Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

QB is such a stupid crap  shoot.

This ☝️

30% hit rate in round 1.  I know, you don't stop trying if you don't have one.  That's the conumdrum with Howell but I have a feeling "real" football people, not media, casual observers, etc. thinks there's something there.  Even McDaniels said watch out on Hard Knocks, Sam's a baller. 

Hope he shows out the remaining games.

As an aside, if the team follows the Eagles way, they'd trade down in the 1st round and load up for next year to protect themselves.  Give Howell another year.  They just keep moving.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

So what are you going to do about the damn OT that you have no chance to get now? Is the new QB going to make it the whole year? Mahomes is the only one I know who can throw it while on the ground. I guess we could blame it on coaching and the QB holding the ball too long, or the PFF no.s say they are good, the QB has a noodle arm or the usual we can get by and draft more D. Top teams have top OL's just saying. It's not a slam dunk to just take the new QB and not think of the whole rebuild. There are options and the new staff has to make the right one and do their homework with everything considered. 

Invest Free Agent Money, and multiple picks in the top 75 of the class. That is not a shallow investment. If you use a top 40 pick on an OL, the expectation is that they will either step in and start, or be ready to start early in the year. Early 3rds and late 3rds invested in the OL carry rather strong hit rates in comparison to other positional cohorts. 

If the team goes away from OL with its first pick you can rest assured they will use draft capital on day 2, and possibly early day 3 to address the OL, and there is no doubt whatsoever that they'll want to invest $$$ in FA on either starters or depth options to replace the largely embarrassing options we have in reserve right now.

Getting fixated on having Fashanu or Alt isn't going to fix an OL that has only 2 legit starters and an injured 3rd rounder with starter upside in Stromberg. Additionally it's worth noting that to fix the OL will require a number of actions, not just one. Draftees go down for the year often in year 1, our 2nd rounder from 2 years ago didn't even play his rookie year by and large (and he was a moronic pick to begin with), whether an Alt or a Fashanu is healthy or not, the ugly truth is we'd likely plug them in to play one of the few positions we actually have reasonable talent starting at, and how much would theat genuinely move the needle? Long term it would help, short term we need 3 new starters plus better backups (considering our current backups can't supplant horrendous options we use as starters) for inevitable cluster injuries. 

OL is going to take at least 2 years to fix, it's not a "take that OL at the top of the draft" kind of issue. QB is that kind of issue, same with TE, to some extent same with WR, or Edge. But OL? OL is basically an 8-10 person unit that takes years to build, or wreck. The current issue was years in the making, you can't fix it in one offseason or with a top draft pick. 

• Like 2

Jayden Daniels 2024 NFL draft scouting report, projection

kiper-jr_mel.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
Mel Kiper Jr., Football analystDec 9, 2023, 09:15 PM ET

We've seen quarterback prospects skyrocket to the top of the board in recent years -- Baker Mayfield (2018), Kyler Murray (2019) and Joe Burrow (2020) all went No. 1 overall -- but the leap Daniels has made is scarcely believable based on what we saw a few seasons ago, both in his passing prowess and in the way he has added weight to his 6-foot-4 frame.

How did Daniels get here? Where has he improved most? And where could he get drafted in April? Let's dive into his biggest strengths and what NFL scouts and front-office executives will be watching for over the next few months:

His strengths as a runner: Daniels is a dual-threat playmaker who can keep defenses off balance with his legs. He's a deceptive runner with the way he can glide by defenders and make them miss, and he has the speed and quickness to produce on designed runs and on scrambles at the next level. He rushed for 1,134 yards during the regular season and has 3,307 rushing yards across five seasons in college.

Where Jayden Daniels Ranks No. 1

STAT TOTAL
All stats are for 2023 and include the entire FBS
Total QBR 95.6
TD passes 40
TD passes from inside pocket 35
Yards per attempt 11.7
Yards per dropback 10.9
20-plus-yard passes 70

As much as the NFL has evolved over the past decade to include more dual-threat passers, there are only four starters who had a 1,000-yard rushing season in college: Deshaun Watson (2015), Lamar Jackson (2016 and 2017), Kyler Murray (2018) and Jalen Hurts (2019). That's elite company for Daniels, who averaged 8.4 yards per carry this season, which tops those other four QBs' seasons by more than a full yard.

