Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

I think sometimes you have to have people who've really watched these guys as COLLEGE observers. I mean, the NFL got Brady wrong but I didn't (no, I didn't anticipate GOAT status, but I thought he'd be a really clutch performer and a great pocket passer...he was).  It's probably why I'm hesitant to really bash Williams, Maye or Daniels (I do it with Daniels because it amuses me to tussle with BB and ThatNFLChick) because I don't think I can really say. I can say there are aspects I don't like, or think are warning signs but I don't really know. But what I do know is that I have this sinking feeling that teams are going to regret passing on McCarthy.  Think about it this way---QB scouting is a lot better than 1999-2000.  No way Todd Husak should have gone above Brady, I don't care about 40 times, anyone who watched college should have known this (Skins picked Todd btw lol).

This means your future "Brady" gets drafted in the first 2 rounds instead of round 6 or 7 (Brock Purdy is going to make even this look wrong maybe). 

That said, Mahomes didn't really win in college and he's great (but also paired with a great offensive coach and mentor).  So I'm not discounting the other guys entirely, I am worried about guys who don't perform well against good teams even when their team is even or at least capable of offensive output.

I watch quite a bit of college ball. Probably watched Michigan 4-5 times this year.

Not an every game thing, to be sure. Watching McCarthy in real time doesn't really highlight him. He does a ton, but you don't really notice it.

It's like a TV show that you watch weekly and it feels disjointed and you didn't love it...

But when you watch it all at one time you really like the flow.

That was me with McCarthy.

His strengths aren't really all that stand out. He does enough to move the chains, but not anything crazy. He scrambles and gains yards but not in giant chunks, he navigates thew offense but doesn't wow you. Part of that is the offense. Part of that is him knowing what to take and what to pass on. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

As to McCarthy, he doesn't have the big numbers that others do because they hand the ball off so much at Michigan.  Doesn't have a rifle arm.

But he's one of the best off platform in this group.  He's efficent and accurate.  And the dude can run, too.  Quick release.  I assume considering hs pregame meditation the field - he's a cool cat and has a good disposition.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

23 hours ago, KDawg said:

In a vacuum, a second for Fields is not unappealing. Especially with Kingsbury. 

However, this isn’t a vacuum and we’re picking 2 overall. 

I would not consider that. He has 1+1 left on his deal. Its nowhere close to as appealing as a 4+1, especially considering that the data back from Fields after 3 years as a starter is largely unimpressive at the main job of a QB: throwing the ball. I will say, if we had landed in the 7-12 zone as it looked like we were going to after the first half of the season, I would have considered offering Chicago our 3rd, and a conditional 4th in '25 that turns into a 3rd if he produces a top 13 QBR season in '24. Something like that. If our offer is beaten, the best I'd probably consider is floating them their own 2nd for Fields and their 2025 4th. Something like that is the sweetest I'd make it, and the reasoning is the same: if we can't land a top 3 QB in this class, I think Fields is a better prospect than whats available after the big 3, he's proven to be effective, if not a quality passer, you might be able to win with him, I don't believe that's as likely with the QB3, 4 and 5 in this class. He's also a better athlete than all 3 of those QB's to boot. So yeah, if our pick sucked, I'd be in the Fields market, and I'd be offering deals, but a straight second is not a deal I would do, no matter what. His contract status would make it a non-starter.

As is. Zero interest. Just take Maye, or Williams (granted Daniels steam is happening). 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All these guys hyping my boy Drizzy Drake up is making me nervous that the Bears might take him at 1.  For the record, I also really like Caleb and I’m cool if we get him, but I think I prefer Drake’s upside, physical tools, and personality at this point.  It’s such a no-brainer that we just stay at 2 and take whichever one the Bears don’t take.  But I will die on the hill that Jayden is going to be bust.  I will honestly stop being a fan of this team after 30 years if we take him at 2.  

• Thumb up 1

I recall the Giants brass were all over Drake during the college season, sending more scouts, etc.   Not saying Eli per se means the Giants.  But my association during the college season of Maye was with the Giants.   i think though they'd have to hope he falls.  I doubt Washington or Ne trades down.

And if it were me, Maye would be who i'd take in Washington shoes.  But I wonder if NY makes an attempt to trade up.

