the #2 pick.  Get value for Sam now.

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I can't get a read on what the market will be for Russell Wilson. Is this a year where he becomes a high level backup or will teams still see him as a worthy starter?

I reckon he’d be a very valuable asset in 2024. Everyone is thirsty for a rookie QB but I think the bigger picture/strategy is being missed. This is a medium-long term approach. As you might have pointed out, nothing wrong with a rookie sitting and learning for a while.

Wilson and Quinn are very tight. 

20 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Get your Crow Recipe's ready fellas! This incessant debate will be interesting about a year from now when 1-2 of these top3 QB's bust. 

1 year is not enough time to decide somebody is a mega bust, but yeah, somebody is highly likely to bust, hell in '18 and '99 nearly all of them looked like busts after a year. 

Interesting to think about what they'll have to work with: Chicago has a line, crappy run game, and decent WR's, Washington has no line, 1 WR, and no true athletic weapons on offense, and a nice if unathletic grinder rb, New England is a total ---- show on offense, they've got nothing except grinder rb's. I feel really bad for whatever poor ------- ends up in New England, at least Chicago can give a QB some WR's, a decent OL, and adequate if uninspired rb's, and Washington has McLaurin, and Robinson, but New England? Literally nothing, which is part of the reason, probably, why Mac Jones regressed. 

Just now, Fred Jones said:

Yes, and I don't see this FO spending draft capital to bring any player in.

If the team happens to get some offers for Sam I say take them and get a hopeful draft pick out of it.  You bring Jacoby back as a veteran and groom the #2 pick.  Get value for Sam now.

Wilson is getting released I reckon. 

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Wilson is getting released I reckon. 

If so, do you really want the drama?  Jacoby is serviceable until the rookie is ready to play.  Wilson today is not the same Wilson of Seattle.

Also, Jacoby will be cheaper.

Edited by Fred Jones

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Preferred Option 2-  Pick Maye at 2 and have Howell as backup with both on  rookie deals

Option 2 would be a disaster IMO. 

If we pick Maye we must, absolutely must, bring in a vet. You can not have two QBs with mechanics/footwork issues that have only had any success or experience in a very simple offense. 

• Haha 1