Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Loved the whole era. Football was awesome. Reading the newspaper was our internet. Debate was face to face and there was no google to fact check our arguments, LOL

I know they are trying to protect players now,but the game was just so much better back then..

Edited by bh32
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Loved the whole era. Football was awesome. Reading the newspaper was our internet. Debate was face to face and there was no google to fact check our arguments, LOL

Your forgot the 70s.  LOL

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I hope they aren't that dumb.

Its the way of the league?

Half the reason Williams is touted so highly is because of the success of Mahomes - everyone wants the next Mahomes so they will take a guy with a sliver of his potential.

Its the same thing Josh Allen did for the big, innacurate QB with a huge arm (Will Levis).

If Lamar wins his 2nd MVP (he will) and a Super Bowl teams will def start looking for or at least be more willing to consider dual threat QBs. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Its the way of the league?

Half the reason Williams is touted so highly is because of the success of Mahomes - everyone wants the next Mahomes so they will take a guy with a sliver of his potential.

Its the same thing Josh Allen did for the big, innacurate QB with a huge arm.

If Lamar wins his 2nd MVP (he will) and a Super Bowl teams will def start looking for or at least be more willing to consider dual threat QBs. 

All three of the top QBs in this class are dual threat. The bigger questions are who is the best passer, has the quickest processing, can read defenses the best, makes the most NFL type throws currently, etc.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

All three of the top QBs in this class are dual threat. The bigger questions are who is the best passer, has the quickest processing, can read defenses the best, makes the most NFL type throws currently, etc.

Mmmkay. The point of the conversation was that we have seen many instances of a certain type of QB winning a SB or winning MVP and teams looking more towards QBs with those type of traits, just like when Brady was winning everyone wanted a "super processor" above all.

Edited by ThatNFLChick

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mmmkay. The point of the conversation was that we have seen many instances of a certain type of QB winning a SB or winning MVP and teams looking more towards QBs with those type of traits, just like when Brady was winning everyone wanted a "super processor" above all.

I think processing speed is still absolutely king overall. What's the most common thing between Mahomes, Allen, and Purdy? They all reportedly scored in the mid 90s on the S2 Cognition test, which mostly measures processing speed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think processing speed is still absolutely king overall. What's the most common thing between Mahomes, Allen, and Purdy? They all reportedly scored in the mid 90s on the S2 Cognition test, which mostly measures processing speed.

CJ Stroud supposedly failed it badly and Lamar did terrible so I don't think that test means much of anything. Bryce Young had an elite score and then went on to have one of the worst rookie seasons ever played. I don't think as much stock is put into those (and I know they tried to clean it up after Stroud played so well this season but the damage had been done)

Edited by ThatNFLChick

12 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

CJ Stroud supposedly failed it badly and Lamar did terrible so I don't think that test means much of anything. Bryce Young had an elite score and then went on to have one of the worst rookie seasons ever played. I don't think as much stock is put into those (and I know they tried to clean it up after Stroud played so well this season but the damage had been done)

Just because you have an outlier like Stroud doesn't change that most of the elite passers now have done very well on the test. I also can't find any indication that Jackson took it or that it was leaked. He did get a 13 on the Wonderlic though. Either way, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any NFL coach who would disagree that being able to process very quickly is overall an extremely important aspect to being a successful NFL QB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I guess I am confused because I thought the issue was about wanting to turn RG3 into more of a pocket passer but there has been so much back and forth that I could be totally mixed up. 

RG3 refused to be a runner anymore and was utterly incapable of being a pocket passer, while also being a total headcase. Bad combo. 

Though I prefer Maye to Daniels, Jayden is clearly IMO a better pocket passer than Robert at this point and doesn't seem to have any of the character-issues Robert was plagued with.

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Just because you have an outlier like Stroud doesn't change that most of the elite passers now have done very well on the test. I also can't find any indication that Jackson took it or that it was leaked. He did get a 13 on the Wonderlic though. Either way, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any NFL coach who would disagree that being able to process very quickly is overall an extremely important aspect to being a successful NFL QB.

The S2 basically replaced the Wonderlic. 

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The S2 basically replaced the Wonderlic. 

Yes, but it's very different. The Wonderlic tests overall intelligence, like an IQ test, whereas the S2 tests how quickly and accurately someone processes information, which is a far more useful measurement when it comes to playing a high speed game like NFL football. Especially with regards to the QB position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes, but it's very different. The Wonderlic tests overall intelligence, like an IQ test, whereas the S2 tests how quickly and accurately someone processes information, which is a far more useful measurement when it comes to playing a high speed game like NFL football. Especially with regards to the QB position.