Drake Maye reveals Eli Manning is helping him prep for NFL Draft

By 
Social Links forChristian Arnold
Published Feb. 8, 2024, 7:00 a.m. ET

Drake Maye will be an NFL quarterback soon enough and he’s been getting some help navigating through the pre-draft process from a former Giants legend.

Maye is expected to be one of the top quarterbacks taken in the 2024 NFL Draft in April and has been getting guidance from Eli Manning. 

The North Carolina quarterback was headed to an event with Manning on Wednesday after he participated in a LIV Golf pro-am in Las Vegas, where Super Bowl 2024 is being hosted. 

“I’ve been working with Eli throughout the process, getting on Zooms and talking football with him,’’ Maye said, according to The Post Mark Cannizzaro. “I’m working out in Mobile, Alabama, and his backup quarterback in college was Dave Morris, and he’s training me for the draft. Pretty small world. And, I was at the Manning Camp this summer, so I got to see Eli and Peyton.’’

The Manning family is considered football royalty, but the NFL prospect had the chance to play 18 holes with golf royalty during the LIV event. 

Maye played alongside Phil Mickelson and Titans quarterback Will Levis.

He called the experience  “awesome” and that it was “a dream come true” getting to play with the golf legend and PGA Tour outcast after Mickelson joined the rebel LIV Golf league.

The LIV Golf event featured a number of celebrities from across the sports world. 

Jermaine Kearse, Derek Carr, Eric Ebron, Darius Butler, Danny Amendola, Jonathan Ogden, Kenny Lofton, Shane Victorino, Dexter Fowler, Kelly Slater, Radek Stepanek, Teemu Selanne, Deryk Engelland and Stephen A. Smith were among the names participating. 

https://nypost.com/2024/02/08/sports/drake-maye-reveals-eli-manning-is-helping-his-2024-nfl-draft-prep/

6 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

All these guys hyping my boy Drizzy Drake up is making me nervous that the Bears might take him at 1.  For the record, I also really like Caleb and I’m cool if we get him, but I think I prefer Drake’s upside, physical tools, and personality at this point.  It’s such a no-brainer that we just stay at 2 and take whichever one the Bears don’t take.  But I will die on the hill that Jayden is going to be bust.  I will honestly stop being a fan of this team after 30 years if we take him at 2.  

Drake's been my guy for months at #2 so i am with you on that.  Caleb I'd take though in a heartbeat if he falls.

As for Jayden, he feels boom-bust.  I'd lean positive though.  My #1 concern is injuries with Jayden.

• Like 1

I just don’t see Jayden failing at the next level outside of having it derailed by injuries. And yeah LSU has an elite S&C program but every player bulks up once they get to the NFL and that’s what I mean by that. I trust S&C will get him to where he needs to be for some of the wear and tear of the league. 

I think he is going to interview extremely well at the combine and ends up running a sub 4.4 which starts the first overall talk a little.  He is as humble as they come. 

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

In most cases a move from 9 to 2 especially in a quarterback rich draft requires two future firsts and a 2 minimum, sometimes a touch more.

With maye and Daniels there this year it'd probably be two future firsts and seconds or a second and third.

Even if the TBD is a first we'd be getting robbed.

Fields isnt remotely worth that trade down. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall the Giants brass were all over Drake during the college season, sending more scouts, etc.   Not saying Eli per se means the Giants.  But my association during the college season of Maye was with the Giants.   i think though they'd have to hope he falls.  I doubt Washington or Ne trades down.

And if it were me, Maye would be who i'd take in Washington shoes.  But I wonder if NY makes an attempt to trade up.

By 

Drake Maye will be an NFL quarterback soon enough and he’s been getting some help navigating through the pre-draft process from a former Giants legend.

Maye is expected to be one of the top quarterbacks taken in the 2024 NFL Draft in April and has been getting guidance from Eli Manning. 

The North Carolina quarterback was headed to an event with Manning on Wednesday after he participated in a LIV Golf pro-am in Las Vegas, where Super Bowl 2024 is being hosted. 

“I’ve been working with Eli throughout the process, getting on Zooms and talking football with him,’’ Maye said, according to The Post Mark Cannizzaro. “I’m working out in Mobile, Alabama, and his backup quarterback in college was Dave Morris, and he’s training me for the draft. Pretty small world. And, I was at the Manning Camp this summer, so I got to see Eli and Peyton.’’