How much of that was via scrambles, and how much was from designed runs? Daniels averaged 9.1 yards on 58 designed rushes and 12.8 yards on 55 scrambles. (Remember, college football counts sacks toward rushing stats, and he was sacked 22 times.) During Jackson's Heisman-winning season in 2016, he averaged 8.6 yards on a whopping 150 designed rushes and 9.3 yards on his 51 scrambles. So you can see how efficient Daniels was this season, and how dangerous he is when he gets a full head of steam in the open field.

Check out Daniels' awareness and speed on this 49-yard fourth-down scramble against Texas A&M, which happened with LSU down by 10 in the third quarter. He gets near-immediate pressure to his left, slips the edge rusher and makes an immediate decision to "go" -- darting down the sideline before he's chased down by a defensive back. Here's another outstanding run, this time a designed draw that goes for 40 yards against Florida State. He makes multiple defenders miss with his quickness.

Daniels is going to be able to make these plays early and often at the next level, but it's where he has improved in the passing game that has really raised his draft stock.

His strengths as a passer: Daniels has seen tremendous growth in his completion percentage, going from 60.7% in his freshman season at Arizona State to 68.6% in his first year at LSU to 72.2% this season. Let's highlight his improvement on specific throws, though -- ones that aren't easy.

In 2019, Daniels completed 49% of his passes of at least 10 air yards. That ranked 49th in the FBS. That's pretty solid, especially for a true freshman, and he had 11 TD passes and just one interception on those throws. Last season? He completed 52.1% of those passes (27th) and had six TDs with no picks. Again, that's good.

But this season? Daniels took it to a different level. He completed 62.6% of his passes of at least 10 air yards, with 29 TDs and one INT. That completion percentage ranked second -- just behind Michigan's J.J. McCarthy (64.2%) -- and his TD numbers blew away the competition, with only Nix (22), Penix (21) and Liberty's Kaidon Salter (21) topping 20. In fact, Daniels' 29 TDs on those throws ties him for fifth-most in a season since 2013, with Joe Burrow (34 in 2019), Baker Mayfield (31 in 2016) and Watson (29 in 2016) among the passers in the top group.

Daniels' jump in accuracy has been amazing, and he's only going to get better. He sees the field incredibly well and makes good decisions. I highlighted a few of his passing stats above, but he also ranked second in the FBS this season in catchable pass attempt rate (85.3%), third in adjusted completion rate (78.5%) and fourth in off-target rate (6.8%).

The best part about Daniels? He only runs when a play breaks down. He does almost all of his passing damage from inside the pocket. Thirty-five of his 40 touchdown passes this season were from inside the pocket, which ranked first in the FBS. Watch him step up into this 26-yard touchdown throw to Malik Nabers against Army. That's precision. Here's a beautiful 29-yard deep ball to Kyren Lacy that went for a score against Ole Miss. And here's a perfect go-ball to Nabers that came on fourth down against Mississippi State, resulting in a 33-yard score.

All of these throws show Daniels' growth as a pure passer, as he only averaged 6.9 yards per dropback in the pocket last season. He was at 10.8 in the same stat this season.

...The other strength I haven't mentioned much is Daniels' ability to take care of the football. He has 20 career interceptions on 1,438 attempts, which is simply incredible. He has lost six of 11 fumbles over his five college seasons, including two in 2023. To put that into perspective, Jackson and Hurts combined for 50 fumbles -- 25 apiece -- over seven college seasons.

Daniels, who turns 23 later this month, has the edge over Nix and Penix because of his size, playmaking ability and week-to-week consistency. He distanced himself from those guys down the stretch, taking the next step in his development. He could be a fantastic NFL player.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39033068/jayden-daniels-lsu-tigers-2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-projection-pick-heisman

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Probably UDFA because Maye would have taken his job, but if he came out a year earlier than he did, he was a top 10 pick.