I also put stock into the S2 team's remarks that Stroud's result was flagged because it suggested he straight up didn't try. Obviously if you don't put forth the effort, you'll fail most any test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Bullock.  He was in love with Haskins as a prospect.  Loved him.  But like I said we all get things wrong.  I don't think there is a single draftnik type who doesn't have a blackeye on multiple QBs.

I agree with his point on Maye's accuracy on the first level being sketchy.   I've made the same point.  Footwork issues that i think can be fixed.   When Maye's on his game he looks special.  But he has some things that need to be cleaned up.

I think Daniels is given more of a pass as QB than Maye is because what's not there for him isn't mistakes, its what he omits from his game.  That is, not making tight window throws and the fact that he doesn't like to throw off platform much, when he's flushed out of the pocket he runs a lot.  Neither variable typically works in the NFL.

I am intrigued by either QB.  I prefer Maye.  Both have question marks.  But what prospect doesn't have question marks?  It comes with the turf.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I disagree that all 3 are dual treat QB's but Agree on Patrick Mahomes, that everybody is looking for the next one. Lamar,J.Hurts,A.Richardson,J.Fields,K. Murray maybe Watson are what most consider dual treats, They are run first or run more, teams have to adapt and build around them after college while learning to upgrade their pass skills later. A.Richardson is the latest project with Lamar as the best dual treat after developing. The top 3 this year are real good runners after the pass play breaks down and are better passing QB's. Howell had 800 yards 1 year he is not a dual treat. Mahomes can beat you anyway he wants and has many skills most likely from playing baseball in college before he went all out for FB. Agree with who is the best passer and everything that comes with it will be the key for them and who will pick them.

Man I thought I was a big Maye fan, that Joe guy blows me out of the water LOL

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

I disagree that all 3 are dual treat QB's but Agree on Patrick Mahomes, that everybody is looking for the next one. Lamar,J.Hurts,A.Richardson,J.Fields,K. Murray maybe Watson are what most consider dual treats, They are run first or run more, teams have to adapt and build around them after college while learning to upgrade their pass skills later. A.Richardson is the latest project with Lamar as the best dual treat after developing. The top 3 this year are real good runners after the pass play breaks down and are better passing QB's. Howell had 800 yards 1 year he is not a dual treat. Mahomes can beat you anyway he wants and has many skills most likely from playing baseball in college before he went all out for FB. Agree with who is the best passer and everything that comes with it will be the key for them and who will pick them.

Mahomes isnt really a dual threat in the typical sense. He moves to buy time to make crazy throws but hes not an explosive runner. He actually looks kinda awkward when he runs. Its his ability to make every throw while running without really sacrificing velocity or accuracy that makes him special. Jackson is a true dual threat and Goff and Purdy are obviously pure pocket passers with little to no mobility to speak of.

Id put Maye closer to the Mahomes tier of mobility. In actuality hes kinda like Josh Allen or Big Ben(bit smaller but bit faster) as a thrower-runner combo. Williams is closest to Mahomes and Daniels closest to Jackson. 

Its an exciting QB crop for sure and were VERY fortunate we tanked so hard well have a chance at two of the three.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Brady was winning everyone wanted a "super processor" above all.

They still do. Whatever the physical profile and ability it’s still processing ability and decision making which will make or break a QB at NFL level.

• Like 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

So this Joe guy must have attended UNC, has family that works for UNC, and is a paid member on UNCs board of directors.

Either that or he had a super fun night. lol

That is a take.

In fairness, he did chart every pass and game he played his career. His take on what he sees could be biased but it’s not made up.

He did it for others too. I can’t find his take on Caleb, but he didn’t like Jayden.

5 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

In fairness, he did chart every pass and game he played his career. His take on what he sees could be biased but it’s not made up.

He did it for others too. I can’t find his take on Caleb, but he didn’t like Jayden.

I don't mind people giving their opinion but him challenging other evaluators and questioning them considering how loud and wrong he has been on his QB evaluations in the past is crazy. He blocked Bullock because he didn't agree with him. Just like he blocked a bunch of Washington fans who said the team should move on from Howell because he was insistent that Howell was a top 10 QB this year. 

The draft is a crapshoot. Nobody knows anything more than anyone else. Sometimes "sure things" don't work out in the NFL and QBs on nobody's radar end up in the MVP conversation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Man I thought I was a big Maye fan, that Joe guy blows me out of the water LOL

he's a close 2nd , you're 1A he's 1B....but I'm slowly becoming a Maye fan as well, at least over Daniels...and who knows after all the Combine, Pro Days etc  stuff...Maye might move to the top of most ppl's list...or fall 

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

• Thumb up 1