The Manning family is considered football royalty, but the NFL prospect had the chance to play 18 holes with golf royalty during the LIV event. 

He called the experience  “awesome” and that it was “a dream come true” getting to play with the golf legend and PGA Tour outcast after Mickelson joined the rebel LIV Golf league.

The LIV Golf event featured a number of celebrities from across the sports world. 

Jermaine Kearse, Derek Carr, Eric Ebron, Darius Butler, Danny Amendola, Jonathan Ogden, Kenny Lofton, Shane Victorino, Dexter Fowler, Kelly Slater, Radek Stepanek, Teemu Selanne, Deryk Engelland and Stephen A. Smith were among the names participating. 

https://nypost.com/2024/02/08/sports/drake-maye-reveals-eli-manning-is-helping-his-2024-nfl-draft-prep/

Daniel Jones did the exact same thing. Pretty hilarious actually

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I can’t freakin believe I’m to the point that I like McCarthy more than Daniels.

I keep watching him.

And he does everything. And he played in a run first offense but came through almost every time he was needed.

Dont get me wrong… the upside on Daniels is through the damn roof. Higher than any of the prospects. But his low is low, imo.

I think I have JJ and Daniels on the same level. JJ has a better arm. Daniels is a better runner. But they are both pretty well below Caleb and Maye for me. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

By 

Drake's been my guy for months at #2 so i am with you on that.  Caleb I'd take though in a heartbeat if he falls.

As for Jayden, he feels boom-bust.  I'd lean positive though.  My #1 concern is injuries with Jayden.

Shades of RG3 crash test dummy hits.

• Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Not terribly surprising. I don't think anyone is high on Nix, and Penix is old as hell and has an absolute litany of injuries in his cv. McCarthy hasn't played a thousand years like those two guys, doesn't have injury concerns, comes in with an NFL arm, experience playing against the best of the best and with an elite recruiting class grade to boot from several years ago. He's a less blemished prospect, but a bigger unknown than the other two. Bummer as I was hoping to steal him later in 2QB/SF Dynasty leagues, sounds like I'll need to use a higher first on him than I intended (turn pick or 2nd). 

34 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

I will honestly stop being a fan of this team after 30 years if we take him at 2.

I wont go that far. But I would definitely be disappointed. If we were picking 3rd? Fine. Take Daniels or JJ. At 2 though? No thanks. 

26 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I trust S&C will get him to where he needs to be for some of the wear and tear of the league.

He just doesnt have the body type. He is small boned and frail. Look at his calves. The bone structure is miniscule. 

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think I have JJ and Daniels on the same level. JJ has a better arm. Daniels is a better runner. But they are both pretty well below Caleb and Maye for me. 

There are some interesting similarities and differences intertwined between Daniels and McCarthy. I'd say their arms are comparable; they can both make all the throws but I'd say their arms are around NFL average.

They both played on stacked teams, though in different ways. Daniels had two 1st round WRs to throw to so that helped his passing stats, and McCarthy had a beastly running game so he wasn't asked to throw a ton, but when he did he was very effective. They both had top notch OLs.

Daniels obviously has the better running ability, but McCarthy is no slouch there either. IMO McCarthy makes up for it with more demonstration of throwing into tight windows and with anticipation. From watching his cutups McCarthy also goes through more progressions whereas Daniels is very often one read and run.

McCarthy is a safer bet, but Daniels has the higher ceiling IMO.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I watch QB school a lot. He and Kurt Warner seem to really dislike QBs who come from the Air Raid

I watch plenty of QB school myself as do others here.

Air Raid offense to name that traditional pro offense like WCO takes adjusting.

But how about an Air Raid offense to another Air Raid offense?  That's what we are talking about here versus adjusting to a different style offense. 

55 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Daniel Jones did the exact same thing. Pretty hilarious actually

hilarious how?  

Though I'll give Eli, I thought he was a fairly even killed/boring dude but he's actually funny on the MNF broadcasts with his brother. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I believe his freshman year of high school. Why we are posting early teenage photos of QBs, I have no idea.

Because his bone structure has not changed. All those pretty muscles people are looking at are supported BY THAT.

• Like 1