QB is such a stupid crap  shoot.

Admittedly in a known ---- class. I have heard a person or too in the draft mediasphere say that the "Good Howell" of the earlier fall, and of his '20 season was good enough to merit going around 5th in the '23 class after Young, Stroud, Richardson and Levis in the early-mid 2nd. 

That's what he was considered as a QB, before the fateful final season. Hes a 2nd rounder in a good class, I don't think he was ever really a 5th rounder, that was more about team needs, "fit" concerns, a bad last season and a crappy class. 

He was and is a good, solid QB prospect, but he's more in that Jimmy Clausen historical context as a prospect than a Cam Newton if people get my drift. Doesn't mean he can't be great, good or above average, just means, tool set, and prospect profile was always that of a solid to good prospect, not an elite one. Sometimes the guys are better than anyone thought, sometimes they're worse. Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Admittedly in a known ---- class. I have heard a person or too in the draft mediasphere say that the "Good Howell" of the earlier fall, and of his '20 season was good enough to merit going around 5th in the '23 class after Young, Stroud, Richardson and Levis in the early-mid 2nd. 

That's what he was considered as a QB, before the fateful final season. Hes a 2nd rounder in a good class, I don't think he was ever really a 5th rounder, that was more about team needs, "fit" concerns, a bad last season and a crappy class. 

He was and is a good, solid QB prospect, but he's more in that Jimmy Clausen historical context as a prospect than a Cam Newton if people get my drift. Doesn't mean he can't be great, good or above average, just means, tool set, and prospect profile was always that of a solid to good prospect, not an elite one. Sometimes the guys are better than anyone thought, sometimes they're worse. Time will tell. 

Crap shoot. Lets get some coaches in here who are better teachers and game planners, along with more talent and then figure out what we have.

Eagles were ready to punt on Hurts and trade for Wilson, but when they got turned down, they built around him and went to the superbowl.

Let's build the team and see what we have, while drafting other QBs early or late and and hope for some of that Cowboy/49er/ Patriot Luck.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I kind of agree and disagree that its a crap shoot. The studies from 20 years ago did found that nothing reliably helps like #'s of draft picks, which underlines your first two words. Otoh, historically there are definitely differences between organizations and how effectively they utilize draft capital or not. Some are very effective, some are not. Some understand positional cohorts and cost effectiveness, some do not. You can guess where we fit on the spectrum. I think the hitting on picks issue is close to a crap shoot though some orgs are just a touch better or more than others, but I think draft approach, there are smart orgs, dumb orgs, and middle of the road ones. That, plus the moderate to low differences in hit rate underline why its critical to get this thing right. It's an edge for smart teams and a liability for dumb ones. 

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I kind of agree and disagree that its a crap shoot. The studies from 20 years ago did found that nothing reliably helps like #'s of draft picks, which underlines your first two words. Otoh, historically there are definitely differences between organizations and how effectively they utilize draft capital or not. Some are very effective, some are not. Some understand positional cohorts and cost effectiveness, some do not. You can guess where we fit on the spectrum. I think the hitting on picks issue is close to a crap shoot though some orgs are just a touch better or more than others, but I think draft approach, there are smart orgs, dumb orgs, and middle of the road ones. That, plus the moderate to low differences in hit rate underline why its critical to get this thing right. It's an edge for smart teams and a liability for dumb ones. 

You'd do a better job debating this than me since this has been your mantra for years which is take advantage of the better QB drafts.   And you've lamented we didn't or didn't have the opportunity.

This draft is billed as one of those drafts.  The argument against that point by some is well no guarantees.  Sure.  There are no guarantees for any player in any draft its about playing the odds.

This franchise has made blunder after blunder at QB.  A decision on Sam Howell one way or another can easily be in that pile when we look back years from now.  Either way.  Some believe the only mistake they can make is not fully buying in to Howell.  IMO that indeed could be a mistake as to not riding with Howell.  But it also could be a mistake ignoring other possibilities.

