Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, El Mexican said:

I really hope someone does.

If we take a new QB that's gonna get ugly.

I mean, yet another QB controversy in how many years?

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I know people will get up in arms about having 2 young QBs on the same roster (PUT IN THE BACKUP and Fan Favorite!) and many coaches avoid it.  But it seems dumb to jettison a cheap backup option out of fear the shiny new QB.... sucks. Oh in that case the ONLY solution is to move to a vet who'll be gone at the end of a year?  The book cannot be completely written on Howell in such a high level dysfunctional organization.

I didnt like taking Cousins but I was wrong and it worked out fine. The other guy sure seems to often be the better guy. I think Maye and Howell would have no issues being on the same team.

Agree on style but friends? If you draft Daniels you need the same type QB , look at B-More they even had RG3 there. So you would have to trade Howell, cannot have to different play designs it would seem.

4 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I have a strange question not sure it’s been brought up. Of the top 16 teams with an abundance of cap space. The only team that I would see fit Kirk Cousins more than us would be Atlanta. Would he like to work with Slowik or Johnson? Then we could draft MHJ or trade down from our spot for a ransom. 

I thought about that too, Howell the backup. You have the cap space and picks for the rebuild. no risk you know what your getting.

4 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I have a strange question not sure it’s been brought up. Of the top 16 teams with an abundance of cap space. The only team that I would see fit Kirk Cousins more than us would be Atlanta. Would he like to work with Slowik or Johnson? Then we could draft MHJ or trade down from our spot for a ransom. 

I'm a Kirk guy but suggesting they bring him back when they should and will be drafting their QB of the future (or at least they hope) was a very brave thing to do.  

9 hours ago, El Mexican said:

I really hope someone does.

If we take a new QB that's gonna get ugly.

I mean, yet another QB controversy in how many years?

Sam is a pro and will handle backup duty like a pro if thats how it shakes out.  Whats he gonna do, hold out and demand a trade?

• Thumb up 3

48 minutes ago, illone said:

Sam is a pro and will handle backup duty like a pro if thats how it shakes out.  Whats he gonna do, hold out and demand a trade?

We just don't know what happens now that his mentor RR is out.

Practically every QB selected in the NFL has a life-debt to his first head-coach, the one who hand-picked him to lead the franchise.

It would be absolutely normal for Sam to be attached to RR.

He can demand a trade and would have the upper hand.

But maybe the new FO is actually run by big boys and lets him go to a team with a better profesional outlook, no strings attached (just the usual trade comp).

I mean, now EVERYONE knows we're gonna take a QB. I can't see how this is a win for Howell. 

8 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

We just don't know what happens now that his mentor RR is out.

Practically every QB selected in the NFL has a life-debt to his first head-coach, the one who hand-picked him to lead the franchise.

It would be absolutely normal for Sam to be attached to RR.

He can demand a trade and would have the upper hand.

But maybe the new FO is actually run by big boys and lets him go to a team with a better profesional outlook, no strings attached (just the usual trade comp).

I mean, now EVERYONE knows we're gonna take a QB. I can't see how this is a win for Howell. 

sam had a shot and didnt take advantage. He may or may not get another shot. I think youre making this a bigger issue than it actually is

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Sam wont be the first guy to lose his job to a rookie, if that's how it plays out. 

SH is under team control and rookie contract for the next two seasons. Thats a good situation for Washington cap wise and talent wise. 

Ultimately Howell doesn't have much control unless the team cuts him, and due to the contract is a great backup option should something happen with the assumed new Qb the team selects at #2. 

Being the backup for a season or two is certainly not the worst outcome for a 5th round pick. It's not like he pissed down his leg all year, you could argue he had more good tape than bad.

I guess I am kinda confused as to why the team would get rid of him at this point. They'd then have to replace him with another draft pick or sign someone else that will cost a lot more. With the amount of holes on this roster, every draft pick counts and the new GM is very talented at finding day 2 and 3 players in the draft.

What am I missing?

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

I recently renewed my PFF subscription because they’re really good with their draft content. I did not realize that Sam graded out to be the 50th ranked passer in 2023. Even including backups. 57.6 passing grade.  That combined with his QBR and EPA numbers being extremely low has me thinking a smart, analytical GM like I assume Peters is might be totally out on Sam. I mean I didn’t realize his numbers had gotten that bad. He was legit one of the worst QBs in the league last year. At this point, there’s zero chance they run it back with him so that debate is dead. Now I wonder if he’s even the backup next year. Legitimately. What would be the selling point? He’s young? So will the new guy. Wouldn’t be surprised if they bring another vet in.

IMG_3026.png

IMG_3027.png

IMG_3024.png

IMG_3023.png

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

12 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I recently renewed my PFF subscription because they’re really good with their draft content. I did not realize that Sam graded out to be the 50th ranked passer in 2023. Even including backups. 57.6 passing grade.  That combined with his QBR and EPA numbers being extremely low has me thinking a smart, analytical GM like I assume Peters is might be totally out on Sam. I mean I didn’t realize his numbers had gotten that bad. He was legit one of the worst QBs in the league last year. At this point, there’s zero chance they run it back with him so that debate is dead. Now I wonder if he’s even the backup next year. Legitimately. What would be the selling point? He’s young? So will the new guy. Wouldn’t be surprised if they bring another vet in.

