Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wilson = 3rd round pick

Brees = 2nd round pick

Bryce Young and Kyler Murray had elite college production which likely allowed them to overcome height concerns. 

Wait, so there's a production limit in college that allows you to overcome height in the NFL? What is the height cutoff for who can truly become an elite NFL QB? What's the ratio of college production vs height? Do you gain an inch of functional height with every 20 TDs? So if you're 6'0 but you tossed 40 TDs in college you can pretend you're 6'2?

I'm not trying to be a smartass but it doesn't strike me as an overly convincing argument because it's pretty vague.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I broke down and listened to the Sheehan podcast, at least part of it, just to see if it was worth adding back to the rotation.  The answer was a resounding "nope." 

On Howell, he just CAN'T get off the point that he didn't believe in him over the summer and repeatedly said he thought Brissett should start.  ** I'm picking up that narrative from others, I didn't listen to confirm.  BUT in the podcast I did listen to, he started with "Yes he was great.  BUT that doesn't mean anything.  We don't know what he's going to develop into based on beating Arizona and Denver." 

Which, while somewhat true, just came off as "I can't say I was wrong for wanting Brissett to start.  So, I'll say Howell was good but we still don't know." At least that' show it played to me.

Then he gave him an A- grade, and said he was the best QB we've had in ages.  I was predicting "Since Kirk."  But he didn't actually say it.  And then heaped more complements on him.  

The juxtoposition of the "Yeah he played really well, he's going to develop" contrasted with the "I can't say I might have been wrong so I'm just going to say we don't know yet" was odd at best and off putting at worst.  

Contrast that to Bram, who said on his radio show yesterday, "I was entirely wrong about everything I predicted about the game, except for one thing."  (The one thing is the Broncos would wear down at the end of the game.)  He stepped up and said everything he predicted was wrong.  I appreciate that.

Sheehan has turned into a thin skinned, gambling obsessed, somewhat bland podcast host who teeters between "captain obvious," "contrarian take" (which he picked up from gambling), and carnival barker/shock jock.  From time to time (at least before I stopped listening to his drek) he would have moments of brilliance, but they were too few and far between for me.

I hope you listen to Galdi.

In 2 games Sam has just over 500 yards passing, but we don’t have a single receiver who has 100 yards cumulative over those two games. Terry leads receivers with 85 yards - but doesn’t have the most targets. 10 players have caught a pass.

The ball is being spread around. This is a good thing - it’s also another tick in the box for Sam, he’s not keying in one or two receivers and forcing the ball.

• Like 16

44 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In 2 games Sam has just over 500 yards passing, but we don’t have a single receiver who has 100 yards cumulative over those two games. Terry leads receivers with 85 yards - but doesn’t have the most targets. 10 players have caught a pass.

The ball is being spread around. This is a good thing - it’s also another tick in the box for Sam, he’s not keying in one or two receivers and forcing the ball.

I feel like he's just getting started. Sams playing what's called and following the reads. The more comfortable he gets, he'll start looking for Terry more.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like he's just getting started. Sams playing what's called and following the reads. The more comfortable he gets, he'll start looking for Terry more.

He doesn’t need to force it to Terry. Just keep doing what he’s been doing (sans the sacks from holding it!)

Terry will make his plays just like last week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Was going to say the same thing. Seems like a lot if greenhorn QB's tend to Hobe in on certain guys. It can help, if that certain guy is a beast, like w Wentz/Ertz early on, or maybe Young Eli/Plaxico, but he is getting the ball to the best match-up, and that seems like a rare quality for a young guy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

I swore off getting into PFF arguments.  Then you post this and I, very much against my better judgement watched it.

Now I feel compelled to write War and Peace about it. 

I am going to refrain with just this comment: the guy on the left had an absolutely moronic take on Sean Payton and some ridiculous tin foil hat theory I didn’t understand.  I can see why Collinsworth would employ his dumb ass and put him on the air.

I’m just going to let the rest of the absolute idiocy go and not start a PFF fistfight for no reason. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Something wasn’t right on that play above. Two receivers running to that same spot.

That was a staple of the Scott Turner offense lol...

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I swore off getting into PFF arguments.  Then you post this and I, very much against my better judgement watched it.

Now I feel compelled to write War and Peace about it. 

I am going to refrain with just this comment: the guy on the left had an absolutely moronic take on Sean Payton and some ridiculous tin foil hat theory I didn’t understand.  I can see why Collinsworth would employ his dumb ass and put him on the air.

I’m just going to let the rest of the absolute idiocy go and not start a PFF fistfight for no reason. 

Did PFF fire you? Is that it? lol...

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

Sam Howell

Grade: A
Season Grade: B+

High-Caliber Throws/Plays: 

• Howell's first completion of the game did come on a throw to a wide open Jahan Dotson, but he was smacked as he threw the football and it was a long attempt at the numbers.  
  • On his second read, Howell ripped a laser through a closing window over the middle to Logan Thomas for 18 yards. 
  • With under a minute to go in the first half, Howell fired a rope in the sideline hole of cover 2 to John Bates for 35 yards. 
  • Early in the third, he escaped a looping Randy Gregory and weaved his way for 12 yards on the ground. 
  • His touchdown to Terry McLaurin was spectacular. Anticipation, courage and ideal ball placement behind and over Justin Simmons

Low-Caliber Throws/Plays: 

• Late in the second, he stepped up away from pressure then held the ball longer to take a bad sack. 

Summary: This was a sneaky outstanding performance from Howell in his first road start in the NFL. Didn't have an accuracy issue whatsoever, and while he did take a few sacks and was strip-sacked in the fourth quarter, he more than countered with a handful of high-caliber tosses deep down the field. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

He doesn’t need to force it to Terry. Just keep doing what he’s been doing (sans the sacks from holding it!)

Terry will make his plays just like last week.

Not exactly how I meant that. I'm not saying that he'll start to key in on Terry, just that he'll learn to look for him when nothing seems open. Knowing Terry will find the ball.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Two exceptions. Most QBs are at least 6'2'' minimum.

It does matter. Doesn't mean Howell can't be good. But if he were a bit taller, he could potentially be great.

I'm with Warhead on this. He's not saying Howell won't be good, just may not end up great. To quote Wilson and Mahomes as exceptions doesn't work for me as both are renowned as not being "pocket passers" and tend to scramble or roll out to throw. Whether that's cos they are shorter than average I don't know but it's interesting to me.

Also we were specifically told in the offseason that the team wanted to sign shorter linemen to help Howell see the field better. As far as I know that actually didn't happen so I guess that's another knock on Rivera, but could also signal an upcoming issue for Howell running the whole playbook.

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

It's playing hell with my gambling strategy! When I'm watching the game I like a bet on yards and/or TDs for McLaurin and Dotson. At least I won $500 on the win over Denver 😎