If we pass on a QB, possibly the 2nd most heralded or 3rd in a rich QB draft.  Mind you, not the 2019 draft where the 2nd best means Daniel Jones and the third means Haskins, 4th Drew Lock, etc -- but a draft that on paper rivals the 2012 draft at QB.    That there is no way this can't be an additional mistake added to the pile of QB mishaps like not digging Aaron Rodgers, Herbert -- its wild that its not even possible to some that it could be a mistake passing over one of these guys.

I've estabished my Sam Howell stripes on this thread and big time so.  I've defended him to death.   But I am not with the crowd that he's untouchable.

And some act like you can't evaluate his tools and its purely about production for better or worse and or projecting production.  IMO a good evaluator indeed can evaluate Howell's tools and give an educated guess if he has elite upside and conversely the same for Drake, Daniels, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Howell certainly isn’t untouchable. And quite frankly, at some point in this draft, we’re going to need to go QB. The question is where…

I think there are some decent prospects in this class in the later round projections and I’m not as sold on the higher level prospects. But who knows what happens. We’ll see.

If the new regime does go QB with a top 5 pick, I still think they should let Howell start in 2024.

You never know how a draft pick will fare in the NFL until you have them in their building and they're practicing with the team. Give them a year to learn the system and acclimate to the pros. In the meantime, you see what you have in Howell with the new system and an improved OL. If Howell blows you away, you can extend him and trade the rookie. If he falters and the rookie looks great in practice, you can start him in 2025 and let Howell play out the last year of his deal as backup without extending him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell certainly isn’t untouchable. And quite frankly, at some point in this draft, we’re going to need to go QB. The question is where…

I think there are some decent prospects in this class in the later round projections and I’m not as sold on the higher level prospects. But who knows what happens. We’ll see.

If they lose this Sunday I am going to start watching Drake Maye closely, so far its just been casual watching from me.  I still think picking #2 is a long shot.  But its not crazy anymore that they could be.  I used to think no way they could be picking that high.  But things are starting to converge where its not that crazy anymore.

I know you are higher on Daniels if I recall than Maye.

And again I am not saying to take one of them.  Just saying I'd put a lot of money on the idea that the upcoming FO will spend a lot of time researching these QBs.  And I gather based on some posts here (not yours) and on other threads the prospect of even considering another QB is big time disappointing to some.    I'd wager a bet if so that people need to buckle up and be braced to be dissappointed then.  Not saying they take a QB.  But I'd say its almost slam dunk that they will spend a lot of time researching this issue.

I am guessing once Keim leaks in February or whenever that this FO is diving hard into some of these QBs, some here will lose it.  :ols: I feel bad because that seems really inevitable.  I dont think there is any chance that this FO will decide to absolutely ignore this and put no thought into this drafts QBs as some expect and want them to do.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they lose this Sunday I am going to start watching Drake Maye closely, so far its just been casual watching from me.  I still think picking #2 is a long shot.  But its not crazy anymore that they could be.  I used to think no way they could be picking that high.  But things are starting to converge where its not that crazy anymore.

I know you are higher on Daniels if I recall than Maye.

And again I am not saying to take one of them.  Just saying I'd put a lot of money on the idea that the upcoming FO will spend a lot of time researching these QBs.  And I gather based on some posts here (not yours) and on other threads the prospect of even considering another QB is big time disappointing to some.    I'd wager a bet if so that people need to buckle up and be braced to be dissappointed then.  Not saying they take a QB.  But I'd say its almost slam dunk that they will spend a lot of time researching this issue.

I am guessing once Keim leaks in February or whenever that this FO is diving hard into some of these QBs, some here will lose it.  :ols: I feel bad because that seems really inevitable.  I dont think there is any chance that this FO will decide to absolutely ignore this and put no thought into this drafts QBs as some expect and want them to do.