IMG_3026.png

IMG_3027.png

IMG_3024.png

IMG_3023.png

Somebody actually paid for the top list PFF premium? 

I don’t find any of those #’s surprising.  There are those moments that allow you to see the future.  Once Sam drove down to cut the lead to 1 score just before the half on Thansgiving and the defense immediately gave up a TD in less than a minute, I knew that was the beginning of the end.    Even as someone who liked Sam, I only expected things to get worse and worse down the stretch.

• Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t find any of those #’s surprising.  There are those moments that allow you to see the future.  Once Sam drove down to cut the lead to 1 score just before the half on Thansgiving and the defense immediately gave up a TD in less than a minute, I knew that was the beginning of the end.    Even as someone who liked Sam, I only expected things to get worse and worse down the stretch.

What does the top list Mean, nothing I can see. Nothing but a fluff sat and was only put in their to make Howell look like the worst QB in the league. The bottom 2 lists I agree with ESPN 24 or so that's about right Howell, was better than a hand full of QB's. 

I'm not a big Howell fan.  I was in here much earlier in the season saying Howell wasn't good enough, and they were likely going to need another QB, especially thinking he's coming into the 3rd year of his deal.

However, he's better than a lot of QBs on those lists above him.  First year, long year, new offense, bad OL, questionable skill players.  He got worn down physically, mentally, and probably emotionally over the season and played much worse at the end then his ability.  In the right spot, he could definitely get a team to the playoffs, but he also has limits.  And so you need another QB.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

What does the top list Mean, nothing I can see. Nothing but a fluff sat and was only put in their to make Howell look like the worst QB in the league. The bottom 2 lists I agree with ESPN 24 or so that's about right Howell, was better than a hand full of QB's. 

The top list is PFF.

The fact is Howell did play terribly down the stretch and it sunk whatever good he had going for him.  The culmination of all those hits, hopeless season for a hopeless regime, against the toughest stretch of the schedule, it was inevitable.

13 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

There are, at a minimum, 64 NFL QB jobs with two for each team. Probably more like 80-85 on the 53 man roster and more including practice squads. I think the selling point is Howell's here and he's cheap. The team will already need to bring in at least one more QB just to fill out the 53. If we think that's the #2 pick (very likely), then the question becomes who else do they bring in? Another draft pick? A UDFA? A veteran? All are possible, but the odds any of them are better than Sam Howell in 2024 is probably not great. Let's also not act like Howell is a finished product. He's young, he just played his first season with any real action, and he had to deal with some significant hinderances (like the OL). There's reason to believe he can improve. I think the only way he's not here is if the team brings in someone else cheap and that person impresses in camp. Until then, you stick with what you have.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm not a big Howell fan.  I was in here much earlier in the season saying Howell wasn't good enough, and they were likely going to need another QB, especially thinking he's coming into the 3rd year of his deal.

However, he's better than a lot of QBs on those lists above him.  First year, long year, new offense, bad OL, questionable skill players.  He got worn down physically, mentally, and probably emotionally over the season and played much worse at the end then his ability.  In the right spot, he could definitely get a team to the playoffs, but he also has limits.  And so you need another QB.

Agree, just not the list.

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The top list is PFF.

The fact is Howell did play terribly down the stretch and it sunk whatever good he had going for him.  The culmination of all those hits, hopeless season for a hopeless regime, against the toughest stretch of the schedule, it was inevitable.

Post was about the list and what was intented. 

20 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The entire NFL uses PFF as part of player evaluation 

Anybody that uses that list get's nothing out of it. Maybe they need to stop using them, they are not setting the world on fire when it comes to picking the right QB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Howell is damaged goods and his ultimate ceiling just isnt high enough to justify passing on a QB with a top two pick in a loaded class. Were not talking about drafting a Kenny Pickett or Christian Ponder here. We got a shot at a Josh Allen or Justin Herbert here. 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:19 PM, illone said:

Sam wont be the first guy to lose his job to a rookie, if that's how it plays out. 

SH is under team control and rookie contract for the next two seasons. Thats a good situation for Washington cap wise and talent wise. 

Ultimately Howell doesn't have much control unless the team cuts him, and due to the contract is a great backup option should something happen with the assumed new Qb the team selects at #2. 

Being the backup for a season or two is certainly not the worst outcome for a 5th round pick. It's not like he pissed down his leg all year, you could argue he had more good tape than bad.

I guess I am kinda confused as to why the team would get rid of him at this point. They'd then have to replace him with another draft pick or sign someone else that will cost a lot more. With the amount of holes on this roster, every draft pick counts and the new GM is very talented at finding day 2 and 3 players in the draft.

What am I missing?

You're missing nothing. Except for the fact that maybe the new FO wants to go ahead and start from a clean slate.

Steelers aren’t hiring EB, they’re so stuck in their ways that the 2 guys who’ve been running the offense since they fired Matt Canada will retain the job (specially after what Mason Rudolph has been doing) plus just that, they have 3 QB’s under contract now so no way they give any compensation up for Howell