I think Daniels has a higher upside than Maye. But he has intermediate accuracy issues. Maye I like, but we have Drake Maye at home. He’s Howell. Just bigger and faster and, imo, not as hard nosed. 

It’s a pick ‘em.

Williams has the highest upside. But I think he has the lowest downside.

I don’t love this QB class at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Daniels has a higher upside than Maye. But he has intermediate accuracy issues. Maye I like, but we have Drake Maye at home. He’s Howell. Just bigger and faster and, imo, not as hard nosed. 

It’s a pick ‘em.

I'm in this camp as well.  I don't see anything in this QB class that's going to significantly be better than Howell.   I just don't feel the next Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning is in this draft at all.   

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Invest Free Agent Money, and multiple picks in the top 75 of the class. That is not a shallow investment. If you use a top 40 pick on an OL, the expectation is that they will either step in and start, or be ready to start early in the year. Early 3rds and late 3rds invested in the OL carry rather strong hit rates in comparison to other positional cohorts. 

If the team goes away from OL with its first pick you can rest assured they will use draft capital on day 2, and possibly early day 3 to address the OL, and there is no doubt whatsoever that they'll want to invest $$$ in FA on either starters or depth options to replace the largely embarrassing options we have in reserve right now.

Getting fixated on having Fashanu or Alt isn't going to fix an OL that has only 2 legit starters and an injured 3rd rounder with starter upside in Stromberg. Additionally it's worth noting that to fix the OL will require a number of actions, not just one. Draftees go down for the year often in year 1, our 2nd rounder from 2 years ago didn't even play his rookie year by and large (and he was a moronic pick to begin with), whether an Alt or a Fashanu is healthy or not, the ugly truth is we'd likely plug them in to play one of the few positions we actually have reasonable talent starting at, and how much would theat genuinely move the needle? Long term it would help, short term we need 3 new starters plus better backups (considering our current backups can't supplant horrendous options we use as starters) for inevitable cluster injuries. 

OL is going to take at least 2 years to fix, it's not a "take that OL at the top of the draft" kind of issue. QB is that kind of issue, same with TE, to some extent same with WR, or Edge. But OL? OL is basically an 8-10 person unit that takes years to build, or wreck. The current issue was years in the making, you can't fix it in one offseason or with a top draft pick. 

So when do you want to (start) fixing the OL if it takes years as you say? Most thought that was happening last year but they went for the sexy picks. Sexy pick again this year (QB)?  QB's, TE's and WR's usually take a couple years to break out too. Did you want DB's last year? How did that work out for the people that did? Our high pick can only be a QB is bull....? I am not fixed on any player or position and have not brought up any names of players in the draft. I am fine with Howell or a QB, TE, WR the players that that are supposed to be there. But the OL needs to be fixed or at least started this draft or F. Agencey. They just need to make the right choices.  

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It’s a pick ‘em.

Watching Daniels IMO his acuracy in between the numbers is good on the 2nd level, not so much out routes.   He rushes his throws though sometimes in the flat

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s a pick ‘em.

Maye is hyped by most as special.  Part of what made me buy into is when I was watching Downs last year and Nesbit this year, Maye looked really sharp. 

But I'll sit down and watch.  I haven't studied him yet.

My draft crush is Daniels. He is tall and looks like he can and will add more weight to his frame. Has a big arm, just as accurate if not more so than sam. But he has game breaking speed at the qb position. We need speed. I like Williams, maye, and Daniel's and if we have a chance at one without having to trade up you do so. Sam looks like he will be good at best. He is to short to step up in the pocket so he runs right into sacks. He holds the ball to long which leads to more sacks. He forces throws into double and triple teams. He throws lots of ints and throws tds to the other team. His accuracy isn't great. He has had some big drops on important plays but the ball always seemed to be on the back hip instead on the numbers or out in front making the catches more difficult, no excuse for the drops but the passes should've been better. I do like that he is tough and he does really well off script quite often. But the bad outweighs the good with him. If you gotta chance at one of the top 3 qbs you gotta take it. Keep sam and let them compete. If sam is as good as some claim and as tough as some claim then he should be able to mentally handle it. And if sam wins the job good, if the rookie does good. We gotta keep trying til we find our guy

On 12/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Crap shoot. Lets get some coaches in here who are better teachers and game planners, along with more talent and then figure out what we have.

Eagles were ready to punt on Hurts and trade for Wilson, but when they got turned down, they built around him and went to the superbowl.

Let's build the team and see what we have, while drafting other QBs early or late and and hope for some of that Cowboy/49er/ Patriot Luck.

Couldn’t agree more. Feels like we’re in that Trent Green category again, where we’re not happy with what we have. If we don’t build the roster, any QB is gonna look bad, see Carolina…

Edited by lovemaskins
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Sorting through the first QB taken in drafts in the 2000s, plenty of successes, some more successful than others.  But heck I don't think too many people would be crying if we had a Matt Ryan run with our next QB.

Matt Stafford, Kyler Murray, Trevor Lawrence, Jarred Goff, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Joe Burrow, Eli Manning.  More successes than just them but its not a series of bums.  Yes some busts.  But its not so much a crap shoot if you take a ballyhooed QB early, there is some risk but nothing insane -- unless the defintion of crap shot is the dude ends up a good QB and not great.

The Bengals were stuck in purgatory until striking gold with Burrow.  The Bills ditto until Josh Allen albiet a down season this year.   Trevor Lawrence has made trhe Jags relevant again.

As you know, striking on oil at the QB spot changes a bad organization to a good organization often in a short amount of time.    this isn't a religion we are familiar with because we haven't experienced it.  But this dynamic does actually exist.  It's not a fantasy.

Taking a QB who many rated as a 2nd rounder in the late first ala Ramsey and Campbell or a QB that some draft geeks like but our own scouting department rated as a third rounder in the mid first round -- isn't playing this game.

We've not dived into the deep end of the pool save for RG3 in 2012 and that did work for a year at least.  We had to give up the farm for RG3.  We are talking about a rare situation where we likely can get a QB right at where we pick.  From what I recall that only happened here once and that was for Heath Shuler -- yes he sucked but that's about 30 years ago.  It's not you should never try again because of one bad experience.   Heck the Bengals got it right with Carson Palmer.  Then blew it with Akili Smith.  Then got it right again with Joe Burrow. 

Maybe they should pull the trigger or maybe not.  i don't know.  But I do know they'd be nuts not to give it serious thought.

• Thumb up 1

It would be so tempting to ride with Howell and use this years first on OL, a stud playmaker or even trade down, then see what we have in Howell. But when will we ever pick this high again and have the opportunity to get a top QB? If Sam proves to not be the guy this year we are probably going to be stuck outside the top 5 and looking to trade up or be out of the running all together in next years draft. Going to be a fascinating few months. This GM pick couldn't be more important. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

It would be so tempting to ride with Howell and use this years first on OL, a stud playmaker or even trade down, then see what we have in Howell. But when will we ever pick this high again and have the opportunity to get a top QB? If Sam proves to not be the guy this year we are probably going to be stuck outside the top 5 and looking to trade up or be out of the running all together in next years draft. Going to be a fascinating few months. This GM pick couldn't be more important. 

Yes lets just build around Howell. I am all in on that one. Pusing all my chips in and even changed my avatar as well, :) 

As for the top QB - how many top QB have won SB in the last 10 years? Yes, I am looking at you Josh Allen. Is it guaranteed that if we go with one of the QB in the draft of 2024 we will be a SB team? That is how I look at it. The answer is no. The team as a whole unit still sucks and will be no better with these so called top QBs. Look what San Fran has done with Purdy. When Purdy was without his top playmakers he was just a pedestrian QB. Howell is hell of a lot better than Purdy. At least Howell was projected to go either 1st or 2nd, don't think Purdy was ranked that high at all. 

I go with a QB with 2 years of experience in the NFL who has done more with less. Could you imagine what he can do with more?